Christianity is losing followers

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3252
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Christianity is losing followers

I found this article about how Christianity is losing followers at an alarming rate. It appears that the number of people who claim they have no affiliation to any religion has doubled in the last twenty years.

I believe what is happening is partially because of the economy, but over the years, I've also seen people realize that Christianity doesn't really offer you any thing you can't get on your own. Why pay church collection money when you can use that money on other things and actually get some thing in return? Why get up early and go to church when you can sleep in on weekends?

I also believe the events surrounding churches have taken their toll. Pedophiles in the Catholic faith, hypocrite gay leaders who come out of the closet after years of lying, and religious leaders who drive expensive cars, own expensive homes and wear more gold on their body than Fort Knox. People are starting to see the fallacy of religion.

As time passes, religions will also lose followers because the "grand event" will never come. There will be no "messiah" who comes to heal the sick or defeat evil. As technology increases and people become more interconnected with instant news, instant video and others forms of instant communication, the odds of another "dark ages" will never come. 

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2010/november/27.40.html

 

 

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
Posts: 529
Joined: 2008-03-22
User is offlineOffline
I don't need an excuse.

Conundrum101 wrote:

Curious:  the record of Jehovah in the flesh  stills abides, in fact it is still on the best seller list.  Actually, there are those who will furnish a copy free of charge--in Swahili if you like.  An important point with eternal consequences:  we will all be judged using The Word--whether we believe it or not.

Just so you know:  we are all without excuse.

 

Peace,

Conundrum

You know, the only reason that the Bible is a best seller is that it is produced and distributed in mass. Groups like the Gideons buy them by the truckloads and pass them off to people who usually toss them in the trash or use them to balance a table leg in the old double wide...

It's also interesting to know that it shares the best seller list with the Little Red Book of Chairman Mao, and The Vally of the Dolls...

And the threat... You have to wonder why your god is too stupid or incompetent to simply say 'I forgive you for doing what I designed you to do in the first place'...

A book of collected oral tall tales capped by a work of ridiculous fiction about flying jewish zombies doesn't really impress me much... At least Valley of the Dolls has a plot...

LC >;-}>

 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13755
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Conundrum101 wrote:

Curious:  the record of Jehovah in the flesh  stills abides, in fact it is still on the best seller list.  Actually, there are those who will furnish a copy free of charge--in Swahili if you like.  An important point with eternal consequences:  we will all be judged using The Word--whether we believe it or not.

Just so you know:  we are all without excuse.

 

Peace,

Conundrum

You know, the only reason that the Bible is a best seller is that it is produced and distributed in mass. Groups like the Gideons buy them by the truckloads and pass them off to people who usually toss them in the trash or use them to balance a table leg in the old double wide...

It's also interesting to know that it shares the best seller list with the Little Red Book of Chairman Mao, and The Vally of the Dolls...

And the threat... You have to wonder why your god is too stupid or incompetent to simply say 'I forgive you for doing what I designed you to do in the first place'...

A book of collected oral tall tales capped by a work of ridiculous fiction about flying jewish zombies doesn't really impress me much... At least Valley of the Dolls has a plot...

LC >;-}>

 

It does have a plot, just not a very good one and the ending sucks.

1.Part one.....Be a good Hebrew and no one gets hurt

2. Part two.....My stalking and threats didn't work. Maybe if I pull a fake suicide I can show my love for you"

3. Part three. This fucking reset button doesn't work I am just going to smash this X box in a violent orgy of genocide  and make my left over  fans robot ass kissers in the after life.

It would make at best a very bad B horror movie written by Russ Myer. At Best. But even Russ Myer had better plot development in his bad movies than the bible does.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3252
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

All religions are nothing more than an opinion.

 

Don't even give them the dignity of the word "opinion", because an uninformed "opinion" based on a naked assertion is merely fantasy.

"I like this movie." Or," I like this sports team" Or "I like this book" are opinions.

Sky daddy claims are lies people unwittingly inflict themselves with. We are all entitled to make claims, but we are not entitled to our own facts.

Since evolutionary biology is the only place we find the manifestation of cognition(thinking life) any claim of a thinking being with no material is a flat out lie.

 

I disagree with your opinion.

What is opinion? Sure, your can back up your belief system with science (I'm assuming that is your stance), but is what Skydaddy claiming any less than their right to believe in their opinions? Maybe they haven't the same experiences you have had which has brought you to your understanding of the Universe?

(edit)

I was curious and did some research and I'm left to assume that "skydaddy" is more of a reference to "god" rather than a single person posting here?

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Correct; skydaddy and

Correct; skydaddy and invisible friend and one or two others often step in for god around here. A built in disrespect of religion into some phrases that are a counter dig to phrases like "praying for you".

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13755
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Correct;

Vastet wrote:
Correct; skydaddy and invisible friend and one or two others often step in for god around here. A built in disrespect of religion into some phrases that are a counter dig to phrases like "praying for you".

Correct. But again why should a claim be "respected"? I am sure everyone here can find examples throughout history where a social norm was challenged and we are better off because that particular claim was not "respected".

I am not sure if you were clarifying my position or making an objection of some sorts.

I hate the word "respect" as given the way it is used. I like using the word "value" . I value the right to make any claim you want, but I am not under any obligation to refrain from offending to the person making the claim because it is about the claim, not the person. People can be separated as individuals from the claims they make.


 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"I am not sure if you were

"I am not sure if you were clarifying my position or making an objection of some sorts."

Neither, I was just confirming to digitalbeachbum that sky daddy is indeed a reference to a god.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13755
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"I am not sure

Vastet wrote:
"I am not sure if you were clarifying my position or making an objection of some sorts." Neither, I was just confirming to digitalbeachbum that sky daddy is indeed a reference to a god.

Yea, "sky daddy" "invisible friend", "super hero" ect ect, all refer to the idea that a human like character who has no physical properties AND magical super powers, exists.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3252
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Conundrum101 wrote:in fact

Conundrum101 wrote:

in fact it is still on the best seller list


"best seller list'? Are we talking about the bible or another book? The reason why I ask this is because the bible isn't a best selling book. It is the most unprofitable book ever printed. It is given away for free and printed at discount. Yes, it is the most printed book in the world (of all time), but only because it is printed to be given away for free to poor third world people who eventually use the book as cooking fuel or toilet paper.

 

 

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
I can't get too excited

I can't get too excited about declining memberships of churches currently.

This has all happened before.  Eventually there will be another "Great Awakening" and churches will fill right back up again.

Quote:

The "great Awakenings" were large-scale revivals that came in spurts, and moved large numbers of people from unchurched to churched.

 

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3252
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

All religions are nothing more than an opinion.

Don't even give them the dignity of the word "opinion", because an uninformed "opinion" based on a naked assertion is merely fantasy.

"I like this movie." Or," I like this sports team" Or "I like this book" are opinions.

Sky daddy claims are lies people unwittingly inflict themselves with. We are all entitled to make claims, but we are not entitled to our own facts.

Since evolutionary biology is the only place we find the manifestation of cognition(thinking life) any claim of a thinking being with no material is a flat out lie.

I see your point of view, but I'm going to take a few liberties to see if I can make my point.

 

(edited)

I don't believe in god. I think all religions are silly myths.

I however believe others are entitled to their opinions, even if they believe in unicorns.

 

I see both claims "I like this movie" and "I believe in god" as both opinions; even though one has no bearing on the world while the other has lead to the suffering and murdering of millions of innocent people.

 

(edited)

If others get in my face about how I'm going to die and go to hell I pull out the same discussion tools which always make them look like asses.

I ask them to "prove it" and as they stutter out words like "the bible says" and "how else did the Universe get created" I say to them, "I'm not the one trying to convince you of my belief so there is no burden on me to present evidence.

 

Have you noticed that religion (christianity for example) uses most of their time to convert and control their followers?

They have these rules which tell you "don't test god" and "god will only reveal things to you when needed"?

I have even heard one of these "the early Earth" believers tell me "god is only letting you think the world is millions of years old as a test".

WTF?

I guess that is why I stopped believing because I ask too many questions.

 

 

 

 

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:I can't get

Watcher wrote:

I can't get too excited about declining memberships of churches currently.

This has all happened before.  Eventually there will be another "Great Awakening" and churches will fill right back up again.

Quote:

The "great Awakenings" were large-scale revivals that came in spurts, and moved large numbers of people from unchurched to churched.

 

I agree. All that is needed is a scare sufficient to scare the sheep back into the pen.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


VanLandingham
VanLandingham's picture
Posts: 16
Joined: 2011-12-06
User is offlineOffline
Christianity doesn’t work.

 

WHY??


 

 Because prayers do not work, people are not more moral, religious leaders are immoral, divine revelation is in chaos and Christians cannot agree on doctrine.


 

In short Christianity doesn’t work.