The belief of Creationism

adams.v
atheist
adams.v's picture
User is offlineOffline
The belief of Creationism

Recently I have been discussing evolution with some classmates and it seems an outstanding number of them completely ignore evolution and believe in the full on fundamentalist creation story. I was a little blown back when they told me this as the ones I was discussing with a very intelligent people. I can't fathom how they find this idea to be true when so much evidence completely refutes creationism. When I start talking about evidence it almost seems like they completely ignore any evidence that goes against it and are very selective about evidence to make creationism more believable.

Is this just because people are so deluded with the bible that they can't imagine it being wrong? Even when we began discussing the possibilities of the omni-god and I basically tore their arguments apart they still could not get their heads around the logic. I brought up free will and they came up with this bs response that just because someone knows you are going to do something it doesn't force you to do it. I was really just shocked at their overall loss of logic when it came to these subjects.

So is this common? Do you run into this often in people being so deluded from religion that they begin ignoring scientific evidence? I will give one of my classmates credit, he did a good job of backing up his ideas but at the same time most of his arguments made some pretty wild assumptions. It just kills me to see people believing in creationism. If these are the kind of people the world will be run by in the next generation then this is not something I look forward to.

Science flies people to the moon, Religion flies people into buildings.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes!!!!!!

But since they are so deluded offer up the bread resipe in Ezekiel 4:12,   and promise to supply   all the  ingredients, then challenge them: based on their faith:  to eat it.   

They wont; but it will get them to start thinking. If it doesn't make them think, then let them eat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
adams.v wrote:So is this

adams.v wrote:

So is this common?

Yes.  Creationism belief is usually willful ignorance (sometimes it is just ignorance though, those are easy discussions because we really do have so much evidence on our side of the debate)...it really is hard to get through to people, because they don't *want* to know about the facts when it comes to that particular belief.

If anyone had an easy answer, creationists wouldn't exist...the only real answer is to teach people at an early age that science works better than faith when it comes to answering questions.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am sorry you are stuck

I am sorry you are stuck with these people, really.

Yet they are willing to go to a doctor at the drop of a hat who never took any science class that taught their doctor that adult flesh magically popped out of dirt.

Their creationism story is as credible as any other creationism story in human history, and they are too ignorant to even accept that theirs is not the first creation story nor the only one held today.

If their "poof" theory to life actually worked humans wouldn't need doctors, police, cars or computers.

These idiots might as well believe that their cell phones run of pixy dust.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
adams.v wrote:Recently I

adams.v wrote:

Recently I have been discussing evolution with some classmates and it seems an outstanding number of them completely ignore evolution and believe in the full on fundamentalist creation story. I was a little blown back when they told me this as the ones I was discussing with a very intelligent people. I can't fathom how they find this idea to be true when so much evidence completely refutes creationism. When I start talking about evidence it almost seems like they completely ignore any evidence that goes against it and are very selective about evidence to make creationism more believable.

Yep. That just about sums it up.

Quote:
Is this just because people are so deluded with the bible that they can't imagine it being wrong?

Yep.

Quote:
So is this common?

Yep.

Quote:
Do you run into this often in people being so deluded from religion that they begin ignoring scientific evidence?

Ohhhhh yes.

Quote:
If these are the kind of people the world will be run by in the next generation then this is not something I look forward to.

Exactly. That's why the fight against irrationality (and specifically religion) is so important. We can't just sit back any longer and let this fester.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

adams.v
atheist
adams.v's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I am sorry you

Brian37 wrote:

I am sorry you are stuck with these people, really.

Yet they are willing to go to a doctor at the drop of a hat who never took any science class that taught their doctor that adult flesh magically popped out of dirt.

Their creationism story is as credible as any other creationism story in human history, and they are too ignorant to even accept that theirs is not the first creation story nor the only one held today.

If their "poof" theory to life actually worked humans wouldn't need doctors, police, cars or computers.

These idiots might as well believe that their cell phones run of pixy dust.

Brian that gave me a good laugh, but at the same time it has a lot of truth to it. I would love to see this "God" of theirs actually fix something in this world like they say he can.

It is a little disappointing to see people believe in creationism...

Science flies people to the moon, Religion flies people into buildings.