why do girls do it?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
why do girls do it?

why they just use sex to get what they want?

i hate it it make us object only for men not for us

watch this

they just parade around to please men and get money

i not drunk i just have a few drinks but i see it everywhere and hate it

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
pineapple your going to

pineapple your going to bring up lisa loeb??? Really Madonna was before her and acted even more sluttier than her and still has more talent than lisa loeb, what is slutty really? Sofia Loren? Ursula andress? I mean these women portrayed sexuality in their era which they wore far far less stuff than Lisa lobe does in that video, yet they are remembered for their talent on screen and their charity work off screen, they dressed really no different than the pussy cat dolls on screen at time. It's purely an image thing and more so a generational thing. In the 90's there was so many female bands/music groups as well as singers that dresses similar to pussy cat dolls, same goes for the 80's, 70's. they may have dressed differently for the music business in their time, however they still used their sexuality. Michelle Philips of the mamas and papas, Stevie Nicks, Tina turner, Deborah Harry, Cher, and the list can go on and on, these woman, all talented and yet all them are were considered very sexually desirable by so many men and women in their era. Yet some where considered to be sluts by other women in society, 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Is it

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Is it true most of the Pussycat Dolls fans are female? Yeah, I'm pretty sure, if you watch videos of their concerts, it's mostly females in the audience. Also if you look at the stats of the video

Audiences

This video is most popular with:

Gender Age
Female 13-17
Female 18-24
Male 35-44

Why? I don't know.

I'm guessing the young girls want to be that "sophisticated" and the middle aged men - who are on the verge of having it shrivel up - wish they could have someone like that.  This is my idea of a sexy woman -

If I looked half as good and was in just 1/4 as in shape.....

She was 70-fucking-years-old in 2009. Whooooooo!!!!!!!

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: I think

Sandycane wrote:

I think the Iranian mindset is a new and, hopefully, temporary one.

Go back further to the belly dancers of Persia or, Egypt.

Same thing - different generation.

Well yes.

Which was my point on this particular earlier post that I made  :

I have heard it mentioned by many people ( I am not talking about on this thread, but elsewhere) about how much more predominantly sexual that our modern culture has become and how much more open that it seems to be, but is this true ? Is that even a bad thing ?

For instance, go to a museum and check out Renaissance art paintings and sculptures. Quite alot of sexual imagery and much of it is tied into religious themes. Some of it very erotic, some of it very disturbing, but this was acceptable art in the time when Europe was deemed as Christendom. Same thing with quite a bit of the literature of that time period as well.

The pictures and the drawings of Toulouse Lautrec  in the 19th century is just but one example of how often people liked to see imagery of the so-called "decadent" in art. Lautrec is only one example of the artists of that time period.

The romantic words of "courtly love" are referring to adultery in medieval poems.

Need we mention some of the artifacts that were discovered in Pompeii and how overtly sexual that culture was ?

How about some of the practices of the ancient Romans and Greeks when it came to sex ?

Look at how shocked the world was in the 1960's when the hippy movement came up with such ideas as "free love" and "love ins" and even that term made famous by the Supremes song "Love Child".

Taboos, fascination and attraction to sexual behavior are really nothing all of that new or alarming if you ask me.

For much of the older generation (I guess I could fit in that category, being in my mid-30's) it may seem somehow decadent to look at the practices of the young, but that is not unusual at all .

When I was a kid, heavy metal and MTV were  going to be the utter destruction of the future generations, the elderly said.

Every new generation has to push it's boundaries and mess with the elderly, I think it is normal.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:pineapple

latincanuck wrote:

pineapple your going to bring up lisa loeb??? Really Madonna was before her and acted even more sluttier than her and still has more talent than lisa loeb, what is slutty really? Sofia Loren? Ursula andress? I mean these women portrayed sexuality in their era which they wore far far less stuff than Lisa lobe does in that video, yet they are remembered for their talent on screen and their charity work off screen, they dressed really no different than the pussy cat dolls on screen at time. It's purely an image thing and more so a generational thing. In the 90's there was so many female bands/music groups as well as singers that dresses similar to pussy cat dolls, same goes for the 80's, 70's. they may have dressed differently for the music business in their time, however they still used their sexuality. Michelle Philips of the mamas and papas, Stevie Nicks, Tina turner, Deborah Harry, Cher, and the list can go on and on, these woman, all talented and yet all them are were considered very sexually desirable by so many men and women in their era. Yet some where considered to be sluts by other women in society, 

I'm not saying Lisa Loeb is slutty, I used her as an example of somebody who wasn't. Compare her videos to PCD or Miley Cyrus.

HUGE difference.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
The intellectuals have

The intellectuals have returned...

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Answers in

Sandycane wrote:

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

So Sandy, are you a father?

So you are checking out some stroke sites on the intarwebs. ...

No, I'm not a father and the rest of that visual was waaay too much information for me.

But I see what you are getting at, I think. You feel that there is a certain age when dressing like a slut is acceptable, before that age, it's not. Why?

A daughter is always a daughter, no mater how old she is and although I'm not a father, I would assume that if it breaks a father's heart to see his 16 year old daughter dress like a slut, he would feel the same way no matter what her age. Well, unless the dude is a piece of trash, too... or, her pimp.

What is inevitable, Sandy, is that every one of the Pussycat Dolls will likely with age have the same point of view as you if they have daughters. The queen of "slut" Madonna is now fully clad most of the time and she tries to shield her daughter from the slut-world. And chances are, she will rebel and her mom Madonna will speak the classic phrase "hmmph, when I was a young girl, I never did such things".

Every Playboy centerfold since the inception of the magazine was/is someone's daughter. And men and boys for over 50 years jerked off to those images. And the Playmates who are now grandmothers are likely echoing your sentiments. The slut torch gets passed on from generation to generation. The cycle never ends.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm not saying Lisa Loeb is slutty, I used her as an example of somebody who wasn't. Compare her videos to PCD or Miley Cyrus.

HUGE difference.

Is there supposed to be some sort of clear cut line, drawn in the sand, completely cut off from all subjective opinions to determine the difference between artistic expression and what some people would deem as "slutty" ?

Is there supposed to be some sort of uniform morality that everyone is supposed to adhere to ? If so, who gets to decide that and why do they have the ultimate say so ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I just want to say

I just want to say that your threads are the worst , though I did rather enjoy the video. You act as if the sexual needs of women were the inverse of male desires and all outward expressions of female sexuality were coping strategies or clever pretenses to navigate a world of male predation. That's insulting to men and women. Why don't you just focus on yourself and your own problems.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: I'm guessing the

cj wrote:

I'm guessing the young girls want to be that "sophisticated" and the middle aged men - who are on the verge of having it shrivel up - wish they could have someone like that.  This is my idea of a sexy woman -

If I looked half as good and was in just 1/4 as in shape.....

She was 70-fucking-years-old in 2009. Whooooooo!!!!!!!

LOL!! I was watching a video of Tina and Beyonce (or whatever her name is) last night, almost posted it (the expression on GW's face was priceless) but didn't because my Flash feature wasn't working.

I didn't realize she was 70!!!!!  

I didn't think anyone could compete with those legs but, I'd have to say Beyonce has Tina beat.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Slutty Looking Women Are Bad

*raises hand*  Just to make sure I am keeping up with this highly energetic thread:

Is the argument about why the Pussy Cat Dolls are deserving of animosity that their fathers might not approve of what they are doing? Our personal and emotionally biased disdain for them is backed up by how we wildly speculate their fathers *might* feel about their daughter's profession?

Further, did we also come to the agreement that, if someone does not have a daughter that their opinion on the topic is invalid? In order for an assertion to be given rational weight it needs to be weighed on how close the author is to the subject - instead of the weight of the argument itself?

For anyone who doesn't know, entertainers like the Pussy Cat Dolls put incredible effort into their craft. These women are athletes and entertainers. They put in hours of work every day and probably have for better than 15 years. While someone might be petty or bored enough with their own lives to pick and gripe at how these girls dress, calling them "no talent" is just ignorant.

\Have you noticed that their timing is perfect? That they don't have an ounce of fat on their bodies? Do you know why that is? They woooooooorked for it; harder than I would wager 99% of the people on this board have worked at anything throughout our entire lives. We should admire these women, not vilify them because we think their movements aren't Puritanical enough.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
 marcusfish wrote:*raises

marcusfish wrote:

*raises hand*  Just to make sure I am keeping up with this highly energetic thread:

Too late, you've fallen behind. Try harder to keep up.

Quote:
Is the argument about why the Pussy Cat Dolls are deserving of animosity that their fathers might not approve of what they are doing? Our personal and emotionally biased disdain for them is backed up by how we wildly speculate their fathers *might* feel about their daughter's profession?
No.

Quote:
Further, did we also come to the agreement that, if someone does not have a daughter that their opinion on the topic is invalid? In order for an assertion to be given rational weight it needs to be weighed on how close the author is to the subject - instead of the weight of the argument itself?
No.

Quote:
For anyone who doesn't know, entertainers like the Pussy Cat Dolls put incredible effort into their craft. These women are athletes and entertainers. They put in hours of work every day and probably have for better than 15 years. While someone might be petty or bored enough with their own lives to pick and gripe at how these girls dress, calling them "no talent" is just ignorant.

\Have you noticed that their timing is perfect? That they don't have an ounce of fat on their bodies? Do you know why that is? They woooooooorked for it; harder than I would wager 99% of the people on this board have worked at anything throughout our entire lives. We should admire these women, not vilify them because we think their movements aren't Puritanical enough.

Just a recap: I think we've come to the conclusion that it's a generational thing, it's been going on since The Beginning and most likely will continue for all eternity - sex sells, some women know how to work it and some prefer not to.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sum Up

harleysportster wrote:

Is there supposed to be some sort of clear cut line, drawn in the sand, completely cut off from all subjective opinions to determine the difference between artistic expression and what some people would deem as "slutty" ?

Is there supposed to be some sort of uniform morality that everyone is supposed to adhere to ? If so, who gets to decide that and why do they have the ultimate say so ?

Here is the answer to the OP question as well as the other anti-female sexuality posters in the thread.

Good sum-up harleysporter. I sure love listening to some of you guys talk (mellestad, Beyond Saving, ragdish, latincanuck). It's nice to be humbled intellectually - reminds me that I'm not as clever as I think I am Smiling

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay. To be fair, I just

Okay. To be fair, I just watched the entire PCD video.

I think the biggest problem with the video is the camera man... he sucks at his job.

The lead singer has a good voice, the girl wearing the red midriff top has an even better voice, imo.

But, all the little Pips jumping around all over the stage is a major distraction and my initial reaction was 'this is a talent-less mish mash'.

The subject of the song and the lyrics are not very good. Perhaps if they had better material to work with, they would better be able to show their talents.

Of course, if I were a 15 year old, I'd probably like them just as they are - but, I'm not... and my opinion is just as valid as that of a 15 year old... I think more so.  But, on the other hand, it doesn't matter what I think of them since people my age and gender are not part of their marketing strategy.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mellestad

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:

It isn't relevant.  It it were relevant, you'd not be able to talk about how men, 'think with their dicks', not having one yourself.  You'd not be able to talk about famous bands if you had not been in a famous band.  Etc.

Either you can address someone's arguments rationally or you can't.  What you could do is perhaps leverage your own experiences relating to a particular thing and use that as an anecdote to support an argument, but your basic argument still needs to have merit rather than appealing to emotion.

No, it is not irrelevant. Following your (non) logic, neither you nor any of the other guys here would be able to post opinions on why some girls choose to dress like sluts... since none of you have tits (I'm assuming).

If you have a daughter, I'd like to know how you allow her to dress when leaving your home (assuming she is still under 21...what they do after that is pretty much beyond your control).

If you don't have a daughter then you have NO IDEA what it is like to have one and you have no idea what it feels like to have some guy drool and leak penis juice all over himself looking at her if she is dressed like a whore.

These facts are very relevant to the topic.

You feel you have the right to an opinion on what is acceptable attire for girls not related to you yet, if you have no daughter, it is impossible to know how a father feels when his daughter is the recipient of lustful ogling.

You are still entitled to have an opinion, just not one from a fathers pov.

So, does anyone besides Jefrick have a daughter?

Sandy, you totally missed my point.  I agree, if those points are valid I couldn't talk about girls dressing like 'skanks'.  That was my point, lol.

If you don't recognize the problem with relying on personal anecdotes to 'prove' a point, I'm at a loss about how to have rational discourse.

Sandy, you've ranted about this whole thread about how certain behaviors are bad, how these women are skanks and sluts and tramps (your words) but at no time have you made a single, actual argument for *why* these things are bad.  Not once.  There are plenty of good arguments against any lifestyle choice you'd care to name, but you're ignoring all of them.  If someone was on here and said, "This is OK because it makes my dick hard" I'd be asking them to back that up too.  I get that you have a hostile emotional reaction to the Pussycat dolls, up to the point of personally insulting them without any knowledge of their personal lives.  Why should I care?  How is what you're saying convincing?  Honestly, it makes me want to be contrary simply because you're lashing out in a way I don't like.

----------------

But it seems you've realized it is a generational thing and not a rational reaction.  Now it just remains to be seen what you do with this new-found awareness of self.

----------------

And yes, I have a daughter.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

HUGE difference.

Oh i know you where using Lisa Loeb as a non slut with talent, but she is really only known for 1 song, that one song and her TV show which was pretty forgettable. What I was saying was is using your sexuality really being slutty? Or is sleeping with everyone slutty? There are big differences there.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Sandy,

mellestad wrote:

Sandy, you've ranted about this whole thread about how certain behaviors are bad, how these women are skanks and sluts and tramps (your words) but at no time have you made a single, actual argument for *why* these things are bad. 

I will walk into what is no doubt an obvious trap. Acting/Dressing like that degrades woman, it dehumanizes them. It sends the wrong message.

Please note I don't actually believe this.

What I actually think on the matter is no doubt totally irrational. but to bad.

I'm against women dressing and acting like that for the same reason I don't like people swearing. I leave it to you guys to figure that one out.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:mellestad

Tapey wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Sandy, you've ranted about this whole thread about how certain behaviors are bad, how these women are skanks and sluts and tramps (your words) but at no time have you made a single, actual argument for *why* these things are bad. 

I will walk into what is no doubt an obvious trap. Acting/Dressing like that degrades woman, it dehumanizes them. It sends the wrong message.

Please note I don't actually believe this.

I'm against women dressing and acting like that for the same reason I don't like people swearing. I leave it to you guys to figure that one out.

It isn't a trap, I honestly don't care all that much either way, but I like it when people think about why they feel the way they feel, and I like it when they criticize something based on some rational thought process rather than how it makes them intuitively feel.

I just wanted Sandy to think about why she felt the way she felt and see if that was a rational response.  Her response up to the last couple of posts seemed like literal hate, and that seemed totally unjustified by anything she had said.

And if someone did say what you said, that isn't much better.  Why does it degrade, what is degrade, what is the right message, why does it dehumanize, what is human, etc. etc.

When you say, "What I think is no doubt irrational, but too bad" it makes me sad.  If you don't care in the slightest for basing your views on something rational, why are you here?  I know this site is mostly about atheism, but that you should be an atheist because you are rational, not rational because you are an atheist.

My 'goal' isn't to get people to believe or disbelieve in a certain way, it is to change the way they think.  Sandy has already realized the root of her dislike for this behavior is simply cultural, and this is an opportunity for introspection and a change of perspective.  If I have an opinion with no good basis, I hope someone else tries to take me to task in the same way, and I hope I have the ability to take measure of my own assumptions in an objective way.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dehumanizing

Tapey wrote:
Acting/Dressing like that degrades woman, it dehumanizes them.

Slinking around in skimpy clothing, being attractive and athletic is dehumanizing? How exactly are we describing human if doing this makes them less human? What scale are we working on if you have fully human on one side and completely dehumanized on the other?

Tapey wrote:
It sends the wrong message.

Maybe it sends a message that not everyone likes, but that certainly doesn't make it the wrong message.

Theists don't like messages that atheists send - did we send out the wrong message? Or just a message that they, in their own personal and highly emotionally driven opinions, don't care for?

No, it doesn't make our arguments wrong. A solid and reasonable counter argument can make it "wrong" - have any of those?

Tapey wrote:

That is simply subscribing to one social norm while these girls subscribe to another (or at least don't give that one enough weight to inform their decisions).

What I think Mellestad was saying is that just saying "I don't like it" may seem like an argument but it isn't. It is just voicing an opinion with no supporting evidence or reasoning whatsoever. Without actually providing some kind of REASON for the opinion it is completely meaningless but for the break from momentary silence.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: When you

mellestad wrote:

When you say, "What I think is no doubt irrational, but too bad" it makes me sad.  If you don't care in the slightest for basing your views on something rational, why are you here?  I know this site is mostly about atheism, but that you should be an atheist because you are rational, not rational because you are an atheist.

I see atheism and rationality as two separate things. Its very easy to be an irational atheist, most are.

It is impossible to base all my views on something rational. I simply don't know enough to do this. I have to do what most people do, go with my gut. We have intuition for a reason, to ignore it would be stupid.

I have no clue what effect dressing/acting provocitively has on the world. Let alone whether it is good or bad. I can have no rational opinion here.

All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Yada YadaAs

marcusfish wrote:
Yada Yada

As I said , not the belief that I hold.

Tapey wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

That is simply subscribing to one social norm while these girls subscribe to another (or at least don't give that one enough weight to inform their decisions).

What I think Mellestad was saying is that just saying "I don't like it" may seem like an argument but it isn't. It is just voicing an opinion with no supporting evidence or reasoning whatsoever. Without actually providing some kind of REASON for the opinion it is completely meaningless but for the break from momentary silence.

Would you tell me what evidence you would accept? I agree nothing that has been said is evidence, so what evidence do you want people to provide. There is not going to be any hard evidence on a topic like this.

All animals are equal.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Giving Up On Reason

Tapey wrote:
It is impossible to base all my views on something rational. I simply don't know enough to do this. I have to do what most people do, go with my gut. We have intuition for a reason, to ignore it would be stupid.

We have intuition for a reason and to ignore it out of hand would be foolish, I certainly agree with that. What people who hope to be reasonable and even rational would try to do is to recognize this lack of knowledge and treat the decision accordingly. Why would we treat a subject as if we understand it when we clearly don't?

Meaning, if I am against girls wearing skimpy clothes and promoting themselves as highly sexual creatures, even though I am not entirely sure why I feel that way, that's all well and good. If I decide I want to let my daughter in on this concern, that also makes sense. There are two different approaches to this kind of conversation though and I would classify one of them as rational and one of them as knee-jerk emotionality.

Rational - expressing to my daughter that I am against her wearing those sorts of clothes. I explain to her that I have a bad feeling about it but I cannot articulate why. As a reasonable adult I can either dig deeper and do some research and discovery about the nature of my feelings or I can respect her decision to disagree and let her wear them anyway. "Cuz I Said So" works really well if we are trying to breed more stupid people into the world.

Knee-Jerk - expressing to her that her wearing those sorts of clothes is wrong. They dehumanize and send the wrong message; leaving out the fact that I don't know how the behavior dehumanizes someone or what exactly makes it the "wrong message". I tell her she cannot wear the clothes and that is final, "Cuz I Said So". I send her out into the world in Puritanical attire and on her way to being yet another stupid person someone else has to deal with in traffic.

Tapey wrote:
I have no clue what effect dressing/acting provocatively has on the world. Let alone whether it is good or bad. I can have no rational opinion here.

Which is half the battle - but only half of it. If this is as far as it goes then we have simply admitted that we have more respect for emotional knee-jerk reactions than we do for actual knowledge and reason.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Of course,

Sandycane wrote:

Of course, if I were a 15 year old, I'd probably like them just as they are - but, I'm not... and my opinion is just as valid as that of a 15 year old... I think more so.  But, on the other hand, it doesn't matter what I think of them since people my age and gender are not part of their marketing strategy.

I really don't see myself buying any Pussycat Doll albums either, LOL. Just not my type of music.

To be honest, I had never really heard of the group until these threads had started up.

But, leaving sexuality out of it for a moment, I personally think cultural entertainment is really not built to last beyond a few years for the most part.

There are exceptions, like the Rolling Stones, and a few other entertainers that have decades of sold out shows and multi-million album sellers underneath their belts, but given the thousands and thousands of one hit wonders and bands that have come and gone, that seems rather rare.

I remember a line from an old Travis Tritt country song that said "When all them screaming metal bands have faded into rust, there'll still be a show on music row for the old outlaws like us,".

Now at the time, this was the 80's and my fellow metalheads and I were like " NO WAY MAN ! THIS MUSIC HERE IS GONNA LAST 4EVER, MAAANNNN !!!!".

There are one or two acts around from that decade that still are pretty big, but many, many more of them have gone the way of extinction.

I have a young nephew that actually has the nerve to call himself a fan of metal. He thinks that Rob Zombie and a bunch of weirdos called Disturbed make up heavy metal. Really makes me lose alot of hope for the younger generation, hehe. 

He's never owned a single album by Guns n'Roses or Metallica. He has never even heard of Suicidal Tendencies, Obituary, Slayer, Sepultura, Napalm Death, Testament or Accept. And he calls himself a heavy metal fan somehow.

When he comes to visit me, I tell him real quickly to keep all of that garbage he listens to on his i-pod headphones or else. Probably in the same manner that my late father  used to tell me to keep the headphones on or else.

But, my late father did admit to me one time, that his parents objected strongly to Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and all the other tunes that were deemed as "degenerate garbage" by his parents. (Older I get, the more I kinda believe that his generation had some better tunes than mine).

From Little Richard to Lady Gaga, it just seems to be the nature of the business.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Rational -

marcusfish wrote:

Rational - expressing to my daughter that I am against her wearing those sorts of clothes. I explain to her that I have a bad feeling about it but I cannot articulate why. As a reasonable adult I can either dig deeper and do some research and discovery about the nature of my feelings or I can respect her decision to disagree and let her wear them anyway. "Cuz I Said So" works really well if we are trying to breed more stupid people into the world.

Knee-Jerk - expressing to her that her wearing those sorts of clothes is wrong. They dehumanize and send the wrong message; leaving out the fact that I don't know how the behavior dehumanizes someone or what exactly makes it the "wrong message". I tell her she cannot wear the clothes and that is final, "Cuz I Said So". I send her out into the world in Puritanical attire and on her way to being yet another stupid person someone else has to deal with in traffic.

Taking a long and introspective look at all of my opinions and pre-conceived notions has proven to be one of the most valuable tools that I have ever had to free up my mind. Good point.

― Giordano Bruno

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Devil's Advocate

Tapey wrote:

marcusfish wrote:
Yada Yada

As I said , not the belief that I hold.

Right, but you did make the argument so you get the counter argument. If your intention is to play devil's advocate then play it - otherwise don't put it up there.  

Tapey wrote:
Would you tell me what evidence you would accept? I agree nothing that has been said is evidence, so what evidence do you want people to provide. There is not going to be any hard evidence on a topic like this.

Reasonable argument based on recent human history regarding the roles between men and women? How these roles have been super-sexed more so recently than in the past and how that is being displayed?

Evidenciary support in the form of percentage of women who wear trampy clothes are raped? How many develop drug problems or the like? How has their life expectancy or IQ been impacted? People do surveys all of the time on all manner of topics so if people are dead set on villifying revealing clothing then they should put in the effort to go get some support for the assertion.

We have many (most) conversations using only our deductive reasoning and bring in hard evidence to support our argument as we can. If the argument holds up under scrutiny then it is generally considered sound. This conversation is no different. 

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Evidenciary

marcusfish wrote:

Evidenciary support in the form of percentage of women who wear trampy clothes are raped? How many develop drug problems or the like? How has their life expectancy or IQ been impacted? People do surveys all of the time on all manner of topics so if people are dead set on villifying revealing clothing then they should put in the effort to go get some support for the assertion. 

Plus, you would need studies from cultures that do not seem to have the same types of stigmas that our own personal one does. Places like Japan and the Netherlands would be cases in point.

― Giordano Bruno

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Social Comparison

harleysportster wrote:

Places like Japan and the Netherlands would be cases in point.

Good call. I don't know much of anything about the Netherlands but comparing US sexual taboo against Japan is faaaaaaascinating. The things they are afraid of are so different from us on a fundamental level it is just amazing.

Also, I think narrowing down the assertion to a much more managable level is a primary task. Trying to get support for something being dehumanizing and "wrong" is going to be quite a task indeed. Making the argument more specific will probably be necessary to get anywhere in making it something to be legitimately considered.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Reasonable

marcusfish wrote:

Reasonable argument based on recent human history regarding the roles between men and women? How these roles have been super-sexed more so recently than in the past and how that is being displayed?

Thats not proof, that is me making noise because I have no proof.

marcusfish wrote:

We have many (most) conversations using only our deductive reasoning and bring in hard evidence to support our argument as we can. If the argument holds up under scrutiny then it is generally considered sound. This conversation is no different. 

Nothing here would be evidence. far to many variables involved.

All animals are equal.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Sandy, you

mellestad wrote:

Sandy, you totally missed my point.  I agree, if those points are valid I couldn't talk about girls dressing like 'skanks'.  That was my point, lol.

If you don't recognize the problem with relying on personal anecdotes to 'prove' a point, I'm at a loss about how to have rational discourse.

Sandy, you've ranted about this whole thread about how certain behaviors are bad, how these women are skanks and sluts and tramps (your words) but at no time have you made a single, actual argument for *why* these things are bad.  Not once.  There are plenty of good arguments against any lifestyle choice you'd care to name, but you're ignoring all of them.  If someone was on here and said, "This is OK because it makes my dick hard" I'd be asking them to back that up too.  I get that you have a hostile emotional reaction to the Pussycat dolls, up to the point of personally insulting them without any knowledge of their personal lives.  Why should I care?  How is what you're saying convincing?  Honestly, it makes me want to be contrary simply because you're lashing out in a way I don't like.

----------------

But it seems you've realized it is a generational thing and not a rational reaction.  Now it just remains to be seen what you do with this new-found awareness of self.

----------------

You are using the same tactics you attempted to use on me in the 'N' thread.. it didn't work there, it ain't gonna work here: False accusations

Show me the post where I said the girls in the PCD group are sluts, skanks, tramps or whores. Show me the post where I said dressing like any of the above is 'bad' or, 'wrong'.

YOU CAN'T because I didn't.

What I said was that they were ACTING like and DRESSING like sluts, skanks, etc....

What I said was, it is DANGEROUS to go to a bar dressed like that.

What I said to Cpt. was, if you feel that it is wrong, KEEP IT OUT OF YOUR LIFE.

What I am not going to do is be instructed by a bunch of hard-dick men, who enjoy porn, on what is appropriate dress for a girl/woman.

When I was a teen, I wore the midriff tops and the hip-hugger jeans...it was the style and that's what teens wore... same as it was 100 years ago and same as it is now ('style' that is... and notice that hip huggers and midriff tops are just as popular now as they were 40 years ago?) The 'older' generation didn't approve, just as they didn't 100 years ago and as they don't now. Nothing new. A 20-year old sees life through 20 year old eyes...as we grow older, we know better... or, hope to anyway.

PS: I think you've got the market cornered on ranting today.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Also, I

marcusfish wrote:

Also, I think narrowing down the assertion to a much more managable level is a primary task. Trying to get support for something being dehumanizing and "wrong" is going to be quite a task indeed. Making the argument more specific will probably be necessary to get anywhere in making it something to be legitimately considered.

True. For instance, I saw an article on yahoo about a concerned parent's group  fighting to have the MTV show "Skins" (never heard of it and do not know what it is about) off the air.

Apparently they do not like the content or sexuality.

However, come to find out, a much raunchier version of the show has been on in the UK for years and has never had a problem or complaint.

― Giordano Bruno

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:mellestad

Tapey wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I see atheism and rationality as two separate things. Its very easy to be an irational atheist, most are.

I have no clue what effect dressing/acting provocitively has on the world. Let alone whether it is good or bad. I can have no rational opinion here.

So, you are saying that since you can't know everything, you feel justified in holding whatever random belief occurs to you?  Really?

You've been presented with an opportunity to think about a particular topic, you obviously have the time free to spend, and you're using that time to hand-wave away the possibility of enlightenment.  :/

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mellestad

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:

----------------

----------------

You are using the same tactics you attempted to use on me in the 'N' thread.. it didn't work there, it ain't gonna work here: False accusations

Show me the post where I said the girls in the PCD group are sluts, skanks, tramps or whores. Show me the post where I said dressing like any of the above is 'bad' or, 'wrong'.

YOU CAN'T because I didn't.

What I said was that they were ACTING like and DRESSING like sluts, skanks, etc....

What I said was, it is DANGEROUS to go to a bar dressed like that.

What I said to Cpt. was, if you feel that it is wrong, KEEP IT OUT OF YOUR LIFE.

What I am not going to do is be instructed by a bunch of hard-dick men, who enjoy porn, on what is appropriate dress for a girl/woman.

When I was a teen, I wore the midriff tops and the hip-hugger jeans...it was the style and that's what teens wore... same as it was 100 years ago and same as it is now ('style' that is... and notice that hip huggers and midriff tops are just as popular now as they were 40 years ago?) The 'older' generation didn't approve, just as they didn't 100 years ago and as they don't now. Nothing new. A 20-year old sees life through 20 year old eyes...as we grow older, we know better... or, hope to anyway.

PS: I think you've got the market cornered on ranting today.

The same tactics to attempt to get you to think about why you feel the way you do instead of just saying you feel a certain way, and that settles it?  Yes.  Yes I am.

You are right though, you never technically called them sluts.  Point to you, although I think for the sake of this discussion it doesn't change much.  Your definition of those things is internal and you still need to justify those things as negative.

However, the rest of your post is the same naked assertion you've been using the whole time.  You say, "As we grow older, we know better" without even attempting to articulate anything else.  Logically, if what you said were true, the wisest way to live life would always be the way the last generation sees things, which would make the best way to live that of a cave-dweller.  This is what I mean...by following what you feel without thinking it through, you're just stuck in a circle defines by instinct and culture.

But it doesn't matter if you're going to ignore everything I say outside of what you can take a swipe at, then throw in an insult about 'hard-dicked men'.  No-one is calling you names, why are you insulting other people?

----------------------

You know what, let me try this.  I doubt it will matter because you seem to have your ear plugs happily in, but what the hell, right?

sandy wrote:

When I was a kid I was *disgusted* by homosexuality in any form.  Disgusting.  Freaks.  Sinful.  Pathetic.  Wrong.  Damned.  I felt those things and that informed my response to people with that lifestyle.

Now, using your 'system' I'd never leave that belief.  I'd have lived my whole life with that attitude.  No-one could have argued me out of it, because damnit, I know how I feel and how I feel is *right*!

Rationality and skepticism eventually led me to challenge my beliefs on a whole range of issues, that being one of them.  Now, I can't think of any reason to be against it, so guess what, I'm not.  I encourage those who follow that lifestyle to find happiness and more power to them.  As reason led, emotion gradually followed so now I'm emotionally fine with it as well.

The moral of this little story is that if you live your life based on how you feel, unable to articulate why those feelings represent the best course of action, you're just accepting yourself as a piece of driftwood, floating around on a little bit of intuition without any control over what you do.

Yea, it is a rant, but I think it is a good rant.  We're not the Atheist Response Squad, here to blindly lash out at religion.  When we do that, it is us at our worst.  At our best, we are the Rational Response Squad, and we're here because we accept a way of thinking that *leads* to atheism, and atheism is our main focus because it is one of the largest sources of irrational belief.  That way of thinking shouldn't start and stop at religion, it should be implemented everywhere we can manage and most especially it should be applied to our assumptions.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thinking Our Way Out of a Wet Paper Bag

mellestad wrote:
Yea, it is a rant, but I think it is a good rant.  We're not the Atheist Response Squad, here to blindly lash out at religion.  When we do that, it is us at our worst.  At our best, we are the Rational Response Squad, and we're here because we accept a way of thinking that *leads* to atheism, and atheism is our main focus because it is one of the largest sources of irrational belief.  That way of thinking shouldn't start and stop at religion, it should be implemented everywhere we can manage and most especially it should be applied to our assumptions.

Geesh man, you sure can put English on that ball.

Atheism is just rejecting one piece of irrationality; it is not a statement of our overall intellectual value. I see a good many atheists congratulating themselves on their final victory over simple-mindedness and I cringe. We still have all of the other knee-jerk social conditioning we came in with, unless we question and educate ourselves otherwise. Shrugging our shoulders and just accepting our behavioral and intellectual trappings is a tragic waste.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
In principle, it is not

In principle, it is not impossible for all of my views to be rational. When I don't know something, I say, "I don't know."

Are moral beliefs rational? That depends on how we define rational.

There is nothing objectively wrong with wearing skimpy clothing, even assuming the health of a society as a premise. We can dislike it, but if so, it helps immensely to recognize why we dislike it, in the sense that it will be much easier to reach sound conclusions when discussing ethics, especially if the only reason we can give is our culture and society.

Imho, Mel is not simply trying to be argumentative, but trying to make you guys understand something a little better.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/what_does_sugar_have_to_do_with_murder

mellestad wrote:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: So, you

mellestad wrote:

So, you are saying that since you can't know everything, you feel justified in holding whatever random belief occurs to you?  Really?

I am saying you cannot know everything. I never said I feel justified about anything. I have no clue where you are getting random belief from. Neither my belief nor how I arrived there are random. 

mellestad wrote:

You've been presented with an opportunity to think about a particular topic, you obviously have the time free to spend, and you're using that time to hand-wave away the possibility of enlightenment.  :/

No real interest in the topic, tbh.  I have looked nothing to be found.

All animals are equal.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just Accept Ignorance, It's Easier

Tapey wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I am saying you cannot know everything. I never said I feel justified about anything. I have no clue where you are getting random belief from. Neither my belief nor how I arrived there are random. 

Tapey wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Tapey wrote:
I have no clue what effect dressing/acting provocatively has on the world. Let alone whether it is good or bad. I can have no rational opinion here.

Tapey wrote:
There is not going to be any hard evidence on a topic like this.

Tapey wrote:
Thats not proof, that is me making noise because I have no proof.

Tapey wrote:
No real interest in the topic, tbh. 

Tapey, your input into this conversation has been steeped in your admitting that you don't have any information on the topic, that you find that perfectly reasonable, and that you give up. To make matters a bit more murky for me, you seem keenly interested in displaying this lack of knowledge and even interest.

Why are you on a thread in which you have absolutely no interest in discussing but are content to express opinions (which you don't even hold?) and that you have no idea how to defend? When presented ideas for how to defend your assertions you again seem to just give up and show that you are content to make baseless assertions.

This looks like hand waving away the possibility of enlightenment and presenting completely random beliefs.

Am I missing something?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Tapey, your

marcusfish wrote:

Tapey, your input into this conversation has been steeped in your admitting that you don't have any information on the topic, that you find that perfectly reasonable, and that you give up. To make matters a bit more murky for me, you seem keenly interested in displaying this lack of knowledge and even interest.

I find honesty is a good thing, it seems you don't appreciate it. Pity

marcusfish wrote:

Why are you on a thread in which you have absolutely no interest in discussing but are content to express opinions (which you don't even hold?) and that you have no idea how to defend? When presented ideas for how to defend your assertions you again seem to just give up and show that you are content to make baseless assertions.

This looks like hand waving away the possibility of enlightenment and presenting completely random beliefs.

Am I missing something?

I am here because im meant to be doing something else and im avoiding it.

I know how to defend that little it degrades women business, you won't like it though and will disagree with it. I see No reason to go through with that for something I don't believe. I have a question, how does someone come to a completely random belief? I mean do I just spin a bottle at letters? I still don't know what I am meant to be enlightened on. Why wearing revealing clothing isn't bad? I know why it isn't bad, I also know why I'm against it.

As for that evidence,

marcusfish wrote:

There are many factors that could be at fault rather than trampy clothes for being raped. Even if it was thats not reason to discourage wearing them. povocitive clothes/acting lead to drugs? there are far more likely suspects. Surveys good, public opinion is relevant to the truth, wait not really. I have no interest in villifying revealing clothing, hell I quite like them. I just think it should be kept to a minimum.

All animals are equal.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:   The

mellestad wrote:

The moral of this little story is that if you live your life based on how you feel, unable to articulate why those feelings represent the best course of action, you're just accepting yourself as a piece of driftwood, floating around on a little bit of intuition without any control over what you do.

Sehr Gut !

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Imho, Mel

butterbattle wrote:

Imho, Mel is not simply trying to be argumentative, but trying to make you guys understand something a little better.

I had not read that.  Shit, it always makes me feel so inadequate when I stumble over a Hamby post or read his blog.

Do you think if we killed him and ate his organs, we'd gain his power?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Capt does this make my butt look big?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:butterbattle

mellestad wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

I had not read that.  Shit, it always makes me feel so inadequate when I stumble over a Hamby post or read his blog.

Do you think if we killed him and ate his organs, we'd gain his power?

Hmmmm, only his brain, I think. But, we might as well eat his whole body just to be safe.

Edit: Btw, have you read any of DeludedGod's articles? Now, that's another brain I want to eat.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/third_revolution

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:I am here

Tapey wrote:

I am here because im meant to be doing something else and im avoiding it.

I know that feeling.

Quote:
I know how to defend that little it degrades women business, you won't like it though and will disagree with it. I see No reason to go through with that for something I don't believe. I have a question, how does someone come to a completely random belief? I mean do I just spin a bottle at letters? I still don't know what I am meant to be enlightened on. Why wearing revealing clothing isn't bad? I know why it isn't bad, I also know why I'm against it.

As for that evidence,

There are many factors that could be at fault rather than trampy clothes for being raped. Even if it was thats not reason to discourage wearing them. povocitive clothes/acting lead to drugs? there are far more likely suspects. Surveys good, public opinion is relevant to the truth, wait not really. I have no interest in villifying revealing clothing, hell I quite like them. I just think it should be kept to a minimum.

I  appreciate your honesty and I like your style...and I agree with your opinion. I don't need to know why or, how you came to have it.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:The same

mellestad wrote:

The same tactics to attempt to get you to think about why you feel the way you do instead of just saying you feel a certain way, and that settles it?  Yes.  Yes I am.

You are right though, you never technically called them sluts.  Point to you, although I think for the sake of this discussion it doesn't change much.  Your definition of those things is internal and you still need to justify those things as negative.

However, the rest of your post is the same naked assertion you've been using the whole time.  You say, "As we grow older, we know better" without even attempting to articulate anything else.  Logically, if what you said were true, the wisest way to live life would always be the way the last generation sees things, which would make the best way to live that of a cave-dweller.  This is what I mean...by following what you feel without thinking it through, you're just stuck in a circle defines by instinct and culture.

But it doesn't matter if you're going to ignore everything I say outside of what you can take a swipe at, then throw in an insult about 'hard-dicked men'.  No-one is calling you names, why are you insulting other people?

----------------------

You know what, let me try this.  I doubt it will matter because you seem to have your ear plugs happily in, but what the hell, right?

sandy wrote:

When I was a kid I was *disgusted* by homosexuality in any form.  Disgusting.  Freaks.  Sinful.  Pathetic.  Wrong.  Damned.  I felt those things and that informed my response to people with that lifestyle.

Now, using your 'system' I'd never leave that belief.  I'd have lived my whole life with that attitude.  No-one could have argued me out of it, because damnit, I know how I feel and how I feel is *right*!

Rationality and skepticism eventually led me to challenge my beliefs on a whole range of issues, that being one of them.  Now, I can't think of any reason to be against it, so guess what, I'm not.  I encourage those who follow that lifestyle to find happiness and more power to them.  As reason led, emotion gradually followed so now I'm emotionally fine with it as well.

Look here. Are you attempting to use me as a chalkboard for your lesson on morality, logic and rational arguments because ...? I don't know why, do you?

You've already admitted that I didn't say the PCD are sluts or, that dressing like a slut is bad or wrong, as you first accused me of doing.

Since I didn't, why would you insist on me explaining why I did?

You want me to explain why I didn't like the video? I already did.

You want me to explain why I said they looked like sluts? Okay. The clothes they are wearing and their behavior identifies them as such.

If you were to see a brawny man slinging a hammer and wearing boots and carpenter pants, you would say he looks like a carpenter. If you see a woman wearing scrubs with a stethoscope slung around her neck, you would say she looks like she's in the medical profession.

Get it? Good.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally, Sandy

Sandycane wrote:

You want me to explain why I said they looked like sluts? Okay. The clothes they are wearing and their behavior identifies them as such.

If you were to see a brawny man slinging a hammer and wearing boots and carpenter pants, you would say he looks like a carpenter. If you see a woman wearing scrubs with a stethoscope slung around her neck, you would say she looks like she's in the medical profession.

Get it? Good.

I prefer my sexually available women to be wearing dour police uniforms and no deoderant, but it's horses for courses, obviously.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I'm attempting to talk to

I'm attempting to talk to you (not use you!), because you have a tendency to give your opinion without being particularly interested in justifying said opinion. 

You're sending mixed messages even in this message though.  'I didn't call them sluts."  "I said they looked like sluts."  "Their clothes and behavior identify them as sluts."

If you want to claim that your language use had no moral connotation then that's fine, but honestly it seems pretty strange to me.  Personally, it would not occur to me to to say someone looked like a whore/skank/slut without any moral judgment.  Maybe you can do that, but to me it sounds like you are trying to justify what you wrote under some sort of technicality.  The discussion was about morality.

But I give up, I'm not going to spend more time figuring out creative ways to repeat myself.  Either you understand what I'm trying to say at this point or you don't, both in this and the Huck Finn thread.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I'm

mellestad wrote:

I'm attempting to talk to you (not use you!), because you have a tendency to give your opinion without being particularly interested in justifying said opinion. 

You're sending mixed messages even in this message though.  'I didn't call them sluts."  "I said they looked like sluts."  "Their clothes and behavior identify them as sluts."

If you want to claim that your language use had no moral connotation then that's fine, but honestly it seems pretty strange to me.  Personally, it would not occur to me to to say someone looked like a whore/skank/slut without any moral judgment.  Maybe you can do that, but to me it sounds like you are trying to justify what you wrote under some sort of technicality.  The discussion was about morality.

But I give up, I'm not going to spend more time figuring out creative ways to repeat myself.  Either you understand what I'm trying to say at this point or you don't, both in this and the Huck Finn thread.

Just because you are receiving mixed messages in your brain because you can't understand how I can say someone LOOKS like a slut and at the same time not think they actually ARE sluts is not my fault, is it?

Do you automatically morally judge someone who is dressed like a carpenter or a nurse? I don't.

Now, if you want to choose someone as a subject for discussion who actually IS a slut, I'm game.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Aside from being the correct term for a

young female dog, what actually is a 'slut' anyway? Didn't the sexual revolution short circuit this loaded, sexist term? What's a male slut? A young buck? Red blooded? A player? A sleaze?

I posit there is no reciprocal term for a man who likes to have sex with multiple partners. There's something about the word slut that has moral connotations. An implication overt girl sexuality is wrong.

Maybe less sexual, older or married women use the social control embedded in the word slut to stop randy younger women from monopolising/stealing all the available men. 

Ed: Clarity.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

young female dog, what actually is a 'slut' anyway? Didn't the sexual revolution short circuit this loaded, sexist term? What's a male slut? A young buck? Red blooded? A player? A sleaze?

My mother calls my dog a slut. She's a two year old Mountain Feist and when I take her with me to visit my mom, who has a male toy poodle, my dog likes to play. She teases him by rolling on her back, showing off her stuff, prancing around him sticking her butt in his face, sniffing his little pecker - basically throwing herself at him and in her cute little way saying, 'Look at this, come and get it!' ...and she would give it up if he were i nterested or, knew what to do with it.

That's a slut.

Quote:
I posit there is no reciprocal term for a man who likes to have sex with multiple partners. There's something about the word slut that has moral connotations. An implication overt girl sexuality is wrong.
Generally speaking, I'd say you are right... but, I also call men who behave that way 'slut', too.

Quote:
Maybe less sexual, older or married women use the social control embedded in the word slut to stop randy younger women from monopolising/stealing all the available men. 
That's silly. Calling a slut a slut has never actually stopped a slut from being a slut - I think it's safe to say. The term 'slut' is used by people of all ages and both genders. High school age girls probably use it more than anyone...and probably for a similar reason to the one you mentioned... to tarnish the reputation of the competition.

Personally, if I should feel that my man is thinking of leaving me for a slut, I'd help him pack his bags and be glad to be rid of him.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:why they

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

why they just use sex to get what they want?

cause doing so has a significant chance of success. It's especially useful for girls who don't have the faculty for any other means of persuasion (reasoning or some means of force), or when they are impatient for results, arousal is often the more immediate motivator available.

Cpt Pineapple wrote:

i hate it it make us object only for men not for us

I don't hate it, exactly. But I agree that we are getting overly sexualised in our culture lately and can't wait for the penny to drop just how unimaginative and cliche it is to bare for boons these days.

Cpt Pineapple wrote:

watch this

they just parade around to please men and get money

I agree with your sentiment, it's pathetic basically because everyone is doing it. Lemming culture makes me nauseous with apathy.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think social isolation is a powerful weapon

Sandycane wrote:

That's silly. Calling a slut a slut has never actually stopped a slut from being a slut - I think it's safe to say. The term 'slut' is used by people of all ages and both genders. High school age girls probably use it more than anyone...and probably for a similar reason to the one you mentioned... to tarnish the reputation of the competition.

Personally, if I should feel that my man is thinking of leaving me for a slut, I'd help him pack his bags and be glad to be rid of him.

As I've mentioned before elsewhere, I have an old farmhouse in the country and when there I drink at the local pub. Have done for nearly ten years. Recently an attractive city woman bought property nearby. She's a smart and well off single mother. Being a sociable creature she attended the local pub which is very friendly and as a woman who works in a predominantly male industry (and given the absence of women her age) she befriended all the men, men being easy to get to know and happy to talk to an attractive and friendly woman. Needless to say, the local girls, who in this case are in their early 20s, were outraged by this assault on 'their' men and a couple of the alpha girls conspired to say loudly and openly in hearing of 30 or so people that this woman was: "Nothing but a f**kin' slut."

After this, our new friend stopped coming to the hotel completely and when she did return months later, it was with an obvious attempt to placate these other women, to avoid the men and to try to prove she was not a slut at all. In this business she enlisted the assistance of the older women, bringing her young daughter and after befriending them they began to speak for her. Needless to say, she had not actually slept with any of the men at all. And very interestingly, the guys all knew what was happening and discussed the silliness of it freely among themselves while agreeing the newcomer was a bit of alright and that given the opportunity they 'would'. So - the threat was real and the tactic of calling into question the threatening woman's morality worked perfectly.

And yeah, like you I'm the monogamous type. Always have been and always will be.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: As

Atheistextremist wrote:

As I've mentioned before elsewhere, I have an old farmhouse in the country and when there I drink at the local pub. Have done for nearly ten years. Recently an attractive city woman bought property nearby. She's a smart and well off single mother. Being a sociable creature she attended the local pub which is very friendly and as a woman who works in a predominantly male industry (and given the absence of women her age) she befriended all the men, men being easy to get to know and happy to talk to an attractive and friendly woman. Needless to say, the local girls, who in this case are in their early 20s, were outraged by this assault on 'their' men and a couple of the alpha girls conspired to say loudly and openly in hearing of 30 or so people that this woman was: "Nothing but a f**kin' slut."

After this, our new friend stopped coming to the hotel completely and when she did return months later, it was with an obvious attempt to placate these other women, to avoid the men and to try to prove she was not a slut at all. In this business she enlisted the assistance of the older women, bringing her young daughter and after befriending them they began to speak for her. Needless to say, she had not actually slept with any of the men at all. And very interestingly, the guys all knew what was happening and discussed the silliness of it freely among themselves while agreeing the newcomer was a bit of alright and that given the opportunity they 'would'. So - the threat was real and the tactic of calling into question the threatening woman's morality worked perfectly.

And yeah, like you I'm the monogamous type. Always have been and always will be.

LOL, You could have been talking about me in that first paragraph... story of my life - always hit it off with 'the guys' and much preferred their company to that of a gaggle of catty women.

Second paragraph: Definitely NOT me.... well, not in the past anyway. I would have said fuck off to the girls and kept my male friends. Now, at 54, things are much different. Now, I look at women as allies and (most) men as aliens.