Eating Jesus can be harmful to your Health

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eating Jesus can be harmful to your Health

Probably the members of Our Lady of Lourdes Church are wondering just what the priest has been up to.

CNN wrote:

New York (CNN) -- Hundreds of people might have been exposed to hepatitis A while receiving communion on Christmas Day, Long Island officials said Monday.

The Nassau County Department of Health is offering vaccines to those who attended two services at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Massapequa Park in Long Island, New York, according to Nassau County Department of Health spokeswoman Mary Ellen Laurain.

Individuals might be at risk if they received communion during the 10:30 am and noon Masses, according to a statement from the county health department.

"We know that there's a potential that (exposure) could have happened," she said. "We think the risk is relatively low."

At least one member of the clergy involved in the communion process was infected with the disease, Laurain said.

There have been no additional reports of illness.

Some 1,300 people were in attendance between the two church services, she added.

Symptoms of the disease include the onset of fever, fatigue, poor appetite, nausea, stomach pain, dark-colored urine and jaundice, according the statement. The disease is rarely fatal and most people recover within a few weeks without complications, it said.

Individuals exposed to the disease should receive vaccination within two weeks of exposure, the statement said.

see - http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/new.york.hepatitis.a/index.html?hpt=Sbin

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vaccines ? Why not just pray

Vaccines ?

Why not just pray real hard ?

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Vaccines

Anonymouse wrote:

Vaccines ?

Why not just pray real hard ?

lol

I don't really get how you can get hepatitis from communion. In my church they did use plastic cups instead of the normal one, when there was the avian flu or the other one, or something.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You can get hep-A from

You can get hep-A from drinking behind an infected person.  So I am thinking that whomever it was was probably first in line.

Then when the health department asked the prying but standard questions like "have you been sharing food and beverages" the guy admitted to going to church.  Then the church admitted to the fact that they did not wash the chalice between services.  

Bloody hell but I was an Anglican altar boy for a couple of years and I don't recall the damned thing being washed even once.  Well, possibly once.  Someone filled one of the salad cruet things that are part of the ritual with cream sherry instead of wine and the priest found that the communion wafers were sticking to his fingers.  Maybe then but apart from that, probably never.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

You can get hep-A from drinking behind an infected person.  So I am thinking that whomever it was was probably first in line.

Eating contaminated food as well.  Food or drink can become contaminated after being heated, so relying on only cooked food may not save you from being infected.  And what is worse, a person can be a carrier and not have any symptoms.   So the server (priest, alter boy) may feel fine, but still pass it on.  Rather like Typhoid Mary.

Hep-A, though the least lethal of the hepatitis viruses, is still one nasty illness.  You can get a vaccine for it - it is recommended for most overseas travel from the US - but I am not sure how effective a vaccine would be if you already have caught the virus.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Then when the health department asked the prying but standard questions like "have you been sharing food and beverages" the guy admitted to going to church.  Then the church admitted to the fact that they did not wash the chalice between services.  

Bloody hell but I was an Anglican altar boy for a couple of years and I don't recall the damned thing being washed even once.  Well, possibly once.  Someone filled one of the salad cruet things that are part of the ritual with cream sherry instead of wine and the priest found that the communion wafers were sticking to his fingers.  Maybe then but apart from that, probably never.

The article mentioned "At least one member of the clergy involved in the communion process was infected with the disease", so as the priest touches the wafer the Hep - A virus overpowers the Jesus flesh imparting itself upon the unsuspecting. This is also true with the Jesus blood as the infected priest slurps from the cup he imparts Hep - A virus onto the cup and slobbers it into the less than resisting blood masquerading as wine. Thus the Hep A virus has shown it is far more powerful than the mythical Jesus and has far more of a direct effect as well.

Hep A and Hep B vaccines are available in a combination dose. You have to have 2 immunizations 5 months apart. I was vaccinated 5 years ago when I owned tanning salons just in case. And the immunization may not be effective immediately so if the person is already infected they will probably get sick as hell.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.