Others beliefs and practices / US Religious Knowledge Survey - Quiz

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Others beliefs and practices / US Religious Knowledge Survey - Quiz

Take the survey, pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey.aspx and see if you know more about religious faith. I'm sure that you do know more. But who knows for sure ?  

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
13/15"You scored better than

13/15

"You scored better than 93% of the public."

"You scored below 3% of the public."

Yay.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Same exact score

Same exact score as butterbattle. I wonder if we missed the same two questions ?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: uestion

Quote:

uestion Your Response Correct Answer % of survey respondents answering correctly
1. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with leading the exodus from Egypt? correct Answer Moses Moses 72%
2. What was Mother Teresa's religion? correct Answer Catholic Catholic 82
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the Ten Commandments? correct Answer Do unto others as you would have them do unto you Do unto others as you would have them do unto you 55
4. When does the Jewish Sabbath begin? wrong Answer Saturday Friday 45
5. Is Ramadan…? correct Answer The Islamic holy month The Islamic holy month 52
6. Which of the following best describes the Catholic teaching about the bread and wine used for Communion? wrong Answer The bread and wine are symbols of the body and blood of Jesus Christ. The bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus Christ. 40
7. In which religion are Vishnu and Shiva central figures? correct Answer Hinduism Hinduism 38
8. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with remaining obedient to God despite suffering? correct Answer Job Job 39
9. What was Joseph Smith's religion? correct Answer Mormon Mormon 51
10. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to lead a class in prayer, or not? correct Answer No, not permitted No, not permitted 89
11. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to read from the Bible as an example of literature, or not? correct Answer Yes, permitted Yes, permitted 23
12. What religion do most people in Pakistan consider themselves? correct Answer Muslim Muslim 68
13. What was the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Protestant Reformation? correct Answer Martin Luther Martin Luther 46
14. Which of these religions aims at nirvana, the state of being free from suffering? correct Answer Buddhism Buddhism 36
15. Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening? wrong Answer Billy Graham Jonathan Edwards 11

I don't t know who the fuck Joseph Smith is or what the First Great Awakening was, so I just guessed on those.

It seems to me that people outside of religion know more about it than the people inside.

I think it was Scott Atran who took a bunch of Christians from the same church and asked them what the ten commandments were and got as many different answers as participants.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm more than happy to

I'm more than happy to predict that I would fail in what they erroneously characterize as 'knowledge'.

Which is reassuring in that I haven't invested time and effort into substituting legend and folklore for training my brain to think rationally.

Thank god...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:1. Which Bible figure

Quote:
1. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with leading the exodus from Egypt?correct Answer MosesMoses72%
2. What was Mother Teresa's religion?correct Answer CatholicCatholic82
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the Ten Commandments?correct Answer Do unto others as you would have them do unto youDo unto others as you would have them do unto you55
4. When does the Jewish Sabbath begin?wrong Answer SaturdayFriday45
5. Is Ramadan…?correct Answer The Islamic holy monthThe Islamic holy month52
6. Which of the following best describes the Catholic teaching about the bread and wine used for Communion?correct Answer The bread and wine actuallybecome the body and blood of Jesus Christ.The bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus Christ.40
7. In which religion are Vishnu and Shiva central figures?correct Answer HinduismHinduism38
8. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with remaining obedient to God despite suffering?correct Answer JobJob39
9. What was Joseph Smith's religion?correct Answer MormonMormon51
10. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to lead a class in prayer, or not?correct Answer No, not permittedNo, not permitted89
11. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to read from the Bible as an example of literature, or not?correct Answer Yes, permittedYes, permitted23
12. What religion do most people in Pakistan consider themselves?correct Answer MuslimMuslim68
13. What was the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Protestant Reformation?correct Answer Martin LutherMartin Luther46
14. Which of these religions aims at nirvana, the state of being free from suffering?correct Answer BuddhismBuddhism36

15. Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening?

correct Answer Jonathan EdwardsJonathan Edwards11

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: At

Beyond Saving wrote:

At least in hell it will be warm.

Which means the chicks will most likely be wearing bikinis, or nothing at all.

Hopefully, there's tequila there too...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Which means the

redneF wrote:

Which means the chicks will most likely be wearing bikinis, or nothing at all.

Hopefully, there's tequila there too...

Sign me up for hell if that is the case.

Of course, the alternative to hell, is sitting on clouds, listening to harps, wearing white robes and singing praises to god all of the time.

Hmm, THAT sounds worse than hell.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pffffft....there'll be

Pffffft....there'll be a rockin' band where we're headed, Dude.

There'll be Hendrix on lead guitar, Brian Jones on rhythm guitar. Bonham on drums, Jaco Pastorius on bass, with Dio on lead vocals, and Joplin on background vocals, and NO last call for alcohol!

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I missed the sabbath one and

I missed the sabbath one and the Great Awakening ones, too.
I looked it up: sabbath starts at Friday sundown, and lasts until somewhere Saturday night. So basically Saturday is the sabbath day, but it starts a few hours earlier.
Also, no clue wtf the GA is...

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heh, I find it interesting

Heh, I find it interesting that only 23% correctly replied that public school teachers could read from the Bible as literature.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Heh, I

butterbattle wrote:

Heh, I find it interesting that only 23% correctly replied that public school teachers could read from the Bible as literature.

I got that one wrong

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Heh, I

butterbattle wrote:

I noticed that as well. Hell I'm not even American and I knew that.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
So a public teacher in

So a public teacher in America can just whip out the bible in class and start reading?

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:So a

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

So a public teacher in America can just whip out the bible in class and start reading?

The trick part of the question in the survey was "as a part of literature".

The teacher can not endorse it, condone it, use it as curriculum or promote it as the fundamental way to the truth and the life.

In other words, "as a piece of literature" could be no different than reading something out of any other book.

If any student was made to feel that the class was centered around the teachings of the bible, there would be a problem.

Set up like that, most teachers probably would have no real reason to bring it up.

Private education being a different matter entirely of course.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:So a

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I'm not completely sure how it works. If it is a literature class or something, I suppose, yes. Although, in practice..........imagine the outrage if an English teacher were to whip out the Koran in the Bible belt.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF

redneF wrote:

Pffffft....there'll be a rockin' band where we're headed, Dude.

There'll be Hendrix on lead guitar, Brian Jones on rhythm guitar. Bonham on drums, Jaco Pastorius on bass, with Dio on lead vocals, and Joplin on background vocals, and NO last call for alcohol!

All right!  You convinced me!  And this way I won't have to go get beat up by Billy Bob and his friends in heaven.  (Seeing as I'm a woman and I deserve to be beaten because Eve ate the apple and condemned all of mankind to all the nasty shit in the world.  To explain for those who missed Billy Bob's extreme poe.)  Oh, man, if I could have the same body I had when Hendrix was alive, I would be happy to be beat  up by these guys - as long as it included....

Never mind.  Just sign me up.  Meet me in the mosh pit.

edit: a little clarity and spelling

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

The trick part of the question in the survey was "as a part of literature".

The teacher can not endorse it, condone it, use it as curriculum or promote it as the fundamental way to the truth and the life.

In other words, "as a piece of literature" could be no different than reading something out of any other book.

If any student was made to feel that the class was centered around the teachings of the bible, there would be a problem.

Set up like that, most teachers probably would have no real reason to bring it up.

Private education being a different matter entirely of course.

I don't know about down their, but a technicality like that in a vancouver public school just wouldn't fly.  If a teacher in my highschool whipped out the bible for any reason at all, they would have been bitch slapped by the board, not to mind the students, and the parents. 

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote: I

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I don't know about down their, but a technicality like that in a vancouver public school just wouldn't fly.  If a teacher in my highschool whipped out the bible for any reason at all, they would have been bitch slapped by the board, not to mind the students, and the parents. 

Yeah, sadly enough, the Bible Belt community practically tries to get around the technicality at every opportunity. If anyone complains or raises hell, the newspapers and city hall gets flooded by a bunch of crazy christians shrieking " THEY ARE TRYING TO TAKE GOD AWAY FROM OUR CHILDREN".

― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I'm not completely sure how it works. If it is a literature class or something, I suppose, yes. Although, in practice..........imagine the outrage if an English teacher were to whip out the Koran in the Bible belt.

Religions relationship with public schools is perhaps the most misunderstood section of Supreme Court law. In Stone v. Graham 449 U.S. 39 (1980) the Court said

Quote:
the Bible may constitutionally be used in an appropriate study of history, civilization, ethics, comparative religion, or the like.

In Abington v. Schempp 374 U.S. 203 (1963)

Quote:
 It certainly may be said that the Bible is worthy of study for its literary and historic qualities. Nothing we have said here indicates that such study of the Bible or of religion, when presented objectively as a part of a secular (public school) program of education, may not be effected consistently with the First Amendment.

In practice, most public schools avoid using the bible at all simply to avoid lawsuits. But there are some that use it for elective courses in comparative religion or history. I can see how the bible could be extremely vital to a history course considering that the book has caused massive amounts of violence and political conflict over the last two thousand years. It is simply irresponsible for a teacher to teach history without at least referencing the bible. Similarly, most of the conflicts in the Middle East historically and currently cannot be understood without the context of both the Bible and the Koran. Of course, teaching history in public schools is virtually non-existent. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Yea, I have zero issue with

Yea, I have zero issue with the Bible or other similar works being used in schools, within proper secular context.

Now, whether or not a particular theist teacher can restrain themselves enough to actually do that is a valid question.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Yea, I have

mellestad wrote:

Yea, I have zero issue with the Bible or other similar works being used in schools, within proper secular context.

Now, whether or not a particular theist teacher can restrain themselves enough to actually do that is a valid question.

It doesn't really bother me either read in history class (history of christianity, it's effects on society), or as tales like greek mythology.  The problem is like you have said teachers who are interested in pulling the bible out in class are probably going to be doing it for the wrong reasons.   

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, the only one that I

OK, the only one that I missed was the last one. I guessed Billy Graham because I thought that Johnathan Edwards was a trick answer. It turns out that there was a theologian in the 1700's who has the same name as the biggest douche in the universe.

redneF wrote:
Pffffft....there'll be a rockin' band where we're headed, Dude.

There'll be Hendrix on lead guitar, Brian Jones on rhythm guitar. Bonham on drums, Jaco Pastorius on bass, with Dio on lead vocals, and Joplin on background vocals, and NO last call for alcohol!

You forgot KISS, Manowar, Led Zepplin Megadeath...

Also, we are going to get Jack Nicholsen, Jodie Foster, George Carlin Mel Brooks...

I could go on but you get the general idea.

They are going to get Bach and Mendelssohn but who the heck are they going to actually conduct? Perhaps the heavely orchestra will be populated by members of Stryper and similar ilk?

I know where I want to go (providing that KISS is not compelled to perform Beth for eternity).

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
100%  Though to be fair I

100% Eye-wink

Though to be fair I was raised Muslim, attend a Catholic University, and took a course on the History of Jerusalem. So I had most the questions in the bag already.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
WOOT!

15 out of 15! I must be a member of every one of those religions, since no atheist could know more about those religions then a member of those religions, right?

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
lalib wrote:100%  Though to

lalib wrote:

100% Eye-wink

Though to be fair I was raised Muslim, attend a Catholic University, and took a course on the History of Jerusalem. So I had most the questions in the bag already.

Yea, I was 15/15, but I'm not proud of it.  I'd be perfectly happy not knowing any of it if that would spare me the childhood time wasted learning about it.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Yea, I was

mellestad wrote:

Yea, I was 15/15, but I'm not proud of it.  I'd be perfectly happy not knowing any of it if that would spare me the childhood time wasted learning about it.

True enough. But I like that line from the movie Hunt for Red October where the main guy says : It is wise to know the ways of one's adversary don't you think ?

― Giordano Bruno

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
I too would rather that none

I too would rather that none of this religious nonsense existed in the first place, however, it is useful to know one's enemy. 

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Sun Tzu said it best.

Sun Tzu said it best. Smiling