why do girls do it?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
why do girls do it?

why they just use sex to get what they want?

i hate it it make us object only for men not for us

watch this

they just parade around to please men and get money

i not drunk i just have a few drinks but i see it everywhere and hate it

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's Start At The Beginning

Sandycane wrote:
The same is true for a girl who wears skimpy clothes and flaunts her sexuality in a trashy way...people will say she LOOKS like a slut or, tramp. Whether or, not she actually sleeps around is irrelevant to the fact that she LOOKS like she does.

We'll start a little smaller to see if we can get on the same page.

Do you believe that in calling someone a particular name, we can do them harm? Even if just something as small as hurting their feelings?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:This idea

marcusfish wrote:

This idea of class and style, and sluts or whore, is determined entirely by what general society accepts. Society at large is made up of lazy, fat, dishonest, irrational, and theistic baboons.

ROFLMAO. I LOVE THAT !

Lazy, fat, dishonest, irrational and theistic baboons. I am gonna have to use that somewhere for a commentary on theists.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
 jEngineer wrote: I agree

jEngineer wrote:

I agree with many of your statements about men being equally capable of being driven by rationality, and not their dicks;

Any objective person would.

jEngineer wrote:
just as women can be driven by hormones (in a positive, sexual way NOT the moody PMS Stereotype)

You'll have to elaborate on some positive examples of being driven by hormones.

The ones that spring immediately to my mind of women being driven by their hormones, are when they become irrational and out of control.

jEngineer wrote:
...as well as being driven by career goals, competition, and self-motivation.

Oh, so in this instance, they are identical to men?

jEngineer wrote:
However, sweeping generalizations about ...

False allegation, also you've made many fundamental attribution errors, concerning me.

As a matter of fact, your whole post is one large fundamental attribution error, and a figment of your imagination, and your delusional paranoia.

You know nothing about me, yet you carry on as if you have knowledge of my thoughts about topics I've not discussed.

Now, you're already demonstrating that you've not found anything valid to debate, so you'll allege something (invent something) and attempt to 'correct'  that 'something' (that was fabricated by you).

This is a strawman.

A weak tactic.

Just for the record, my statement is FACT. Empirical, and easily verifiable.

jEngineer wrote:
men contributing more to society is not a valid argument.

Another strawman.

You are using terms interchangeably. Either out of a lack of comprehension on the distinctions between terms, or by an insidious attempt to undermine my statements with paraphrasing me and substituting your equivocations and falsehoods.

Weak.

Very weak.

Incredibly weak.

I'm discussing topic 'A', and you're criticising me for some topic I haven't discussed.

I never spoke about 'society'.

I presented a factual statement, demonstrating how males invented virtually everything in and about the modern industrialized world.

Society is another topic.

One which I have yet to discuss, in regards to gender contributions towards it.

But, it terms of societal contributions, we could always start off with the FACT that historically, men were the gender sent in, by the hundreds of thousands, to die for the preservation of our 'societies'.

Women? Ehhh..........not so much.

Careful what topics you want to discuss....

jEngineer wrote:
However, sweeping generalizations about men contributing more to society is not a valid argument. It is well established that the first computer programmer was a woman.

Is this supposed unamed individual woman programmer supposed to be some overwhelming evidence that women as a gender contributed equally or great than males, to society, OR the modern industrialized world?

Puhleeze....

jEngineer wrote:
There are in fact, countless examples of women throughout history who invented many a thing that makes YOUR life comfortable.

Countless?

You're being rhetorical.

More like miniscule, in comparison to males.

Sorry, I know nothing hurts more than the truth.

jEngineer wrote:
(I will not enumerate them here, as it would be a good exercise for you to discover some of them for yourself).

Stop projecting, and posturing that you have some knowledge I'm not aware of.

Only an idiot would buy it.

You must think very low of the intellect in this forum.

You're going to have to ignore what clearly seems to be a habit with you. This isn't the people you choose to surround yourself with, and lecture, where those kinds of tactics work.

I've been made aware of the most prominent and significant inventions in history, which is why the list of female inventions pales in comparison to males.

jEngineer wrote:
The main reason we have not learned of all of them...

Is for the reasons I've mentioned.

There are plenty of feminazis who would revel in a list of 'countless' inventions that were attributable to their gender. It would be great propaganda for them, but the list of inventions, technologies and processes by females would get lost when juxtaposed next to the full list by males.

jEngineer wrote:
and there also remains countless unknown female inventors and scientists

With no evidence, it's absurd to make an absolute claim, about what there IS, to be be found.

In other words, you're merely speculating, hoping and 'projecting' that there ARE countless female inventors and scientists. 

In the meantime, you'd like us all to speculate and hope as well, with you.

Nice try, but again.....weak.

jEngineer wrote:
... is assumptions like this: only men are capable of innovating technology, ever have been, or ever will be.

Another strawman.

More fabrications from you, and allegations that I'm guilty of your fabrications.

Where did I indicate that men are the only ones "capable of innovating technology, ever have been, or ever will be." ?

Please use the quote function and quote where I've said anything of the sort, if you are to *cough* 'correct' me for making the *cough* assumption you accuse me of.

jEngineer wrote:
Also the reason their numbers are still actually quite low:

History has already shown us.

Because males did it.

You're attempting to rewrite the history of the world, it seems, in an apologetic manner.

jEngineer wrote:
women for a long time in history were not even aware of scientific thought, it was kept for the men.

That's non sequitur.

And a complete strawman.

As well as a inane allegation.

Men 'kept' methods of observation, empirical knowledge, and critical thinking for men?

How in the world would they do that?

Were they performing lobotomies on women and turning them into Stepford Wives since prehistoric times?

jEngineer wrote:
It's hard to be an inventor in an environment that shelters you from any rational thought and ENCOURAGES moody airs and bossiness as distinctly feminine and the only POSSIBLE mode of operation. 

More feminazi drivel, and inane non sequiturs.

jEngineer wrote:
Which, as you'll agree with me, still occurs today.

I beg your pardon?

Project much?

You claims are completely non sensical.

And you're mixing metaphors in your inane rhetoric and hyperbole.

You would like to presume that I think that women can be 'sheltered' from rational thought?

Explain that concept of how an individual can be 'sheltered' from thinking rationally?

jEngineer wrote:
Girls and women are trained to think it feminine (though not necessarily attractive) to act this way. 

Really?

So they're conditioned?

By what?

Ideals?

Ideals have no gender, by the way... 

jEngineer wrote:
But please, next time, don't assume...

You're mistaken, projecting strawmen, and intellectually dishonest.

I've not made any assumptions.

jEngineer wrote:
..because you are ignorant ..

You're mistaken, projecting strawmen, and intellectually dishonest.

I've not made any errors due to a lack of knowledge.

Much to your chagrin, and despite your attempts at fabricating evidence in order to arm yourself with 'points' to defeat me with.

You were never able to rebute the facts, as I stated them.

jEngineer wrote:
...to any facts to the contrary, that women are incapable of contributing to the propelling of society and technology.

You're incredibly defensive of women.

To the point that you attack an imaginary position.  

Is this an example of 'positive' hormonal reactions?... 

Sandycane wrote:

Bravo!

It's utterly amusing that you would not only applaud such a pathetic and weak assembly of non sequiturs and strawman allegations, while never actually putting any sort of ding in my original statement of males inventing virtually everything that makes our lives comfortable, but that you have such a irrational contempt for women that MOST men would find incredibly sexually desirable.

But, it does go very far in demonstrating your emotion filled prejudice and warlike attitude towards males, for which our survival (including your personal existence) as a species is owed to, and for women who are not like you.

That's OK.

Men have overcome much larger obstacles, relying on only their own gender, and individual women like them, and ignoring the women who (in general) either have mostly contempt for, or completely despise them.

Here in the western world we've even given them the vibrator, equal rights, numerous social and legal gender privileges, a democracy, and they're still bitter.

Feminazis are practically useless to us males, except for the fact that we are a democratic society, and for the fact that Feminazism is a mental condition, not a genetic one, therefore their offspring are not necessarily afflicted with their hatred.

Thank god (pardon the pun)

The 'facts' about you, and your comments, are simple.

1- You are disgusted by women who differ from you sexually, and sensually.

2- a- You have contempt for men who have a strong sexual drive.

b- You have a contempt for women who have a strong sexual drive.

3- You are willing to be dishonest and claim that there is no 'talent' among the members of the PCD's, when in fact, they were specifically chosen for their talent, and the mountains of empirical record to prove it's existence.

4- You've repeated vitriol and perjoratives towards them, in an attempt to convince others to FEEL the same way you do, towards them, and any other woman who may resemble them, and NOT resemble you.

5- You display a lack of interest in sex, that contrasts many individuals, specifically women, who, report (in the hundreds of thousands) of being unhappy when there is a lack of sex in their lives, and who statistically have shown are equally likely to practice infidelity, in order to satisfy their sexual drives.

6- You don't seem to believe that women are equal to men in 'thinking with their genitals'. And you have no scientific basis to do so. Otherwise you'd not single out men with said claim. Thereby establishing both an igorance, and an agenda.

7- Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary (the fashion, cosmetics, plastic surgery, diet, and gym industries) that women spend BILLIONS on, in an effort to "puff up like peacocks " in competition, you'd like to assert (with your vitriol and perjoratives) that 'men' are the only ones who compete against their own gender for S E X U A L mates, and that they are the only gender with the 'drive' to compete for S E X.

8- You use phallic imagery in your rhetoric, as a pejorative. Which is ironic, considering how many women (other than you) place tremendous value a strong, powerful and large penis as a source of great personal sexual pleasure, and of enormous and much sought after trait in a male sexual partner.

9- Your definition of a 'slut' is meaningless and banal. Deal with it.

Most of your verdicts are nonsensical, and ignorant, and not based on actual reality.

You would like to imply that it is predominantly males who 'objectify' women, in regards to sex, and personal worth, when the great number of women will assert that 'size does matter', and that  'A hard man is good to find'.

You're pushing a double standard with your comments. No two ways about it.

Your out of control comments and thoughts are merely driven by your emotions, and are disturbing. Many of these types of thoughts are considered symptoms of sexual dysfunction, and a dysfunctional hatred towards other individuals, who are merely living their own lives, and not directly affecting yours.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Daaaaaaaayumn!

Brutal, but I like it.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
It seems Butter was right.

It seems Butter was right.  Sigh.

Brutal, but unlikely to further debate.  Writing like that doesn't serve a purpose beyond scoring Internet points, it doesn't educate or convince.

I'm of mixed opinion.  On one hand, I agree with most of the *facts* as represented.  However, I think Red is massively downplaying (perhaps on purpose) the significance of sexism in societies largely driven by physical strength.  For example, pointing out that men defend societies while ignoring that if it were not for men, no-one would need to be defended in the first place.  Or insinuating women have had an equal chance to be as inventive as men, when the reality is men really did, and still do, bar women from that type of education and environments where those things are possible.  He seems to gloss over the reality of cultural influence by insinuating that gender based behavior in regards to science and achievement is predominantly nature rather than nurture without backing that claim up with evidence.  Or making an argument for hormones being negative in women, which shows an ignorance about what hormones actually are and what they actually do, since men have them too and they operate the same way in both sexes.

Essentially, yes, many of his points are accurate, but to call it a lack of female ability is very short-sighted when women who acted in that way would simply be killed or forced into social compliance in male dominated societies.  We still have those societies in various places and when a woman steps outside cultural boundaries it isn't pretty, because they are physically weaker and socially weaker because of the male dominated group dynamic.  Those societal memes still linger even in modern cultures.

Most problematic, it ignores the real evidence, which is that when cultures grant women equal rights the accomplishments of women sky-rocket.  In our own society women are surpassing men in higher education enrollment, for example.  Scientific achievement follows opportunity and as you educate more women you can expect to see things shift to a more equitable place.

There is still the issue of birth and child-care that probably means women will never be statistically perfectly equal in achievement to men, and men are biologically more aggressive, but those differences are not as great as he is implying.

In summary, his facts are mostly fine, but his interpretation is shallow.  If we used that method on other things we'd quickly 'discover' that Caucasians are *vastly* superior to all other races.

The way you actually test this type of argument is by removing cultural factors.  When you do that, you find that differences in mental ability between the sexes, where they exist, are trivial.  The physical differences are larger, but even then they are trivial for a modern society outside of some specific tasks.

Finally, the use of words like, 'Feminazism' make his whole argument sound extremely immature, and although it doesn't mean I can ignore the the content of the actual argument, it does mean I lose respect for the individual making it.  

I would recommend a sociology and psychology class/book to hopefully teach about cultural influence and some serious introspection on what life is like for someone who isn't a white male.  Red needs to ask a lot more 'why' questions to get to the root of gender differences.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
The only thing I'm depressed

The only thing I'm depressed about is the likely outcome of having a bile-filled essay-length rant directed at me.  Yay.

I hope Blake comes back soon, at least his bile filled tirades were almost always insightful.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:....I hope

mellestad wrote:

I hope Blake comes back soon, at least his bile filled tirades were almost always insightful.

On this, I agree 200%.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:It seems

mellestad wrote:

Brutal, but unlikely to further debate.  Writing like that doesn't serve a purpose beyond scoring Internet points, it doesn't educate or convince.

Education is based on learning facts. I've presented facts, which in, and of themselves, are evidence. It's up to the individual, whether or not they want to eschew 'facts' and 'convince' themselves of something other than what the facts represent.

mellestad wrote:
I'm of mixed opinion.  On one hand, I agree with most of the *facts* as represented.  However, I think Red is massively downplaying (perhaps on purpose)...

Singling me out for 'massively downplaying (perhaps on purpose)'  is kind of ironic after my pointing out how the 2 posters I quoted were doing it to completely attempt to assert fallacious claims.

mellestad wrote:
...the significance of sexism in societies largely driven by physical strength.  

That's another topic.

It's germane to the subject, but another topic nonetheless. I have not asserted a position in regards to that, one way or the other.

mellestad wrote:
For example, pointing out that men defend societies while ignoring that if it were not for men, no-one would need to be defended in the first place. 

False premise.

Completely non sequitur. 

You have no evidence to make such an absolute claim.

You are conjuring up a claim that has no scientific basis.

What you are stating implies that females are gentically incapable of being 'at war' with others, and there would be no need for 'defenses', which is a complete fallacy.

mellestad wrote:
Or insinuating women have had an equal chance to be as inventive as men...

I never insinuated anything of the sort. I'd have to believe that, in order to insinuate that, and you have no knowledge of what I believe, in regards to that topic.

You're guilty of both projection, and fundamental attribution error, as well.

mellestad wrote:
He seems to gloss over the reality of cultural influence by insinuating that gender based behavior in regards to science and achievement is predominantly nature rather than nurture without backing that claim up with evidence.  

What it 'seems' I have done, and what I've actually done, can be 2 vastly different things. Such as in this case.

You're trying to foreshadow my 'thoughts', instead of having dialogue with me, and simply asking me what my thoughts are.

If you want to present facts on human history, you can do them without adding 'me' as a preface, into the mix.

You're simply trying to flame me in the process, albeit, in a mild way.

Don't waste my time with those BS tactics.

mellestad wrote:
Or making an argument for hormones being negative in women...

Many women experience, and admit to the negative effects on their behaviour, due to hormones. This is WELL established scientifically, and documented.

There is a large sector of modern medicine that is specifically set up for the diagnosis and treatment of these negatives.

mellestad wrote:
...which shows an ignorance about what hormones actually are and what they actually do...

False assertion, and false allegation.

You're completely incorrect.

mellestad wrote:
...since men have them too and they operate the same way in both sexes.

This, however, is a completely ignorant statement. Males differ from females, both, in physiology and neurology.

I'm not even going to derail into all the points, starting with the fact that males typically have a brain that is 10% larger, and a larger IPL than women, while women typically have a larger DPL.

mellestad wrote:
Essentially, yes, many of his points are accurate, but to call it a lack of female ability is very short-sighted...

Ummm...you meant to say it WOULD have been very short sighted, if I had stated that females lacked ability.

Which I didn't.

You comments again, are misleading.

mellestad wrote:
 Most problematic, it ignores the real evidence..

I love this strawman that just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

No one is guilty of your allegation of 'ignoring' anything, merely because they haven't began discussing a different topic.

mellestad wrote:
 which is that when cultures grant women equal rights the accomplishments of women sky-rocket.  In our own society women are surpassing men in higher education enrollment, for example.  

Academic achievement is one thing.

Inventing things that modernize our world, and getting a diploma, are two vastly different things.

mellestad wrote:
 Scientific achievement follows opportunity and as you educate more women you can expect to see things shift to a more equitable place.

I never speculated (as you are) on the present, and the future, and what ratio of advancement might be solely as a result of female ingenuity.

I spoke specifically about how we got to the 'present', as a result of male drive and ingenuity, in order to contrast some misandrist statements made by a militant female chauvanist  who would like us to believe that men are 'driven' mainly by their sexual drive.

Sorry, I just call them like I see them...

mellestad wrote:
 There is still the issue of birth and child-care that probably means women will never be statistically perfectly equal in achievement to men..

False premise.

That's merely what you attribute to why women probably won't, but, it does nothing to actually compared potential, and output between males and females.

Women have equal rights, equal opportunity to educate themselves.

It matters not who (male or female) can build a better mousetrap, someone will buy it.

mellestad wrote:
 ...and men are biologically more aggressive, but those differences are not as great as he is implying.

Ummm, that's your claim that men are biologically more aggressive.

I'm not convinced they are, at all.

I think it's a common misconception that males are.

mellestad wrote:
In summary, his facts are mostly fine, but his interpretation is shallow.  

That's your verdict, and that's fine. You're entitled to it.

I'm simply amused at your tactics, and the way you lead up to your conclusions.

mellestad wrote:
If we used that method on other things we'd quickly 'discover' that Caucasians are *vastly* superior to all other races.

I'm assuming that you feel it would be incorrect to objectively arrive at some conclusion that would be so 'race' specific.

Why is that?

mellestad wrote:
...differences in mental ability between the sexes, where they exist, are trivial.  

Subjective.

mellestad wrote:
The physical differences are larger, but even then they are trivial for a modern society outside of some specific tasks.

You mean like heavy manual labor that throughout human history led to, built, and and continues to build and better the modern industrial world?

Ya, I guess that could be considered 'trivial'

Although, I wonder how long it would have taken women to build the Hoover Dam, as well as everything else in the modern world, had there been some genetic pandemic that sapped their physical strength, and humanity was entirely reliant on female 'strength', being that your claim that the physical differences between males and females are trivial...

What would the modern world look like?

Can you give us a visual?

mellestad wrote:
Finally, the use of words like, 'Feminazism' make his whole argument sound extremely immature, and although it doesn't mean I can ignore the the content of the actual argument, it does mean I lose respect for the individual making it.  

Not at all.

It may be a dissonant term to your ears, however, it's an abbreviation for a distinct subset of feminists, who are militant towards males.

Which is why I used the term specifically.

I didn't mention 'feminists', as they are distinctly different. I don't use the terms 'feminist', and 'feminazi',  interchangeably.

I greatly support feminism, and equal rights.

mellestad wrote:
I would recommend a sociology and psychology class/book to hopefully teach about cultural influence and some serious introspection on what life is like for someone who isn't a white male.  Red needs to ask a lot more 'why' questions to get to the root of gender differences.

You are most comical.

My majors in college were sociology and psychology.

You presume to be more versed than me, while displaying your obvious ignorance and bias.

As far as your comments on what it's like for someone who isn't a white male.....maybe you should do a little research and investigate all the reverse discrimations against males (and specifically 'white' males), historically, and specifically that have been instituted into MODERN western culture, which YOU seem to be *cough* 'glossing' over, and ignorant to...

Thanks for playing, but I suggest that it's you who is lacking introspection...

Sandycane wrote:

On this, I agree 200%.

Awww...need a hard dicked man to fight your battles for you, babe?..

Maybe time to pull out the come f**k me pumps, and act like a slut.

I hear that'll work...

*******Mod Edit: The last portion of this post resulted in a user infraction.  Please try to retain the illusion of civility.**********

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Speaking of strawmen. I'm

Speaking of strawmen. I'm still trying to figure out how the number of inventions men have made versus women has anything to do with the topic of this thread. Guess my powerful logical abilities are having trouble making that leap. It seems completely unrelated to whether or not the PSD are sluts or should be called sluts or whether or not women should dress "like sluts" or really any other topic we have been covering. 

And Red, you really should try a feminazi sometime. They can be fun too. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:  And

Beyond Saving wrote:

And Red, you really should try a feminazi sometime. They can be fun too. 

Dude, you're preaching to the choir.

Angry women can still love c**k and  f**k like demons.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Ah, what's that smell?  The

Ah, what's that smell?  The bile of an Internet Tough Guy(tm).  And one with dual degrees in psychology and sociology no less!

Lol.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:
It seems Butter was right. Sigh.

Brutal, but unlikely to further debate. Writing like that doesn't serve a purpose beyond scoring Internet points, it doesn't educate or convince.

I will agree that it was brutal and nearly pointless. However, I will go out on a limb and say that the right person might be able to do something with that. Here I can help just a bit. I refuse to read the whole thing but I will comment on one bit that stood out:

redneF wrote:

jEngineer wrote:
However, sweeping generalizations about men contributing more to society is not a valid argument. It is well established that the first computer programmer was a woman.

Is this supposed unamed individual woman programmer supposed to be some overwhelming evidence that women as a gender contributed equally or great than males, to society, OR the modern industrialized world?

Puhleeze....

Well, actually, Rear Admiral Grace Hopper was not the very first programmer. However, she did come up with the idea of there being formal computer languages. She developed the first compiler (a program which turns human readable code into code that the machine can work with) and she came up with the term “bug” (which was actually a moth that died inside of one of the early computers.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Ah, what's

mellestad wrote:

Ah, what's that smell?   

You mean "What's that sound?"

That was the  sound of you being pwned.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:mellestad

redneF wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Ah, what's that smell?   

You mean "What's that sound?"

That was the  sound of you being pwned.

Why, were you talking to yourself as you typed, perhaps a little foam escaping the corners of your mouth?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

mellestad wrote:
It seems Butter was right. Sigh.

Brutal, but unlikely to further debate. Writing like that doesn't serve a purpose beyond scoring Internet points, it doesn't educate or convince.

I will agree that it was brutal and nearly pointless. However, I will go out on a limb and say that the right person might be able to do something with that. Here I can help just a bit. I refuse to read the whole thing but I will comment on one bit that stood out:

How so?  Anyone able to read dispassionately enough to get past his volatile rhetoric isn't going to *need* anything he says, because that type of personality can educate itself already, and from far better sources.  Unless there is some objective worth to be gained by alienating people who might otherwise be led down a path to some new information I don't see how it is anything but bankrupt.

Not to mention hurting his own cause by association.  Again, anyone who is able to get past the delivery and see the message probably didn't need to hear it in the first place.

I know I'm not the most confrontational type on the forums, and I do see a benefit to having multiple personality types, but you run into his arch-type all the time and I've never seen anything positive come about as a result.  All I hope is that they are very young and so might grow out of it.  Can you imagine living life with that running in your brain all the time?  It's like the atheist/skeptic version of a Muslim screaming, "DEAAAAATTTTHHHH!!!" combined with the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.  Maybe you could sum it up as the 4chan-atheist.  It doesn't even make me angry, it just makes me sad because it is so predictably un-helpful.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
I propose a magical and

I propose a magical and unethical hypothetical test:

Put 1000 male children (that can reproduce a-sexually) on one island, 1000 female children on another, and see how long it takes for them to write us an email.

It would be pretty interesting though, 2 completely different worlds constructed over many generations that seperated the sexes, what would they look like? 

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

Have I ever been wrong? 

mellestad wrote:
The only thing I'm depressed about is the likely outcome of having a bile-filled essay-length rant directed at me.  Yay.

You called it. Hahahaha!!!

mellestad wrote:

Yeah, I don't like his style, just like I don't like redneF's style. Of course, I don't get in such mud-slinging matches as much anymore partly because I've gotten lazier and more cynical about the open-mindedness of my opponents. And, I still slip up from time to time. But...still, I think shorter, nicer, more concise and well thought posts promote communication a lot better than long, condescending, pwnage tirades.

But, I agree with Blake about 99% of the time, so I can't complain much about him. Plus, he generally only gets into the *Roar! Death to stupid!* mode when he's talking with someone very irrational. Whenever he talks to us, he's very calm, and his explanations are very good. RednF on the other hand.....needs to be less angry and more open-minded.

mellestad wrote:
Can you imagine living life with that running in your brain all the time?  It's like the atheist/skeptic version of a Muslim screaming, "DEAAAAATTTTHHHH!!!" combined with the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.  Maybe you could sum it up as the 4chan-atheist.  It doesn't even make me angry, it just makes me sad because it is so predictably un-helpful.

Edit: I wonder what a debate between Blake and redneF would be like...................scary.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Edit: I

butterbattle wrote:

Edit: I wonder what a debate between Blake and redneF would be like...................scary.

Actually, the very thought occurred to me as well.  Then I realized what the post structure would look like.

The problem (assuming Blake didn't just blow him off as a waste of time, which is likely, because he only tends to communicate if there is hope of dialog) would be length, can you imagine it?  They both have the same line-by-line style too.  Nothing wrong with that, but each post would be half a page of dialog.

But it would be purely for entertainment, Red isn't going to glean anything useful out of an exchange like that and Blake has better things to do.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
How original.The same

How original.

The same hackneyed tactics as theists, when they can no longer debate.

Simply label someone as 'angry', and 'close minded'.

Ya, that'll win the debate...

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:How

redneF wrote:

How original.

I am a master debater, and I agree with this post!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

redneF wrote:

How original.

Meh, I have no interest in debating you so far, except in that one thread where you wanted to ban freedom of speech to an extent.   

There isn't really any way to "win" these types of online debates. Generally, if there is a fiery debate at all, it's because at least one side is too closed-minded and lacks the clarity of thought to admit that they're wrong. Whoever becomes more open-minded and learned the most from a discussion is the winner, in my opinion. Of course, now I'm playing around with the definition of "win," but I think you know what I mean. At least, I hope you do.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline

redneF wrote:

How original.

This is new, I didn't realise any of this was about winning or losing a debate.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:This is new, I

Tapey wrote:

This is new, I didn't realise any of this was about winning or losing a debate.

Well you've never met Paisley.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:redneF

butterbattle wrote:

redneF wrote:

How original.

Meh, I have no interest in debating you so far, except in that one thread where you wanted to ban freedom of speech to an extent.   

Oh yeah, I remember that "debate". I seem to remember rednef screaming "STRAWMAN! STRAWMAN!" to every good point made. So we know that red doesn't like women or strawmen. He must have had a traumatic experience watching the Wizard of Oz.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm a slut

Well I guess I'll get us back to the topic at hand. I haven't posted on here in forever, but decided to check out what was going on in the forums, and I saw this gem of a thread. And if any of you know me at all, you know that you can find me in a sexuality thread! 

First of all, just had to say that I love the song "Buttons," haha. And actually put time into learning the dance routine from the video so that I could do a seductive dance for my then-boyfriend a few years back. Personally, I actually applaud what the Pussycat Dolls are doing; to me, they send the message that it's ok to be comfortable with one's sexuality, and to not be afraid to express that aspect of oneself.

Can women be objectified sexually? Yes. But in my opinion, the way to counteract this is not to "close up shop" and demand that no woman display her body in a sexual manner; instead, I think it's healthier to encourage women to express their sexuality, so that people can see that almost EVERYONE is a sexual being, in addition to being a lot of other fascinating and interesting things (career-wise, interests-wise, etc.). That way, you take power away from those that are a "one-trick pony" - just a "sex object" - and instead place it on people that have a lot more going on. People don't have to be either sexy OR career-oriented, intellectual, etc. They can be both. Does that make sense? Maybe not. In my head it seemed to, haha.  

I also want to lash out at the societal standard that women essentially act as prudes. Come on man, this is the 21st century. We are well aware that a large percentage of our behavior is sexually motivated (I'm sure Hamby could give stats on this). Why pretend like we're above this? Why can't I, as a woman, desire sex, too? The standard seems to be that men are the ones that are supposed to proposition a woman, and if you're a "decent" woman, you'll refuse. WTH? I'm just as guilty of wanting sex sometimes, and I know I'm just as guilty of "coming on" to men as men are to women. Why is this behavior considered lewd for women, but normal for men?

Which brings me to this point: I like sex. And I've had a lot of it. With a lot of different people. And I'm not ashamed of it, nor do I think any woman should be of her sexuality. 99% of the time all I want out of sex is sex. When I go out, I dress attractively, and often score free drinks, weed, or other perks because of it, though I usually don't actively try to. So why do I do it? Well, I guess because, as other posters have pointed out, it works. If people are willing to offer me free stuff, I'm probably not going to turn it down - I mean, it's free! I don't see the difference between being rewarded for looking good, and being rewarded for getting a good report card by my parents when I was little.  

Finally, I agree with the comments that accused pineapple and sandy of being jealous of these "slutty" women. I know I'm sometimes guilty of feeling jealous toward a woman more scantily dressed than myself, and it basically boils down to the fact that I feel that when she's around, I'm not the most sexually desirable woman in the room. Selfish, but true. 

Hope this post made a modicum of sense. I'm a bit rusty at posting, so go easy on me. 

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah Reason

greek goddess wrote:
I like sex. And I've had a lot of it. With a lot of different people.

SLUT!!

greek goddess wrote:
Finally, I agree with the comments that accused pineapple and sandy of being jealous of these "slutty" women. I know I'm sometimes guilty of feeling jealous toward a woman more scantily dressed than myself, and it basically boils down to the fact that I feel that when she's around, I'm not the most sexually desirable woman in the room. Selfish, but true. 

Of course you get jealous; everyone does. When people say things like they are not jealous of anyone, they are either being dishonest or delusional because it isn't remotely true (and everyone knows it). When I tear someone down by insulting their choice of clothes or posture, is very unlikely I am doing so as a public service to humanity at large.

Wonderful post, I think you summed up the reasonable position nicely!

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Nice to see you back,

Nice to see you back, Greek.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Approach

mellestad wrote:

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I will agree that it was brutal and nearly pointless. However, I will go out on a limb and say that the right person might be able to do something with that.

How so?  Anyone able to read dispassionately enough to get past his volatile rhetoric isn't going to *need* anything he says, because that type of personality can educate itself already, and from far better sources. 

It's a matter of approach, and how we assign value to it.

I have seen quite a few posts in the past (thought it has been a while for some reason) where people attack the RRS as being too aggressive to do any good. They say that the premise is too abrasive and that it only serves to separate people from the message we would hope to deliver. They are absolutely correct about this, and completely wrong.

People absorb information in different formats. Some people really only learn in heightened situations where there is something on the line (like ego). When their blood gets up and they are really having it out with someone they seem to grow the most from it. If name calling and highly aggressive personal attacks are involved, all the better!

Others function much better in the absence of such intensity and are more likely to learn the most from a quiet conversation in which each point and counterpoint is explored delicately and at length.

Obviously neither of these methods is wrong, they are just most effective for particular audiences.

I prefer Sam Harris' approach to debate. He is calm and non-judging most of the time, and is mostly just interested in attacking the idea and is not concerned with the value of his opponent. Christopher Hitchens, on the other hand, really likes to drag his opponent over the coals and can be quite brutal about whether or not they are making any sense. Both of these guys are of immense value to the intellectual community and both of their approaches to communication are 100% correct - if only for different people.

So, in this I am in agreement with AiGS, the abrasive rant from redneF may have been exactly what some reader needed to hear. Perhaps there is an a-sexual, dried up old hag of a man-hater out there who will read his post and say, "Huh, yunno, maybe I don't have to be such a jerk after all". That's all we can really ask for, usually, is just the hopes of reaching one person and having them leave a bit more rational than when they came in.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

Hope this post made a modicum of sense. I'm a bit rusty at posting, so go easy on me. 

Nice post.

I can't speak for Pineapple and if you all feel better thinking I am jealous, then go right ahead. At this point I realize there isn't much I can say to convince you otherwise - and I don't care. I will say though, when I was your age, I felt and behaved the same way you do now. I was the one who got the dirty looks from the jealous girls and the prudy women. Been there, done that and I understand exactly where you are coming from...

...but, 'jealous' of other women? Never

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:So, in this

marcusfish wrote:

So, in this I am in agreement with AiGS, the abrasive rant from redneF may have been exactly what some reader needed to hear. Perhaps there is an a-sexual, dried up old hag of a man-hater out there who will read his post and say, "Huh, yunno, maybe I don't have to be such a jerk after all". That's all we can really ask for, usually, is just the hopes of reaching one person and having them leave a bit more rational than when they came in.

I'm sorry, if this person exists I've never met them.  On the scale of, "things likely to happen" I just don't see that as a feasible option.  What is likely, is some teenager reads that and thinks, "Holy shit, women really are worthless!", or the old hag reads it and says, "See?  Men really are assholes who think with their dicks!".

I understand your point, I really do, but I think this particular style of posting mixes too much bad with not enough good.  I encourage more in-your-face posting and I know I fall under the other side of the spectrum, but I think there is a point of diminishing returns and that went way over that line into negative-ville.

Oh well though, no worries.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sometimes, Picking Fights Ends Up In A Fight

mellestad wrote:
I know I fall under the other side of the spectrum, but I think there is a point of diminishing returns and that went way over that line into negative-ville.

Oh no, I get that my argument is superficial when used to defend a post that is as violent as his was. I totally get that it is way over the top and that, for at least a whole crap load of people, any real information which could have been gained will likely be lost in the emotion. This is certainly unfortunate in a post which I think has some real value, like that one.

I might be personally attached to the post because someone finally just went off on Sandycane  

I just can't bring myself to berate the guy for it!

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bullshit

Sandycane wrote:
..but, 'jealous' of other women? Never

You're not subject to those pesky old "human emotions" eh?

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: Btw, who's

Sandycane wrote:

Btw, who's the filthy tramp in that picture?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Sandycane

marcusfish wrote:

Sandycane wrote:
..but, 'jealous' of other women? Never

You're not subject to those pesky old "human emotions" eh?

Jealousy? No.

Let me give you a valuable life lesson, carpbreath:

When you are satisfied with what you have, your abilities to get what you need an an appreciation for those who who can do and have done the same, there is no room for jealousy.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just... Wow

Sandycane wrote:

Let me give you a valuable life lesson, carpbreath

Oops, you seem to have stumbled upon a human emotion after all.

And here I thought you were immune.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Sandycane

marcusfish wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Let me give you a valuable life lesson, carpbreath

Oops, you seem to have stumbled upon a human emotion after all.

And here I thought you were immune.

What emotion is that, you refer to?

Keen observation is a quality not an emotion.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:marcusfish

mellestad wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

I'm sorry, if this person exists I've never met them.  On the scale of, "things likely to happen" I just don't see that as a feasible option.  What is likely, is some teenager reads that and thinks, "Holy shit, women really are worthless!", or the old hag reads it and says, "See?  Men really are assholes who think with their dicks!".

I understand your point, I really do, but I think this particular style of posting mixes too much bad with not enough good.  I encourage more in-your-face posting and I know I fall under the other side of the spectrum, but I think there is a point of diminishing returns and that went way over that line into negative-ville.

Excuse me, speaking as the resident "dried up old hag" on the board, I am neither a-sexual nor a man hater. 

I think men are nice to have around to get things off the top shelf for me, help around the house, and yeah, have some hollering good times with. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:...but,

Sandycane wrote:

I have never considered myself to be particularly sexy - my mom made sure my self esteem was truly trampled in the dust long before I was old enough to have boobs.  Jealous?  When I was younger, it was more resignation - I'll never look like any of those women without a total body transplant, so why be jealous of something beyond my control.  At my age now it's a waste of my time and energy.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meetin In The Middle

cj wrote:

mellestad wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

Perhaps there is an a-sexual, dried up old hag of a man-hater out there who will read his post

the old hag reads it and says, "See?  Men really are assholes who think with their dicks!".

I think men are nice to have around to get things off the top shelf for me, help around the house, and yeah, have some hollering good times with.   

Couldn't agree more. I enjoy having women around to straighten the place up, raise my kids, and have some good old fashioned romping fun!

Nice to know that we can meet somewhere in the middle Smiling

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Envy

cj wrote:
Sandycane wrote:

I have never considered myself to be particularly sexy - my mom made sure my self esteem was truly trampled in the dust long before I was old enough to have boobs.  Jealous?  When I was younger, it was more resignation - I'll never look like any of those women without a total body transplant, so why be jealous of something beyond my control.  At my age now it's a waste of my time and energy.

Jealousy and envy sure do take up quite a bit of energy, that is definitely true. I find that I am less susceptible to worrying about someone else's advantages over me when I'm in a solid mental/emotional state. Those are good days!

It comes and goes, obviously, as life sometimes will just not allow me the room to be anything but neurotic.

If I catch myself doing things like cutting someone down because of how good they look or how successful they are - I can usually be pretty safe in assuming that reaction is due to envy (wrongly called jealousy). It's not such a horrible, thing, it's just the way we are made and it can be difficult to avoid at times.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:If I catch

marcusfish wrote:

If I catch myself doing things like cutting someone down because of how good they look or how successful they are - I can usually be pretty safe in assuming that reaction is due to envy (wrongly called jealousy). It's not such a horrible, thing, it's just the way we are made and it can be difficult to avoid at times.

My standards are not high - a comfortable place to live, no worries about money, good health.  Those are the people I envy anymore. 

A sexy body?  Well, a working body would be a nice start.  I'm more envious of their ability to move their backsides without obvious pain.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:marcusfish wrote:If

cj wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

My standards are not high - a comfortable place to live, no worries about money, good health.  Those are the people I envy anymore. 

A sexy body?  Well, a working body would be a nice start.  I'm more envious of their ability to move their backsides without obvious pain.

Yeah, this is a more desireable goal the older we get.

I was sitting on the floor last night for a bout 2 hours putting up floss on a rack, and feeling pretty good about the whole situatin... until I tried to get up off the floor. Sometimes, growing up sucks.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Then?

cj wrote:

A sexy body?  Well, a working body would be a nice start. 

I almost spit coffee out my nose; well played madam.

To the topic:

It seems clear enough to me that envy is part of this issue of attacking girl expression like the PCD but surely that can't be the prime motivator. Our society certainly does love to put down the sexual expression of its females. That has always been true in our country and I would say it is at an all time worst currently. With the advent of what some consider "Modern Feminism" we now have women joining teams with the white haired old men who would try to keep them down. Now the chauvinistic males don't have to lift a finger to vilify sexually expressive women - the feminist will do it for them. How this is an advantage to the feminist movement still eludes me but they sure do seem excited about it.

What could be the motivation then for this all purpose fear of female sexuality (I'll leave the malice toward men alone until someone starts dropping "thinking with their dick" comments again)? It makes sense that it is a natural response to competition, to beat down the commonly accepted "hot girls" to make room for those who don't fit the criteria. That would also seem to explain why the violent reaction is so deeply ingrained as to be a complete secret to the women who personify it.

It is possible that there is actually a logical reason to put these girls down, none have yet been expressed, but I suppose there could be one out there.

Is there? As has been asked before, what is actually wrong with how the PCDs behave?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:cj wrote:A

marcusfish wrote:

cj wrote:

A sexy body?  Well, a working body would be a nice start. 

I almost spit coffee out my nose; well played madam.

To the topic:

It seems clear enough to me that envy is part of this issue of attacking girl expression like the PCD but surely that can't be the prime motivator. Our society certainly does love to put down the sexual expression of its females. That has always been true in our country and I would say it is at an all time worst currently. With the advent of what some consider "Modern Feminism" we now have women joining teams with the white haired old men who would try to keep them down. Now the chauvinistic males don't have to lift a finger to vilify sexually expressive women - the feminist will do it for them. How this is an advantage to the feminist movement still eludes me but they sure do seem excited about it.

What could be the motivation then for this all purpose fear of female sexuality (I'll leave the malice toward men alone until someone starts dropping "thinking with their dick" comments again)? It makes sense that it is a natural response to competition, to beat down the commonly accepted "hot girls" to make room for those who don't fit the criteria. That would also seem to explain why the violent reaction is so deeply ingrained as to be a complete secret to the women who personify it.

It is possible that there is actually a logical reason to put these girls down, none have yet been expressed, but I suppose there could be one out there.

Is there? As has been asked before, what is actually wrong with how the PCDs behave?

Marcus,

I'll spare you (and me) the line-by-line reply and keep it brief...

Most of the accusations and insults thus far have been directed at me although none of them actually apply to me (I will take responsibility for the sexist anti-male comments, though). I am not jealous. I am not an old hag. And, I never said that their behavior or dress was BAD or WRONG. What I did was describe them as how I saw them according to their dress and behavior.

The only thing that could be considered 'bad' about dressing and acting that way is that others will say you look like a slut or, tramp or, whatever.

Is it BAD or WRONG to present yourself in a way that resembles a slut? I don't think so.

Is it BAD or, WRONG to actually be a slut? Again, I would say no BUT, there could be bad consequences for making that choice... like going to a bar shit-faced drunk looking and acting like a slut, you will most likely be treated like one. If that is the response you are after, then you'll most likely get it.

For me, those words are simply descriptions of appearance... no different than seeing someone at a Halloween party dressed like Sailor Moon, Wonder Woman, the Wicked Witch of the West or, Snow White... they are dressing and acting out the character while not being the character.

Make sense to you?

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Wonderful

marcusfish wrote:

Wonderful post, I think you summed up the reasonable position nicely!

mellestad wrote:

Nice to see you back, Greek.

Thanks guys. It'll probably be awhile until I'm a regular poster again, as I am busy with finishing up school, but I'll try to check in at least occasionally. And for the record, I think you both have made some good points in this thread. 

marcusfish wrote:

I'm curious to hear the answer to this question, too. 

I'm still holding to the jealousy theory in at least some cases - like maybe cpt. pineapple. 

Another reason is that maybe women tend to put down these women in order to elevate themselves - like, "Well, at least I don't do anything WRONG." But why would you need to put someone down if you didn't feel jealous, or at least threatened by them? So I guess that's really just jealousy masquerading in another form.

There are lots of religious reasons as to why this type of behavior could be considered wrong, but since we're all atheists, and I'm assuming none of us agree with those, I won't even bother delving into that. 

There's the whole "objectifies women" bit, but I happen to think it's actually empowering to think that women can hold that much control over men just based on looks and sexuality - so I hardly see us as the victims in this situation, but perhaps there are others that would disagree.

At any rate, like I said, I'd be curious to hear some opinions.

Also, there is an ad for ihop in my sidebar, and the picture of pancakes is making me hungry. That is all. 

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Language

Sandycane wrote:

Make sense to you?

Very civil, I appreciate your efforts.

It would make sense to me if I agreed that the language being used was not derogatory (which I do not). I can say that someone is promiscuous and not intend to hurt them. I can say that someone wears very revealing clothing and not intend to hurt them. I cannot say that someone looks like a slut and claim that I had no knowledge that they might be hurt by it.

Those words are used to tear people down, so in perpetuating that language it is reasonable to assume that the person using the language intends to tear the subjects down.

"She is a slut" vs "she dresses like a slut" are functionally identical. Drawing distinctions between these two statements is useless and hides from the point of the fact that the language is hateful.

The reason there is an assumption that you have a huge issue with girls like the PCDs is because you are so insistent upon using that kind of attacking and hurtful terminology. If you did not have ill will toward them then why would you talk like you do? This is the nature of the argument, not which words you can be specifically quoted as being used in which exact and technical format.

Now, if you just don't *care* whether or not your language is hateful then that is another discussion - but claiming that it is not hateful at all is what will keep the disagreement going.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Does Not Equal Skeptic

greek goddess wrote:

There are lots of religious reasons as to why this type of behavior could be considered wrong, but since we're all atheists, and I'm assuming none of us agree with those, I won't even bother delving into that. 

This is where I think we get into trouble. I catch myself making assumptions about how reasonable and skeptical a person is partially based on if they are atheist or theist. This very frequently comes back to bite me.

An atheist doesn't believe in god - that particular religious reasoning has been rejected, but that is only one of them. They are still just as likely to hate gays, blacks, women, men, studs, sluts, smart people, stupid people, whatever. They are just as likely to be capitalist, fascist, communist, left-wing, right-wing, scumbags. Being atheist really doesn't mean much so the fact that we find deep religious ideology being clung to should not come as a big surprise.

Granted, I am still surprised every time I discover it, but I *should* know better.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I could be wrong about

I could be wrong about this but it seems to me that the source of the animosity is that women feel that other women can use their beauty to take things away from them that they worked hard for e.g. relationships, job opportunities etc. 

This is why I believe it's harder for women to forgive other women for being too attractive than for being intelligent or talented. 

It seems dishonest though to criticize people for how they dress, or dance, or how many men they fuck when you didn't care about them, trust them, or like them anyway.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Comparing Potential

Gauche wrote:

I could be wrong about this but it seems to me that the source of the animosity is that women feel that other women can use their beauty to take things away from them that they worked hard for e.g. relationships, job opportunities etc. 

I am a classist. I grew up quite poor and my life has built in the direction that most poor people's lives develop. My opportunities and influences weren't probably the best and I have turned out accordingly. I find that, when I allow myself, I have a great deal of animosity toward the privileged.

When I am in traffic and some yutz in a Lexus cuts me off you can bet that I am yelling something about being a "yuppie mammas boy" into my windshield. Now, if I were to say that to the guys face I would probably feel pretty crummy about it (maybe not then, but I would eventually). That would be because I tore him down for the fact that he had different and probably much higher potential of success than myself in areas which I find important. He went to better schools than I did, was exposed to better role models, had plenty of money to take specialized classes etc. When it comes to some of life's challenges which I find worthy of considering, he is probably way better at them and his chance of success is likely considerably higher.

It's not his fault that he grew up different than I did; he just did. I can hate him for it if I want but that's hardly fair.

I suspect this is close to the envy issue which women feel toward their female competitors.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)