Good Morning.

Press_Tilty
atheist
Posts: 3
Joined: 2010-12-03
User is offlineOffline
Good Morning.

 Hello, I am Press_Tilty.

 

I guess you describe me as hard-core atheist. I love arguing about pretty much anything, but theism is my favorite. One thing that really bothers me is that the word atheist isn't a noun. You can be atheist, but not an atheist. Now, I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I still believe that it is an adjective. It requires some thought into sentence construction, but there you have it.

I also appreciate proper grammar. As far as I can tell, this site looks like people know how to use grammar. But be warned, I will correct you if you swap there/their/they're, your/you're. Also, who/whom. I'm not snobby about that, but saying "whom" makes you sound more professional. Don't take it personally, I do it to everyone.

My favorite quote is 

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." 

-Marcus Aurelius
 

I'm going to put it in my signature, but I haven't yet.

 

-PT


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum

Welcome aboard, I try to be careful about spelling but got to admit that I screw up correct punctuation from time to time.

Looking forward to hearing more of your input.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Press_Tilty
atheist
Posts: 3
Joined: 2010-12-03
User is offlineOffline
 Nah, punctuation's okay

 Nah, punctuation's okay with me. I get that wrong key strokes happen, but your/you're is unexcusable.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Hi Tilty and welcome.

Press_Tilty wrote:

 Hello, I am Press_Tilty.

 

I guess you describe me as hard-core atheist. I love arguing about pretty much anything, but theism is my favorite. One thing that really bothers me is that the word atheist isn't a noun. You can be atheist, but not an atheist. Now, I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I still believe that it is an adjective. It requires some thought into sentence construction, but there you have it.

I also appreciate proper grammar. As far as I can tell, this site looks like people know how to use grammar. But be warned, I will correct you if you swap there/their/they're, your/you're. Also, who/whom. I'm not snobby about that, but saying "whom" makes you sound more professional. Don't take it personally, I do it to everyone.

My favorite quote is 

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." 

-Marcus Aurelius
 

I'm going to put it in my signature, but I haven't yet.

 

-PT

 

Not sure I can agree with you on use of the word 'whom' instead of who. Another thing that annoys me is use of the word 'whilst' in technical press releases like we're all writing Jane Austen novels now. As a magazine editor there's nothing more annoying to me than overwriting. I prefer Hemingway's chiseled prose. I even like his endless use of 'and' to make a flow of words shift across a scene like the movement of an eye. I do like Marcus Aurelius. A perceptive, excellent man.

Have fun here. I look forward your meeting Jean Chauvin, a fire and brimstone Calvinist who drives the English language in reverse and without regard for synchromesh.

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Press_Tilty
atheist
Posts: 3
Joined: 2010-12-03
User is offlineOffline
 At least no one says thy,

 At least no one says thy, thou or thine.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3730
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the

Welcome to the forum.

Press_Tilty wrote:
I guess you describe me as hard-core atheist. I love arguing about pretty much anything, but theism is my favorite. One thing that really bothers me is that the word atheist isn't a noun. You can be atheist, but not an atheist. Now, I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I still believe that it is an adjective. It requires some thought into sentence construction, but there you have it.

Eh, how is it not a noun? A noun is a person, place, thing or idea. An atheist is a person that doesn't believe in God.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2406
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Not to worry.

 

 

 

               Welcome press_tilty and my grammer is perfect;  she was married to gramper for 57  years so I no thats.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
  

 

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13833
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Press_Tilty wrote: At least

Press_Tilty wrote:

 At least no one says thy, thou or thine.

Me thinkith thou hath a stick up thine ass.

Nothing to see here, just being silly.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Press_Tilty wrote: Hello, I

Press_Tilty wrote:

 Hello, I am Press_Tilty.

I also appreciate proper grammar. As far as I can tell, this site looks like people know how to use grammar. But be warned, I will correct you if you swap there/their/they're, your/you're. Also, who/whom. I'm not snobby about that, but saying "whom" makes you sound more professional. Don't take it personally, I do it to everyone.

My favorite quote is 

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." 

-Marcus Aurelius
 

I'm going to put it in my signature, but I haven't yet.

 

-PT

Your right I love you're quote Smiling and I appreciate your're abssesion with correct spelling and grammar no matter who it may concern.

That was as painful to type as it is to read, but I go for the smiles as a rule of thumb.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Chuckle

 

Thy tongues are press't to Tilty's cheek.

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: Thy

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Thy tongues are press't to Tilty's cheek.

 

 

Now that is a mental image I could have skipped.

It's worse than speedos.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Atheistextremist

cj wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Thy tongues are press't to Tilty's cheek.

 

 

Now that is a mental image I could have skipped.

It's worse than speedos.

 

In Queensland they are called Banana Hammocks. Elsewhere in Oz they are Budgie Smugglers. Do you folks have nicknames for close fitting lycra swimwear?

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
"Thy" is second person

"Thy" is second person genitive singular.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Soz...

 

Thy tongue is press't to Tilty's cheek...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:cj

Atheistextremist wrote:

cj wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Thy tongues are press't to Tilty's cheek.

Now that is a mental image I could have skipped.

It's worse than speedos.

In Queensland they are called Banana Hammocks. Elsewhere in Oz they are Budgie Smugglers. Do you folks have nicknames for close fitting lycra swimwear?

 

Not anything so evocative.  And I think that is a good thing.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:cj

Atheistextremist wrote:

cj wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:
Thy tongues are press't to Tilty's cheek.

 

Now that is a mental image I could have skipped.

It's worse than speedos.

In Queensland they are called Banana Hammocks. Elsewhere in Oz they are Budgie Smugglers. Do you folks have nicknames for close fitting lycra swimwear?

 

For the bathing suit?  Not that I have heard.  However, the shorts that bicyclists wear are sometimes referred to as "so tight you can tell what religion he is".

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=