Strange Conversation

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strange Conversation

I wish I had this on video because no one here is going to believe this one.

You'll get a kick out of this...

A neighbor stopped by 2 hours ago to see if I needed anything (we have snow and bad roads). This guy is...indescribable to begin with but, the more he talked the stranger things got.

He's about 7 years younger than me, lives with his mother, has never been married, has no responsibilities and hasn't ever had a 'real' job. He's a great mechanic but unreliable as hell. He was on crack for years, raced dirt bikes years ago and has the brain damage to prove it.

Anywhooo...

At some point he started telling me about the problem he is having with his fathers head stone at the cemetery - the dead neighbors relative says the stone is too close to the deceased and needs to be moved over 3'... which creates a problem because when his mother dies, she will be lying on the 'wrong' side of her husband.

I say I won't have that problem because I'll be cremated. To this he replies that if the body is cremated, it won't be available when Christ returns. I say I don't believe in all that...and tried to change the topic but, he kept on.

He says God created everything. Created woman from Adams rib because he didn't know how to create a woman- never made one before.

He said only humans have souls. I asked 'Why?'. He says because God made us that way. I said we are animals, too. Why don't other animals have souls? Answer: Because we were created after all the other animals and we are smarter than them. 

I tried to explain the common ancestor theory but, all he said to that was, 'If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?'

I show him one of my desktop pictures of a 3D spiral diagram of the Earths timeline. Flew right over his head. He asked how could all the planets be round and the Earth be in just the perfect axis (I pointed out that it's actually tilted) for life to live here if God didn't make it so. I mentioned gravity, evolution and such.

Now he starts talking about the Earth and how the core of the earth is a giant motor run on electricity and that gravity has nothing to do with it. He took a trip to Panama City to watch the tide on the beach to prove to himself that it's electricity, not gravity, that makes the tides come in and go out.

Then, it's on to volcanoes - they're a short in the electrical circuits.

By now I am in complete shock and all I can do is nod my head and decide it is best to simply agree with him.

What a night!

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:I tried to

Sandycane wrote:

I tried to explain the common ancestor theory but, all he said to that was, 'If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?'

Lol.

If Americans came from Europeans, why are there still Europeans?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
If man was made from dirt,

If man was made from dirt, why is there still dirt?

If you have a great grandfather who had more than one child, why do you have cousins?

People like that are too wacked to talk with rationally.  I usually say something, like, excuse me, I have work to do and don't have the time to talk with you now.  Bye <shuts door>.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

Regress in action!  Monkeys return!

It is a perfect question of how can we discuss religion topics with people who are brain dead with a fixation on Jesusomania?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: I don't have the time - excuse me bye !

YEP ! I have no time for people that are voluntarily insane .

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
In his defense, it was nice

In his defense, it was nice of him to check on me during the storm...even if he is whacked.

I do enjoy a challange, though. I can't help but wonder if it's at all possible to turn this guy into an atheist. When I have some spare time, I may just give it a shot.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Point

Ken G. wrote:

YEP ! I have no time for people that are voluntarily insane .

Not if its just he and I, for sure. Getting through to a guy like that sounds like torture to me - a torture that ends the same way it began. Only reason to mess with a guy like that or with anyone (alleged skeptics included) who has "firm opinions" and they have no clue as to why is to inform those around you. Otherwise it's just uncomfortable masturbation with no happy ending... I'll pass.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

My new favourite comeback to that is: "If God created man from dirt, then why is there still dirt?" Or, for your guy, if God created women from ribs then why are there still ribs?

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:In his

Sandycane wrote:

In his defense, it was nice of him to check on me during the storm...even if he is whacked.

I do enjoy a challange, though. I can't help but wonder if it's at all possible to turn this guy into an atheist. When I have some spare time, I may just give it a shot.

I guess it depends on how open that this dude would be to radically new ideas than what he has been taught. (Judging by your story, I am not sure that would be a possibility, although the fact that he did not turn hostile towards you might be a good indicator). I'd say start out slow and see how he reacts to it. If he listens, I'd keep going.

I have been unfortunate enough to encounter people that simply did not seem able to think about things any differently. Give them all the facts and the figures that you know and they will revert back to their original position every time. I have encountered people that are downright dangerous, when someone questions their belief system. If I see it is going to be one of those situations I choose to distance myself from them all together. I have no desire to try and discuss things with people who have the attitude of "I am gonna shoot you if you don't shut up,". Hehe, I had someone use a line like that on me one time.

"I BELIEVE IN GOD SO SHUT UP,". was his reply. To which I replied "Well, if that doesn't convince me of your reasonable, well thought and rational opinions I just don't know what will,".

The people that I usually make the most leeway with, are the ones that are claiming to be agnostic, or are just uncertain.   

The agnostic  and uncertain people, I have found, (or should I say, the people claiming to be agnostic) are generally people that seem to recognize the inherent foolishness of religious belief and see the absurdity of believing in god, but for the simple fear that there might be some chance of a god, choose to not go ahead and take up the Atheist banner. They would rather just say that they do not know. That way, at the last second, they can BECOME religious if they get afraid of death. Belief in god is a hopeful insurance policy for them.

However, every individual is different and it is hard to try and gauge how someone might behave. I say try it and see.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno