I want to feel the sun on my face again....

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want to feel the sun on my face again....

Hi.

I've joined this forum, in the effort to try and find a place where I can come to, where I can overcome some serious problems of isolation, that plague me, for reasons that I'm about to share.

I've been plagued with a serious affliction, that began with me, as a young child, that for many years has caused me much discomfort and suffering, as it took a long time to properly diagnose, and as yet, have not been able to be fully treated for.

It  makes it very difficult for me to venture out into the outside world, as each time I do, I'm taking a huge risk of being stricken by this affliction.

Which often means that I must spend a lot of time alone, so that I do not become ill. I have to spend a lot of time in a self imposed quarantine. And it gets lonely....

What I suffer from, is a severe allergy to something that a large number of average people are carriers of, which results in my suffering symptoms of severe anaphalactic shock.

I suffer from 'stupidity intolerance'.

As you can imagine, living with this severe allergy, is incredibly difficult. There are all kinds of 'stupidity' that can trigger it.

'Ignorance', 'Fallacies', 'False Premises', 'Non Sequiturs', 'Fuzzy Logic', 'Red Herrings', 'Equivocations', and 'Strawmen' send me into severe anaphalactic shock, and sometimes cause a high pitched ringing of my ears that can only be stopped, when I combat the source of those triggers.

Ridding myself from the exposure to 'stupidity', by stopping it, and not letting it grow and mature any further that it's current state, has the effect of minimizing my allergic reaction.

Many people relate to this in the same way that 'turning off the amplifier' of over amplified obnoxious music, is a source of great relief to their ears.

An interesting side effect of ridding myself of the stimuli of 'stupidity' is an immune response release of endorphins I experience.

Combatting 'stupidity' is not only stopping my adverse physiological reactions, but aids by the soothing brought on by the endorphins.

What's interesting is the 'sympathetic' soothing I observe in others, in close proximity to me, as I alleviate the source of my triggers.

At times, it's given me pause to think I'm not alone in the allergy that I have, but that many, are loathe to openly admit it to others.

If you suffer from the same thing I do, you are not alone.

Really.

You are not.

I understand.

I know that I've been made to feel very guilty by those I've combatted against, who are the greatest carriers and human incubators of 'stupidity'.

Namely, religious zealots.

They refuse to acknowledge that they have a severe case of 'stupidity'. They insist that they're 'fine', when they are not. I think it's just like people with 'BO'. You know....denial...and the best defense, is a strong offense (no pun intended... Shocked)

I've come to believe this place can be a great 'sanctuary' (please pardon the pun...) where I can get out from the 'indoor' isolation, walk around in the sun, and away from them...  

Anyhoo,.....enough about me, share with me about some of yourselves!  Smiling

~redneF

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. Welcome to the forum.

Lol.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Lol, at first I actually

Lol, at first I actually thought you had a disease and therefore you would be at your computer all day Laughing out loud

Welcome to the forum. I think we might be able to help curing you, but you'll have to inject our medicine, called knowledge, into the source of the irritant.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You asshole! You had me

You asshole! You had me going there for a second. LOL

You are in good company here. Most of us have a severe allergic reaction to stupidity. We certainly love those who suffer from the affliction of delusion, but when they utter absurdities it can cause this reaction you talk about.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL

LOL

Welcome aboard.

You'll find that many of us share your affliction.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You asshole!

Brian37 wrote:

Not a bad entrance, huh? Laughing out loud

Brian37 wrote:
You are in good company here. Most of us have a severe allergic reaction to stupidity.

I must be some kinda prophet then.....lol

Brian37 wrote:
We certainly love those who suffer from the affliction of delusion, but when they utter absurdities it can cause this reaction you talk about.

Y'know....when I was younger, I used to buy into the concept that 'who cares what other people believe in?', and to not get into debates with people about their 'beliefs' because it was counterproductive to us all 'getting along'.....not realizing that what theists are doing is the antithesis of bringing us all closer together, despite their lecturing that we are ALL a creation of 'one' creator.

There was always a glaring disconnect between what they 'say' and what they 'do'.

After many years of being on various special interest forums and entering into debate threads, it really began to occur to me, just how incredibly delusional, and dysfunctional theists were, and how proportionately so, according to their depth of 'belief'.

To be quite frank....they began to scare the f**k outta me. Or at the very least....alarm me.

Not the stupid ones (they're funny...), but the crazy ones. And they really are crazy, when it comes to their delusions about 'life'.

I came across this site after doing one of my favorite things, which is searching for George Carlin videos on YouTube, and getting drunk on his signature humour and awareness, which is so similar to my own.

I came across 'Thunderf00t's' videos on YouTube, and linking to other debates that are thumbnailed on the right side of each video page.....which eventually brought me to the Brian and Kelly debate with the Banana Man and his Hollywood B List sidekick, and found out about RRS, and just couldn't resist the urge to contribute to the debunking and ridiculing of zealot nutjobs.

I do have a confession to make...........I get immense pleasure from ridiculing the ridiculous.

Is that wrong?.... Shocked

~redneF

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Brian37

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Not a bad entrance, huh? Laughing out loud

Brian37 wrote:
You are in good company here. Most of us have a severe allergic reaction to stupidity.

I must be some kinda prophet then.....lol

Brian37 wrote:
We certainly love those who suffer from the affliction of delusion, but when they utter absurdities it can cause this reaction you talk about.

Y'know....when I was younger, I used to buy into the concept that 'who cares what other people believe in?', and to not get into debates with people about their 'beliefs' because it was counterproductive to us all 'getting along'.....not realizing that what theists are doing is the antithesis of bringing us all closer together, despite their lecturing that we are ALL a creation of 'one' creator.

There was always a glaring disconnect between what they 'say' and what they 'do'.

After many years of being on various special interest forums and entering into debate threads, it really began to occur to me, just how incredibly delusional, and dysfunctional theists were, and how proportionately so, according to their depth of 'belief'.

To be quite frank....they began to scare the f**k outta me. Or at the very least....alarm me.

Not the stupid ones (they're funny...), but the crazy ones. And they really are crazy, when it comes to their delusions about 'life'.

I came across this site after doing one of my favorite things, which is searching for George Carlin videos on YouTube, and getting drunk on his signature humour and awareness, which is so similar to my own.

I came across 'Thunderf00t's' videos on YouTube, and linking to other debates that are thumbnailed on the right side of each video page.....which eventually brought me to the Brian and Kelly debate with the Banana Man and his Hollywood B List sidekick, and found out about RRS, and just couldn't resist the urge to contribute to the debunking and ridiculing of zealot nutjobs.

I do have a confession to make...........I get immense pleasure from ridiculing the ridiculous.

Is that wrong?.... Shocked

~redneF

Is it wrong to ridicule the ridiculous?

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions" Thomas Jefferson.

The irony is that I would, if I could have, ridiculed even his generic god of nature to his face, and he would have welcomed it, even if he clung to that proposition.

The idea that a thought can come from a non-material magic super brain is absurd.

So no, it is not only not wrong, it is required. I think Jefferson if had been alive today, he would be an atheist. He certainly had no problem with someone who came to the conclusion that gods do not exist.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:"Ridicule is

Brian37 wrote:

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions" Thomas Jefferson.

I like that!

Here's an observation that has been made many times, whose irony is very poignant.....It's crazy people who are least likely to question their own level of lucidity, whereas the scientist/objectivist/logician/skeptic will not leave to chance and accept a theory as fact without the most tenacious levels of mistrust of ones' own mind.

Which illustrates clearly the contrast between the humility of the scientist/objectivist/logician/skeptic, and the hubris of the crazy person.

Ironic, innit?.... Laughing out loud

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
What you need is an asshole

What you need is an asshole seeking missile.  The problem is it is a target rich environment.

Welcome.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums. You

Welcome to the forums. You had me going as well as your opening line reminded me of a friend that couldn't go out into the Sun at all.

The disease of stupidity is all about and healthy doses of knowledge is the best treatment. There are many that completely resist all attempts at the application of knowledge and will eventually find a concrete wall with their name on it as they crash and burn.

Have fun!

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey PJTS.Thanks for the

Hey PJTS.

Thanks for the greets.

I haven't been back to this page in a while. I've been busy battling the forces of Eternal DumbNation that have infiltrated this forum.

I've enjoyed your counter intelligence, and your surgical strikes, with scriptures.

It won't be an easy battle, but 'Right, is Might!'