Intention of the gospel writers

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
Intention of the gospel writers

I would to know what the intentions of the writers of the gospels and epistles were if this stuff wasnt real than why is it written the way it is.

I dont beileve its true but i cant imagine how people could make this stuff up. Are the books we have know the way they were always written and why are they written the way they are like when jesus does miracles and the priests say he is a devil. Obviously it didnt happen so what was the stories purpose.

Also is the story of lazarus a complete fabrication it has to be people dont come back from the dead so who made it up and when.

Im also suspcious of pauls vision that has to be a fabrication to because if he hated christians then why would he have a visoin of jesus obvioulsy he didnt know what he looked like was paul really making this all up with some self serving purpose in mind.

This stuff really frustrates me because i want to know how these stuff can be made up it doesnt happen today anymore.

Ive also read The Evolutionof god and find it really interested but hard to follow.

Basically I want to know what it looked like say when someone was writting the book of exodus for example how could someone write this if it didnt happen and what was the intention.

Also i realize my writing struture is horrible.

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Lee2216

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
Based on your style of writing - I at least have my doubts that the material you cited is your own. I never claimed to be absolutely sure - that's why I used the term "pretty sure". So if you are the religious expert you claim to be, bring up your credentials. Otherwise, own up to your sources.

Your still implying that Christians are all uneducated which shows your prejudice. I've never claimed to be an expert. I simply take what people claim as truth and compare it with the scriptures. Credentials are irrelevant when it comes to telling the truth. When I use sources I give them to you. I gave you one yesterday that you didn't even bother with.

jcgadfly wrote:
You need specific verses to count how many beings are worshipped as God in scripture? It's simple math.

I count:

1. El

2. Yahweh

3. Jesus

4. The Holy Spirit

5. The construct that Paul created and named Christ.

Yes, I need you to give me specific verses that support your view that Christianity is a polytheistic religion not your presuppositions. Your avoiding the issue here.

No I'm not implying Christians are uneducated. I'm sure the Christian you likely took the ideas you claim as yours from was well educated. The person whose education and honesty I'm questioning is you.

I also told you that I'm working on it and asked for your patience. Here's a start.

Genesis 14:17-22 - In the original Language Melchizedek invokes El. Abraham (here Abram) invokes Yahweh. Christians accept both as God.

http://www.everystudent.com/wires/whodoyousay.html contains how the Pauline converts who wrote the Gospel established Jesus as God.

John 14:26 Says that the Father will send the Holy spirit in Jesus' name. Christians pray to the Holy Spirit frequently. This also implies that Jesus is to be considered a god.

Why not just point out that the the trininty is not in the old testament. That stuff would be foreign to moses,david etc.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887 wrote:jcgadfly

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
Based on your style of writing - I at least have my doubts that the material you cited is your own. I never claimed to be absolutely sure - that's why I used the term "pretty sure". So if you are the religious expert you claim to be, bring up your credentials. Otherwise, own up to your sources.

Your still implying that Christians are all uneducated which shows your prejudice. I've never claimed to be an expert. I simply take what people claim as truth and compare it with the scriptures. Credentials are irrelevant when it comes to telling the truth. When I use sources I give them to you. I gave you one yesterday that you didn't even bother with.

jcgadfly wrote:
You need specific verses to count how many beings are worshipped as God in scripture? It's simple math.

I count:

1. El

2. Yahweh

3. Jesus

4. The Holy Spirit

5. The construct that Paul created and named Christ.

Yes, I need you to give me specific verses that support your view that Christianity is a polytheistic religion not your presuppositions. Your avoiding the issue here.

No I'm not implying Christians are uneducated. I'm sure the Christian you likely took the ideas you claim as yours from was well educated. The person whose education and honesty I'm questioning is you.

I also told you that I'm working on it and asked for your patience. Here's a start.

Genesis 14:17-22 - In the original Language Melchizedek invokes El. Abraham (here Abram) invokes Yahweh. Christians accept both as God.

http://www.everystudent.com/wires/whodoyousay.html contains how the Pauline converts who wrote the Gospel established Jesus as God.

John 14:26 Says that the Father will send the Holy spirit in Jesus' name. Christians pray to the Holy Spirit frequently. This also implies that Jesus is to be considered a god.

Why not just point out that the the trininty is not in the old testament. That stuff would be foreign to moses,david etc.

Been there, done that.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
The idea that God can change

The idea that God can change his nature, or has reason to mask his nature then reveal himself to humans in a different way with Jesus, is one of the things that really doesn't make sense to me.

The typical argument is, "Well, you have to understand that God was working with the culture of the time..."  Bullshit.  He's God, he can do whatever the hell he wants to.  If he came down from the mountain and started smiting people who didn't turn the other cheek they would have figured it out pretty darned quick.  There is zero theistic reason why God couldn't introduce Jesus the second Eve took a bite of the apple.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:The idea

mellestad wrote:

The idea that God can change his nature, or has reason to mask his nature then reveal himself to humans in a different way with Jesus, is one of the things that really doesn't make sense to me.

The typical argument is, "Well, you have to understand that God was working with the culture of the time..."  Bullshit.  He's God, he can do whatever the hell he wants to.  If he came down from the mountain and started smiting people who didn't turn the other cheek they would have figured it out pretty darned quick.  There is zero theistic reason why God couldn't introduce Jesus the second Eve took a bite of the apple.

he had to wait until there was a sufficient population to spread exponentially so that they could pass the meme.  I sorta mixed William Lane Craig with Dawkins to get that answer.  If god is a meme them he can only reveal himself as a meme (or infect others as a meme?). 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Genesis

jcgadfly wrote:

Christians accept both as the SAME God because it is the SAME God not two God's as you propose. The use of El Elyon for God's name indicated that Melchizedek, who used this title 2 times (Gen. 14:18-19) worshiped, served, and represented no Canaanite deity, but the same God whom Abram also called Yahweh El Elyon (v.22) This is confirmed by the added description "Possesor of heaven and earth," being used both by Abram and Melchizedek (vv. 19,22)

jcgadfly wrote:
http://www.everystudent.com/wires/whodoyousay.html contains how the Pauline converts who wrote the Gospel established Jesus as God. John 14:26 Says that the Father will send the Holy spirit in Jesus' name. Christians pray to the Holy Spirit frequently. This also implies that Jesus is to be considered a god.

The scriptures teach that the Holy Spirit is a divine person, eternal, underived, possessing all the attributes of personality and deity, including intellect, emotions, will, eternality, omnipresence, omniscience, omnipotence, and truthfulness. In all the divine attributes He is coequal and cosubstantial with the Father and the Son just as the Son is coequal and cosubstantial with the Father and the Holy spirit etc. The trinity is three distinct persons who are coequal and are ONE God. There is no scriptural support for your claims of polytheism. My references are from the MacArthur Study Bible. 

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:jcgadfly

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Christians accept both as the SAME God because it is the SAME God not two God's as you propose. The use of El Elyon for God's name indicated that Melchizedek, who used this title 2 times (Gen. 14:18-19) worshiped, served, and represented no Canaanite deity, but the same God whom Abram also called Yahweh El Elyon (v.22) This is confirmed by the added description "Possesor of heaven and earth," being used both by Abram and Melchizedek (vv. 19,22)

jcgadfly wrote:
http://www.everystudent.com/wires/whodoyousay.html contains how the Pauline converts who wrote the Gospel established Jesus as God. John 14:26 Says that the Father will send the Holy spirit in Jesus' name. Christians pray to the Holy Spirit frequently. This also implies that Jesus is to be considered a god.

The scriptures teach that the Holy Spirit is a divine person, eternal, underived, possessing all the attributes of personality and deity, including intellect, emotions, will, eternality, omnipresence, omniscience, omnipotence, and truthfulness. In all the divine attributes He is coequal and cosubstantial with the Father and the Son just as the Son is coequal and cosubstantial with the Father and the Holy spirit etc. The trinity is three distinct persons who are coequal and are ONE God. There is no scriptural support for your claims of polytheism. My references are from the MacArthur Study Bible. 

El and Yahweh were merged around the 8th-6th century BCE. Prior to that Yahweh was considered a lesser god to El in the Canaanite pantheon.

http://lehislibrary.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/excerpt-from-yahweh-and-the-gods-and-goddesses-of-canaan-by-john-day/

Christians can't seem to agree on this.

As for the rest, Church tradition may teach a triune god but it's not in Scripture - otherwise you'd have brought some.

Commentary from a study bible does not equal scripture.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Actually the

TGBaker wrote:
Actually the burden is on you to show that there are trinitarian passages because I can not quote the whole bible verse by verse here whereas you can quote the alledged trinitarian passages you say are there.

Here are some OT verses. http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/triunity.html

Here are some NT verses

•Matt. 28:19, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,"

•1 Cor. 12:4-6, "Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. 6And there are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons."

•2 Cor. 13:14, "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all."

•Eph. 4:4-7, "There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all. But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift."

•1 Pet. 1:2, "according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in fullest measure."

•Jude 20-21, "But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith; praying in the Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life."

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I can only see one verse

I can only see one verse that actually helps you, Lee.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:TGBaker

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
Actually the burden is on you to show that there are trinitarian passages because I can not quote the whole bible verse by verse here whereas you can quote the alledged trinitarian passages you say are there.

Here are some OT verses. http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/triunity.html

Wouldn't the Jews be the people who know what their own book says rather than Christians who have an agenda?  It's like if I tell you I thought the movie Kick-Ass was fantastic (it is, by the way) and you tell me that I hated it.  Wouldn't I know what I thought better than you?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I can only

jcgadfly wrote:

Arent some versus added at different times to help this cause?

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:El and Yahweh

jcgadfly wrote:
El and Yahweh were merged around the 8th-6th century BCE. Prior to that Yahweh was considered a lesser god to El in the Canaanite pantheon.

http://lehislibrary.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/excerpt-from-yahweh-and-the-gods-and-goddesses-of-canaan-by-john-day/

You gave a link to a Mormon website? The Mormons are a cult they aren't Christians so their doctrine is trash.

jcgadfly wrote:
As for the rest, Church tradition may teach a triune god but it's not in Scripture - otherwise you'd have brought some.

Commentary from a study bible does not equal scripture.

It's all throughout scripture lol! Commentary from a study bible does not equal scripture? No duh! Did I say it was Jc?

It's there for a reason!

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
They need to make the site

They need to make the site where you can select the page of a topic from the topic selection or at least the top of the page.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:It's all

Lee2216 wrote:

It's all throughout scripture lol!

Do you believe everything you read?

Maybe the internet is not the place for you, then....

Seriously, why would anyone presume that any one person who wrote anything down was even sane, much less telling the truth?

People have been trying to come up with all sorts of methods of controlling people, since antiquity.

Putting the fear of a god into them, is old hat.

It was around way before 0 B.C.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I can only

jcgadfly wrote:

Obviously Mt 28:19 which I expected but how would you get trinity from that or the gospel of Matthew as a whole?  You could see it being used much later as a proof text... the only one that has all the right words together.  The early disciples baptized simply in the name of Jesus Christ whereupon the wet person received the holy spirit.  This is a late and Jewish focused gospel so it is understandable that God the father is first then the son and then holy spirit which is received by the baptism initiation.

This verse is really a defeater:

2Cor13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

So in that verse we have "God" "Christ" and the "holy Spirit". Only one being in the verse is "God" and it's the father alone not like the later trinitarian formulas...in the name of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. I guess what i was really looking for was some teaching about the trinity in scripture but you won't find it Lee or else give us some of that there learnin'

Oh by the way:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/triunity.html

is trash. Elohim is plural but with singular pronouns referring to it. In such cases some interpete it to be a majestic plural as when the king say We have made a decision referring to himself. 

The Mormon stuff was much better:

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:jcgadfly

TGBaker wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Obviously Mt 28:19 which I expected but how would you get trinity from that or the gospel of Matthew as a whole?  You could see it being used much later as a proof text... the only one that has all the right words together.  The early disciples baptized simply in the name of Jesus Christ whereupon the wet person received the holy spirit.  This is a late and Jewish focused gospel so it is understandable that God the father is first then the son and then holy spirit which is received by the baptism initiation.

This verse is really a defeater:

2Cor13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

So in that verse we have "God" "Christ" and the "holy Spirit". Only one being in the verse is "God" and it's the father alone not like the later trinitarian formulas...in the name of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. I guess what i was really looking for was some teaching about the trinity in scripture but you won't find it Lee or else give us some of that there learnin'

Oh by the way:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/triunity.html

is trash. Elohim is plural but with singular pronouns referring to it. In such cases some interpete it to be a majestic plural as when the king say We have made a decision referring to himself. 

The Mormon stuff was much better:

As has been said (but bears repeating) the Matthew verse helps my cause, Lee. Same with one of the Corinthians verse you cited . They invoke all three gods separately. That wouldn't need to happen if they were united, would it? Why ask for three separate blessings?

The one I meant was 1 Cor. 12 where some monotheism accidentally slipped in. The only way that Matthew is a Jewish focused gospel is in its anti-Semitism. But that is expected if the author is a Greek convert to Pauline Christianity.

I linked to a Mormon site - that does not make the author of the book being cited a Mormon. Do you have a dispute with his scholarship on the Old Testament? Or are you happy with your dodge? Actually Lee, Mormons worship Jesus as a God just as you do - is your doctrine trash as well?

Quoting you by accident TG - I meant to hit "reply"

— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Quoting you

jcgadfly wrote:

Quoting you by accident TG - I meant to hit "reply"

No problem:

John 10 is interesting  

31 The Jews again brought stones to throw at him; 32 And seeing this, Jesus said: “I have done before your eyes many good actions, inspired by the Father; for which of them would you stone me?” 33 “It is not for any good action that we would stone you,” answered the Jews, “but for blasphemy; and because you, who are only a man, make yourself out to be God.”

34 “Are there not,” replied Jesus, “these words in your law: ‘I said “Ye are gods”‘? 35 If those to whom God’s word were addressed were said to be ‘gods’—and scripture cannot be set aside—36 Do you say of one whom the Father has consecrated and sent as his messenger to the world: ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said ‘I am the Son of God’?”

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:ymalmsteen887

TGBaker wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Well given the nature of what we are talking about I would say yeah that is good enough reason.

Also I would like to have info to keep my anxiety from comgin back like what is the one thing that shows christianity to be false that when ever im having doubts I can just remember this

I think seeing how the gospels were composed will show you that the claims of Christianity are based upon fiction. I posted some good articles from Wikipedia a few posts back for you. Christology also rests upon a mistake. Christology is the study of the function of the Christ... he died not just for original sin but to restore the fallen order of the cosmos. No fall no valid Christology. There is no fall of humankind ( eviction from Eden) if you understand evolution to be true.

Thats good but I was thinking more along the lines of not knowing how they were composed or understanding evoultion. What would be a good contradiction from the book that would be irrefutable and not just a number type o?

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
The part in genesis where it

The part in genesis where it says "Let us make man in our image" what is the understanding of this, its not the holy trinity because the concept had not been invented and god wouldnt be talking to himself. What proior beliefs does this come from?

Also doesnt the part where it says the wages of sin is death doesnt that show that hell wasnt always apart of the theology doesnt that mean that anytime jesus meantioned it was written after that part. Its so confusing that they say the epistles where written after the gospels if this were true wouldnt the goes[els be more consistent with the epistles, the only thing that makes since to me is they were written seperate from each other but this doesnt make since either?

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887 wrote:The part

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

The part in genesis where it says "Let us make man in our image" what is the understanding of this, its not the holy trinity because the concept had not been invented and god wouldnt be talking to himself. What proior beliefs does this come from?

Also doesnt the part where it says the wages of sin is death doesnt that show that hell wasnt always apart of the theology doesnt that mean that anytime jesus meantioned it was written after that part. Its so confusing that they say the epistles where written after the gospels if this were true wouldnt the goes[els be more consistent with the epistles, the only thing that makes since to me is they were written seperate from each other but this doesnt make since either?

See post 134 and 147

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
You can quote history, historical and textual criticism until you are blue in the face but little I have found that works  aprt from actually showing the conflicts of one gospel with another and showing the authors reason for changing or making up "history". It is even more amazing when you try and show that trinitarianism is a late third and early fourth century product not found in the New Testament.

The textual criticism avenue has already been debunked. There are no such conflicts. Trinitarianism is a late 3rd or 4th century product of the church. That's BS! It's all through out both the OT and NT!

Small correction - polytheism is throughout the OT and NT. They started calling it Trinitarianism so they could worship other gods while convincing themselves they didn't.

Why do you say "they" started calling it trinatarism. The people of the old testament died out way before jesus and these ideas would be against there agenda and beliefs. I am not saying you dont know that but I think if atheists pointed this out to christians more it would make them think.

Also when you use the quote function does it notify the person you quoted cause I know some forums do?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
You can quote history, historical and textual criticism until you are blue in the face but little I have found that works  aprt from actually showing the conflicts of one gospel with another and showing the authors reason for changing or making up "history". It is even more amazing when you try and show that trinitarianism is a late third and early fourth century product not found in the New Testament.

The textual criticism avenue has already been debunked. There are no such conflicts. Trinitarianism is a late 3rd or 4th century product of the church. That's BS! It's all through out both the OT and NT!

Small correction - polytheism is throughout the OT and NT. They started calling it Trinitarianism so they could worship other gods while convincing themselves they didn't.

Why do you say "they" started calling it trinatarism. The people of the old testament died out way before jesus and these ideas would be against there agenda and beliefs. I am not saying you dont know that but I think if atheists pointed this out to christians more it would make them think.

Also when you use the quote function does it notify the person you quoted cause I know some forums do?

Sorry - I should have used "the early church fathers" instead of "they". Thanks for that.

I don't know on the other question - maybe one has to be subscribed to that thread to get notification.

— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
The idea of trinity was not

The idea of trinity was not found in the original manuscripts of the New Testament.  The pronouns that refer to the holy spirit were neuter meaning it not HE. By the fourth century copies of the Greek started showing some of the pronouns changes to the masculine, He.  Even in the gospel of John the Paraclete (Advocate) is referred to by neuter pronouns and is itself a neuter noun . Jesus in early Christology was presented as adopted like the earliest gospel of mark.  He is baptised by John the Baptist for the remission of sin and the holy spirit comes down into (Greek pronoun eis) him.  Even Paul reflects in places an adoptionistic concept as when he says jesus was appointed as Christ by the resurrection. The gospel of John uses typical Logos philosophy (Stoic or Helenistic Jewish ) to have the Christ as the first born of creation the tool or agency through which god creates (i.e word, reason)  It is the gospel of John's language that starts the idea that jesus was a god or God.  It took until the 4th century to iron all of the various conflicting theology and christology out at the Council of Nicaea. So you see a gradual evolutionary elevating of a teacher to God by his followers.  If jesus existed he would be pissed about it and his daddy too.

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:The idea of

TGBaker wrote:
The idea of trinity was not found in the original manuscripts of the New Testament. 

Your right, the term Trinity is never specifically used nor the doctrine explicitly explained in Scripture, it is nevertheless implicitly stated. The doctrine of the triunity was developed by the church council to defend against heresy.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:TGBaker

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
The idea of trinity was not found in the original manuscripts of the New Testament. 

Your right, the term Trinity is never specifically used nor the doctrine explicitly explained in Scripture, it is nevertheless implicitly stated. The doctrine of the triunity was developed by the church council to defend against heresy.

At last you admit it - it was never in the Bible and was made up by the Church. Never mind the fact that the "heretics" they were fighting were pulling their evidence from the Bible as well.

— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

At last you admit it - it was never in the Bible and was made up by the Church. Never mind the fact that the "heretics" they were fighting were pulling their evidence from the Bible as well.

Orthodoxy is a group who have more weapons or power so they can killed you.  Heretic probably the person with the correct understanding killed by a consensus.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

In fact Arianism was more accurate in its interpretation of scripture than the version of trinitarian that won out. In Church politics truth is not the factor if it is a minority (as it usually is ) what is correct is by majority and power.

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Thanks Jc for staying true to form. Distorting the truth!

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

How was that distorting the truth?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Distorting the truth by telling it? That's a neat trick.

This from the one who says that trinitarianism is throughout the Bible when it is not to be found (implicitly or explicitly)?

Which lie are you going to stick to, Lee? I really wish you'd quit confirming my belief that Christianity is a dishonest religion.

— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Distorting the truth by telling it? That's a neat trick.

This from the one who says that trinitarianism is throughout the Bible when it is not to be found (implicitly or explicitly)?

Which lie are you going to stick to, Lee? I really wish you'd quit confirming my belief that Christianity is a dishonest religion.

Well I believe that it is there in the Bible for those who project their presuppositions derived from their own denominational beliefs into it. Implicit = read into.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Well I believe

TGBaker wrote:

Well I believe that it is there in the Bible for those who project their presuppositions derived from their own denominational beliefs into it. Implicit = read into.

Oh my...

Not evidence that the scriptures show clear examples of the game of 'telephone'?

That would be bad...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:TGBaker

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Oh my...

Not evidence that the scriptures show clear examples of the game of 'telephone'?

That would be bad...

Trying not to read into your comment...bad as in that some bad-ass guitar playing or bad as in that sucks the big one? In trying to reconstruct the historical Rednef's ipsissima verba one should always start with the facetious hermeneutic.  There are indications that his followers took an undue reverence to some of his best lines and missed the depth if not mystical import of his pronouncements. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:redneF

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Oh my...

That would be bad...

Trying not to read into your comment...bad as in that some bad-ass guitar playing or bad as in that sucks the big one? In trying to reconstruct the historical Rednef's ipsissima verba one should always start with the facetious hermeneutic.  There are indications that his followers took an undue reverence to some of his best lines and missed the depth if not mystical import of his pronouncements. 

It all depnds on what the priests of redneF need at the time.

— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:TGBaker

jcgadfly wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Oh my...

That would be bad...

What about the priestesses then?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:redneF

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Oh my...

That would be bad...

Trying not to read into your comment...bad as in that some bad-ass guitar playing or bad as in that sucks the big one?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

By jove, you've got it!

TGBaker wrote:

In trying to reconstruct the historical Rednef's ipsissima verba one should always start with the facetious hermeneutic. There are indications that his followers took an undue reverence to some of his best lines and missed the depth if not mystical import of his pronouncements. 

Hey, I'm jess tryin' to keep it real, and that my 'meanin' has feelin'.

I is feelin' you is seeing my bad, and rollin' with dat.

You is baaaaad yo self, mutha.

Yo, yo, yo!

Spread the word, Daddy O!

Tell it like it is!

Gimme some skin, Brothu!

You da man! Dog!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:jcgadfly

TGBaker wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Oh my...

That would be bad...

Not sure.

Lord redneF, do we take the groupies seriously or not?

— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:TGBaker

jcgadfly wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Oh my...

That would be bad...

Not sure.

Pray tell. They must at least be taken.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Not sure.Lord

jcgadfly wrote:

Not sure.

They are the yang, to our yin.

Like PB & J.

It works.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:jcgadfly

redneF wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Not sure.

Like PB & J.

It works.

Must resist.............

Oh, the squishy sounds of love.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:redneF

cj wrote:

redneF wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Not sure.

Like PB & J.

It works.

Must resist.............

Oh, the squishy sounds of love.

Hey, since the theist left we have to make up something.

— George Carlin

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
Can someone tell me what was

Can someone tell me what was giong on in history when the bible was being written like japan, china, russia, america, ireland etc.

Do we have absolute proof that the creation in genesis contradicts the historical record. I am still trying to get over my simplistic way of viewing the world and thinking we all came from the middle east also are my descedents from the middle east or someone where else, I far back as I can tell my moms side is french on her moms side and dads side is irish and my dads mom sides is french, so giong from there?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Google is your

Google is your friend.

YouTube is your friend.

Wikipedia is also your friend.

There's volumes of stuff on ancient civilizations, and prehistoric man.

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Google is your

redneF wrote:

Google is your friend.

YouTube is your friend.

Wikipedia is also your friend.

There's volumes of stuff on ancient civilizations, and prehistoric man.

i am not very good at compiling info so it would be nice if someone could simplify it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Well, the Babylonians were

Well, the Babylonians were brewing beer during the time that some Christians claim the universe was being created. (about 6k years ago).

No one seemed to have told the Egyptians about the global flood that was happening while they were busy building the Pyramids.

Just some examples ex tempore

— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887 wrote:Can

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Can someone tell me what was giong on in history when the bible was being written like japan, china, russia, america, ireland etc.

Do we have absolute proof that the creation in genesis contradicts the historical record. I am still trying to get over my simplistic way of viewing the world and thinking we all came from the middle east also are my descedents from the middle east or someone where else, I far back as I can tell my moms side is french on her moms side and dads side is irish and my dads mom sides is french, so giong from there?

How bout the fact that plants and herbs were made before the sun on the third day according to Genesis? The sun was supposedly created on the 4th day.  Isn't that historical proof enough?

Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so.

The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.  

And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years,

and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so.

God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth,

to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.

And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day

Really this thread is about the Gospel writers though.

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Well, the

jcgadfly wrote:

Well, the Babylonians were brewing beer during the time that some Christians claim the universe was being created. (about 6k years ago).

No one seemed to have told the Egyptians about the global flood that was happening while they were busy building the Pyramids.

have you ever encountered a christian that believes the flood happened millions of years ago. There reasoning is that the bible doesnt say how long the time was between noah and the first historical biblical fugure.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

have you ever encountered a christian that believes the flood happened millions of years ago. There reasoning is that the bible doesnt say how long the time was between noah and the first historical biblical fugure.

No but I do know some that claim it wasn't global.

— George Carlin

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:ymalmsteen887

TGBaker wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

How bout the fact that plants and herbs were made before the sun on the third day according to Genesis? The sun was supposedly created on the 4th day.  Isn't that historical proof enough?

Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so.

The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years,

and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so.

God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.

thats really funny but i can see a christian saying magic. Maybe if I understood when we first learned that plants needed sunlight it would show me that they didnt understand this at the time.

I should have called this thread intention of the bible writers.

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:ymalmsteen887

jcgadfly wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

No but I do know some that claim it wasn't global.

How would you show this persons poor reasoning?

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887 wrote:TGBaker

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

thats really funny but i can see a christian saying magic. Maybe if I understood when we first learned that plants needed sunlight it would show me that they didnt understand this at the time.

Historically the earth and sun came about long before plants.  There is no indication of global flooding. Flood myths show up in areas that do tend to flood. Ancient people thought it was the whole world that flooded when their local area flooded.