Christians want to keep Christ in Christmas, but why not the mass?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline

This is a tongue in cheek question, but really--

The etymology of the word comes from Christ-mass...originally celebrated as a mass.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mass out, no but your hat is on crooked

And it was for all intents and purpose the Bible was formed by the Roman Catholic church. Don't include anything that would say you don't need a priest or woman were on equal footing with men.

The history channel is now running a show on the history of Christmas.

Of course it is entirely a pagan holiday. Merry Mithra-mas Day.

The Puritans "rightfully" condemned it. It is so funny to see Christians get worked up about the war on Christmas when if they were true to their faith they would reject it. 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:This is a

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

The etymology of the word comes from Christ-mass...originally celebrated as a mass.

Maybe it's because so many Christians can't stand going to mass!  Even Bill O'Reilly, a conservative Christian defender, said he has a hard enough time staying awake in chruch!!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:The

ex-minister wrote:
The Puritans "rightfully" condemned it. It is so funny to see Christians get worked up about the war on Christmas when if they were true to their faith they would reject it. 

Yeah...probably so.

The "War on Christmas", oddly enough, is being waged by atheists too...

Anydangway...I just think it's comical on both sides.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

connerman
atheist
connerman's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been asked before.  If

I've been asked before.  If your an ateist, why do you celebrate Christmas?  There certainly many cultural reasons.  Most are traditions.  The others are pure unadulterated fun.  I could trot out the centuries old  Pagan traditions that morphed into Christmas  as as excuse for celebration but I won't.  Christmas  is fun. From a child's point of view or  adult.  The next time a Christian asks me about this I have a few answers.: 1 Christmas is a Pagan tradition: fuck off and find your own.  2 Christmas is fun: fuck off and find your own. 3 Science is fun: fuck off and read a book 

Understanding that there is no purpose in the Universe frees us all to find one.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Maybe it's because so many Christians can't stand going to mass!  Even Bill O'Reilly, a conservative Christian defender, said he has a hard enough time staying awake in chruch!!

As someone who was married to a Catholic family I can testify that Christmas mass in the Catholic church is much closer to torture than water boarding. Anyone who willingly goes to mass on Christmas is a masochist. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:This is a

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Because a mass is one ceremonial gathering in a church and that's all. Christians want more than that, job and school vacations, billboards, shopping discounts, gluttony, and so on. Just 'mass' alone is not a reason to keep all the other fun stuff.

I can't help but to quote Marquis now Sticking out tongue

Marquis March 7 2010 wrote:
So... have you heard about the new low-fat communion wafer for Catholics who have too much mass?

It's marketed under the brand name "I can't believe it's not Jesus!"...

By the way, u.A., that quote in your signature, isn't that from Warhammer 40 000? Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Nope - the quote is from Han

Nope - the quote is from Han Solo From Star Wars episode 4: A New Hope