Dreams

mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Dreams

 I have a theory that atheists have an edge when it comes to achieving their dreams. The reason why is because we have only this one life, and we know it. 

Typical religious folk believing in an afterlife, have very little reason to hustle like time is short. 

 

I was wondering if some of you guys and gals could post your dreams (your real life major goals) and we could bs about how that journey is going. 


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Only stand out dream I have

Only stand out dream I have is to get a book I have written published. It doesn't have to sell, As long as some one thinks it is good enough to try sell. That is enough, none of that self publishing nonsense though.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: I have a

mindcore wrote:

 I have a theory that atheists have an edge when it comes to achieving their dreams. The reason why is because we have only this one life, and we know it. 

Typical religious folk believing in an afterlife, have very little reason to hustle like time is short. 

 

I was wondering if some of you guys and gals could post your dreams (your real life major goals) and we could bs about how that journey is going. 

I tend to agree but, I call them 'goals', not dreams. I don't think ambition is only for the atheist, though...look at all the fundi preachers who have achieved their goals ($$$).

My immediate goal is to make my business successful enough to support myself and maybe a few employees down the road, while providing a service to the community. So far, not so good.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


NoID10ts
atheist
NoID10ts's picture
Posts: 19
Joined: 2009-08-18
User is offlineOffline
Religion destroyed my

Religion destroyed my longest held dream of being a film maker. I abandoned the dream because I believed God was calling me into the ministry. I actually viewed the abandonment of my dream as a sacrifice to God. I went to a Baptist college and then seminary only to discover it was all bullshit in my early 30's. So now here I am, 36 years old, married with three kids, and working as a middle school computer tech which currently has "imminent layoff" written all over it. Going to film school just isn't a realistic option for me any more.

My new dream is to get a book published. We'll see.


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1710
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
I went to public schools. I

I went to public schools. I had interest in playing football in high shool, but could not being an SDA. The junior varsity played on Saturday and that is the sabbath. Who knows I could have been giving glory to my lord and savior in professional football if I hadn't been in a fundie church. I certainly was big enough to play in the offensive line.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Day Dream Believer

My dream is to determine whether neurons fire consciousness ( Dennett) or consciousness fires neurons ( Chalmers )

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
NoID10ts wrote:Religion

NoID10ts wrote:

Religion destroyed my longest held dream of being a film maker. I abandoned the dream because I believed God was calling me into the ministry. I actually viewed the abandonment of my dream as a sacrifice to God. I went to a Baptist college and then seminary only to discover it was all bullshit in my early 30's. So now here I am, 36 years old, married with three kids, and working as a middle school computer tech which currently has "imminent layoff" written all over it. Going to film school just isn't a realistic option for me any more.

My new dream is to get a book published. We'll see.

 

I went back to college divorced with 3 kids - and now I'm going back at age 60 with just my husband and I and way too much debt.  So the student loans are keeping us afloat.

School is always possible - it is just to figure out how.  And sometimes, just to be desperate enough.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
dreams

At one time, I wanted to rule the world.  That didn't happen.

And then I was going to be CEO of some mega-corporation.  Not only did that not happen, now I wouldn't take the job without some serious money - you know, hundreds of millions per year sort of money.

So now, I'm just dreaming of being comfortably retired some day.  House fixed up and paid off, bills down to just utilities, able to hire someone to do the heavy work.  I don't want to have a motor home, but I might like to take a few trips to other countries.  It would be really special if I could have a vacation home on the Oregon coast. 

Not very ambitious at this time.  Maybe the master's degree I'm working on will help me get a job where I can afford that vacation home.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1970
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: I have a

mindcore wrote:

 I have a theory that atheists have an edge when it comes to achieving their dreams. The reason why is because we have only this one life, and we know it. 

Typical religious folk believing in an afterlife, have very little reason to hustle like time is short. 

It's funny you should post this.

Over the years, of observing humans, there are patterns that emerge, particularly in groups, or segments of the population. This method of observation is called 'stereotyping' and is not considered 'politically correct'.

As I'm neither a politician, nor a diplomat, I don't give a ch1t what other's 'think'. 

I have free will, and I can discriminate anyway I wish. I'm not a hypocrite, and discriminate using 'borrowed' discriminatory dogma. I make up my own mind, and stand on my own two feet.

I tend to avoid anyone who believes in any god, or even, an afterlife, for the very reasons listed in the OP.

Very simply, people who believe in any god, is not in full command of their mind. It's really that simple. They can hold two completely incompatible views, simultaneously. Cognitive dissonance.

That's like a split personality. They're extremely irrational as a result. There's no reasoning with an unreasonable person, when you're in conflict with that part of their brain that they're not in command of (the dogmatic portion)

It's like dealing with an insane person, or someone who's possessed.

 

The second part, is that humans, are complacent, by nature, in varying degrees.

Add that with the assumption that there is a 'heaven', and you get someone who thinks this life is merely a moratorium placed in between their birth, and the afterlife. They think that earth is some kind of 'waiting room', and become complacent.

There's little urgency, there's less motivation to do things that are difficult, or overcome obstacles quickly.

If life were eternal, the mere 70-90 yrs that we believe most of us will live on earth, are of little consequence to the infinity of a supposed 'afterlife'.

Which makes them willing to suffer through almost any and all inconveniences. Which makes them accept things that I refuse to accept in my life, for the simple reason of how it wastes the little time that I have left before I die.

They don't care about 'getting in right, in this life' nearly as much as I do. For the simple reason that the 'second life' is their 'backup'. This life is mostly an inconvenience to their 'backup'.

They're willing to wager this life, for the assumption that there's another one.

All based on 'circular reasoning', which is no reasoning whatsoever, and dovetails exactly with my earlier comments about not being able to reason with unreasonable people, because they're just the same as insane people.

Now, I say that I try and avoid them, but that doesn't mean that I won't associate with them. But my relationships with them are superficial, and transient in nature.

Like, I would never want a theist wife, or mother of my children. But, I'd have a sexual relationship with her.

 

mindcore wrote:
I was wondering if some of you guys and gals could post your dreams (your real life major goals) and we could bs about how that journey is going. 

I've exceeded where I ever thought I could be.

More than once.

I credit it all to reading.

Knowledge is power.

 

The End

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 NoID10t I sympathize. I

 NoID10t I sympathize. I was part of Christian hardcore band which wasted a ton of my creative energy. I also feel you working for a school system with an imminent lay off going on. We have a lot in common here. 

But life is still its own opportunity. 

 

What do you write? 

 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:My dream is to

TGBaker wrote:

My dream is to determine whether neurons fire consciousness ( Dennett) or consciousness fires neurons ( Chalmers )

 

I am very much into philosophy of mind and neuroscience. I have a B.S. in neuroscience. Are you in school? What is your path to this beautfiul goal?

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Only stand out

Tapey wrote:

Only stand out dream I have is to get a book I have written published. It doesn't have to sell, As long as some one thinks it is good enough to try sell. That is enough, none of that self publishing nonsense though.

 

Do you have your book written yet?

What do you write about?

 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:At one time, I

cj wrote:

At one time, I wanted to rule the world.  That didn't happen.

And then I was going to be CEO of some mega-corporation.  Not only did that not happen, now I wouldn't take the job without some serious money - you know, hundreds of millions per year sort of money.

So now, I'm just dreaming of being comfortably retired some day.  House fixed up and paid off, bills down to just utilities, able to hire someone to do the heavy work.  I don't want to have a motor home, but I might like to take a few trips to other countries.  It would be really special if I could have a vacation home on the Oregon coast. 

Not very ambitious at this time.  Maybe the master's degree I'm working on will help me get a job where I can afford that vacation home.

 

 

Whats your masters in?

Your life is a love story!


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote:cj wrote:At

mindcore wrote:

cj wrote:

At one time, I wanted to rule the world.  That didn't happen.

And then I was going to be CEO of some mega-corporation.  Not only did that not happen, now I wouldn't take the job without some serious money - you know, hundreds of millions per year sort of money.

So now, I'm just dreaming of being comfortably retired some day.  House fixed up and paid off, bills down to just utilities, able to hire someone to do the heavy work.  I don't want to have a motor home, but I might like to take a few trips to other countries.  It would be really special if I could have a vacation home on the Oregon coast. 

Not very ambitious at this time.  Maybe the master's degree I'm working on will help me get a job where I can afford that vacation home.

 

 

Whats your masters in?

 

This instant, I'm still a post-bac.  But I would like to have a master's in Computer Science, Software Engineering and Security.

Software engineers get paid real good money around here, and it is reasonably interesting.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:I went to

ex-minister wrote:
I went to public schools. I had interest in playing football in high shool, but could not being an SDA. The junior varsity played on Saturday and that is the sabbath. Who knows I could have been giving glory to my lord and savior in professional football if I hadn't been in a fundie church. I certainly was big enough to play in the offensive line.

 

I just saw your log and loved it! Jack Van Impe is such a fucking character. 

 

I posted your blog on my twitter. On reddit. And on my facebook! 

 

Great stuff! Jesus Needs Money is awesome! http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 C.J. I am rooting for you.

 C.J. I am rooting for you. I have also considered in getting into computers. I am teaching right now, but budget cuts are coming in a big way. I am expecting to be in a job that I could have gotten without my degree very soon. 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mindcore

Sandycane wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 I have a theory that atheists have an edge when it comes to achieving their dreams. The reason why is because we have only this one life, and we know it. 

Typical religious folk believing in an afterlife, have very little reason to hustle like time is short. 

 

I was wondering if some of you guys and gals could post your dreams (your real life major goals) and we could bs about how that journey is going. 

I tend to agree but, I call them 'goals', not dreams. I don't think ambition is only for the atheist, though...look at all the fundi preachers who have achieved their goals ($$$).

My immediate goal is to make my business successful enough to support myself and maybe a few employees down the road, while providing a service to the community. So far, not so good.

 

I merely suggest that atheists may have more of a motive to succeed since there is no milk and honey for us beyond the grave. 

 

If it sounded like I suggested only atheists could have dreams or goals I apologize for sounding so terminally retarded. 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mindcore

Sandycane wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 I have a theory that atheists have an edge when it comes to achieving their dreams. The reason why is because we have only this one life, and we know it. 

Typical religious folk believing in an afterlife, have very little reason to hustle like time is short. 

 

I was wondering if some of you guys and gals could post your dreams (your real life major goals) and we could bs about how that journey is going. 

I tend to agree but, I call them 'goals', not dreams. I don't think ambition is only for the atheist, though...look at all the fundi preachers who have achieved their goals ($$$).

My immediate goal is to make my business successful enough to support myself and maybe a few employees down the road, while providing a service to the community. So far, not so good.

 

I merely suggest that atheists may have more of a motive to succeed since there is no milk and honey for us beyond the grave. 

 

If it sounded like I suggested only atheists could have dreams or goals I apologize for sounding so terminally retarded. 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mindcore

Sandycane wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 I have a theory that atheists have an edge when it comes to achieving their dreams. The reason why is because we have only this one life, and we know it. 

Typical religious folk believing in an afterlife, have very little reason to hustle like time is short. 

 

I was wondering if some of you guys and gals could post your dreams (your real life major goals) and we could bs about how that journey is going. 

I tend to agree but, I call them 'goals', not dreams. I don't think ambition is only for the atheist, though...look at all the fundi preachers who have achieved their goals ($$$).

My immediate goal is to make my business successful enough to support myself and maybe a few employees down the road, while providing a service to the community. So far, not so good.

 

I merely suggest that atheists may have more of a motive to succeed since there is no milk and honey for us beyond the grave. 

 

If it sounded like I suggested only atheists could have dreams or goals I apologize for sounding so terminally retarded. 

Your life is a love story!


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
My own dreams

Like Tapey stated, I would like to see some of the short fiction and stories that I write in my spare time published.

The only other thing I really desire is more travel.

I have been lucky enough to ride across much of the United States, both on motorcycle runs and riding alone.

I'd  love for the opportunity to ride across Europe and Japan one day.

 

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: Do you have

mindcore wrote:

 

Do you have your book written yet?

What do you write about?

 

I mainly write Fantasy but its not the only thing I have tried.

 

For the most part I have been writing just to keep myself busy, It's only quiet recently that I've decided to seriously try get published.

 

I have two completed, neither of which are publishable to my knowledge, I don't consider either of them particularly good anyway. I also have 5 unfinished ones varying in how complete they are from 5k words to about 60k words. These I have stopped writing for whatever reason. Neither of the finished ones are publishable, both are to long and highly likely not good enough. Not that I have tried to get them published or anything.


This year the plan is to write something that is publishable. Surprisingly I have gotten better at it and it has been a while since I saw one through to the end, I always decide I don't like the story half way through. I have just scrapped an old project and I have begun planning a new one, hopefully its my year, probably not but all the same. At least I'm doing something.

 

 

For anyone else who wants to get published here is the word counts for need to be in range of, I have seen similar numbers everywhere.

http://worddreams.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/word-count-by-genre/

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:mindcore

Tapey wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 

Do you have your book written yet?

What do you write about?

 

I mainly write Fantasy but its not the only thing I have tried.

 

For the most part I have been writing just to keep myself busy, It's only quiet recently that I've decided to seriously try get published.

 

I have two completed, neither of which are publishable to my knowledge, I don't consider either of them particularly good anyway. I also have 5 unfinished ones varying in how complete they are from 5k words to about 60k words. These I have stopped writing for whatever reason. Neither of the finished ones are publishable, both are to long and highly likely not good enough. Not that I have tried to get them published or anything.

 

This year the plan is to write something that is publishable. Surprisingly I have gotten better at it and it has been a while since I saw one through to the end, I always decide I don't like the story half way through. I have just scrapped an old project and I have begun planning a new one, hopefully its my year, probably not but all the same. At least I'm doing something.

 

 

For anyone else who wants to get published here is the word counts for need to be in range of, I have seen similar numbers everywhere.

http://worddreams.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/word-count-by-genre/

 

It sounds like you have your hustle well planned. Have you heard the "Adventures in Sci Fi Publishing" podcast. They have a lot of fantasy authors on that show and its mostly geared towards publishing your own work through a major publisher. 

 

Would you like a link?

Your life is a love story!


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote:It sounds

mindcore wrote:

It sounds like you have your hustle well planned. Have you heard the "Adventures in Sci Fi Publishing" podcast. They have a lot of fantasy authors on that show and its mostly geared towards publishing your own work through a major publisher. 

 

Would you like a link?

I found it. I will take a look this weekend when I have time. Thanks

 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote:TGBaker

mindcore wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

My dream is to determine whether neurons fire consciousness ( Dennett) or consciousness fires neurons ( Chalmers )

 

I am very much into philosophy of mind and neuroscience. I have a B.S. in neuroscience. Are you in school? What is your path to this beautfiul goal?

No, I'm 56 with a 23 month old boy so not much time for school. I love reading Krick/Koch, Susan Blackmore, the Churchlands, Penrose, Searle etc.;  My degree was in theology. I did philosophical studies as well.  But given my temperment I do better doing my own research. I'm reading Sam Harris's The Moral landscape presently. Have you run across Chalmers new book yet? Where are you at with your studies?

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3917
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: I have a

mindcore wrote:

 I have a theory that atheists have an edge when it comes to achieving their dreams. The reason why is because we have only this one life, and we know it. 

Typical religious folk believing in an afterlife, have very little reason to hustle like time is short. 

 

I was wondering if some of you guys and gals could post your dreams (your real life major goals) and we could bs about how that journey is going. 

My dream is to get my sanity back just lead a nice life after being taken by religion. Not really into status or extreme wealth, just want to travel a bit have a few adventure. The stress and worry with starting a business is too much, even if I succeed, the government takes most of the wealth in taxes. Better off just making enough to be happy and having a few inexpensive hobbies.

So I don't really agree with your premise that being an atheist would make one hustle more. The new testament teaches that lazy servants will not get into heaven, there are Christians that work their ass off to impress Mr. Invisible and other Christians. My attitude is why stress out if I don't have anyone to impress?

I'm not really sure if religion makes a person more or less of a risk taker. One would think that because the bible teaches 'Do not worry, because Mr. Invisible will take care of you', 'even if you die you go strait to heaven' religion would have a lot of risk takers. I think in some cases like the pilgrims and original Mormons this was true. But if you go to your typical church today you find just the opposite.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 TgBaker,  I have not

 TgBaker, 

 

I have not read Chalmes, but I am familiar with the zombie masters argument. I will have to read him though. I am hugely into Dennett, and I love Blackmore. In fact, it would be safe to say that I am obsessed with meme theory.  I have not read Sam Harris's new book, but I know many of his positions and tend to agree with Sam about pretty much everything.  I have watched the Churchlands give lectures on the internet and am definitely persuaded by what I have heard. 

 

You've probably already read it but if not, Demasio's "Feeling of what happens?" is an excellent book on consciousness. 

 

For me this is all just interesting food for thought. This stuff and memes are still very much driving my day to day life. (metaphorically and possibly literally). 

 

My hobby, my dream, is all heavily centered around art, particularly comic book art, so I have been reflecting in my own writing about what are the implications of meme theory for every day life, our human experience, etc.  Of course I would like people to think more about questions of consciousness as well, and this is also a part of what I am into. 

 

I tend to fall in the Dennet camp pretty solidly. I may even be a kind of epiphenominalist. But I say all this tongue in cheek. I know a lot about the physiology of the brain, and it definitely still fascinates me. But my day job is teaching fifth grade, and my real passions are not so academic. 

 

I guess my goal has more to do with getting people who are not into this kind of stuff already to start thinking about it. 

Could you tell me what you find appealing about Chalmer's position?

 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:mindcore wrote: I

EXC wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 I have a theory that atheists have an edge when it comes to achieving their dreams. The reason why is because we have only this one life, and we know it. 

Typical religious folk believing in an afterlife, have very little reason to hustle like time is short. 

 

I was wondering if some of you guys and gals could post your dreams (your real life major goals) and we could bs about how that journey is going. 

My dream is to get my sanity back just lead a nice life after being taken by religion. Not really into status or extreme wealth, just want to travel a bit have a few adventure. The stress and worry with starting a business is too much, even if I succeed, the government takes most of the wealth in taxes. Better off just making enough to be happy and having a few inexpensive hobbies.

So I don't really agree with your premise that being an atheist would make one hustle more. The new testament teaches that lazy servants will not get into heaven, there are Christians that work their ass off to impress Mr. Invisible and other Christians. My attitude is why stress out if I don't have anyone to impress?

I'm not really sure if religion makes a person more or less of a risk taker. One would think that because the bible teaches 'Do not worry, because Mr. Invisible will take care of you', 'even if you die you go strait to heaven' religion would have a lot of risk takers. I think in some cases like the pilgrims and original Mormons this was true. But if you go to your typical church today you find just the opposite.

 

You may be right.

 

I hope that you recover nicely from the abuses that you suffered in religion. You seem to have it made as far as having very easily attainable goals. 

 

My whole life is about my goals, and people who think this sort of thing is a waste of time are likely to find me an idiot on most counts. But you know, different strokes for different folks. Live and let live. 

 

 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 I accidently posted twice

 I accidently posted twice and cant figure out how to delete. Sorry. 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Like

harleysportster wrote:

Like Tapey stated, I would like to see some of the short fiction and stories that I write in my spare time published.

The only other thing I really desire is more travel.

I have been lucky enough to ride across much of the United States, both on motorcycle runs and riding alone.

I'd  love for the opportunity to ride across Europe and Japan one day.

 

 

 

We seem to have a lot of writers. This is great! 

What kind of stuff do you write?

 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
I dont know what I keep

I dont know what I keep doing to double post, and I still haven't found the delete option. Sorry. 

Your life is a love story!


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
mindcore

mindcore wrote:

 TgBaker, 

 


Could you tell me what you find appealing about Chalmer's position?

 

 

I really don't think Penrose/Hameroff's quantum consciousness is a viable alternative or theory.  I like to have a dialectic running and Chalmers gives a good antithesis. Qualia still in some sense makes me pause even when I consider that the "what it is like to be" may simply be self referential regression but then we regress and experience that as well. I can imagine the state of a philosophical zombie though I think it is not possible. The Something about Mary argument still has an existential esthetic tinge to it for me even though I think the qualia red we experience simply a mental symbol of a visual language. As for as self-reference  Hofstader's I am a Strange Loop did not get enough attention I believe.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:mindcore

TGBaker wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 TgBaker, 

 

 

Could you tell me what you find appealing about Chalmer's position?

 

 

I really don't think Penrose/Hameroff's quantum consciousness is a viable alternative or theory.  I like to have a dialectic running and Chalmers gives a good antithesis. Qualia still in some sense makes me pause even when I consider that the "what it is like to be" may simply be self referential regression but then we regress and experience that as well. I can imagine the state of a philosophical zombie though I think it is not possible. The Something about Mary argument still has an existential esthetic tinge to it for me even though I think the qualia red we experience simply a mental symbol of a visual language. As for as self-reference  Hofstader's I am a Strange Loop did not get enough attention I believe.

 

I have a buddy of mine, a philosophy student who wrote an essay against qualia. I am going to see if I can dig it up for you. Perhaps we could discuss it?

Your life is a love story!


NoID10ts
atheist
NoID10ts's picture
Posts: 19
Joined: 2009-08-18
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: NoID10t I

mindcore wrote:

 NoID10t I sympathize. I was part of Christian hardcore band which wasted a ton of my creative energy. I also feel you working for a school system with an imminent lay off going on. We have a lot in common here. 

But life is still its own opportunity. 

 

What do you write? 

 

I've been working on a humorous sci fi story story for a while now, but just can't seem to get it finished. I keep rewriting and rewriting before I even get a complete first draft (huge mistake!). I've also been developing an idea that would envision an afterlife where the fundies were right all along, only heaven turns out to be a kind of dystopia and Jesus sets out to free humanity from himself/god. Obviously it would be a satire as well, but I'm still in the development stages of that one.

I also have a couple of half assed blogs that I barely keep up with: http://csmith1974.wordpress.com/ and http://noid10ts.wordpress.com/

The first one is my serious attempt at blogging about religion and the second one is idiotic and juvenile and I might take it down soon.


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote:I have a

mindcore wrote:

I have a buddy of mine, a philosophy student who wrote an essay against qualia. I am going to see if I can dig it up for you. Perhaps we could discuss it?

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }a:link { }

Here is where I am stuck:

 

Mary was born with complete color blindness. Yet she had an acute gray scale ability of discernment. She could usually tell a color by comparing one shade of gray with another. This was certainly a factor that led her to major in and devote her life to neuroscience. She was an expert in the area of the brain that processed color. She could tell you all about the color red in scientific detail and point it out when she say that particular gray shade of a rose. One day she dropped a book she was carrying on her walk to work. When she bent over to pick it up she was struck by a passing car. Surgery had to be done to the left side of her brain As the surgeon repaired her brain she also removed a small lesion near the area damaged by the accident. After several days Mary woke to a world of color. The first thing she saw was the dozen roses her boyfriend had brought. The first thing that Mary said was, “So that is red!”

 

What do we use for this new addition in Mary's experience? We certainly do not have to call it qualia. Yet contrary to the implications some derive from the reversed color spectrum argument I think that we all experience something very similar to each other. Your red is pretty much my red simply from an evolutionary/functional perspective. So when we use the word red (verbal) it points not directly to an external stimulus. Rather its reference is this particular mental state we experience which in turn is an objectification or reference to an external condition. I imagine before we learned writing the verbal expression was more directly tied to this experience. Now the written word is tied to its verbal origins and directly to the mental state and directly to the external causal factors themselves.

 

Even if you throw in the reversed spectrum argument whatever your conscious experience of red is it would function as above. With synesthesia the sufferer often experiences a number as colored such as the number 5 as red. We know that the area of the brain that deals with represented numbers ( the 5) is near the area of the brain that deals with color. Neuronal paths have simply snuck out of their arena. This can happen with the word “five”. And if it happens with the idea of “five” one says that five feels red without any actual visual experience of red!( maybe a semi-zombie moment). Now some of the split brain research seems to indicate as exampled by Ramachandran  that the left brain and right brain may have separate conscious experiences. We also have various experiences that support theories that one can be aware of something but not “conscious” of the awareness. Perhaps the unconscious awarenesses are conscious states that are simply localized in some part of the brain but not unified in the particular state we tend to think of as consciousness. In a split brain patient the left brain may like a dress during shopping but the right brain may not. The left brain may say it does not believe in God while the right brain professes (again examples given by Ramachandran ). Neither is aware of the others thought or experience. It is not these moments of awareness I think are qualia but their experience of them in the “unified state” that may be what is pointed to be qualia. There was a recent neuroscience paper that somewhat shadows Julian Jaynes:

 

http://www.frontiersin.org/consciousness_research/10.3389/fpsyg.2011.00004/full

 

At the outset, it is important to distinguish primary sensorimotor consciousness from higher-order consciousness (Edelman, 1992, 2003). Primary consciousness occurs in animals lacking any linguistic capabilities, and is an essential process even in humans. After the invention of language it was possible to escape the “remembered present” of primary consciousness by referring to internal linguistic tokens. As a result, possession of true language with syntax in humans gives rise to higher-order consciousness allowing its possessor to be conscious of being conscious. We emphasize this distinction to make the point that our overarching task here is to account in biological terms for primary consciousness. At the same time, such an account necessarily depends on investigation of human subjects, with their ability verbally to report, as the richest source of relevant data.

 

This conscious of being conscious ( the strange loop of Hofstader ) seems to be this unified consciousness that is possibly the result of language if not written language creating a sense of “I”. Syntax wants a subject. Conscious experience is a proto-language dealing with information processing.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: We seem to

mindcore wrote:

 

We seem to have a lot of writers. This is great! 

What kind of stuff do you write?

 

I don't really know what you would classify mine as.

Their generally like real-life dramas with people.

One particular lengthy one that I have been writing on for a while is about a man that carelessly kills another in an accident and has to serve time in jail, he gets out and ends up befriending the widow and the daughter of the man he killed. It is a little more complex than that, but that sums it up in a nutshell.

Another one involves a teenager's suicide attempt. Each chapter is told through the viewpoint of the mother, the father, his older brother and himself.

Another one involves a mentally ill young man that hitch-hikes and drifts across the country and all of the various characters that he meets.

If you really had to sound down my influences, William Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy play a heavy part in the stories that I write.

Ever since I have been living down south, quite a bit of rural, country, gothic stuff has been turning up in my word processor as of late.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
Game Developer

So I had a dream of becoming a Game Designer/Developer.  I went to college at IUPUI and took the only game programming class there which was in Actionscrip/Flash.  In the last couple of weeks in the class our instructor told us to create a game of our choosing using the knowledge we learned in class.  I decided to create a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics.  I really didn't have enough time to make an entire game, but I did make a demo which was 1 stage, a couple enemy slimes with path finding AI.  My teacher was impressed enough to suggest I go a college that would focus on game development.  His idea was Full Sail Real World Education in Winter Park Florida.  I took the next semester off school to work to afford the move and start up expenses of going to Florida.  After visiting the college I found out that it was not like a normal college in that I was on a set course from beginning to end and that I would be taking 2 classes ever month instead of semesters which would put me at a Bachelors degree in 21 months. 

After graduating college I was given an offer to be a Network programmer by a company called Flagship Studios.  I took the job and started working on Hellgate: London and Mythos.  After the release of Hellgate: London, and realizing that my interest was not network programming I decided to head back to Indiana.  In Indiana I was contracted to work on a game for the Indianapolis Children's Museum. The project was part of the Lego Castle Exhibit.  After that contract was over, I struggled to find a job for a while and took on a job as just a software developer for Imagine Products Inc.  Due to financial difficulties of the company they had to let me go.

At this time my friend suggest we start making games on our own.  So we decided to start our own company called 2 Cat's 'n a Sack Studios LLC which was started in January of this year.  We are currently working on our first title and hope it will be the start of many.

 

Now I dream of making games that people really enjoy.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Hmmmm..... dreams...... I

 Hmmmm..... dreams...... I have never really been very good at starting with a dream and achieving it. Usually I start and decide it is too much work and a waste of my valuable time. I take a rather laid back approach to life and allow things to happen while taking advantage of opportunities.

 

I have never had an ambition to have a certain job or take up a certain career. Really, I am the least ambitious person I know. I make money solely for the purpose of making money to live the lifestyle I desire. I work jobs to keep from boredom and because I spend too much money if I don't work semi-regularly. Currently I am working as a real estate appraiser because of a late night at a poker table next to a guy who was trying to start up an appraisal company. The longest I have ever stuck to one job field is 3 years. Whenever I reach the point where I dislike my job (or boss) I quit. I have never understood why so many people gripe about their jobs every day but continue showing up. Life is too short for that.    

 

I have taken a fancy to the idea of buying a winery for my retirement because I love wine country and it would be fun to own one. Not sure if I will ever have that kind of money but if I end up with enough.

 

I would also like to hunt everywhere I can before I die but I don't really approach it in a systematic way. I decide on an annual basis where I feel like hunting this year. This year I am planning on turkey in South Carolina, pheasant in South Dakota and probably javelina and/or deer in Texas. I wanted to take a trip to Zimbabwe this year but that trip has been delayed until next year.

 

Of course, every hunting trip lowers the chances of me ever having enough money to buy a winery...... oh well. I have a friend who is very ambitious and motivated, maybe I can convince her to buy a winery and just move in with her until I get sick of it.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 You know, with all the

 You know, with all the people on here wanting to publish books, maybe someone on here needs to get into the publishing business. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to set up and market a website for e-publishing. If you do a decent job at quality control and marketing you should be able to set up regular web traffic. Many e-publishing sites have no editing/quality control, they just post anything which leads to a lot of garbage. If there was a site a person could go to and be reasonably confident that any books purchased would be decent to good I imagine they would come back. The really ambitious person could then invest in printing equipment and sell the books to a series of small bookstores across America. Just saying, seems like a money making opportunity to me.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: You

Beyond Saving wrote:

 You know, with all the people on here wanting to publish books, maybe someone on here needs to get into the publishing business. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to set up and market a website for e-publishing. If you do a decent job at quality control and marketing you should be able to set up regular web traffic. Many e-publishing sites have no editing/quality control, they just post anything which leads to a lot of garbage. If there was a site a person could go to and be reasonably confident that any books purchased would be decent to good I imagine they would come back. The really ambitious person could then invest in printing equipment and sell the books to a series of small bookstores across America. Just saying, seems like a money making opportunity to me.

 

I think you are onto something here. 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:So I had a dream

Magus wrote:

So I had a dream of becoming a Game Designer/Developer.  I went to college at IUPUI and took the only game programming class there which was in Actionscrip/Flash.  In the last couple of weeks in the class our instructor told us to create a game of our choosing using the knowledge we learned in class.  I decided to create a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics.  I really didn't have enough time to make an entire game, but I did make a demo which was 1 stage, a couple enemy slimes with path finding AI.  My teacher was impressed enough to suggest I go a college that would focus on game development.  His idea was Full Sail Real World Education in Winter Park Florida.  I took the next semester off school to work to afford the move and start up expenses of going to Florida.  After visiting the college I found out that it was not like a normal college in that I was on a set course from beginning to end and that I would be taking 2 classes ever month instead of semesters which would put me at a Bachelors degree in 21 months. 

After graduating college I was given an offer to be a Network programmer by a company called Flagship Studios.  I took the job and started working on Hellgate: London and Mythos.  After the release of Hellgate: London, and realizing that my interest was not network programming I decided to head back to Indiana.  In Indiana I was contracted to work on a game for the Indianapolis Children's Museum. The project was part of the Lego Castle Exhibit.  After that contract was over, I struggled to find a job for a while and took on a job as just a software developer for Imagine Products Inc.  Due to financial difficulties of the company they had to let me go.

At this time my friend suggest we start making games on our own.  So we decided to start our own company called 2 Cat's 'n a Sack Studios LLC which was started in January of this year.  We are currently working on our first title and hope it will be the start of many.

 

Now I dream of making games that people really enjoy.

Man, keep us updated. I think we may be witness to a real powerhouse success story with this. 

Have you guys made a formal business plan?

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 

We seem to have a lot of writers. This is great! 

What kind of stuff do you write?

 

I don't really know what you would classify mine as.

Their generally like real-life dramas with people.

One particular lengthy one that I have been writing on for a while is about a man that carelessly kills another in an accident and has to serve time in jail, he gets out and ends up befriending the widow and the daughter of the man he killed. It is a little more complex than that, but that sums it up in a nutshell.

Another one involves a teenager's suicide attempt. Each chapter is told through the viewpoint of the mother, the father, his older brother and himself.

Another one involves a mentally ill young man that hitch-hikes and drifts across the country and all of the various characters that he meets.

If you really had to sound down my influences, William Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy play a heavy part in the stories that I write.

Ever since I have been living down south, quite a bit of rural, country, gothic stuff has been turning up in my word processor as of late.

Have you considered blogging or podcasting your stories?

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 This is to all the writers

 This is to all the writers on this thread. 

 

Scott Sigler (who is an atheist) is a fiction author who has made it to the New York Times list by podcasting his books as audiobooks (for free) building the audience and selling the books. 

He is a real inspiration to me. Here is his website.

Your life is a love story!


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote:Have you

mindcore wrote:

Have you considered blogging or podcasting your stories?

Actually no. I hadn't given it much thought. Interesting idea.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2929
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: This is to

mindcore wrote:

 This is to all the writers on this thread. 

 

Scott Sigler (who is an atheist) is a fiction author who has made it to the New York Times list by podcasting his books as audiobooks (for free) building the audience and selling the books. 

He is a real inspiration to me. Here is his website.

He's an atheist?  Sweet.  I love the infected books.  If I ever have to face ripping a triangle off of my junk, I'm just going to shoot myself.  Perry is one of my favorite literary characters.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:mindcore

mellestad wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 This is to all the writers on this thread. 

 

Scott Sigler (who is an atheist) is a fiction author who has made it to the New York Times list by podcasting his books as audiobooks (for free) building the audience and selling the books. 

He is a real inspiration to me. Here is his website.

He's an atheist?  Sweet.  I love the infected books.  If I ever have to face ripping a triangle off of my junk, I'm just going to shoot myself.  Perry is one of my favorite literary characters.

 

I may be jumping the  gun, I am guessing because he was on the skepticality podcast. Here is a link to that page, its episode 133.

 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

mindcore wrote:

Have you considered blogging or podcasting your stories?

Actually no. I hadn't given it much thought. Interesting idea.

Man, I would fucking read it. Thats all I'm sayin. 

Your life is a love story!


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Since there are quite a few

Since there are quite a few writers I probably should post this link

 

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/forum

 

A very active forum dedicated to writers. Personally I cannot be on there for more than 5 seconds before getting over whelmed by bad ideas but its what one would expect.  But it can be useful when you are trying to figure out if something is possible or if you need an idea to make something work, between all the rubbish there are a few people who are genuinely helpful with good ideas. What I find most useful is the critique section, getting people to read what you have written and give you feed back, some are far to nice though, almost have to drag anything bad out of them.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1710
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: I just saw

mindcore wrote:

 

I just saw your log and loved it! Jack Van Impe is such a fucking character. 

 

I posted your blog on my twitter. On reddit. And on my facebook! 

 

Great stuff! Jesus Needs Money is awesome! http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Hey. Thanks.

Did you see the post "Jesus 101"?

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/2011/02/jesus-101.html

 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:mindcore

ex-minister wrote:

mindcore wrote:

 

I just saw your log and loved it! Jack Van Impe is such a fucking character. 

 

I posted your blog on my twitter. On reddit. And on my facebook! 

 

Great stuff! Jesus Needs Money is awesome! http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Hey. Thanks.

Did you see the post "Jesus 101"?

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/2011/02/jesus-101.html

 

 

Wonderful. And totally biblical! 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Since there are

Tapey wrote:

Since there are quite a few writers I probably should post this link

 

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/forum

 

A very active forum dedicated to writers. Personally I cannot be on there for more than 5 seconds before getting over whelmed by bad ideas but its what one would expect.  But it can be useful when you are trying to figure out if something is possible or if you need an idea to make something work, between all the rubbish there are a few people who are genuinely helpful with good ideas. What I find most useful is the critique section, getting people to read what you have written and give you feed back, some are far to nice though, almost have to drag anything bad out of them.

 

Hey Thanks, I will definitely check it out. I am one of our horde of aspirant writers for sure. 

Your life is a love story!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Since there are

Tapey wrote:

Since there are quite a few writers I probably should post this link

 

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/forum

 

A very active forum dedicated to writers. Personally I cannot be on there for more than 5 seconds before getting over whelmed by bad ideas but its what one would expect.  But it can be useful when you are trying to figure out if something is possible or if you need an idea to make something work, between all the rubbish there are a few people who are genuinely helpful with good ideas. What I find most useful is the critique section, getting people to read what you have written and give you feed back, some are far to nice though, almost have to drag anything bad out of them.

 

Hey Thanks, I will definitely check it out. I am one of our horde of aspirant writers for sure. 

Your life is a love story!