Greetings From a Godless Wolf

Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
Posts: 45
Joined: 2011-01-08
User is offlineOffline
Greetings From a Godless Wolf

Good evening everyone. I am new to RRS, but been a long time fan and excited for this chance to contribute. I did not take part in the Blasphemy Challenge, but do not worry. I will see you all in hell anyway

About me: I was "born again" at age seven, raised in a christian family and attended bible camp (which thankfully was not as horrible as Jesus Camp). I became an atheist around age 18. After many years of bible reading and re-thinking my beliefs, I came to the conclusion that there is no god. I am very open about my atheism and love debates. I am currently a college student trying to finish my degree in history.

I call myself a wolf for several reasons. It has been my longest nickname, I am part Native American who believed the wolf was the wisest teacher of all the animals and escaped from greed and ignorance. The wolf is often misunderstood by most people, just like atheists. And the theists fear me, when all their claims have been utterly refuted their last line of defense is to label me as evil. Feredir was a nickname for a wolf companion in my first D&D game, a satanic game considered by some christians.

I guess I am what you call a Jesus Mythicist. I am a history major, and after nearly five years of demanding proof for jesus of Nazareth, not once has anyone brought anything forward (a huge disappointment). Since I often attack the historicity of jesus, the lamb of god, it only further makes theists label me as a wolf.

I am an activist, mostly regarding the evil cult of Scientology (please visit Xenu.net). I also went to UCLA to confront Ray Comfort distributing the Origin of Species with his scribbled bullshit in it. I wish to be more active against religion and pseudoscience. If there was a job offering such an active position, I would like nothing more than to be a part of it. If it does exist, please contact me and let me know ASAP.

I am not sure if we should go on to share more than our views beyond religion and such, but I will share my thoughts if asked. A little bit more about me; I am all for equality; like Sam Harris, I am against of the failed Drug War; I am concerned with how America eats (please watch FoodInc.); and I urge people to stop watching Fox News (which is not even news) spewing their bogus political propaganda.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I look forward to  following the forums and meeting you all.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3706
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Thunderios
atheist
Posts: 261
Joined: 2010-12-26
User is offlineOffline
Feredir28 wrote:Feredir was

Feredir28 wrote:
Feredir was a nickname for a wolf companion in my first D&D game, a satanic game considered by some christians.

lol, the first time I misread it as D&D being a satanic game, and some christians considering playing it Laughing out loud

Welcome to the forums, I think a historian (is that the proper term?) is really good to have around in debates considering Christianity.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5098
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Greetings, Wolf.

 

Pleased to meet you. Had similar evangelical upbringing to you and while I pulled away at a similar age to you, it took me longer to get my ducks in a row. Jesus mythicist, too. Tho' there are plenty of clever folks here who argue for an historical/composite jesus.

Given Paul's teachings which were based on a spirit god son and seem to me to encapsulate the cult, I think jesus never walked the earth. Anyway, have fun here. I know I certainly do.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4481
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome to the forum, I

 Welcome to the forum,

 

I like wolves, as long as they don't try to eat my Caribou. I like my lamb to be rare with a little charring on the outside, how do you like yours?

 

We often go beyond religion here, feel free to jump in anytime. Equality? A lot of different definitions of that. I too am against the drug war but I don't care what America eats. Generally I support the freedom of stupid people to kill themselves if they choose. 

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3310
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here as much as I do.

You sound well versed on your subjects.I ntelligent opinions and feedback are always welcome.

Have fun !

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
Posts: 45
Joined: 2011-01-08
User is offlineOffline
How I like my lamb...

Thank you, nice to meet you mate.

Wolves are fascinating creatures. I forgot to mention in my greetings that wolves are considered the most loyal of all animals.

I love lamb, especially on St. Patty's Day. I love mine rare and juicy, but charring on the outside, yum.

 

Sweet. Yeah it does have different definitions, but I kinda used it in a broad sense, such as equal rights, equality of opportunity, equality of outcome, etc. Yeah, I think the Drug War failed the moment it started. Maybe I will start a forum of that if one does not exist already. Sure, the stupid could kill themselves off if they wish, but sometimes the not so stupid are affected. Such as a perfectly healthy child who dies of e. coli in ground beef in just 12 days. Most people do not know what is in the food they eat or how it was produced, they are not stupid they are just ignorant. I am sure we would both agree America has a huge healthy problem, such as obesity, children diabetes, heart attacks/poor health is the second leading cause of death in this country, etc.

I am for taxing the churches, especially Scientology which should have never been given tax exempt status. I read an article once that said if the churches were taxed, a majority of them would be shut down, which is fine by me, however I would like a strong separation of church and state more than anything. I think given the time and the spread of knowledge, church attendance will drop significantly that the churches will eventually die off.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
 Hi and welcome. I assure

 Hi and welcome. I assure you that Jean Chauvin won't be afraid of you. He will aggrivate the crap outta you tho.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
Posts: 45
Joined: 2011-01-08
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

 Hi and welcome. I assure you that Jean Chauvin won't be afraid of you. He will aggrivate the crap outta you tho.

Thanks, and I will keep my eyes open and a cool head, but I am not the type to get frustrated (just annoyed, but I like being in the thick of the action).


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3310
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Feredir28

Feredir28 wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

 Hi and welcome. I assure you that Jean Chauvin won't be afraid of you. He will aggrivate the crap outta you tho.

Thanks, and I will keep my eyes open and a cool head, but I am not the type to get frustrated (just annoyed, but I like being in the thick of the action).

LOL.

Feredir28, here is a couple of good examples of what she is talking about (although I have to admit, it is hysterically funny to me) :

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/27481

and this one :

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/27486

Good for laughs. Enjoy !

 

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
 welcome to the forum, I

 welcome to the forum, I grew up in a Greek Orthodox house hold so lamb was pretty much a staple in our diet.

I remember an episode of "Fear Factor" where the contestants were challenged to eat a boiled lamb's head, my mouth was watering and memories of picking the brain from the lamb's split head at easter were flooding in.  What better way to celebrate the resurrection of our saviour then to slaughter baby sheep.  mmmm baby sheep, yummm.  

You'll find your views on rationality mirrored on this forum and I'm also a devout believer of taxing the churches right out of existence. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: welcome to the

Ktulu wrote:

 welcome to the forum, I grew up in a Greek Orthodox house hold so lamb was pretty much a staple in our diet.

I remember an episode of "Fear Factor" where the contestants were challenged to eat a boiled lamb's head, my mouth was watering and memories of picking the brain from the lamb's split head at easter were flooding in.  What better way to celebrate the resurrection of our saviour then to slaughter baby sheep.  mmmm baby sheep, yummm.  

You'll find your views on rationality mirrored on this forum and I'm also a devout believer of taxing the churches right out of existence. 

 

ugh!

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

 welcome to the forum, I grew up in a Greek Orthodox house hold so lamb was pretty much a staple in our diet.

I remember an episode of "Fear Factor" where the contestants were challenged to eat a boiled lamb's head, my mouth was watering and memories of picking the brain from the lamb's split head at easter were flooding in.  What better way to celebrate the resurrection of our saviour then to slaughter baby sheep.  mmmm baby sheep, yummm.  

You'll find your views on rationality mirrored on this forum and I'm also a devout believer of taxing the churches right out of existence. 

 

ugh!

 

Don't knock it till you try it Smiling hehe it's actually really tasty.  The eyes especially, they were specifically saving the head for the kids because it was considered a delicacy.  All this talk has made me hungry, if only we had some baby sheep frolicking about... damn western civilization with it's Ipods and computers, it's ruining the basics. hehe

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu

Ktulu wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

 welcome to the forum, I grew up in a Greek Orthodox house hold so lamb was pretty much a staple in our diet.

I remember an episode of "Fear Factor" where the contestants were challenged to eat a boiled lamb's head, my mouth was watering and memories of picking the brain from the lamb's split head at easter were flooding in.  What better way to celebrate the resurrection of our saviour then to slaughter baby sheep.  mmmm baby sheep, yummm.  

You'll find your views on rationality mirrored on this forum and I'm also a devout believer of taxing the churches right out of existence. 

 

ugh!

 

Don't knock it till you try it Smiling hehe it's actually really tasty.  The eyes especially, they were specifically saving the head for the kids because it was considered a delicacy.  All this talk has made me hungry, if only we had some baby sheep frolicking about... damn western civilization with it's Ipods and computers, it's ruining the basics. hehe

 

Poor wittle sheepSad I can't eat things with a cute face lol.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4481
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Feredir28 wrote:Such as a

Feredir28 wrote:

Such as a perfectly healthy child who dies of e. coli in ground beef in just 12 days. Most people do not know what is in the food they eat or how it was produced, they are not stupid they are just ignorant. I am sure we would both agree America has a huge healthy problem, such as obesity, children diabetes, heart attacks/poor health is the second leading cause of death in this country, etc.

Ecoli or any other food borne illness is one thing. Obesity is your own fault. It is great to live in a country where we can bitch about obesity being a leading cause of death when so much of the world is wondering where their next meal will come from. I'm kind of cold hearted that way.

 

 

@Ktulu- I'm not sure where exactly you live, but if you are in driving distance of farm country you can probably have a farmer raise some lambs for you. I recently purchased one for $1.70/LB live weight, then slaughtered and butchered it myself. Not quite the spring lamb you are talking about, those should be ready in April or May I believe. If you can track down a farmer who has some and you are willing to get your hands a little dirty you should be able to get one pretty cheap.   

 

 

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Ecoli or

Beyond Saving wrote:

Ecoli or any other food borne illness is one thing. Obesity is your own fault. It is great to live in a country where we can bitch about obesity being a leading cause of death when so much of the world is wondering where their next meal will come from. I'm kind of cold hearted that way.

 

 

@Ktulu- I'm not sure where exactly you live, but if you are in driving distance of farm country you can probably have a farmer raise some lambs for you. I recently purchased one for $1.70/LB live weight, then slaughtered and butchered it myself. Not quite the spring lamb you are talking about, those should be ready in April or May I believe. If you can track down a farmer who has some and you are willing to get your hands a little dirty you should be able to get one pretty cheap.   

 

Alas my wife is pure product of the western culture, she would not hear of it.  I agree with you on the obesity thing, people need to put the blame where it belongs.  They say obesity epidemic I hear gluttonous bastards with no self control.  There's nothing wrong with being big (aside from the health thing) as long as you're honest with yourself.  I think Pen and Teller had a show on fast food that addressed this issue, it was really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8av4unUxeE

it touches on all the stuff you mentioned. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2011-01-06
User is offlineOffline
Feredir28 wrote:I am an

Feredir28 wrote:

I am an activist, mostly regarding the evil cult of Scientology (please visit Xenu.net). I also went to UCLA to confront Ray Comfort distributing the Origin of Species with his scribbled bullshit in it. I wish to be more active against religion and pseudoscience. If there was a job offering such an active position, I would like nothing more than to be a part of it. If it does exist, please contact me and let me know ASAP.

Hi and welcome - I'm also new here and really enjoying the various posts and getting an idea of the people in the group. I am becoming more  outspoken: my first foray into the world of activism is to attend the 10:23 homeopathy event in Cape Town: if you have this event in your area please participate. 

Also, if you want really great lamb you'll need to visit South Africa: we have Karoo sheep that free graze on natural finebush/herbs - a different approach to put the seasoning in the meat before cooking it Smiling YUM!

What Would Jesus Drive? Well, God preferred an old Plymouth, "God drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden in a Fury"; Moses was said to ride a motor bike, "the roar of Moses’ Triumph is heard in the hills", while the apostles would carpool in a Honda, "the apostles were in one Accord".


roseweeed
Superfan
roseweeed's picture
Posts: 46
Joined: 2011-01-02
User is offlineOffline
 Hi, Wolf.  I'm also

 Hi, Wolf.  I'm also pretty new here, and like you I grew up in a christian family and declared my atheism at age 18.  Unlike you, though, I'm 63.  Well, it does happen, as you will find out -- time passes by while you scratch your head and say "where'd it all go?"  That sweet little girl I'm holding is my granddaughter.  

Welcome aboard!

roseweed

_______________________________________________

Everything that happens, happens somehow.


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4481
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Alas my wife is

Ktulu wrote:

Alas my wife is pure product of the western culture, she would not hear of it.  I agree with you on the obesity thing, people need to put the blame where it belongs.  They say obesity epidemic I hear gluttonous bastards with no self control.  There's nothing wrong with being big (aside from the health thing) as long as you're honest with yourself.  I think Pen and Teller had a show on fast food that addressed this issue, it was really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8av4unUxeE

it touches on all the stuff you mentioned. 

Ah Americans, just don't understand that the cuteness of an animal is directly correlated with its tastiness. Personally, I think it is really sad that Americans have lost touch with where their food comes from. They get everything preprocessed, ground and deep fried from the worst cuts of meat and then wonder why they get fat. 

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson


Gawdzilla
atheist
Posts: 69
Joined: 2011-01-01
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! If you get the

Welcome! If you get the chance, come visit the Endangered Wolf Center. I volunteer there and get to hear our friends howling several times a week. It's an awesome sound!


Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
Posts: 45
Joined: 2011-01-08
User is offlineOffline
roseweeed wrote: Hi, Wolf.

roseweeed wrote:

 Hi, Wolf.  I'm also pretty new here, and like you I grew up in a christian family and declared my atheism at age 18.  Unlike you, though, I'm 63.  Well, it does happen, as you will find out -- time passes by while you scratch your head and say "where'd it all go?"  That sweet little girl I'm holding is my granddaughter.  

Welcome aboard!

Hi, nice to meet you. I hope to chat more with you and everyone else.

Your granddaughter is adorable.


Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
Posts: 45
Joined: 2011-01-08
User is offlineOffline
reply to AtheistSam

AtheistSam wrote:

Hi and welcome - I'm also new here and really enjoying the various posts and getting an idea of the people in the group. I am becoming more  outspoken: my first foray into the world of activism is to attend the 10:23 homeopathy event in Cape Town: if you have this event in your area please participate. 

Also, if you want really great lamb you'll need to visit South Africa: we have Karoo sheep that free graze on natural finebush/herbs - a different approach to put the seasoning in the meat before cooking it Smiling YUM!

Homeopathy, perfect. I should bring a bottle of Calms Forte to demonstrate what bullshit it is. For those of you who dont know, Calms Forte are sleeping pills. The Amazing James Randi swallows a entire bottle in one go, and has been doing so many times a year for eight to ten years, but he is still healthy as a horse. The reason is these sleeping pills have been diluted so far to the point where there is NONE of it left, and yet these assholes are getting tons of money for their phony medicine.

Lately my activism has been focused on Scientology, I have been trying to recruit several of my atheist friends in our local atheist group (about 300 atheists), but they are more willing to join me protesting outside a christian church. That is fine, since a large majority of them are ex-christians and already understand christianity and its horrors. They are welcome to wear the Guy Fawkes mask, since Anonymous is leaderless and can reach beyond the cult of Scientology.

I am quite the traveler and I will be sure to put South Africa on my map for places to visit. Thanks.


Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
Posts: 45
Joined: 2011-01-08
User is offlineOffline
thanks Gawszilla

Gawdzilla wrote:

Welcome! If you get the chance, come visit the Endangered Wolf Center. I volunteer there and get to hear our friends howling several times a week. It's an awesome sound!

Wow, a late chrismas present. I have no idea how I missed this. Thanks Gawdzilla.


Tadgh
atheist
Tadgh's picture
Posts: 125
Joined: 2010-08-29
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: welcome to the

Ktulu wrote:

 welcome to the forum, I grew up in a Greek Orthodox house hold so lamb was pretty much a staple in our diet.

I remember an episode of "Fear Factor" where the contestants were challenged to eat a boiled lamb's head, my mouth was watering and memories of picking the brain from the lamb's split head at easter were flooding in.  What better way to celebrate the resurrection of our saviour then to slaughter baby sheep.  mmmm baby sheep, yummm.  

You'll find your views on rationality mirrored on this forum and I'm also a devout believer of taxing the churches right out of existence. 

Well... I've never eaten brain of any kind, that I know of, and while I have eaten... well, never mind that... I am not sure I'd be averse to eating boiled lamb's head as long as the outer coat didn't come into play. I don't think I'd like eating wool.

Anyway, welcome to the RRS. I think of myself as a relative newbie partly because my presence here has not yet coalesced iteslef into anything resembling regularity. Plus I've grown over-tired of arguing with theists, so I'm not sure how it will work for me here. So far I must say I do like this forum a lot, with one or two minor exceptions, one of which you already been told about.


Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
Posts: 45
Joined: 2011-01-08
User is offlineOffline
Thnk you all

I want to thank you all for greeting me. I am glad to meet so many nice people.

I wanted to do something for the Rational Response Squad, so I created the first ever article on RRS on RationalWiki. I posted this on a forum, which you can read here and will explain

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/28496

Please check it out, you can help me improve the article, which includes an overview of the Nightline debate with Way of the Master.


Gawdzilla
atheist
Posts: 69
Joined: 2011-01-01
User is offlineOffline
I'll be there tonight for

I'll be there tonight for doscent classes. Saturday we got to watch a pack of African Wild Dog enhale a deer. (We only give them "thinned" deer that has been taken with a bow. You can't be sure where the lead goes when they're shot.)

'


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4481
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Gawdzilla wrote:I'll be

Gawdzilla wrote:

I'll be there tonight for doscent classes. Saturday we got to watch a pack of African Wild Dog enhale a deer. (We only give them "thinned" deer that has been taken with a bow. You can't be sure where the lead goes when they're shot.)

'

 

You know, I have often wondered about that. Why shoot the deer? Wolves or wild dogs are perfectly capable of taking one on the hoof, it would probably be better exercise for them and a lot more fun. I have wondered the same thing about zoos that feed predators lumps of dead meat. Call me crazy, but I have always thought contained animals should be treated as close to being wild as possible. Tranquilizing a few deer and rabbits and throwing them in doesn't seem terribly far fetched to me.

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Gawdzilla wrote:

I'll be there tonight for doscent classes. Saturday we got to watch a pack of African Wild Dog enhale a deer. (We only give them "thinned" deer that has been taken with a bow. You can't be sure where the lead goes when they're shot.)

'

 

You know, I have often wondered about that. Why shoot the deer? Wolves or wild dogs are perfectly capable of taking one on the hoof, it would probably be better exercise for them and a lot more fun. I have wondered the same thing about zoos that feed predators lumps of dead meat. Call me crazy, but I have always thought contained animals should be treated as close to being wild as possible. Tranquilizing a few deer and rabbits and throwing them in doesn't seem terribly far fetched to me.

 

It's all perception - of the people who supply the meat.  Watching a pack of wolves eviscerate a living deer is difficult for some people to stomach.  I know what you mean.  We lived out in a rural area for awhile.  Our dogs loved running in the pasture - and eating the baby bunnies and mice.  Why the mice and rabbits didn't make their nests in the brambles, I don't know.  The dogs would toss the babies up in the air and crunch them down.  Makes a lot of whimpy people nauseous.  I told my dogs they were very clever.

Tranquilizing them first doesn't seem to me to be much different than killing them first - and then there is the problem of the wolf getting the tranquilizer in the meat.  Sort of like why my grandfather refused to shoot his buffalo.  This was years ago when there weren't many left.  So there was a lottery for hunting licenses.  Grandpa got one, showed up and left after a few minutes in disgust.  He said the buffalo was so tame it would just stand there while guys (it was all men) lined up and shot at it.  Said if he wanted to do target practice, he would go shoot at tin cans, it would be more challenging as the cans were a lot smaller.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Gawdzilla
atheist
Posts: 69
Joined: 2011-01-01
User is offlineOffline
The perception problem is

The perception problem is part of it. We are also concerned that one of the wolves will be hurt or killed in a hunt. As we have the largest group of Mexican Gray Wolves in the world, and that numbers less than 40, we're leery of risking one that way. We get animals that refuse to stay out of town, or love to play in traffic. Those are going to die one way or the other and if you've ever seen a deer-car encounter at Interstate speeds you can easily see why culling them is a better way to handle the matter.


Gawdzilla
atheist
Posts: 69
Joined: 2011-01-01
User is offlineOffline
Silver, you are right that

Silver, you are right that keeping the wolves wild is the best way to help restore the population. We have a "hands off" policy, we treat them as the predators they are, not big doggies. We try to teach them that humans aren't a food source, and that they'd be happier if we weren't around. (We do NOT abuse them, btw, we just don't cuddle them.)

They do get chances to hunt here, however. The Tyson Research Facility, operated by Washington University in St. Louis, is 2,000 acres of natural habitat, with Lone Elk Park and The World Bird Sanctuary adjoining. This gives the native fauna chances to prosper, and occasionally raccoon, opposum, wild turkeys, etc., get into the enclosures. They seldom get back out.

An indicator of the success of our methods might be that ALL the Mexican Gray Wolves currently in the wild came from our facility or were born to animals raised here. We have been instrumental in writing the SSP, the Species Survival Plan for the Mexican Gray Wolf.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Gawdzilla wrote:The

Gawdzilla wrote:

The perception problem is part of it. We are also concerned that one of the wolves will be hurt or killed in a hunt. As we have the largest group of Mexican Gray Wolves in the world, and that numbers less than 40, we're leery of risking one that way. We get animals that refuse to stay out of town, or love to play in traffic. Those are going to die one way or the other and if you've ever seen a deer-car encounter at Interstate speeds you can easily see why culling them is a better way to handle the matter.

 

I've seen vehicles after a deer jumped down off a small cliff onto the road.  The SUV was a total lost and the deer didn't live through it either.  Sometimes elk get tangled with cars around here.  They are darn near as big as cattle.

Good point - of course they might get hurt by larger live prey and they might hurt each other fighting over it.  Bet there are darn few mice and rats near by.  Congrats on the number of wolves and your breeding program.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5810
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
G'day, and welcome.I think a

G'day, and welcome.

I think a healthy eco-system needs its top predator.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4481
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:G'day, and

BobSpence1 wrote:

G'day, and welcome.

I think a healthy eco-system needs its top predator.

 

Why thank you Bob, I do plan on sticking around a few more years.....

Oh, you meant the wolves? Yeah, I suppose we can use them too.

 

 

@Gawdzilla, Sounds like an interesting place, I will have to remember to check it out next time I am around Missouri.  

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson