Thou shalt not kill

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thou shalt not kill

Perhaps, many of us "intuitively" know that it is safer to leave in a less religious place, but to test this feelings I put together Murder Rate vs. % of non-believers for 2008 for the U.S. states.

Here what I've got.

Basically, we need 40-50% of non-believers to have the murder rate of near 0.

P.S.: sorry, I really don't know how to attach an image.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
correlation=/=causation   

correlation=/=causation

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Yea, my thinking is some

Yea, my thinking is some combination of social stability, education and wealth result in lower crime rates and higher atheism.

Which doesn't make the graph less interesting, really, but more data mining is needed to get anything specific.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

correlation=/=causation

I know.  But the correlation extrapolation is normally one of the conditions for causation.  (necessary, but not sufficient)

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Yea, my

mellestad wrote:

Yea, my thinking is some combination of social stability, education and wealth result in lower crime rates and higher atheism.

Which doesn't make the graph less interesting, really, but more data mining is needed to get anything specific.

The actual reason for me to look at this kind of statistics were several recent posts that the crime rates are higher in highly religious cities.  This is a negative message, especially for x-tians.  I thought of some positive message about non-believers rather than the negative one about believers.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It most certainly is to me,

It most certainly is to me, at least, common sense that the more you question and test, the closer to reality you come.

But I warn all humans that labels are merely short cuts in which none own a monopoly of inventing morality. The word "atheist" only describes a position. It says nothing about anything unrelated to that position in our personal lives.

Humans are humans and throughout our history of evolution, power changes and morality changes and always has. We as a species are capable of the full range of human emotions and actions, both good and bad. Labels are not a monopoly.

I know "atheists" that call themselves that, but when you scratch the surface can be just as uneducated as a "weekend worshiper". I know other "atheists" who do not believe in the standard "invisible friend" concepts but buy other superstitions, like UFO and JFK crap.

It is just a label, nothing more. Collectively any group in the future, religious or not, can have the potential of being oppressive to outsiders.

It is when our species fails to accept our own mortality and fragile existence that labels become far too easy to be used as an excuse to harm others.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:It most

Brian37 wrote:

It most certainly is to me, at least, common sense that the more you question and test, the closer to reality you come.

But I warn all humans that labels are merely short cuts in which none own a monopoly of inventing morality. The word "atheist" only describes a position. It says nothing about anything unrelated to that position in our personal lives.

Humans are humans and throughout our history of evolution, power changes and morality changes and always has. We as a species are capable of the full range of human emotions and actions, both good and bad. Labels are not a monopoly.

I know "atheists" that call themselves that, but when you scratch the surface can be just as uneducated as a "weekend worshiper". I know other "atheists" who do not believe in the standard "invisible friend" concepts but buy other superstitions, like UFO and JFK crap.

It is just a label, nothing more. Collectively any group in the future, religious or not, can have the potential of being oppressive to outsiders.

It is when our species fails to accept our own mortality and fragile existence that labels become far too easy to be used as an excuse to harm others.

Brian,

In my opinion, atheism alone isn't enough to discriminate against certain group or groups of people.  Your message confirms this pretty much.

100%

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had some thoughts on this

I had some thoughts on this subject, some years ago. I'll copy paste some of the stuff from that old thread to revive that old debate.

From this thread: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15468

In which I put forth this question to Theists who might think that atheism leads to nihilism, depression and/or immorality in a society.

(please note, I live in Denmark)

I wrote:
If it is true that atheism leads to a bleak nihilistic outlook, then it follows that the more atheistic a society the more unhappy, or at least uprooted and aimless a society should be.

So explain Scandinivia. Please... It is so easy to draw absolute conclussions about things you know nothing about. Have you ever been to Denmark, Norway or Sweden?

And just to clarify, I like my country very much, but that's hardly surprising; most people have an emotional attachment to the culture that has shaped their personalities, but I am not saying that Denmark is a Utopia by any strech of the imagination.

I'm just saying that Denmark is a country in which people have families, jobs, hobbies, sports, art, politics, and everything else you'd expect to find in a human society.

Sure Denmark doesn't look the same as the US, or Russia, or Indonesia, but it's still normal people doing normal things.

If atheism is so fundementally un-viable to maintain the human condition, without people falling prey to their own existential angst, then how come people don't seem at all bothered here in Scandinavia?

I added:

Quote:
Now this is in no way an argument against God's existence in and of itself, nor is it intended to be. I would just like to hear theist's thoughts on this.

The first page of the thread has some interesting back and forth, and then trails off a bit at the end.

But there is this one exchange I had with a fellow from Norway, which is not irrelevant to this thread. He wrote:

DudefromNorway wrote:
Funnily it seems as if there is an inverse relationship between religion and welfare: The higher a country ranks upon the OECD or UN rankings of welfare, the less religious they seem to be. But which way does that correlation go - are they wealthy because they aren´t religious, or not religious because they are wealthy - I choose to think the latter.

If you look at the statistics, you´ll find that alot of born-again christians are people who have experienced some sort of despair in their life, or someone who´s about to (ie. convicts, rehabilitated drug addicts, old people and so on). When the rest of society turns it backs upon them it seems as if the religious groups are the only ones who for some reason or another cares. I´d love to see the same dedication from groups without some sort of religious anchorage, but sadly its pretty absent around here in Oslo - a reason why religious relief organizations such as the salvation army and the "Kirkens bymisjon" is held in high esteem here in Norway.

The main thesis proclaimed is that "atheist societies are more moral and happy than religious" - The problem is what came first: The chicken or the egg. Religion may cause relief in countries with no future prospects except an afterlife, whereas its pragmatic use is gone here in Scandinavia, but we were religious only 20-30 years ago, and if you look at so-called "happiness indexes", you´ll find that increased public and private wealth hasn´t increased our innate sense of happiness.

To which I replied:

I wrote:
You raise some interesting points, that mirror my own opinions alot, and maybe I'll comment on them later, but you say one thing that it is important that I clear up for you, and everyone else reading this thread:
DudefromNorway wrote:
The main thesis proclaimed is that "atheist societies are more moral and happy than religious"

The point I bring up is not that Scandinavia is more moral and happy than other places, because even if it is, that doesn't mean it's because Scandinavia is more atheistic. Corelation doesn't equal causation. And indeed, I'm not ready to argue that Scandinavia is more moral and happy, that's a rather selfconfident stance to take without studying alot of sociology first. Remember, I say in the OP that I don't consider Denmark the greatest place in the world. It's just not completely fucked either.

And the thesis of some theists (for example TrueBeliever, who was the one I was adressing with the question I reposted in the OP) is that atheism leads to depression and immorality, and I point out that if this was the case, then there should be a causal link between the level of atheism in a region, and the level of depression, nihilism and immorality in said region.

So I'm not saying Denmark is evidence that atheism will result in a good society. Like you point out, other thing could be (and probably are) the reasons that Denmark is a fairly well functioning society.

But Denmark is evidence that atheism does not destroy a society, and that is my only point. I'm just arguing against the argument that atheism will inevitably lead to a terrible, aimless, harsh and immoral society.

Those were the bits of the thread most relevant to this thread, I think .

So to sum up, like Pinnaple said, Correlation does not equal causation, and that is important when citing things like murder statistics in low-religiousity countries.

My personal impression is that wealth, safety and security are factors that bring down murder rates, AND brings down religiousity, and that is why you see statistics like the one you cite in the OP. Now that's just my own impression, but it seems just as valid as saying low religiousity is the CAUSE of low murder rates.

I don't know what else to say at this point, but I have more many more thoughts on this subject. I'll post this for now, and see what you make of it, and then maybe I'll get to more of my thoughts when replying.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it is also

I think it is also consistent with my idea that strong belief is also a coping mechanism, to help keep some positive hope in dire circumstances, so it would be expected that in stressed societies, due to poverty and/or crime, religiosity will be higher.

The associated down-side of that is that it can reduce the drive to actually do something to improve the physical conditions.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology