Hi there

Morning-Star
atheist
Morning-Star's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2011-01-07
User is offlineOffline
Hi there

Hello there, Atheist from Scotland, with interests in Gnosticism and discussion therein, looking forward to chatting with y'all

 

And if I can take part in it by transforming my own consciousness, then someone else's, I'm happy to do it.
Bill Hicks


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Scotsman say,

Welcome!

 

Scotsman say, "Ya'll"?  Awesome.

 

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

Welcome to the forum.

By the way, since the term "No True Scotsman Fallacy" gets brought up on here sometime, I was hoping that you could clear that up for me.

Are you or are you not a 'true" Scotsman ?

Do true Scotsman like haggis or is that false ? Does a "true" Scotsman like the film Braveheart or not ?

Your answers are crucial !

Hehe. Just joking.

 

 

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3729
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Morning-Star
atheist
Morning-Star's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2011-01-07
User is offlineOffline
all very important

all very important questions...so I will answer them, I am from Glasgow, born and bread, so I do not even wear a Kilt let alone anything under it , so I assume that I am a true Scotsman to some and not to others, I love haggis, its great and as to Braveheart....well Mel Gibson was criticized for not being Scottish enough when he made the movie, and here he is years later an alcoholic wife beater....can't get much more Scottish than that.

 

nuff said? 

And if I can take part in it by transforming my own consciousness, then someone else's, I'm happy to do it.
Bill Hicks


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Morning-Star wrote:all very

Morning-Star wrote:

all very important questions...so I will answer them, I am from Glasgow, born and bread, so I do not even wear a Kilt let alone anything under it , so I assume that I am a true Scotsman to some and not to others, I love haggis, its great and as to Braveheart....well Mel Gibson was criticized for not being Scottish enough when he made the movie, and here he is years later an alcoholic wife beater....can't get much more Scottish than that.

 

nuff said? 

LOL. Ok, I got it. I now have an understanding of a true Scotsman. Since I am an Italian/Irish mix (which probably sounds like a horrifying combination to you, but in truth is much much worse) I had never fully formulated the accurate picture of the true Scotsman. The first time that I heard the term haggis was in the 1985 film, Highlander when that dialogue happens with Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert. At the time I thought it was a joke, until I read about it years later.

Anyway, have fun on the forum, there's tons of information and topics here.

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Morning-Star wrote:

all very important questions...so I will answer them, I am from Glasgow, born and bread, so I do not even wear a Kilt let alone anything under it , so I assume that I am a true Scotsman to some and not to others, I love haggis, its great and as to Braveheart....well Mel Gibson was criticized for not being Scottish enough when he made the movie, and here he is years later an alcoholic wife beater....can't get much more Scottish than that.

 

nuff said? 

LOL. Ok, I got it. I now have an understanding of a true Scotsman. Since I am an Italian/Irish mix (which probably sounds like a horrifying combination to you, but in truth is much much worse) I had never fully formulated the accurate picture of the true Scotsman. The first time that I heard the term haggis was in the 1985 film, Highlander when that dialogue happens with Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert. At the time I thought it was a joke, until I read about it years later.

Anyway, have fun on the forum, there's tons of information and topics here.

 

Harley and Morning-Star.

That's funny.  Really.  The legend in my family is that great-grandfather was Scot.  Since the only photo we have of him he has a glass of whiskey in his hand, I guess maybe so.  They might have been from around the border of Scotland and England near Gretna Green.  I am qualifying all this as all I have is oral history and I am not very trustful of what Auntie thought was a great place to be from.

Have to ask - is Morning-Star for the weapon?  Are you in the SCA?

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Morning-Star
atheist
Morning-Star's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2011-01-07
User is offlineOffline
Nope, Morning Star as in Day

Nope, Morning Star as in Day Star or Venus, also know as Lucifer or light bearer, whom according to Gnostic belief was the Good guy , the true saviour of man kind, the father of Cain as he was the serpent in the garden of eden, he Who gave mankind the gift of Gnosis or Knowledge and is the eternal enemy of the Demigurge (or Satan) the insecure , imperfect false Creator God that all Abrahamic religions pray to.

 

And before I get an earful... yes I do think this is allegorical, and no I do not believe I am Lucifer, although I am interested in the luciferian path, illumination, the dialectic process, the nature of a personal reality, hermetism, Gnosticism, the Cathars and essentially the belief that we are evolving and becoming God, ie God is the result at the end of of the evolutionary process, not the cause at the begining.

 

Please note I said interested in, not that I believe this, it is fundementally why I am here, I wish to run some thoughts by people capable of critical thought and who are almost certainly better educated than I was.

 

by the way, what is SCA?

And if I can take part in it by transforming my own consciousness, then someone else's, I'm happy to do it.
Bill Hicks


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Morning-Star wrote: by the

Morning-Star wrote:

 

by the way, what is SCA?

A medieval reenactment type group that is dedicated to preserving the historical culture of pre-17th century Europe.

http://www.sca.org/links/about.html

There is a huge chapter located in the city where I live. They put on Renaissance Faires, sword-fighting, jousting, medieval battles and a host of the arts from the time period. Pretty cool stuff.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Morning-Star wrote: I wish

Morning-Star wrote:

 I wish to run some thoughts by people capable of critical thought and who are almost certainly better educated than I was.

 

Feel free, discussions of any type are always welcome.

You seem to have some interesting pursuits and ideas. I would like to hear more of them.

How long have you been studying gnosticism ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Morning-Star
atheist
Morning-Star's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2011-01-07
User is offlineOffline
Only very recently, after I

Only very recently, after I watched the Zeitgeist films I was astounded by the fact that I didn't know about the whole sun-god, gods son thing, horus and the rest of it, I was a very lazy atheist, I just didn't believe and that was it, never really have so I kind of blanked everything to do with it. Like I said , pretty poor education. (fortunate enough to come from a long tradition of anti- christians, 3rd generation  unbaptised and going straight to hell, lol)

 

anyhoo I got onto the whole secret society , ruling elite thing and googled illuminati, then I noticed something very peculiar, there seemed to be 2 illuminati. One were the MTV evil ruling elite version looking for a NWO, and then there were another group, purporting to being the genuine illuminatti that revile the elite and sought there downfall, this was weird and then I discovered this website and my mind exploded.  http://www.armageddonconspiracy.co.uk/ .

Now I am by nature pretty skeptical, I still do not believe necessarily that these guys are the original article, but the site is facinating and became a basis for a whole range of topics that I found extremely interesting.

And if I can take part in it by transforming my own consciousness, then someone else's, I'm happy to do it.
Bill Hicks


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, I am so not into that

Sorry, I am so not into that kind of stuff - secret societies and all.  I'm not a member of The Society for Creative Anachronism, either.  But SCA is meant in fun, to enjoy and have a good time.  Renaissance fairs are far from the real thing, but spending too much and eating too much and laughing (never too much) is always a good day.  Sort of like the Scottish games held here in Portland, OR.  Lots of Celtic types moved here 150 years or so ago.

http://www.phga.org/

If that photo of all those nut cases in what they are calling kilts doesn't set you laughing, I don't know what will.

 

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
cj

cj wrote:

http://www.phga.org/

If that photo of all those nut cases in what they are calling kilts doesn't set you laughing, I don't know what will.

 

I don't know which pic you had in mind there.  Even so, in the caber toss pic, the guy behind the tosser is wearing his kilt backwards.

 

And yes, I love Haggis.  I also wear Ancient Baird.

 

The interesting thing about braveheart is that it has a hidden reference to the illuminati if you know where to look.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

cj wrote:

http://www.phga.org/

If that photo of all those nut cases in what they are calling kilts doesn't set you laughing, I don't know what will.

 

I don't know which pic you had in mind there.  Even so, in the caber toss pic, the guy behind the tosser is wearing his kilt backwards.

 

And yes, I love Haggis.  I also wear Ancient Baird.

 

The interesting thing about braveheart is that it has a hidden reference to the illuminati if you know where to look.

 

My comment was not intended as a put down, but as an invitation to share a laugh.  I enjoy the Scottish games and all the knobby knees. 

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3703
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Morning-Star wrote:  by

Morning-Star wrote:

 

 by the way, what is SCA?

     The SCA is a place where many "role playing" type Star Trek fans go when they get bored with the "prime directive"  ...you know, put down the tri-corder and hand phaser and pick up chain mail and a broad sword.  I've seen it.  Sorry, too crazy even for me.

www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/misanthropy

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." Rudyard Kipling


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Morning-Star wrote:Only very

Morning-Star wrote:

Only very recently, after I watched the Zeitgeist films I was astounded by the fact that I didn't know about the whole sun-god, gods son thing, horus and the rest of it, I was a very lazy atheist, I just didn't believe and that was it, never really have so I kind of blanked everything to do with it. Like I said , pretty poor education. (fortunate enough to come from a long tradition of anti- christians, 3rd generation  unbaptised and going straight to hell, lol)

 

anyhoo I got onto the whole secret society , ruling elite thing and googled illuminati, then I noticed something very peculiar, there seemed to be 2 illuminati. One were the MTV evil ruling elite version looking for a NWO, and then there were another group, purporting to being the genuine illuminatti that revile the elite and sought there downfall, this was weird and then I discovered this website and my mind exploded.  http://www.armageddonconspiracy.co.uk/ .

Now I am by nature pretty skeptical, I still do not believe necessarily that these guys are the original article, but the site is facinating and became a basis for a whole range of topics that I found extremely interesting.

Can't speak about secret societies and such (have never seen the Zeitgeist films, have heard everything from how far out it is to accusations of conspiracy theory stuff, but I have never seen it so I can't say for sure)

However, in so far as the existence of Jesus goes, here is an old thread that you might wish to start on :

http://www.rationalresponders.com/silence_screams_no_contemporary_historical_accounts_quotjesus

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Morning-Star
atheist
Morning-Star's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2011-01-07
User is offlineOffline
I would recommend watching

I would recommend watching it to anyone, but the zeitgeist movement is a bit like my penis, I may be very fond of it, but I do not neccesarily want to shove it down anyones throat, (kind of ad libbed that joke there..'scuse me) 

 

As to the link, thank you, but before i read it would just like to point out that weather Christ truly existed or not is of little or no consequence to Gnostic belief as , as I understand it " GNOSTICISM IS THE TEACHING based on Gnosis, the knowledge of transcendence arrived at by way of interior, intuitive means. Although Gnosticism thus rests on personal religious experience, it is a mistake to assume all such experience results in Gnostic recognitions. It is nearer the truth to say that Gnosticism expresses a specific religious experience, an experience that does not lend itself to the language of theology or philosophy, but which is instead closely affinitized to, and expresses itself through, the medium of myth. Indeed, one finds that most Gnostic scriptures take the forms of myths. The term “myth” should not here be taken to mean “stories that are not true”, but rather, that the truths embodied in these myths are of a different order from the dogmas of theology or the statements of philosophy."
 

 

that wasn't my words I got it from here...  http://www.gnosis.org/gnintro.htm

And if I can take part in it by transforming my own consciousness, then someone else's, I'm happy to do it.
Bill Hicks


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
 Hello from Canada

 Hello from Canada


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
 Hello from Canada

*Duplicate