Anyone homebrew beer out there?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Anyone homebrew beer out there?

In a recent thread Nigel the Bold mentioned that he brews beer at home.  Something I used to do just before I got interested in religion/atheism online forums.  If you've ever brewed your own beer or wine feel free to discuss it in this thread.  I'm going to put some feelers out on twitter and facebook to see if we can find a few more homebrewers.  Maybe someday we can create a microbrewery/brewpub together!

This was how the discussion got started:

nigelTheBold wrote:

My dog got into my homebrew supplies yesterday and ate a 1 lb bag of dry malt extract. I was gonna use that to keg my beer this weekend. Now I have to go to the homebrew shop again.

So cool to know you're into homebrewing.  I used to homebrew and worked as a representative for several microbreweries when I was younger.  Lately after watching my ex-boss (Sam Calagione) on the new show Brewmasters I got re-interested in the hobby and beer itself.  I had been avoiding alcohol on my year long diet however I've adopted the one beer per night philosophy now.  

Shall we start a thread for this?  What type of beer are you working on now?

I have pictures of myself with Michael Jackson and Charlie Papazian, maybe I'll upload them for ya sometime soon.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:So cool to

Sapient wrote:

So cool to know you're into homebrewing.  I used to homebrew and worked as a representative for several microbreweries when I was younger.  Lately after watching my ex-boss (Sam Calagione) on the new show Brewmasters I got re-interested in the hobby and beer itself.  I had been avoiding alcohol on my year long diet however I've adopted the one beer per night philosophy now.  

Shall we start a thread for this?  What type of beer are you working on now?

I have pictures of myself with Michael Jackson and Charlie Papazian, maybe I'll upload them for ya sometime soon. 

I would love a thread dedicated to homebrew.

And you met Michael Jackson? And Charlie Papazian? Fucking awesome! I have exactly two heroes in life: Steve Wozniak, and Charlie Papazian. I was devastated when Michael Jackson died -- his reviews led me to so many different kinds of beers, it just ain't funny. Half of what I know about beer came from him, and the other half from Papazian.

I'm currently working on two specific beers: one is a Mac and Jack's clone, which I call "Last of the Fireflies Ale," because of the time of year I brew it (late summer). The second is one I call "Mean Porter," because I took as many Porter recipes as I could find, and averaged them. Now I'm tweaking it a bit, playing with different yeasts and hops, while leaving the grain bill as constant as I can.

The DME was to keg my current batch of Fireflies (which I should've kegged last weekend). It was in with a box of grain for my Mean Porter. I'm just really glad Roscoe didn't get into the grains; that would've pissed me off no end.

I really need to slow down on the beer. One a night would be a good rate -- I think you have it right. I'm attempting to get into shape now (though I swear to you I am never going to drink Muscle Milk -- how can you stand that stuff?)  Well, by "get into shape," I mean, "Not wheeze like a broken accordian as I climb the stairs."

Finally: there's a show called "Brewmasters"?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:I'm

nigelTheBold wrote:

I'm attempting to get into shape now (though I swear to you I am never going to drink Muscle Milk -- how can you stand that stuff?)

Drink it fast and treat yourself to something sweet along with it.  A chocolate protein bar or healthy granola bar works well.  Or just chase it with water.

Quote:
Finally: there's a show called "Brewmasters"?

The good news is you've only missed 3.  I believe there is one or two left in the season.

Catch up on Brewmasters here.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
With Charlie Papazian at a

With Charlie Papazian at a home brewing competition:

With Michael Jackson after the Book and the Cook at Monks Cafe, Philadelphia:

I was 22 at the time.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
We used to brew our own

We used to brew our own beer.  Not enough room at this house - I need to clean out the brown quart bottles and 5 gallon carboys.  No, really, no place to store it while it kicks.  So I make do with local microbrews - though a lot of them are selling out.

My personal favorite is a smooth brown ale.  My husband prefers the darker porters.  We decided we didn't like our brew as much when we pushed the alcohol content up.  So ours was usually right near 3.2.

A wonderful book we found in the alchemy section at the university library.  Really, alchemy.  It was a collection of beverage recipes from the 1930s.  What a lot of people don't realize is that during prohibition, the fizzy sweet drinks intended for children were 3.2.  They had not perfected injecting co2 without breaking the bottle.  So all fizzy drinks were made with yeast.  There was a recipe for root beer - made with many, many different herbs and roots.  And there was ginger beer.  Easiest thing in the world.  Boil lots of sliced ginger root, lemon slices, sugar.  Let kick for two days, add sugar to taste, drink.  It was supposed to be made in a big tub and dipped into at summer picnics.  Works fine bottled.  We once forgot we had some on the shelf and it kicked until it quit in the bottles.  We rediscovered it a year later - it was closer to a white wine.  Really good stuff.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

ShawnBerger
ShawnBerger's picture
User is offlineOffline
HomeBrew

I just brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago. I never realized how fun it is! I have been reading all kinds of recipies, and ways to brew. There is so much information and technics. Think I will keep it simple untill I find my own style and technic.

My girlfriends parents (from Finland) make wine, and Im dabbling in that as well....FUN FUN!!!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
ShawnBerger wrote:    I

ShawnBerger wrote:

I just brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago. I never realized how fun it is! I have been reading all kinds of recipies, and ways to brew. There is so much information and technics. Think I will keep it simple untill I find my own style and technic.

What style did you brew?  

My favorites are all Belgian.  Tripels are my favorite, followed by Dubbels and Witbeirs.  

Some of my all time faves, in some semblance of an order from favorite on down...

Duvel (any beer named after the Devil is an automatic like)

Scaldis

Affligem Tripel

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head

Raison D'etre from Dogfish Head

Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale

There are of course quite a few beers that match those styles, and you'd have a hard time finding one that I didn't like (if it matched those styles).

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:I'm

nigelTheBold wrote:

I'm currently working on two specific beers: one is a Mac and Jack's clone, which I call "Last of the Fireflies Ale," because of the time of year I brew it (late summer). The second is one I call "Mean Porter," because I took as many Porter recipes as I could find, and averaged them. Now I'm tweaking it a bit, playing with different yeasts and hops, while leaving the grain bill as constant as I can.

The heavy stouts and porters are the only styles I find myself staying away from.  The syrupy, rich, dark, bold, bitters, etc... all tend to slow me up, forcing me to drink much slower.  With the right accompaniment I could see having one.  I would find myself pairing something like that with a piece of double fudge chocolate cake... or something of the sort.  Do you pair yours with anything particular?  

I find myself fantasizing often about an espresso or coffee type stout/porter that would pair well with desert.  In all my tastings I've never had one that fits the bill.  Anyone know of a match?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh oh oh oh (Jumps up like

Oh oh oh oh (Jumps up like Arnold Horseshack) Can I be your official taste tester"

I'l even dress up like a lovable mascot.

I'd brew beer myself, but when I was kid and played in the kitchen, well, lets just put it this way, It is bullshit that a meteor caused the death of the dinos.

I am a Yingling fan and like black and tans. From the pictures it looks like you brew pale. Have you ever brewed dark?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:My favorites

Sapient wrote:

My favorites are all Belgian.  Tripels are my favorite, followed by Dubbels and Witbeirs.  

Some of my all time faves, in some semblance of an order from favorite on down...

I'm Belgian. I love American tourists coming here.

American tourist : "Hey kid, what's a really good beer ? Nothing too strong, mind."

Me : "Try a Duvel....that's kinda like budweiser "

American tourist : "Thanks !"

Me : "You gotta drink it through a straw. It's a tradition."

Fun !

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of my best friends is

One of my best friends is the head chef at this place: http://www.artisanstomsriver.com/ ...which is also a brew pub. If anyone finds themselves in south/central NJ... I *highly* reccomend this place, for both food, and beverage.

Duvel is a great beer... it's actually like drinking *3* Budweisers...that is, if Bud didn't suck.

This is my personal Fav: http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=160 ....I love a Hefeweizen ... I also enjoy this: http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17419

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Ahhh Rich.... that smooth

Ahhh Rich.... that smooth German wheat beer.  It's what American shit beer could be if it wasn't shit beer.  Those are all good.  I had always liked the Paulaner but the two you picked are great. Do you drink the Belgian equivalent?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Sapient

Anonymouse wrote:

Sapient wrote:

I'm Belgian. I love American tourists coming here.

American tourist : "Hey kid, what's a really good beer ? Nothing too strong, mind."

Me : "Try a Duvel....that's kinda like budweiser "

American tourist : "Thanks !"

Me : "You gotta drink it through a straw. It's a tradition."

Fun !

Good story.  But aren't you just supposed to say Chimay Red and let their journey end there?

On that Duvel I would just pour it in a cylindrical glass and give them 90% head.  I want to see them with a white nose on every sip of nothing but head.

A glass something like this:

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, I have done a few

Well, I have done a few batches of extract brewing. From a kit that has everything in one box. That was a huge pain in the ass for marginal results.

It took a couple or three weeks to get two gallons of what was, in the end, about as creative as making a cake from a cardboard box. If you follow the directions, then pretty much nothing will go really wrong but that does not mean that it will go right either. That and the production rate is low enough that it simply cannot take me “off the grid” for buying the nice microbrews that I can buy a few hundred varieties of two blocks from my apartment.

I would love to get back into the craft but only if I could do it in a way that I could really do the job on my own. That and I would have to make some marginal batches so that I could learn what really does not work because using a recipe is only marginally better than buying a can of what someone else thinks will make a good beer.

That much being said, I find it much easier to make my own vinegars. You don't need much in the way of equipment for that and you really only need to make a few bottles a year to do it right. Just find some cheap unpasteurized and unfiltered vinegar with slimy shit floating in it. The slimy shit is the active culture.

You don't need expensive wine (actually, that is kind of a waste because the stronger flavors in cheap wine make a better IMHO product). Just don't get wine so cheap that it has a screw cap. Wine that is properly corked will not have anywhere near the level of preservatives which will kill the culture.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, I have done a few batches of extract brewing. From a kit that has everything in one box. That was a huge pain in the ass for marginal results.

It took a couple or three weeks to get two gallons of what was, in the end, about as creative as making a cake from a cardboard box. If you follow the directions, then pretty much nothing will go really wrong but that does not mean that it will go right either. That and the production rate is low enough that it simply cannot take me “off the grid” for buying the nice microbrews that I can buy a few hundred varieties of two blocks from my apartment.

I would love to get back into the craft but only if I could do it in a way that I could really do the job on my own. That and I would have to make some marginal batches so that I could learn what really does not work because using a recipe is only marginally better than buying a can of what someone else thinks will make a good beer.

Who uses a recipe?  We never did.  A bag of the color of malt you want, maybe some caramelized whole barley, we liked fresh hops better than dried and had a hop vine in our yard at the time, boil, strain, add yeast, let kick.  Strain again, put into bottles, adding a very little yeast to each bottle, cap.  Every batch was an experiment, every batch was different, and like nothing the local microbrews produce.  It was fun.  I seldom use a recipe when cooking, either.

Addendum: careful growing your own hops.  Some varieties are well behaved.  The one we had was an invasive weed.

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

That much being said, I find it much easier to make my own vinegars. You don't need much in the way of equipment for that and you really only need to make a few bottles a year to do it right. Just find some cheap unpasteurized and unfiltered vinegar with slimy shit floating in it. The slimy shit is the active culture.

You don't need expensive wine (actually, that is kind of a waste because the stronger flavors in cheap wine make a better IMHO product). Just don't get wine so cheap that it has a screw cap. Wine that is properly corked will not have anywhere near the level of preservatives which will kill the culture.

We forgot about a carboy of beer once.  Sat in the basement for over a year before we found it.  It went to vinegar - the nicest malt vinegar you could wish for.  My son, who was once stationed in England, said it was better than any vinegar he had there, too.

You can start with regular filtered vinegar as well.  Just buy a packet of yeast and add it and your wine.  I am fairly sure it is not regular bread yeast, so you may want to research which kind of yeast would work best.  If you have a brew supply near by, the guys may know and may have some on hand.  You are not the only one who likes to make vinegar.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, I really would

Well, I really would rather not use a recipie. As a fairly successful cook (40+ years behind the stove), I view recipes as tools for those who do not know how to cook. That much being said, I really don't know how to make beer and I would need something of a jump start.

I bought both of the Papazian books and read through them but not at the same time as I had there gear, so I was not able to do all that much when I had them.

As far as making an accidental batch of malt vinegar goes, I doubt that your yeast was at fault. If I remember Papazian correctly, the sludge in the bottom of the bottles of good monastery brewed ale is live yeast that has gone dormant from the alcohol content. If yeast could do that, then a good number of bottles of that stuff would go over before it was sold.

Most probably, it was your hops that did the job. You see, to make vinegar, you need acetobacter xylinum which is a member of the domain prokaryote/bacteria kingdom. Brewers yeast is a member of the domain eukaryote/fungus kingdom.

Since yours grows outdoors, it was almost certainly infected with acetobacter. In fact, if you don't want to hunt down a grody looking bottle of vinegar, then find someone who grows grapes. Just before the harvest, bring two wine bottles, one of them empty and a funnel. Pour the wine over the grapes on the vine and into the empty bottle and you should have a decent source of acetobacter. Purpose bought yeast should be reasonably free of acetobacter contamination (by reasonably free, I mean so free that you can expose whatever is in the container to a food source and it will not develop, so pretty much lab grade pure).

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=