Hello everyone!

Ringtone
User is offlineOffline
Hello everyone!

Hi everyone! I decided to make an account here after the site popped up on google and I read some threads and whatnot. Anyway, I come from an extremely, painfully religious family. My dad's an Elder at our Church, and I was sent to a private Christian school from grades kindergarden-8. Apparently their indoctrination techniques failed on me, ha. But seriously. I used to be a really hardcore Christian then, really pretty much one day after about two years of heavy doubting, I was like "fuck it, there's no proof. I don't think God exists."

And ever since I've been in a downward spiral since, as we all know, atheistic people are incapable of moral uprightness. Haha, but really, people actually believe that.

I'm not a Christian any more though, at all. I'm actually really bitter about the whole getting religion shoved down my throat since my birth thing. On the bright side, I think I have a fairly expansive knowledge of the Bible, the things it teaches, and the people who believe it so it's fun to view all of that same knowledge in the light that none of it is actually true. Unfortunately I'm still in the closet about the whole atheism thing, and probably will be until long past the time I move out, graduate college, move far far away, etc.

Anyway, I'm excited to have joined! How is everyone?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Unless you are

Welcome!

Unless you are going to channel your bitterness into some sort of activism, you might be better off trying to let it go.

Having said that, I understand how you fell, my background is similar.

I'm doing well, thanks!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Ringtone wrote: And

Welcome!

Ringtone wrote:

And ever since I've been in a downward spiral since, as we all know, atheistic people are incapable of moral uprightness. Haha, but really, people actually believe that.

Disillusionment sucks, that's for sure. But I hope you manage to find a way to pull out of your downward spiral, if it's serious. Life is too short not to try to find the best in it. And life on the outside of religion can be about 3 million times more interesting than life inside religion. Here's one of my recent favourite vids to give you a feel for why:

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard ! I think you'll enjoy the discussions and the tons of information that are on here.

I share a somewhat similiar background and I know that it can be frustrating trying to live with deeply religious people when you are an Atheist. But places like this are good for that sort of thing.

Looking forward to hearing more from you on the boards.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare