What is a good citizen ? The Human Herding Process

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
What is a good citizen ? The Human Herding Process

I've been looking at video's on mostly YouTube,where I first came across this and due to my new lap top,I have no way of knowing how to embedd a youtube video using this new computer,but I also found it here -enjoy-www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81210485/

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:    I've been

Ken G. wrote:

I've been looking at video's on mostly YouTube,where I first came across this and due to my new lap top,I have no way of knowing how to embedd a youtube video using this new computer,but I also found it here -enjoy-www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81210485/

This video is a heap of nonsense, unless of course the rumors about American schooling system are true Sticking out tongue Anyway, the pledge and flag are a little too much. I've always had just a portrait of president in every class (who's just a representative guy compared to U.S. president) and I still live.

There's nothing wrong about sticking with the schedule, rules standards, it's an important skill to have. Of course, in America the standards are somewhat absurd, like the hysteria about sex and nudity, but America is a young nation and they're overenthusiastic about every nonsense. American schooling system is indeed inferior, my schooling system is statistically third best in the world and every Czech school degree means about one more degree in USA. A bachelor here is as good as american magister.

What can kids do to each other is much worse than what the system does to them. The system just leaves them as they are, as long as they keep with conventions. It's the school collective where there is sometimes the law of jungle. I never had to fight teachers with my fists or exchange taunts all day long with a director.

The schooling system is not completely bad, but with every new generation there's a room for improvement. With expansive economy ending up in disaster it is necessary to find a new purpose of life for children, not just employment somewhere.
Children should be taught some basics and then taught the art of self-realization and creative life, according to individual strengths and weaknesses. Of course, economy must change for that.
Hell, one my classmate is a good girl, she liked her job as a clerk at supermarket, meeting the people, talking with them, etc, you know, self-realization doesn't always have to be anything big. It only has to be yours.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:This video is a heap of nonsense !

Did you ever hear of Edward Bernays - Father of public relations - whose's uncle is Sigmund Freud.Check-out his work, shaping America the way that would be friendly to Capitalist. Or did you ever check out - Adam Curtis and his BBC shows check him out here - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Curtis

Signature ? How ?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:       

Ken G. wrote:

Did you ever hear of Edward Bernays - Father of public relations - whose's uncle is Sigmund Freud.Check-out his work, shaping America the way that would be friendly to Capitalist. Or did you ever check out - Adam Curtis and his BBC shows check him out here - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Curtis

The first video above was just nonsense, but when I look at this guy's work ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self ) it sounds like another of these 'know your enemy' documents.

People must be trained to desire, to want new things, even before the old have been entirely consumed.

Look, a sample of evil.
Within me there is a thrifty Czech soul and within that soul is the soul of an Indian ascetic yogi who abandoned all desire and hates waste of resources. I swear, I even shut off the monitor when I go away from the computer for a while.

People's relationships, hobbies, joy of learning from curiosity and self-development activities must replace consuming manufactured products.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Ken G. wrote: I've been

Ken G. wrote:

OK Ken, the reason why you can't embed this video is because that is not youtube. The embed code is still there, just in a different place on the page. That being said, I really would prefer if ebaumsworld were to shrivel up and die. The fact is that Eric Bauman is the scummy guy that your parents warned you about. Nearly all of the content on his site is taken without attribution from other web sites (after which he watermarks stuff so that when you find it somewhere else, you will think that he had a role beyond simply taking someone else's work and profiteering from it without the author's permission).

Luminon wrote:
This video is a heap of nonsense, unless of course the rumors about American schooling system are true Sticking out tongue

OK, I don't know what you have heard about our system. I would assume that it is either wildly exaggerated or does not go far enough. More likely the former.

That much having been said, one of the largest problems with out system is that we used to have a very different system but over time, we have allowed it to change, mostly in small ways but to a large cumulative effect.

For example, we have somehow brought our own culture to a standard where everyone has to feel that they need to cater to every possible special interest group out there. Even if said spacial interest group is really not out to help people so much as to grab a small slice of power over stuff.

One of the results of that process is that educational standards have been adjusted a bit here and a bit there so that more people could get through the system. Today, the situation is so bad that we pretty much just automatically advance kids a grade every year even if they have not demonstrated the ability to perform at grade level expectations.

So if some kid is no good at sports, we figure out how to get him a trophy in what amounts to no identifiable accomplishment. If a kid has not learned the material to pass a test, we find a way to statistically average the class grades so that he can be said to have performed to minimum expectations.

Then too, we have an old program that never went away when it should have. If a century ago, you father was crippled in a farming accident, it might be a matter of basic economics that the oldest male child would stop doing public school to work the family farm. That made a certain amount of sense back then.

However, today we allow any kid who flat out doesn't feel like finishing public school to stop going if that is what he feels like. The result of this is a permanent underclass of adults who can't even handle basic skills like how to multiply simple fractions.

One result of this is that for too many people who do end up going on to secondary education, the first year is all too often bringing them up to the educational standard that they need to be at. So yah, one can spend five years in American college getting a four year degree.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I couldn't watch the entire

I couldn't watch the entire video because of all the buffering but, from the first minute or so, I'd say it's right on the money.

Change in America
In America, it is easy to trace the beginnings of full public schools to the Industrial Revolution. With the outbreak of factories, owners needed cheap workers. Children provided a large supply of those workers. However, these schools were not made to educate the children to their fullest ability. The factories funded the schools, and intentionally set them up so that children learned to work in the large groups that factories needed. In addition, the whole purpose of the curriculum was to influence children into taking factory jobs. Even the very first fully public schools in America were extremely flawed.

As a bit of background, the industrial titans of the 1890's began to think that not only could the production line be engineered, but people's lives could be engineered as well, in order to work like homogeneous robots with the machines. Rockefeller and Carnegie gave huge sums to prominent academics to see if this could be realized through the educational system. They found that to a considerable extent it could, and it is still being done today as evidenced in the Congressional Record during the Clinton administration. This is the story that John Gatto has to tell.-DB)

I became aware of the Rockefeller's, Carnegie's and Edward Bernays when I was doing research on water fluoridation.

As for Bernays, he was THE propaganda Master of his day. He's the one who made it 'okay' for women to smoke, used people like Doctors, Dentists, Nurses, Movie Stars and even Presidents to advertise the benefits of smoking. He is also the one behind the massive advertising campaign promoting the 'benefits' of water fluoridation.

It's all true, we are brainwashed from birth.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: John Taylor Gatto has to tell

Yeah !  I saw Gatto last year on C-span's book tv and he really don't like schools,he said that,that way of teaching a child is harmful to the child and the society,it kills your critical thinking skills etc.  check out his talk . Wow what happened here ? I typed out the link in the box,but,it showed up where it says talk ? Anyway this guy was a teacher in NY city public school's for almost three decades,and teacher of the year 3 x's,quite impressive .

Signature ? How ?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene wrote: That's not youtube

Yes,I do know that much,thank you.That is why I googled "Human Herding Process"and saw that it was at ebaums world,I have no idea who he is ,however there was a funny video that showed a boxer,hit himself,when trying to upper cut the guy against the ropes.No my problem is that I can't find on my computer where it use to say ( Cut-Edit-Paste) .

Signature ? How ?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:    Yeah ! 

Ken G. wrote:

Yeah !  I saw Gatto last year on C-span's book tv and he really don't like schools,he said that,that way of teaching a child is harmful to the child and the society,it kills your critical thinking skills etc.  check out his talk . Wow what happened here ? I typed out the link in the box,but,it showed up where it says talk ? Anyway this guy was a teacher in NY city public school's for almost three decades,and teacher of the year 3 x's,quite impressive .

Quite impressive, indeed! I just stumbled upon him while looking for info to reply to your post and read his entire speech, then found his web site. Very smart man...he should be in charge of the National Department of Education.

...not people like Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, the Carnegie's and the Rockefeller's.

I'll watch the video you posted later tonight after I get my work done... looks good from what I watched so far. Thanks

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Very smart man...

Your quite welcome Sandy,anyway did you ever read or watch Noam Chomsky a Profesor at MIT his take on education is here   www.chomsky.info/books/warfare02.htm     he is really good on so many topic's,the New York Times list him as one of the smartest man alive,he can read over 1,250 words per minute he's up there with Shakesphere,but he 's still here. A very important individual. (in my humble opinion).    Ps.   I meet his brother by accident,SSI sent me to a DR. and it was David Chomsky ! I almost fell over.

Signature ? How ?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:     Your

Ken G. wrote:

Your quite welcome Sandy,anyway did you ever read or watch Noam Chomsky a Profesor at MIT his take on education is here   www.chomsky.info/books/warfare02.htm     he is really good on so many topic's,the New York Times list him as one of the smartest man alive,he can read over 1,250 words per minute he's up there with Shakesphere,but he 's still here. A very important individual. (in my humble opinion).    Ps.   I meet his brother by accident,SSI sent me to a DR. and it was David Chomsky ! I almost fell over.

I've heard of Chomsky from an athiest on another board several years ago but, I've never read any of his work... I'll watch the video you posted.

I just finished watching the Gatto video - WHAT AN INSPIRATION!

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: I'll watch the video you posted

Hi ! I,m sorry,but that link is not a video,it's a link from his web site,an excerpt from his book "Class Warfare". I'm currently listening to N.Chomsky on youtube about  " The role of the Educational System" very good,he say's that to get further in our society you got to do a lot of stupid stuff.      Wow, what a clown that 'Marc Tucker' letter to Hillary,and to think that our so-called leader's listen to people like him,I don't think that there was one mention of 'critical thinking skills' they want you not to think,very Orwellian if you ask me !  

Signature ? How ?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:      Hi !

Ken G. wrote:

Hi ! I,m sorry,but that link is not a video,it's a link from his web site,an excerpt from his book "Class Warfare". I'm currently listening to N.Chomsky on youtube about  " The role of the Educational System" very good,he say's that to get further in our society you got to do a lot of stupid stuff.      Wow, what a clown that 'Marc Tucker' letter to Hillary,and to think that our so-called leader's listen to people like him,I don't think that there was one mention of 'critical thinking skills' they want you not to think,very Orwellian if you ask me !  

I read the excerpt... I think I did read something of his before. I don't really get what he's saying, though. Maybe he's better to listen to. I'll find him on YouTube.

Yes, very Orwellian. You know, the more you know about the school system and what makes the government tick and who's really pulling the strings, the more sense everything makes. Like, why there are so many people in prison: it's simple, they're mostly people who refuse or, are unable to accept and conform to an un-natural system of controlling peoples lives. Anyone who bucks the system is condemned as being a terrorist, a nut or just plain anti-American. A world where insanity rules...  and the sane are criminals.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: I'll find him on YouTube.

In my humble opinon his 'Opus' is "Manufacturing Consent". I have one of his books right here, it's title "Understanding Power" he touches on all sort of topic's and on the back cover - from 'The Nation' "not to read (him) is to court genuine ignorance ". I just got from Amazon "Profit over People","Interventions"and his latest book "Hope's & Prospect's". Also check out his work "Nescessary Illusions".    

Signature ? How ?