harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alabama Governor says Just Christians

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians

New Alabama Governor says Just Christians are his family

by Jay Reeves.

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christt as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News .

The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.

"His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor," said Bill Nigut, the ADL's regional director.

Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church after the official inaugural ceremony, Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters regardless of color, but anyone who isn't a Christian doesn't have that same relationship to him.

"If the Holy Spirit  lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.

After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.

Responding to questions about it, Bentley's office released a statement Tuesday saying he believes "he is the governor of all of Alabama."

"The governor clearly stated that he will be the governor of all Alabamians — Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor. As stated in his (inaugural) address, Gov. Bentley believes his job is to make everyone's lives better," the statement said.

Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, told The Birmingham News he wasn't sure how Bentley's remarks were intended.

"Does it mean that those who according to him are not saved are less important than those who are saved?" Taufique said. "Does he want those of us who do not belong to the Christian Faith to adopt his faith? That should be toned down. That's not what we need. If he means that, I hope he changes it. We don't want evangelical politicians. They can be whatever in their private life."

The official with the Anti-Defamation League, which fights discrimination against Jewish people, said it sounded like Bentley was using the office of governor to advocate for Christian conversion.

"If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion," Nigut said.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have an idea. Let's not

I have an idea. Let's not tell him what we are, he'll have to figure it for himself. It's up to him how good he is at seeing into people's heads looking for Jesus inside.
And by the way, Jesus hung out with many people in pubs without asking them first to kiss his ass. The "I am the truth, the path and life" sentence was probably meant as "I AM", the encouragement for everyone to find their true inner self. The stuff about infernal flames is probably later addition.

I have another idea. Let's show him the biggest dorks who ever accepted Jesus into their heart. Starting with good Catholic Adolf.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Yuck. 

Yuck.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Seems like a good

Seems like a good opportunity to finally find out what being a christian's "brother" or "sister" actually means.

If it actually comes with perks, he's got a problem.

And if it doesn't mean anything at all, well....

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
It just goes to show how

It just goes to show how delusional theists actually are....

They have a delusional belief, and they're even more delusional by thinking that people who don't share in their delusion, are inferior to them.

How completely fvcked are these people?

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

connerman
atheist
connerman's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't want to be his

I didn't want to be his brother anyway. Nyah, nyah, nyah.

Seriously, though. If the Premier (same thing as Governor) of my home Province of Ontario, Canada said something like this he/she would be impeached immediatly.

Understanding that there is no purpose in the Universe frees us all to find one.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, he is partially right.

Well, he is partially right. People outside his biological family are not his brothers or sisters.

But he certainly is one class A fuckwad bigot.

It is people like this and their scorched earth tribalism that divides humanity.

None of us are family outside our family, but we only have one planet to live on. All this moron is doing is the same gang cheerleader club mentality other religions and even political states suffer from.

It is also assholes like this who are the reason I cannot have a relationship with my own REAL brother.

"My club is the only one that should be important to the world"

If anyone reading this doesn't understand why I challenge all god belief, (NOT SOMEONES HUMAN RIGHTS) but the words that come out of their mouths, this is why.

Guys like this are why theocracies exist. "My way or the highway" is why Hitler and Stalin rose to power. The only difference between any club mentality is who the majority are.

I hate to clue this fuckwad on reality, but there are nearly 7 billion people with biological "brothers and sisters" AND think focusing on that fact instead of your petty cheer leading, would do far more good for humanity.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians

New Alabama Governor says Just Christians are his family

by Jay Reeves. 

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christt as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News .

The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.

"His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor," said Bill Nigut, the ADL's regional director.

ADL... Sometimes I wonder... Would it have been any different if a Jew had said such things? Or how about an atheist concerning fellow atheists?

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Tadgh
atheist
Tadgh's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:ADL...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

ADL... Sometimes I wonder... Would it have been any different if a Jew had said such things? Or how about an atheist concerning fellow atheists?

If he/she were a state governor, then no, I don't suppose it would have made a difference.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Read between the lines,

Read between the lines, people.  He, not unlike Roy Moore, is moaning the loss of influence religion has on the common masses. Specifically, protestantism. 30 years ago, the tone of his proclamation wouldn't even have made sense...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Read between

Kapkao wrote:

Read between the lines, people.  He, not unlike Roy Moore, is moaning the loss of influence religion has on the common masses. Specifically, protestantism. 30 years ago, the tone of his proclamation wouldn't even have made sense...

Isn't this guy your state governor?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait... an Alabama

Wait... an Alabama politician doesnt count us as family?

Does that mean hes not gonna fuck us all, over?

(its funny, because i allude to incest   herherher)

What Would Kharn Do?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Isn't this guy your

cj wrote:

Indeed he is... and another twat boohooing  how people aren't as interested what the invisible man in the sky is saying. (Although they are plonking bobblehead messiahs on their dashboards, which is almost just as bad.)

TDS you crazy tubgirl wannabe go back to playing Warhammer, dammit!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:cj wrote:Isn't

Kapkao wrote:

cj wrote:

Indeed he is... and another twat boohooing  how people aren't as interested what the invisible man in the sky is saying. (Although they are plonking bobblehead messiahs on their dashboards, which is almost just as bad.)

TDS you crazy tubgirl wannabe go back to playing Warhammer, dammit!

Hey, don't feel too bad, for 8 years our entire country had Bush. At least this moron will never be president.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Hey, don't

Brian37 wrote:

Hey, don't feel too bad, for 8 years our entire country had Bush. At least this moron will never be president.

Wait... Me or Him? o_O

What Would Kharn Do?