Brainless Christian And Muslim Quotes: Add Some You've Heard

Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Brainless Christian And Muslim Quotes: Add Some You've Heard

 

 

 

"Faith must exist before one can understand."

Saint Augustine

 

"I believe in order to understand." 

Saint Anselm of Canterbury


 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
The Bible says it, I believe

The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it.

 

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
 Here is a nice one from

 Here is a nice one from Ray Comfort:


"That’s all I have asked in this book. I have never claimed to be an authority on the subject of evolution, but I have quotedauthorities. Lots of them. The publication is filled with quotes from the mouths of evolution experts who admit that they have nothing. They have no empirical evidence for the theory. 

No doubt you will accuse me of “quote mining” (for those who don’t know what that is, it’s the practice of taking a quote--often out of its context, and using it in a way that was never intended by the author). However, every gold nugget is legitimately mined out of its context. No one seriously values the earth that encases the gold. So, when I uncover an evolutionary expert quietly admitting that he has no evidence to back up his theory, I don’t see any value in the soil of his surrounding words. I merely extract what I believe is of value for those who want to discover the truth about the theory of evolution."

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Ray Comfort himself, is a

Ray Comfort himself, is a strong case against evolution.

He hasn't evolved beyond that of ignorant, ultrasuperstitious bronze age minion automatons from millenia ago.

 

Thankfully, some of us have learned not to use circular reasoning, and characterize him for what he is.

An anomaly among rational people.

 

It's amazing how correct Darwin was about evolution. Atheists are evolving, because they're better able to adapt to the modern world.

Theists?

 

Ehhhh....not so much...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Oh who can forget Banana

Oh who can forget Banana Man? What a gem of an argument for the existence of a god, "It fits right in your hand",

Yea, so does your dick Ray. At least when I jerk off I don't thank a fictional being. Maybe it is better that you play with Bananas Ray. I don't think you could handle jerking off because that would require you to recognize the existence of sperm.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3273
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Ones I have had thrown at me in the Bible Belt

Here are some of the ones that I have had thrown at me by theists in the  everyday world of the Bible Belt  :

If we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys ?

Scientists make sure that Christians can't become scientists so that the truth can not get out  (Yep, I actually have had theists tell me this)

If evolution was true, why don't dogs have cats and cats have dogs ?

If the big bang was true, why can't we blow up a building and it just magically come back together ?

It takes more faith for you to say there is no god than for me to say there is one

How come we all got two hands and two legs if it all happened by accident ? (Yep, I have actually had theists say this to me)

Look at the sky, do you really think it all got there by itself ?

The Bible was written by god, scientists are just men

It is not evil if god destroys and kills things

The Bible says that people like you will exist, so that proves the Bible is true.

When you die, you'll see that we the Christians were right and then you'll be sorry

Stop trying to point out the bad parts of the Bible, I do not believe in the Bible literally ,your just trying to make my religion look bad

There are lots of smart, good and intelligent Christians out there, how come your trying to make all of us look bad ?

There ain't a man on Earth that can make rocks, so how do you explain how rocks are made ?

Evolution may be real, but that is just how god did it, every scientific argument that you point out at me, I am just gonna say that is how god did it and I will win the argument cause you can't prove me wrong.

AND FINALLY, THE STUPIDEST ARGUMENT THAT I HAVE EVER HEARD :

If the Earth is millions of years old, how come it is only the 21st Century ?

 

 

 

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It is not evil if god

Quote:
It is not evil if god destroys and kills things

I think someone recently, I forget where, in a thread treated this attitude as the same as Nixon when he said, "It's not illegal when the President does it".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3273
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
And let's not forget

 

And let's not forget the award winning, moron argument of the year, hehehehe :

The tide goes in, the tide goes out, there is never a miscommunication --Bill O'Reilly

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: And

harleysportster wrote:

 

And let's not forget the award winning, moron argument of the year, hehehehe :

The tide goes in, the tide goes out, there is never a miscommunication --Bill O'Reilly

How about "dick gets hard, dick shoots sperm, never a misscommunication".  O Reilly and his ilk love to point out the pretty stuff but don't want to admit that they shit and pee. They want soooo badly for life to be magical they fail to see the other things in life that are not so pretty. Like that same sun eventually expanding and frying the planet along with the gravity FACT they gloss over and ignore.

And I love Olberman's response grunting like a neanderthal "GRAVITY" DAMN YOU OLBERMAN, WE NEED YOU ON AIR TO COUNTER THIS BULLSHIT!

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
A theist recently used this one on me.

 

 

"You offend me."

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2011-01-06
User is offlineOffline
"There, but for the grace of

"There, but for the grace of GOD..."

This phrase gets to me, every time, on so many different levels!

 

What Would Jesus Drive? Well, God preferred an old Plymouth, "God drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden in a Fury"; Moses was said to ride a motor bike, "the roar of Moses’ Triumph is heard in the hills", while the apostles would carpool in a Honda, "the apostles were in one Accord".


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

 Here is a nice one from Ray Comfort:


"That’s all I have asked in this book. I have never claimed to be an authority on the subject of evolution, but I have quotedauthorities. Lots of them. The publication is filled with quotes from the mouths of evolution experts who admit that they have nothing. They have no empirical evidence for the theory. 

No doubt you will accuse me of “quote mining” (for those who don’t know what that is, it’s the practice of taking a quote--often out of its context, and using it in a way that was never intended by the author). However, every gold nugget is legitimately mined out of its context. No one seriously values the earth that encases the gold. So, when I uncover an evolutionary expert quietly admitting that he has no evidence to back up his theory, I don’t see any value in the soil of his surrounding words. I merely extract what I believe is of value for those who want to discover the truth about the theory of evolution."

The largest quote-mined nuggets (chryso-coprolites) are PICKED WORDS FROM ONE SENTENCE. I know only about this one:

rationalwiki wrote:
The quote provided by Kirk is from Richard Dawkins classic book The Blind Watchmaker. Kirk deliberately quote mined Dawkins, here is the full quote,

“Instead of examining the evidence for and against rival theories, I shall adopt a more armchair approach. My argument will be that Darwinism is the only known theory that is in principle capable of explaining certain aspects of life. If I am right it means that, even if there were no actual evidence in favour of the Darwinian theory (there is, of course) we should still be justified in preferring it over all rival theories.” R. Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (pg. 287)

The highlighted in bold is the part quoted by Kirk. The omission of the “If I am right” and the removal of “(there is, of course)” significantly changes the meaning of what Dawkins was actually saying.

 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
Nature & Reason & Women

 "There is another form of temptation, even more fraught with danger. This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives us to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which can avail us nothing and which man should not wish to learn" - St Augustine

 

 

 

"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians" 

“Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his Reason” 

"The word and works of God is quite clear, that women were made either to be wives or prostitutes"

- Martin Luther, christian reformationist

 

Person to Person ones.

"You are going to hell. I am not saying it. God is saying it. Take it up with Him"

"Every single Bible prophecy has come true"

"The bible is an amazingly consistent book, 40 authors over 1500 years and they all agree with each other. No contradictions"

"If you are right and I am wrong...blah,blah, blah, but if you are wrong and I am right ...  blah, blah, blah"

One old Baptist guy I was talking to told me he was a creationist. I asked him about the fossil record. His reply "I have lived 80 years and I don't see any fossils. You need to go to church my friend".  I told him I had done all that and now was an ex-minister. He got right up in my face and said 'YOU WERE AN MINISTER AND YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE WORD OF GOD. SHAME ON YOU'.

 

 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
the bible says

harleysportster wrote:

The Bible says that people like you will exist, so that proves the Bible is true.

Were you able to keep a straight face on that one?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3705
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:rationalwiki

Luminon wrote:
rationalwiki wrote:
The quote provided by Kirk is from

Richard Dawkins

classic book

The Blind Watchmaker

. Kirk deliberately quote mined Dawkins, here is the full quote,

“Instead of examining the evidence for and against rival theories, I shall adopt a more armchair approach. My argument will be that Darwinism is the only known theory that is in principle capable of explaining certain aspects of life. If I am right it means that, even if there were no actual evidence in favour of the Darwinian theory (there is, of course) we should still be justified in preferring it over all rival theories.” R. Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (pg. 287)

The highlighted in bold is the part quoted by Kirk. The omission of the “If I am right” and the removal of “(there is, of course)” significantly changes the meaning of what Dawkins was actually saying.

 

Lol, how dishonest is it that he has to delete a parenthesized phrase in the middle of the sentence to get the best quote mine? 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:]The largest

Luminon wrote:

]The largest quote-mined nuggets (chryso-coprolites) are PICKED WORDS FROM ONE SENTENCE. I know only about this one:

rationalwiki wrote:
The quote provided by Kirk is from Richard Dawkins classic book The Blind Watchmaker. Kirk deliberately quote mined Dawkins, here is the full quote,

“Instead of examining the evidence for and against rival theories, I shall adopt a more armchair approach. My argument will be that Darwinism is the only known theory that is in principle capable of explaining certain aspects of life. If I am right it means that, even if there were no actual evidence in favour of the Darwinian theory (there is, of course) we should still be justified in preferring it over all rival theories.” R. Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (pg. 287)

The highlighted in bold is the part quoted by Kirk. The omission of the “If I am right” and the removal of “(there is, of course)” significantly changes the meaning of what Dawkins was actually saying.

 

I wonder if that would be sufficient grounds for a libel suit.  I think this guy needs to be shown that what something like this is wrong.

Here is a quote by Ray Comfort taken from his version of 'Origins of Species', let's apply his quoting techniques.

To receive the gift of eternal life, you must repent of your sins (turn from them), and put on the Lord Jesus Christ as you would put on a parachute—trusting in Him alone for your salvation. (49)” 

One can easily defame a character by misquoting.

 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2376
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
              

     

 

 

         h

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

     

 

 

         h

I am appalled that someone dared to say such a thing to you.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Jeffrick

ex-minister wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

     

 

 

         h

I am appalled that someone dared to say such a thing to you.

I know, those theists hold nothing back.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2376
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
What can I say........

Ktulu wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

     

 

 

         h

I am appalled that someone dared to say such a thing to you.

I know, those theists hold nothing back.

 

 

             ............It was super bowl Sunday I was drunk...then I wrote a real BS post then I tried to erase it. Sorry.   LOL  btw.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Ktulu

Jeffrick wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

     

 

 

         h

I am appalled that someone dared to say such a thing to you.

I know, those theists hold nothing back.

 

 

             ............It was super bowl Sunday I was drunk...then I wrote a real BS post then I tried to erase it. Sorry.   LOL  btw.

No no no, don't lie. You were Homer Simpson who proved that god did not exist and then Ned(God) proved you wrong by sticking a man in a red leotard amongst you neurons to cause you to get drunk and hit submit before you were ready, "Cant let this little doozie get out".

Or maybe it was merely because you were drunk, who knows?

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Pheonix
atheist
Posts: 25
Joined: 2010-11-23
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

"Faith must exist before one can understand."

Saint Augustine

 

"I believe in order to understand." 

Saint Anselm of Canterbury

 

These are things everyone must do, and they are absolutely true. You must believe in order to understand. For example, I believe that what I see, hear, and feel are actually happening, and that they are not illusions, dreams, or computer generated sensations. I also believe that logic is, itself, infallible. There are a handful of assumptions that almost everyone makes together, even if they are not aware of it. The principle assumption is, of course, that my thoughts are real and self generated. Some people go as far as to believe that all matter and energy in the universe spontaneously appeared out of black nothingness, because information attained by their senses and expanded logically suggests that this is what happened.

I was under the impression most people had already been exposed to the principles of Descartes, and that most people accepted the concept of unverifiable existence as a self evident truth. I think he took it to far when he tried to justify God's existence, but up until that point, his logic was fairly good.

Be as you wish to seem ~Socrates


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Ray Comfort

redneF wrote:

Ray Comfort himself, is a strong case against evolution.

He hasn't evolved beyond that of ignorant, ultrasuperstitious bronze age minion automatons from millenia ago.

 

Thankfully, some of us have learned not to use circular reasoning, and characterize him for what he is.

An anomaly among rational people.

 

It's amazing how correct Darwin was about evolution. Atheists are evolving, because they're better able to adapt to the modern world.

Theists?

 

Ehhhh....not so much...

 

(discovered in 80 seconds)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
The application of induction

Pheonix wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

"Faith must exist before one can understand."

Saint Augustine

 

"I believe in order to understand." 

Saint Anselm of Canterbury

 

These are things everyone must do, and they are absolutely true. You must believe in order to understand. For example, I believe that what I see, hear, and feel are actually happening, and that they are not illusions, dreams, or computer generated sensations. I also believe that logic is, itself, infallible. There are a handful of assumptions that almost everyone makes together, even if they are not aware of it. The principle assumption is, of course, that my thoughts are real and self generated. Some people go as far as to believe that all matter and energy in the universe spontaneously appeared out of black nothingness, because information attained by their senses and expanded logically suggests that this is what happened.

I was under the impression most people had already been exposed to the principles of Descartes, and that most people accepted the concept of unverifiable existence as a self evident truth. I think he took it to far when he tried to justify God's existence, but up until that point, his logic was fairly good.

 

to an assessment of sense data is not the same as religious faith in a deity, as far as I can tell. I am happy to alter my position any time this is required. The religious are forced to bend changing perceptions of reality in order to make it fit their theistic world view and Anselm and Augustine are classic examples. 

Surely you would agree that an expectation of performance or continued existence of an actual seen and sensed thing can't be compared to faith in an exo-universal god-thing? Anselm insisted that the ultimate truth was god and that faith in this god preceded reason. You'd need to be otherwise motivated in order to accept this as a sensible reasoning.   

We obviously both agree that such reasoning cannot be used to support the existence of any gods. 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3273
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
AtheistSam wrote:"There, but

AtheistSam wrote:

"There, but for the grace of GOD..."

This phrase gets to me, every time, on so many different levels!

 

That one pisses me off to no end every time I hear that. Like you, it offends me on a number of different levels.

That's right up there with "Thy Will not Mine Be Done". What a high-handed way of saying that your just gonna accept whatever happens.

 

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


mynameinc
atheist
Posts: 5
Joined: 2011-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Some friends and I were

Some friends and I were talking about the woman from Cleveland who (claims she) is 119 years old as of Tuesday. Then:
Christian: "She's going to die before this time next year."
Me: "What?"
Christian: "The Bible says you can never live to be over 120."


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Chuckle

mynameinc wrote:

Some friends and I were talking about the woman from Cleveland who (claims she) is 119 years old as of Tuesday. Then: Christian: "She's going to die before this time next year." Me: "What?" Christian: "The Bible says you can never live to be over 120."

 

Welcome to the nuthouse, myname. Pleased to meet you.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


mynameinc
atheist
Posts: 5
Joined: 2011-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Welcome to the nuthouse, myname. Pleased to meet you.

This forum can't be more of a nuthouse than the churches which the people whom we have quoted attend.  Smiling


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
mynameinc

mynameinc wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Welcome to the nuthouse, myname. Pleased to meet you.

This forum can't be more of a nuthouse than the churches which the people whom we have quoted attend.  Smiling

On that one regard, we aim to impress.  Smiling , You may be surprised on how nutty some of the debates get.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Yenko
atheist
Yenko's picture
Posts: 11
Joined: 2011-03-24
User is offlineOffline
It fits in your hand.

It fits in your hand.


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi Mr. Ten Most Wanted

Hello Mr. Cops are going to arrest me,

Those are good quotes. Especially Augustine. Though Anselm's (Credo Ut Intelligum) is also good, though taken from Augustine.

But faith is not your understanding of faith. Remember, faith is interchangable with knowledge, and belief. Thus faith itself as belief enables belief. They go hand in hand.

Your atheism is along Existential and you have that in your mind when you think of Christian faith.

"Irony irony, where art thout my irony."

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Remember,

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Remember, faith is interchangable with knowledge, and belief.

Not if you care about accuracy...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
No

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello Mr. Cops are going to arrest me,

Those are good quotes. Especially Augustine. Though Anselm's (Credo Ut Intelligum) is also good, though taken from Augustine.

But faith is not your understanding of faith. Remember, faith is interchangable with knowledge, and belief. Thus faith itself as belief enables belief. They go hand in hand.

Your atheism is along Existential and you have that in your mind when you think of Christian faith.

"Irony irony, where art thout my irony."

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

 

inductive expectation and religious faith are not the same thing.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi Wanted By the Authorities

Hello Escaped Convict,

I'd actually agree with that statement.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Pheonix wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

"Faith must exist before one can understand."

Saint Augustine

 

"I believe in order to understand." 

Saint Anselm of Canterbury

 

These are things everyone must do, and they are absolutely true. You must believe in order to understand. For example, I believe that what I see, hear, and feel are actually happening, and that they are not illusions, dreams, or computer generated sensations. I also believe that logic is, itself, infallible. There are a handful of assumptions that almost everyone makes together, even if they are not aware of it. The principle assumption is, of course, that my thoughts are real and self generated. Some people go as far as to believe that all matter and energy in the universe spontaneously appeared out of black nothingness, because information attained by their senses and expanded logically suggests that this is what happened.

I was under the impression most people had already been exposed to the principles of Descartes, and that most people accepted the concept of unverifiable existence as a self evident truth. I think he took it to far when he tried to justify God's existence, but up until that point, his logic was fairly good.

 

to an assessment of sense data is not the same as religious faith in a deity, as far as I can tell. I am happy to alter my position any time this is required. The religious are forced to bend changing perceptions of reality in order to make it fit their theistic world view and Anselm and Augustine are classic examples. 

Surely you would agree that an expectation of performance or continued existence of an actual seen and sensed thing can't be compared to faith in an exo-universal god-thing? Anselm insisted that the ultimate truth was god and that faith in this god preceded reason. You'd need to be otherwise motivated in order to accept this as a sensible reasoning.   

We obviously both agree that such reasoning cannot be used to support the existence of any gods. 

 

 

 

Obviously they can't be illusions cause you do percieve things but the other things he said dont seem to be able to be refuted other than there is no reason to believe its true. I am positive that we dont have free choices there is no such thing as a self generated thought. Why do you think I had such trouble with blasphemy if I could control my mind than why didnt I just turn those thoughts off. We are obvisoulsy a machine whos actions are contingent on previous events. I beleive there is a way to prove this to your self. My cousin one time said have you ever thought about how you dont think about what you are going to say before you say it and I was like how bout you dont think about what your going to think before you think it . So there is no way are really in control the concept seems to be meaningless. This is one of the things that got me to question christianity. I thought it seems like god might as well created individuals with a mind from the get go and say do you want to worship me or not but how would the individuals say something differnt giving no differnt input how would they react why would they say no and why would they say yes. This is why hell is unjustified cause there is no good reason why anyone has differnt views on a subject obvioulsy we would always choose the right one if that were so.


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi Yule

Hi YMCA,

I forgot your name. I will try to help you.

[quote There is no reason to believe it's true /quote]

Yes, there is logical reason via my argument and soundness with God's Word. And since reason flows from God, (God Is, thus reason), then it is absurd to attempt the use at reason via the means that there is no God since Reason's survival is based on God's Being.

Yeah, you're of the thinking that we are a machine. So you are of the school of Nietzche and Sarte. The problem with this view is that machines do not know. They operate according to how they are programmed. Thus, where a machine is not programmed, they cannot calculate.

And since a machine is without a soul, you are of the dirt. And since you even lack the bios of animals, you are below the animals.

This is typical revolutionary Postmodern apathy. I haven't met one on this board yet, Glad to meet you.

Machine's can't prove things to their machines. They can only run off of data analysis regarding what they are programmed to do. An inconsistent atheist, wow, shocking.

Hell will not be created (in the future) because of some disagreement over whether that outfit makes your butt look big. It will be over your sin, that you transgressed against the God who created you, and the God who gave you sun, food, water, shelter, a family, money, etc. It is a punishment for the immorality you attempt to justify by a denial of God's "existence."

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

 

 

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Yes,

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Yes, there is logical reason via my argument

Incorrect. 


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi Redead

Hi Redead,

Why am I incorrect. Because wikipedia told you so (LOL).

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi Redead,

Why am I incorrect.

Because I'm vastly more intelligent, and knowledgeable than you, in how things occur in the natural world, and more firmly grounded both scientifically and philosophically.

Oh, and because you hate gays, for no good reason, while I, have no moral or ethical problem with the people of the same gender having sex with each other.

And I will fight for the inalienable individual's rights for liberty to live and die how they choose. Including yours.

 

So, I am vastly superior to you, in every respect that's meaningful to myself, and other mentally and emotional stable humans.

 

And that's why more people will take my word that you are incorrect, than vice versa.

Even if I was to lie, or be incorrect.

I would win, you would lose.

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris