Now we know more about people believing in UFOs.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now we know more about people believing in UFOs.

Well said Dr. Raison!

"Possible signs of psychosis can include keeping to oneself, avoiding social interaction, having odd interests and beliefs -- for example, in UFOs or reading the future, and other displays of losing touch with reality, said Dr. Charles Raison, psychiatrist at Emory University."

This is from http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/14/mental.health.loughner/index.html?hpt=C1

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why do I feel a finger

Why do I feel a finger pointing to me? Nope, I was already born like that Sticking out tongue

Being locked up 9 months in a tiny prison cell does terrible things with your mind, I was hardly able to speak or move when I got out of there.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Why do I feel

Luminon wrote:

Why do I feel a finger pointing to me? Nope, I was already born like that Sticking out tongue

Being locked up 9 months in a tiny prison cell does terrible things with your mind, I was hardly able to speak or move when I got out of there.

Sorry, I did not mean anyone specifically.  By the way, do you believe in UFOs?  I am not completely agree with this psychiatrist.  I think that we actually need people believing in UFO and predicting the future for the sanity of all other people who can compare various activities offered to them by this complex universe.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

Sorry, I did not mean anyone specifically.  By the way, do you believe in UFOs?  I am not completely agree with this psychiatrist.  I think that we actually need people believing in UFO and predicting the future for the sanity of all other people who can compare various activities offered to them by this complex universe.

I was just kidding, but yes, I think I saw objects on the sky a couple of times that could not possibly have man-made or natural origins. And so did all my friends and most of people I ever asked. No, and these weren't chinese lanterns. And it's not such a mystery where they might be from or what they want.

Someone said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. But which claims are extraordinary, that is purely subjective to the culture or historical period. 

To me it looks like the psychiatrist may have mistaken cause for result, insanity leads to weird beliefs, or weird beliefs lead to insanity? I think that deciding elements should be paranoia, depression, obsession, lack of empathy, sudden changes of mood, compulsive lying, and so on. That is clearly pathologic behavior regardless of the person's interests. The interests may be so exotic, belonging rather to some past or future culture where they would be popular, so they are not a good indicator of insanity.

There is an objective and subjective side of life, and both can get you crazy. Crazy, ignorant or lying, to be precise. I know people with occult interests who are sometimes crazy, very often ignorant and some are also deliberately lying. But so it is in any other area, occult or not.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: I was just

Luminon wrote:

I was just kidding, but yes, I think I saw objects on the sky a couple of times that could not possibly have man-made or natural origins. 

You must be kidding here again!

How do you know the objects could not have natural origins??? wtf?