gelligreen
User is offlineOffline

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gelligreen.

First off :  welcome to the forums.

Secondly :   What have you actually been charged with [ and what state] ?

Thirdly :  I know of meny well educated people on this site, I am an engineer,  But I don't know any lawyers on this site. Sorry!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
More than 10 years ago, my

More than 10 years ago, my husband was witness to the aftermath of a traffic accident.

It was a busy state highway, four lanes of traffic.  A couple in their 80s, very elderly, made a left turn on to the highway directly in front of a semi truck.  The elderly couple did not live through it.  When my husband drove by, the road crew was cleaning up and the paramedics were talking to and monitoring the driver of the semi.  He was obviously very upset at hitting the elderly couple.

Was the semi driver a victim?  yes

Were the elderly people victims?  yes

Some days, it is better to stay home - too bad we never know which day that is in advance.

Who is legally designated what depends on state law.  I know here in Portland, OR there have been a number of pedestrian accidents - seems to be an awful lot lately where the pedestrian doesn't make it.  You are supposed to stop for pedestrians whether they are in the cross walk or not.  But if the pedestrian is wearing dark clothes, crossing the street when it is dark or when sight is obscured, sometimes you can't help hitting them.  I know if you hit an run you are in real trouble.  But I don't know if you are the driver and cooperate what the consequences are - now I have to go look it up -

local personal injury attorney http://www.portlandpersonalinjuryaccidentlawyer.com/blog/pedestrian-accident/ wrote:

The law bends in favor of pedestrians in many instances, however, just like everything in the law, there are exceptions. If the pedestrian was wearing dark clothes, and it was dark, the driver can sometimes escape prosecution. Or if a pedestrian darts out unexpectedly into an intersection, the law may take the driver’s side too. In this case, witnesses say that it was already dark when Ms. Shim was talking on her cell phone while walking on a busy highway.

But in most cases, the law will consider it to be the driver’s fault, and the pedestrian or the pedestrian’s family will be able to get legal compensation. All cases are different, of course, so contact a knowledgeable Portland personal injury lawyer if you have any questions about your case.

If you don't have a lawyer, get one.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Seems to be a link to a

Seems to be a link to a french poker site in his post, which is basically a copied blog post.

Spammer ?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Seems to be

Anonymouse wrote:

Seems to be a link to a french poker site in his post, which is basically a copied blog post.

Spammer ?

Yup.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.