4 years new to this lol

realisticthinker
User is offlineOffline
4 years new to this lol

Hello everyone,

My name is Amanda, I have been apart of this website for four years, but haven't really done any conversing. I grew up an extreme mix of Moravian and Catholic. This in it's own was enough to drive me away from the church. However, I tried to to conform to the "norm" and go to church every Sunday. The problem was every week I went, the more questions I had. When I confronted my minister, I was dumbfounded in her answers. She basically was good with words, not so good at answering my questions. 

That's when I met someone very knowledgeable with the bible, religion, and rational thought. I had already proclaimed myself as an atheist before hand, but his knowledge amazed me, and he led me to this site. I am not much of a debater, and I am not interested in getting a whole bunch of people in trying to convert me. I may add in my own two sense her and there, but don't expect a lot. I am more interested in the psychlogical side of reading the debates. It's very interesting to me to see how people react in debate, and how opposite, yet so alike some people may be.

So enough rambling, hello, and nice to meet everyone!

Amanda

realisticthinker
User is offlineOffline
spelling

two cents...lol 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello and welcome for your

Hello and welcome for your first post.  My husband doesn't like to debate, either.  I don't know why I do - most often I get frustrated, not jazzed by the discussion.  Maybe I'm just living up to my grade school nickname - Ms. Know It All. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! 

Welcome!

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weclome Amanda

Welcome aboard Amanda. If your wanting to get a better psychological grasp on the debating aspects, I think you've come to the right place. If your looking to find more information and thought-provoking ideas, you have come to the right place.

I hope that you enjoy this place as much as I do.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello, Amanda.You were with

Hello, Amanda.

You were with the Moravian Brothers church? I think my little cousin was baptisted by them after birth. (but nothing more than that Sticking out tongue ) Where are you from, you're not the local usual variety of American Bible belt atheist dissident, are you?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you been involved with

Have you been involved with this website for 4 years or just the atheist community in general for 4 years. If you have been reading the posts here for 4 years, why didn't you post before?

The reason I ask is because when I first sought out other atheists on line, I had this stupid lingering needless indoctrinated fear left over from my theism that caused me to think in the back of my mind, "What if I am joining a devil cult?"

Welcome in any case.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
On behalf

Luminon wrote:

Hello, Amanda.

Where are you from, you're not the local usual variety of American Bible belt atheist dissident, are you?

Hehe. Amanda, nothing to worry about if your turn out to be that usual variety of Bible Belt Atheist Dissidents, which I happen to be one. Born and raised in Jew Jersey, a long way from the Bible Belt, but I have been under this American Taliban Regime for a few years now and can tell you that the Bible belt breeds some intense Atheist Dissidents like myself.

Judging by our original post though, I would think not. But not too worry, membership in the American Bible Belt Atheist Dissident Army is free and open to everyone who wishes to be a member.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi

Hi

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Have you been

Brian37 wrote:

Have you been involved with this website for 4 years or just the atheist community in general for 4 years. If you have been reading the posts here for 4 years, why didn't you post before?

The reason I ask is because when I first sought out other atheists on line, I had this stupid lingering needless indoctrinated fear left over from my theism that caused me to think in the back of my mind, "What if I am joining a devil cult?"

Welcome in any case.

Wait. Aren't we a devil cult? I thought we were a devil cult!

I'm glad you're finally posting, Amanda. Welcome.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

realisticthinker
User is offlineOffline
well...

This is kind of a response to all. I am from Catasauqua PA. I have been apart of this site for about four years, through an ex of mine. I haven't posted because when we broke up it made everything uncomfortable to me. I have declared? myself an atheist since age 12. I am really slow to this responding stuff, and I think that there is nothing more interesting then people and their reactions. Especially when either religion or politics become involved.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Catty/Allentown

realisticthinker wrote:

This is kind of a response to all. I am from Catasauqua PA. I have been apart of this site for about four years, through an ex of mine. I haven't posted because when we broke up it made everything uncomfortable to me. I have declared? myself an atheist since age 12. I am really slow to this responding stuff, and I think that there is nothing more interesting then people and their reactions. Especially when either religion or politics become involved.

I've been through the area near Allentown, but never through Catty itself. "Catty" seeming to be a bit of an insider's joke, kinda like Wilkes Barre, PA. You can always tell when someone is not from that area of the country, when you hear them refer to the last name as "BAR" like the beer joints, rather than "Bury or berry" like it's really pronounced. A fact that most Wilkes Barre locals will correct. Welcome aboard.

― Giordano Bruno

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, Amanda.

Pleased to meet you.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Brian.

Brian37 wrote:

Welcome in any case.

I'm sure there are many theists out there who think you are a high priest of all this devilish outcry.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck