World of Warcraft fans

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
World of Warcraft fans

Hey, can anyone lend a hand?  I am researching World of Warcraft and if you have played it, are playing it, could you give me some information.  A few sentences - strategy, likes, dislikes, why you started, why you quit, why you still play.  That sort of stuff.

It is for a class assignment.  No names or identifying characteristics will be used.  Thanks.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I liked the art style.

I liked the art style.  Sometimes I disliked the general immaturity of the players but sometimes I participated.  I think the general concept is an addictive time vampire.  I stopped playing because it is repetitive and boring.

My wife likes it though, and I start again every so often to spend some, 'quality' time with her.

----------------

Glad to help cj.  How are classes?  I'm taking psych right now.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Glad to help

mellestad wrote:

Thanks - this is for speech class.  Give an informative speech on a culture you do not belong to, must do some research.  Sigh.

I'm feeling a little under water in the discrete structures, logic and computability class.  It has been a long time since my last calculus class.  And so I find myself looking up stuff - oh, yeah, now I remember - and on to the next dive into the past.

The speech class is okay, I have done lots of public speaking before.  But it is aimed at 20 year olds and is rather boring.  Same for the C++ class.  No, I don't know C or C++.  But all I need is some syntax, I don't need to do truth tables yet again. 

So - some good, some boring, some holy shit!  Usual mix.

Which psych?  I've taken 101-102.  Which was mostly basic brain physiology.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I hope you find some classes

I hope you find some classes that are enlightening.  Or if nothing else, I hope you can share some insight with the wipper-snappers.  It must be interesting though; even at 26 I'm in the top 5% of all my classes, age wise.

Intro to Psych.  I take classes one at a time and I can't ever keep a single goal in mind long enough to advance very far...I get bored (The pattern of my life, heh).  I took a bunch of political science stuff before I decided the whole thing is largely pseudo science that teaches people to be pundits.  There are too many variables to make meaninful statements without a gigantic amount of research and most of the 'real' stuff was more history or psychology and sociology than anything else.   I'm sure some of it is fine but I don't need to wade through miles of bullshit to find a pearl that won't ever do anyone any good and puts most people to sleep.

So now we'll see how far I get in psychology.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: I took a

mellestad wrote:

I took a bunch of political science stuff before I decided the whole thing is largely pseudo science that teaches people to be pundits.  There are too many variables to make meaninful statements without a gigantic amount of research and most of the 'real' stuff was more history or psychology and sociology than anything else. 

I must agree I've found Political science to mainly be a history class. Sure during first year we did some general basics like realism, liberalism and all the other ism's but since then its just been a history class.

mellestad wrote:

I'm sure some of it is fine but I don't need to wade through miles of bullshit to find a pearl that won't ever do anyone any good and puts most people to sleep.

I don't know If you are aware but this applies to almost everything in life.

If I were to recommend a class it would have to be any of the various philosophy's. You can make stuff up and still get an A. I cannot ask for anything more than that.

As for WOW.I've played it a bit. It's repetitive boring and a huge time sink. It'[s also strangely addictive. The people are normally idiots and not worth talking to. All the quests are variations on the same concepts. The fetch quest being the most popular from what I could see.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:As for WOW.I've

Tapey wrote:

As for WOW.I've played it a bit. It's repetitive boring and a huge time sink. It'[s also strangely addictive. The people are normally idiots and not worth talking to. All the quests are variations on the same concepts. The fetch quest being the most popular from what I could see.

Thanks, Tapey.  My plan is to go play a little this weekend to form my own opinion as well as.  I wonder if ratdog can tear himself away long enough to comment on the idiots playing. 

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Tapey wrote:As for

cj wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Thanks, Tapey.  My plan is to go play a little this weekend to form my own opinion as well as.  I wonder if ratdog can tear himself away long enough to comment on the idiots playing. 

Fair warning, you won't have an apriciation of what WOW is about if you just play for a couple hours. At first it is deceptively nice and fun.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:cj wrote:Tapey

Tapey wrote:

cj wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Fair warning, you won't have an apriciation of what WOW is about if you just play for a couple hours. At first it is deceptively nice and fun.

Ah, okay.  Thanks.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The problem with people

The problem with people playing it, is that they hardly ever show up anywhere else anymore :

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/28369

Basically, it's like crack dipped in chocolate.

http://www.newsarama.com/games/journey-into-azeroth-1-110108.html

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:The problem

Anonymouse wrote:

The problem with people playing it, is that they hardly ever show up anywhere else anymore :

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/28369

Basically, it's like crack dipped in chocolate.

http://www.newsarama.com/games/journey-into-azeroth-1-110108.html

Yeah, I saw RatDog's post and was hoping he would show up just long enough to tell me the appeal.  He could pm me. (hint)

And thanks for the other article.  I'll look for her article next week. 

Have you played at all?  My grandson gave me a quick run down on his experiences.  He thought some of it was clever but he wasn't all that impressed.  But then, he wants to grow up to be a game programmer.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:mellestad

cj wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Thanks - this is for speech class.  Give an informative speech on a culture you do not belong to, must do some research.  Sigh.

Sad

I had secretly hoped that this was some kind of professional research you were doing for a private company, cuz at least then you would be employed.

At that, my experiences with MMORPGs are no different than Tapey's.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Have you played at

cj wrote:

Have you played at all?  My grandson gave me a quick run down on his experiences.  He thought some of it was clever but he wasn't all that impressed.  But then, he wants to grow up to be a game programmer.

I keep planning to give it a go, but then I see stuff like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1yYKdTdGdY&feature=related

(Recent BBC thing on gaming addiction in general, but the WOW-cases in there are just scary)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:cj wrote:Thanks

Kapkao wrote:

cj wrote:

Sad

I had secretly hoped that this was some kind of professional research you were doing for a private company, cuz at least then you would be employed.

At that, my experiences with MMORPGs are no different than Tapey's.

Well, employed would be good.  This is a way to get some income - student loans are not wonderful, but they will help keep us housed and warm.  I also have plans to get a student job - pay will suck but it is something.  And people who are already employed have a better chance of getting a job - makes no sense to me, either. 

I was tired of being insane - doing the same stuff over and over (submit resume, get interview, be obviously no more than second best) expecting a different outcome.  At least this is different and maybe I won't go brain dead.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:cj

Anonymouse wrote:

cj wrote:

I keep planning to give it a go, but then I see stuff like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1yYKdTdGdY&feature=related

(Recent BBC thing on gaming addiction in general, but the WOW-cases in there are just scary)

Thanks for the link.  I'll watch the entire thing today.  I have to watch my online lecture for beginning C++ as well.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
You should learn a scripting

You should learn a scripting language like PHP or Perl. You can learn those things relatively fast and make money freelancing while you're in school. Not that you shouldn't learn C++. It takes longer and people like you to have experience though. 

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:You should

Gauche wrote:

You should learn a scripting language like PHP or Perl. You can learn those things relatively fast and make money freelancing while you're in school. Not that you shouldn't learn C++. It takes longer and people like you to have experience though. 

That is probably a good idea - but to pass the class, the programs have to be written in C++.