Giving Thanks This Thnanksgiving

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
Posts: 410
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
Giving Thanks This Thnanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. This year I have recently been given something to be thankful for. You see, as a skeptic and an atheist I try to maintain an open mind. I frequently remind myself that I could be wrong about a host of subjects, including my disbelief in alien visitations, the Loch Ness monster, bigfoot, and even gods. I try to stay open to new information that would prove any of these subjects, and many others. The big "What If?" if you will.

But aid in my doubt came from an unexpected source this year, and just before Thanksgiving. Coincidence? Of course it is. But nevertheless, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to that source.

Lee2216, in my moment of doubt you have really came through for me in giving me not one, but two proofs against the existence of god. Now I can sleep well knowing that since everything must have a creator that there is no infinitely powerful god, because that god would have to have a creator more powerful than it, and so on Ad infinitum. And you also showed me that any god would wind down in heat death through the drain of entropy.

You have restored my faithlessness, Lee2216, and I do appreciate it. Now I feel renewed, invigorated, and more confident to carry the message of atheism to even more people.  I can only hope that your Thanksgiving has been as enlightening as my own. 

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Lol.Happy thanksgiving

Lol.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi DESD

Hi DESD,

You can't wish anybody thanks giving since consistently speaking, you do not know what it means to be thankful as an atheist. All you have are fragments of nothing and there is no whole for you to piece anything together into knowledge

And since you are an atheist, you have nobody to give thanksgiving to except yourself. Even then, if you want to be consistent you must be a babbling robot with no program. Just meaningless everything.

BUT, you did cross over to my side for your means of knowing. Thus you used Christ and Christianity to wish all a happy thanksgiving. And that's fine, but why don't you come over on my side all the way and put the finger down.

I can say this via logic.

Happy Thanksgiving

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
Posts: 410
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
Well, since I am self aware

Well, since I am self aware and understand the concept of thanks, I actually can be thankful to others. And since I am unfettered by the concept of a tyrannical sky demon watching over me to judge my actions, I can surpass a theist in that my thanks is honest and not the product of coercion.

I used a computer keyboard to give thanks, not an oiled corpse (Christ) or the goofy teachings of Paul that you pretend to be Xtianity, but again, thanks for offering us proof that gods don't exist.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
The Loch Ness Monster

I was more disappointed to find out that the Loch Ness Monster may not exist than I was to find out Santa Claus did not exist when I was a kid.  I mean, the idea of the Nessie being out there was just way to cool, but alas, the whole thing looks to be nothing more than fancy imagination. Oh well, Bigfoot and Little Green Men, Spirits, Demons, and even God do not interest me, but NESSIE, I wanted Nessie to be real.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
Posts: 410
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I was

harleysportster wrote:

I was more disappointed to find out that the Loch Ness Monster may not exist than I was to find out Santa Claus did not exist when I was a kid. 

The loss of Santa didn't bother me as a kid, but UFO's, Bigfoot, Nessie, and pretty much anything of that ilk fascinated me. Even in my late teens the thought of a Gigantopithecus  or related biped roaming the American woods was still appealing.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I know (sigh)

I held on to the idea that something could be roaming out there for as long as I could. Even hated the people that overwhelmingly demonstrated  the chances of anything out there existing were pretty much nil, but I finally had to give it up.

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Ken G.
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:Happy Thanksgiving

    Yes indeed ! I thank the donor and his family for my new Liver,this is a real 2nd chance at Life.   

Signature ? How ?


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi DESD,

You can't wish anybody thanks giving since consistently speaking, you do not know what it means to be thankful as an atheist. All you have are fragments of nothing and there is no whole for you to piece anything together into knowledge

And since you are an atheist, you have nobody to give thanksgiving to except yourself. Even then, if you want to be consistent you must be a babbling robot with no program. Just meaningless everything.

BUT, you did cross over to my side for your means of knowing. Thus you used Christ and Christianity to wish all a happy thanksgiving. And that's fine, but why don't you come over on my side all the way and put the finger down.

I can say this via logic.

Happy Thanksgiving

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

 

Dear Jean,

You have stepped on my last nerve.  Are you jacking off when you tell us we are going to hell?  Does the thought of torture and screaming and fire turn you on?  Sicko.

I would like to write about my reasons for being thankful this year, but I won't.  I don't need any shit from you and the jacking off thing is seriously creepy, dude.

Sincerely and without respect,

CJ

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:  Dear Jean,You

cj wrote:

 

 

 

Dear Jean,

You have stepped on my last nerve.  Are you jacking off when you tell us we are going to hell?  Does the thought of torture and screaming and fire turn you on?  Sicko.

I would like to write about my reasons for being thankful this year, but I won't.  I don't need any shit from you and the jacking off thing is seriously creepy, dude.

Sincerely and without respect,

CJ

 

  No offense, but I don't understand the serious effort that many of you put into replying to theist trolls like jean.  Do you think that this Christian comedian is interested in anything besides yanking your collective chains ?   He's trolling the hell out you guys and yet you keep attempting to get a serious answer from him.   How's that going for you so far ?

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
Posts: 328
Joined: 2010-11-23
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:Lee2216, in

Desdenova wrote:

Lee2216, in my moment of doubt you have really came through for me in giving me not one, but two proofs against the existence of god. Now I can sleep well knowing that since everything must have a creator that there is no infinitely powerful god, because that god would have to have a creator more powerful than it, and so on Ad infinitum. And you also showed me that any god would wind down in heat death through the drain of entropy.

Bearing false witness is see! I am not the least bit suprised! Since you have no truth to stand on you have to twist peoples words around and take them out of context. If you could only understand the simple concept of what Eternal means. Eternal means having infinite duration, everlasting, a timeless state. God is everlasting therefore He was not created. Everything else in the universe BESIDES God was created. The atheist has no capability to reason or use logic in the most basic sense as evidenced in these forums. Oh, I'd also like to thank you all for saving me some cash. I don't have to go spend my money at the comedy club anymore, I can just stay in the comfort of my own home and get cheap laughs.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:cj

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

cj wrote:

Sincerely and without respect,

CJ

  No offense, but I don't understand the serious effort that many of you put into replying to theist trolls like jean.  Do you think that this Christian comedian is interested in anything besides yanking your collective chains ?   He's trolling the hell out you guys and yet you keep attempting to get a serious answer from him.   How's that going for you so far ?

 

At first, I think we all gave him the benefit of the doubt - as in he might be worth debating.  Now, I am positive he is no better and certainly worse than a lot of the so called "philosophers" who show up here thinking we will be easy pickings.  At this point, I feel that if I don't start calling him out, we will be stuck with him for much longer - hopefully, he will tick enough people off he gets banned or at least labeled "troll".

Sincerely and respectfully,

 

CJ

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
Posts: 410
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote: If you could

Lee2216 wrote:

 If you could only understand the simple concept of what Eternal means. Eternal means having infinite duration, everlasting, a timeless state. God is everlasting therefore He was not created. Everything else in the universe BESIDES God was created.

Well yes, I understand what eternal means. So everything within the universe is finite. But the thought is that the universe may be eternal, once again excluding the need for an invisible sky fairy. If only you fundies had the mental capacity to comprehend such an idea it would spare you all a lot of looking foolish amongst your more intelligent and open minded peers.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Happy Genocide Day!

Wasn't this alleged day of union between the American Indians and the settlers followed shortly by the near irradication of the entirity of the indian population? Thanks Indians, we're glad you died real good for us!

I'll keep that particular celebration out of my house. I'd rather celebrate the birth of an imaginary being.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
No offense, but I don't understand the serious effort that many of you put into replying to theist trolls like jean.  

Agreed, he's just baiting and probably gets a real rush from getting people mad enough to call him names. I guess some power is better than no power at all.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Wasn't this

marcusfish wrote:

Wasn't this alleged day of union between the American Indians and the settlers followed shortly by the near irradication of the entirity of the indian population? Thanks Indians, we're glad you died real good for us!

I'll keep that particular celebration out of my house. I'd rather celebrate the birth of an imaginary being.

 

See Lies My History Teacher Told Me.  The American Indian population was already decimated by European diseases when the first European settlers showed up - probably brought by some of the early sailor explorers who didn't settle permanently.

It was the depression of the 1930s and President Roosevelt who got our current holiday formulated - trying to get people to count blessings instead of failed banks, I suppose.  And to our Canadian friends, I don't know which came first, their Thanksgiving, or the one in the US, but they are probably not on the same day because we don't want to be copying each other, do we? 

Regardless of the antecedents, I like turkey, I have it more than twice a year usually, and I like to acknowledge friends and family.  A big dinner is fun, too.  I can't change the past or I would .......

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Changing The Past

cj wrote:

A big dinner is fun, too.  I can't change the past or I would .......

Can't argue with that, I loves me some foodles!

The Thanksgiving event generally surrounds the union of settlers and indians. Who started the tradition is not relevant to the topic at hand. No matter what indian population remained by the time the whites started exterminating them... they started exterminating them. None of us can change the past but I to push back from traditions celebrating genocide.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
The Concept of Eternity

Lee2216 wrote:

Bearing false witness is see! I am not the least bit suprised! Since you have no truth to stand on you have to twist peoples words around and take them out of context. If you could only understand the simple concept of what Eternal means. Eternal means having infinite duration, everlasting, a timeless state. God is everlasting therefore He was not created. Everything else in the universe BESIDES God was created. The atheist has no capability to reason or use logic in the most basic sense as evidenced in these forums. Oh, I'd also like to thank you all for saving me some cash. I don't have to go spend my money at the comedy club anymore, I can just stay in the comfort of my own home and get cheap laughs.

No ability to use reason and logic ? None at all ? You make the claim that there is quite a bit of evidence for that naked assertion right here in these forums, care to make some specific examples ? Or is it just easier to make generalizations and try to put everyone that does not think exactly like you in some sort of box ? From where do you get the authority that you have the monoply over reason and logic ? The Bible ? Hmm funny how so many people take a useless book of fables and stories and twist them to mean whatever vision that THEY wish to see, but I am supposed to trust them in matters of eternity right ?

If you are admittedly a finite being, with only a limited grasp of this god, then why do you feel that you have such a grasp  over a concept that would be outside of the boundaries of finite mind ? Why is it that so many theists will tell me "WE CAN NOT PRESUME TO KNOW THE WILL OF GOD". Yet they always proceed to do exactly that ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
Posts: 328
Joined: 2010-11-23
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Or is

harleysportster wrote:
Or is it just easier to make generalizations and try to put everyone that does not think exactly like you in some sort of box?

The pot calling the kettle black!   That's the EXACT same thing you do to the Christians in this forum! Don't go throwing stones at glass houses harley.

 

harleysportster wrote:
If you are admittedly a finite being, with only a limited grasp of this god, then why do you feel that you have such a grasp  over a concept that would be outside of the boundaries of finite mind ? Why is it that so many theists will tell me "WE CAN NOT PRESUME TO KNOW THE WILL OF GOD". Yet they always proceed to do exactly that ?

I am definitely a finite being, not gonna deny that one bit! We can't claim to know EVERYTHING about God but we can know a lot about His character and our future as revealed to us in His word. We can know the will of God in many ways.

1. God's will, first and foremost, is that we have a relationship with Him, through His son Jesus Christ.

2. The Bible helps us to know God's will.

Just ask and I can give many more reasons.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote: No matter

marcusfish wrote:

 No matter what indian population remained by the time the whites started exterminating them... they started exterminating them. None of us can change the past but I to push back from traditions celebrating genocide.

 

You are referencing some of the very first instances of multiculturalism in the western hemisphere.   

 

 [ edit: as far as multicultural relations applies to the United States.  Europeans had already been planting flags in Mexico, Central and South America for a long time.  Sorry. ]

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
In all actuality

Lee2216 wrote:

harleysportster wrote:
Or is it just easier to make generalizations and try to put everyone that does not think exactly like you in some sort of box?

The pot calling the kettle black!   That's the EXACT same thing you do to the Christians in this forum! Don't go throwing stones at glass houses harley.

 

harleysportster wrote:
If you are admittedly a finite being, with only a limited grasp of this god, then why do you feel that you have such a grasp  over a concept that would be outside of the boundaries of finite mind ? Why is it that so many theists will tell me "WE CAN NOT PRESUME TO KNOW THE WILL OF GOD". Yet they always proceed to do exactly that ?

I am definitely a finite being, not gonna deny that one bit! We can't claim to know EVERYTHING about God but we can know a lot about His character and our future as revealed to us in His word. We can know the will of God in many ways.

1. God's will, first and foremost, is that we have a relationship with Him, through His son Jesus Christ.

2. The Bible helps us to know God's will.

Just ask and I can give many more reasons.

Keee-rassshhhh ! Oops. That was not a stone at a glass house, that was a rock through a plastic window.

 

So, the infinite chooses to reveal aspects of his character through a text that has a thousand different interpretations from a thousand different denominations of so-called "TRUE" Christians ? Sounds like the infinite powers that be loves to communicate via abstract comments where his self-proclaimed followers get to see exactly what they wish to see. I watched a documentary not too long ago about Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. Funny how he uses the exact same Bible that the mainstream Baptist church uses, but seems to get a little more radical notion of what the Bible wishes for him to do than some of the mainstream Christians. Of course, to hear him talk, he has the "TRUE" message that God intends and to hear the mainstream Christians, they have the TRUE message for what God intends.  Funny how the "TRUE" message always seem to correspond exactly with what the person interpreting it wishes to see. Did god deliberately put it into obscure form to confuse some people into following the false versions of his doctrine ? If so, that would indicate deliberate trickery on his part would it not ?

I am pretty sure that you can give many reasons as to why you know the "TRUE" meaning of what God wants for all of us. Do those things line up with your views and support your opinions by any chance ? What a coincidence ! God just happens to have the same dislikes and likes as you. But you claim certain aspects of him are unknowable, which aspects would that be ? Since you probably already know all of the worldly aspects of him, I am curious.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  No

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  No offense, but I don't understand the serious effort that many of you put into replying to theist trolls like jean.  Do you think that this Christian comedian is interested in anything besides yanking your collective chains ?   He's trolling the hell out you guys and yet you keep attempting to get a serious answer from him.   How's that going for you so far ?

 

Actually, I noticed that Jean is repeating himself in a good half of his posts.  Perhaps he has exhausted his vocabulary, or maybe he has exhausted his mental abilities....

Anyway, cj, don't care about him, consider him a mindless steam machine.  Dog's barking, caravan's moving on. 

 


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

Dog's barking, caravan's moving on.  

 

I really like this saying.  Rom?

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
You are a complete gospel drone, Lee.

Lee2216 wrote:

We can't claim to know EVERYTHING about God but we can know a lot about His character and our future as revealed to us in His word. We can know the will of God in many ways.

 

There must be some factory where minds like yours are churned out.

Feel free to offer us one knowable quality possessed by this exo universal deity that's not an assertion, an assumption, anthropomorphic, unmeasurable or downright ridiculous.

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:100percentAtheist

cj wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

Dog's barking, caravan's moving on.  

 

I really like this saying.  Rom?

 

 

I know this in Russian, but I think this saying is of Arabic origin.  Surfing for a few minutes on the internet I could not find the origin.  I'm curious about it now ... thank you ... 


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist wrote:cj

100percentAtheist wrote:

cj wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

Dog's barking, caravan's moving on.  

 

I really like this saying.  Rom?

 

 

I know this in Russian, but I think this saying is of Arabic origin.  Surfing for a few minutes on the internet I could not find the origin.  I'm curious about it now ... thank you ... 

 

Don't you just love it?  Days of searching for an obscure saying or some other bit of trivia ......  Glad to be of help!

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Correct, It's All Over

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
You are referencing some of the very first instances of multiculturalism in the western hemisphere.   

Too true! I love that use of smileys, very appropriate.

Quote:
[ edit: as far as multicultural relations applies to the United States.  Europeans had already been planting flags in Mexico, Central and South America for a long time.  Sorry. ]

I'm not sure if that is just an observation or an argument of some kind?

Human history has nothing if not a proven track record of encountering different people and promptly butchering them. We rock like that!


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish

marcusfish wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
You are referencing some of the very first instances of multiculturalism in the western hemisphere.   

Too true! I love that use of smileys, very appropriate.

Quote:
[ edit: as far as multicultural relations applies to the United States.  Europeans had already been planting flags in Mexico, Central and South America for a long time.  Sorry. ]

I'm not sure if that is just an observation or an argument of some kind?

Human history has nothing if not a proven track record of encountering different people and promptly butchering them. We rock like that!

      Glad you liked it.   Wasn't meant as an argument , as such.   I view multiculturalism as a double-edged sword, you know, sometimes encountering different cultures and customs can mean the extermination of your own.  Examples are found on a global scale.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.