Dilemma

BeyondForlorn
Superfan
BeyondForlorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dilemma

Okay, basically, to start off, I should mention that I live in a very small town where everyone knows and talks about everyone, and I hate it. Next, it's in the Bible Belt, where being an atheist is looked at as being Satan himself. Now, I've had a few decent jobs throughout high school, and the little bit of college I did, but recently it's obviously been incredibly tough to find a job.

Until recently, I hadn't had a job since August of 2009. Well, there was a new movie store opening up here about 2 months ago and I applied and was hired. I worked building the shelves and setting up all of the movies and everything, getting ready to open the store after two weeks. Well, the day before we were set to open, I was driving home from work and I got a call from them saying I was being let go. I asked for a reason, but she would not give me one, and she doesn't have to in the state of Georgia, unfortunately. This came as quite a surprise to me because I worked pretty hard and put up more shelves than anyone else, and there was no reason to let me go based on performance, as we hadn't even started our actual job yet. Well, it turns out this actually came two days after one of my co-workers found out I was an atheist. Perhaps just a coincidence? Absolutely. It all does seem fishy, but no reason to jump the gun just yet.

Moving on, I luckily found another job at a restaurant less than a week later. I did all the necessary steps to get on board and get started in my training, and the training went fast because I've worked at two restaurants before, and I'm generally pretty experienced with food services. My boss made it very apparent that she was a Christian. She wore crosses, and had Christian-type stuff at her desk in her office, and everyone knew she was a big time Christian, as did I. A few of the employees knew I was an atheist, and actually told me not to let the boss know, because she's super religious. I agreed, even though I laughed and told them it was illegal to discriminate based on my religious beliefs, but I just left it at that, and made no mention of religion again.

Well, after I was finished with my training, which went well, as everyone told me I learned very fast, I waited on them to put me on the schedule the next week. Well, they only put me on the schedule one day, and I was obviously disappointed, but I figured if I showed I could handle working by myself they'd give me more days on the schedule the next week. I waited until my day to work, but saw they took me off the schedule. They gave me the excuse that they wanted to give me one more day of training at closing time to make sure I knew how to close properly, so I didn't work that night, and they told me to wait until the next schedule came out. Well, I reluctantly did, and the following week I wasn't on the schedule at all. I asked them about it and they gave me another excuse, saying that they can't have me train during the week of Thanksgiving. I was pretty pissed, but I had no choice but to go with it.

The next week came, and they yet again left me off the schedule. I tried to dial the number as calmly as possible to ask why I wasn't on the schedule that week either, and they told me that they aren't allowed to train anyone on their last week of the period. Yet another fucking excuse. Just stringing me the fuck along. I just made sure they knew I needed this job and I needed to work to pay my bills. They told me they understood and left it at that. Of course, here comes the new schedule, which came out last night. Of course I wasn't on it. I called up there and as soon as she figured out who it was she said she'd call me right back. I waited. Nothing. Finally, 6 hours later, I get a call back saying they were going to have to let me go. Of course, she didn't have a reason prepared for me either.

Obviously, people up there talk, and I'm sure the fact that I'm an atheist was brought up at some point. Any way to actually prove it? No. I still suspect discrimination is the root of it all though. All the circumstances just seem very fucked up, if you ask me. Now I don't know how I'm going to get another job with these last two failures of jobs on my resume. It's certainly going to make it very difficult. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I need to get the fuck out of this town, and get far, far away from this state. The only problem with that is I need money for that first, so I'm basically stuck in a black hole. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
tl;dr  but if you got

tl;dr

but if you got fired I think you have a right to know why so ask

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 I hope you don't mind but

I hope you don't mind but I added some paragraph breaks in your story which not many people would read had I not added them.  It makes a story very hard to read without them.  It sounds like they fucked you over because they are Christians who have superior morals like love thy neighbor, not sure how else to read it.  Hang in there!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you have relatives?What

Do you have relatives?

What is your current living situation?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BeyondForlorn
Superfan
BeyondForlorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

tl;dr

but if you got fired I think you have a right to know why so ask

Like I said, it's 'at will' employment, so they technically don't have to give me a reason, as dumb as that is.

"Nocturnal majesty, Sworn to black we'll always be."

BeyondForlorn
Superfan
BeyondForlorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: I hope you

Sapient wrote:

I hope you don't mind but I added some paragraph breaks in your story which not many people would read had I not added them.  It makes a story very hard to read without them.  

Thanks.

Sapient wrote:

It sounds like they fucked you over because they are Christians who have superior morals like love thy neighbor, not sure how else to read it.  Hang in there!

Most definitely, but what can you do, right?

BeyondForlorn
Superfan
BeyondForlorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Do you

butterbattle wrote:

Do you have relatives?

I'm 21, I live with my mom. She's trying to get me out of her house though, and I'm trying to get out. It's almost impossible to do that right now though. I'm considering the Air Force once I lose the necessary weight, which could very well take me 3+ months.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
BeyondForlorn wrote:I'm 21,

BeyondForlorn wrote:
I'm 21, I live with my mom. She's trying to get me out of her house though, and I'm trying to get out. It's almost impossible to do that right now though. I'm considering the Air Force once I lose the necessary weight, which could very well take me 3+ months.

Ooohh, that's tough. I guess you really don't have many resources. I recently joined Air Force ROTC myself (I hope I can make the cut...). Good luck with that.

Have you considered getting an online job? Like....maybe an online tutor?    

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I would look for call center

I would look for call center jobs those are usually easy to get.

I wouldn't recommend military service, unless you're desperate for a job or really want to.

BeyondForlorn
Superfan
BeyondForlorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Ooohh,

butterbattle wrote:

Ooohh, that's tough. I guess you really don't have many resources. I recently joined Air Force ROTC myself (I hope I can make the cut...). Good luck with that.

Not a lot. Good luck to yourself, also. The Air Force seems like the place to be at this point. They pay you to learn and start a career. Yes, please.

butterbattle wrote:

Have you considered getting an online job? Like....maybe an online tutor?    

Actually, no. How does that work? I'm not too experienced or knowledgeable in that area.

BeyondForlorn
Superfan
BeyondForlorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I would

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I would look for call center jobs those are usually easy to get.

Well, there's really not much of anything anywhere around here to even consider.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I wouldn't recommend military service, unless you're desperate for a job or really want to.

The Air Force actually isn't all that bad. They pay you to start your career. I can do anything from electronics, to working with computers, to being a scientist. It's very good retirement too. They're the higher end branch of service, in my honest opinion.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
BeyondForlorn wrote:The Air

BeyondForlorn wrote:

The Air Force actually isn't all that bad. They pay you to start your career. I can do anything from electronics, to working with computers, to being a scientist. It's very good retirement too. They're the higher end branch of service, in my honest opinion.

My oldest son is in the Air Force - has over 20 years in.  He is looking to get out but the job market right now..... Anyhoo, he likes it, obviously, and has a nice life, got to see a lot of the world.  He is not a small person, but was skinny enough as a young man he got no hassle over weight.  He's weather and computers.  He was a little disappointed that he got weather instead of computers, until I pointed out to him that weather always has the latest and greatest computers. 

If you are a neat and tidy person, like to be spiff, you will be more than halfway there.  If you are a slob, you might want to work on that as well as on the weight.  Good luck. 

As for getting a job in a tiny town with no reliable transportation or no money to get out, I understand the black hole sensation.  Been there myself a time or two.  Does Georgia have a state labor department?  They might have advice - yes, I know about at will employment.  I've worked in states with that kind of law all my life.  That doesn't mean you have to be discriminated against.  It may be a bust, but you have nothing to lose to talk to them.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. For some reason, I'm

Lol. For some reason, I'm guessing your town doesn't have very many call centers.

BeyondForlorn wrote:
Actually, no. How does that work? I'm not too experienced or knowledgeable in that area.

I actually don't know a ton about it myself. Sorry. 

Online tutoring probably wasn't the best example either. You really need a degree and possibly training to have a good chance of snagging a position on the best websites, like www.tutorvista.com and www.tutor.com. But, still, there are opportunities available. 

Many sites on the web are complete scams, so we really have to be careful. But, there are some out there that it seems like you can actually make money with, such as www.projectpayday.com or www.legitonlinejobs.com or paid surveys in general. Of course, the claims on these kinds of sites are generally exaggerated (a lot) or completely incorrect, and the difference between a scam and a legitimate opportunity often becomes blurred.

The bottom line is, there are ways to make good money online, but it requires work. As the cliche goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
BeyondForlorn

BeyondForlorn wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Do you have relatives?

Air Force isn't a bad choice. I spent a spell with the Marines to get away from my parents. Didn't get rich from it, I left the service with substantially less money and a lot more debt than I went in with.

Americans tend to have an exaggerated view of how much money is needed to survive. You really don't need much to get by day to day especially if you have a car you can sleep in. As a young male you shouldn't have much trouble getting temporary work if you drive to any major city. Get up early, show up at a temp jobs company REALLY early in the morning and you can work that day. While doing that you can make many contacts with potential employers. If you are working hard and take some time to socialize with the supervisors (and if possible get their phone numbers and spend non-work time with them) you should be able to meet someone who can hook you up with a decent job either working for them or someone they know. Getting a good job is FAR more about who you know than your actual resume and qualifications. You can have the best work experience with the best references but the person with the personal connection will get the job.

It is a damn uncomfortable life for awhile living day to day without a job but it can be done. Keeping yourself uncomfortable will give you motivation to get better jobs. If you allow yourself to become comfortable with your current situation you are far less likely to change it. So if you really want out of the house, just leave. With none of the comforts of a home your creativity will kick in to find a way to get them back.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
BeyondForlorn wrote:I'm 21,

BeyondForlorn wrote:

I'm 21, I live with my mom. She's trying to get me out of her house though, and I'm trying to get out. It's almost impossible to do that right now though. 

Did you consider a state college?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good luck Beyond

Being young and starting out is tough. Kind thoughts, mate.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Air

Beyond Saving wrote:

Air Force isn't a bad choice. I spent a spell with the Marines to get away from my parents. Didn't get rich from it, I left the service with substantially less money and a lot more debt than I went in with.

Americans tend to have an exaggerated view of how much money is needed to survive. You really don't need much to get by day to day especially if you have a car you can sleep in. As a young male you shouldn't have much trouble getting temporary work if you drive to any major city. Get up early, show up at a temp jobs company REALLY early in the morning and you can work that day. While doing that you can make many contacts with potential employers. If you are working hard and take some time to socialize with the supervisors (and if possible get their phone numbers and spend non-work time with them) you should be able to meet someone who can hook you up with a decent job either working for them or someone they know. Getting a good job is FAR more about who you know than your actual resume and qualifications. You can have the best work experience with the best references but the person with the personal connection will get the job.

It is a damn uncomfortable life for awhile living day to day without a job but it can be done. Keeping yourself uncomfortable will give you motivation to get better jobs. If you allow yourself to become comfortable with your current situation you are far less likely to change it. So if you really want out of the house, just leave. With none of the comforts of a home your creativity will kick in to find a way to get them back.

Excellent advice, imo!

A: military or, B: live out of your vehicle for a while

I would have to say, at 21, with the economy the way it is, the military sounds like the best choice.

I live in a small town just like yours. I don't tell anyone I am an atheist. I love my home and the area and it is more important to me to maintain a good relationship with my neighbors (especially since I have decided to open a retail business) than to wear my atheism as a badge. There are some things you don't need to discuss with others: religion, sex and politics are the main topics - if you want to keep the peace.

If someone I run into gets religious on me, I just smile and nod...and say to myself: 'You poor deluded sap'.

Like I said, at 53, after spending  most of my life living in the fast lane in the big cities, I'm happy as a clam where I live now. You, on the other hand, at 21, need to get the hell out of there and see the world. Go to where the opportunities are.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

BeyondForlorn
Superfan
BeyondForlorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks all, for the advice.

Thanks all, for the advice. It will be carefully considered. Though, I'm liking the idea of the Air Force giving me a "second chance", so to speak. You see, I tried the whole college thing right after I graduated high school and I was a lot less mature then and only cared about partying. Needless to say, I rarely made it to class, and wound up flunking all of my classes my first semester and was put on academic probation. I was gung-ho to get things back on track the next semester, but alas, structured academia was not for me when I could just go party when I very well pleased. I wound up on academic suspension, and completely fucked my gpa up. Now, mind you, I was never really a poor student, even though I flunked out of college. I actually scored fairly high on my SATs, and got a 690 on the maths portion, and was even more proficient at science. I probably would have done at least as equally well as I did on maths if the SATs had a science part. Fortunately, I've done a little growing up and I want to give this whole higher education thing another shot, and through the Air Force seems to be my best bet. As far as me living out of my car and meeting new people goes, though, I don't see that working out for me very well. I'm a very introverted and shy kind of person. Well, that's my whole dumb life story. I think I totally just convinced myself that I'm going to the Air Force.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think anyone who has never

I think anyone who has never fucked up, must be a very boring person.

Best of luck to you in the Air Force. Remember the life lessons you learned in college and don't make the same mistakes again,  and you'll do well.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man, I didn't really party

Man, I didn't really party at all my freshman year. I kind of wish I had, even if it would have hurt my gpa. Well, actually, my gpa's not doing that good right now anyways.....whatever.