Corey Taylor's thoughts on religion. (from slipknot)

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Corey Taylor's thoughts on religion. (from slipknot)

'O almighty, all knowing, compassionate Lord..'

In hearing these words from a priests mouth one must look at the contradictions and conundrum of faith in regards to the problem of suffering. Just look at the world around you. Read the newspaper once and you'll understand this as every rational human being should.

If this "God" does exist, in co-ordinance with the priests statement, and is aware about the matters of his creations, then either:

1. God knows about suffering and could stop it but doesn't care, in which case he isn't compassionate

2. God knows about suffering, and cares about it but can't do a thing about it, in which case he isn't all-powerful

3. God can do something about it and cares about it, but doesn't know about it, in which case he isn't all-knowing.

Modern theoligians would argue that suffering is but a test and that we are all being subjected to pain and suffering in order to test our faith until the next coming of christ. But deep down in our souls any human being can and should empathize with the pain and suffering of another, and state ,without argument, that it is not right and at times seemingly without reason.
At this point the question of God becomes pointless, and when one focuses his or her path towards helping others who might be less fortunate rather then embarking on their own selfish spiritual journey, the world might start to realize the love of one another without the question of God as reason.

I think what drives most people to turn to athiesm is the clear and apparent contradictions presented in the words of the bible. If "God" is all-forgiving, then what does the idea of Hell represent? the ones who weren't forgiven? If God made the Earth, then the animals, then made Man directly after in his own image, then what are the Dinosaurs? who were the dominant species on this planet for millions of years before us. If some would beleive the Bible is and should be taken as a literal piece of historical fact, much like modern day history books, then one should also be able to compare the two as such. There is physical evidence of most of the events throughout the history of the earth. Most proving the stories in modern day history books. Except for the Bible ofcourse, in which there is no physical evidence or proof provided. Thus, the Bible, in my opinion should be taken as most great fables and myths should. Like the ones about dragons, magic and heroes. A great story with magic and miracles, replete with morals and life-lessons to be learnt, as all the best stories should.

And so, the question of God is an unimportant one. If people spend too much time on it they might, like many, fall into the seclusion of religion. Sectioning themselves off from society in a search for internal truth and comfort. Saying that beleivers should be held higher then non-beleivers, and spending their lives imposing it on others or living behind the divisions of its walls. When the real problems are right in front of our noses. PEOPLE need help. the WORLD needs help. And compassion, knowledge and the power to change, has and should have nothing to do with "God"

<end of article>

here's a quote from Corey as well;

Corey Taylor, NME, on why he crashed with the road crew rather than stay in the hotel
"All this money Robertson makes through CBN (the Christian Broadcasting Network, Robertson's religious channel) is tax free. So, what paid for that hotel? And exactly what happens to the profits of CBN, Pat? Why don't you tell me that before you get in my fucking face, you lover of the dollar sign? Pat Robertson doesn't worship the cross. He worships the fucking dollar sign."

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meant to say what he said is

Meant to say what he said is nothing groundbreaking.... just nice to see the sentiment coming from someone I like.

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote:If this "God"

TonyZXT wrote:

If this "God" does exist, in co-ordinance with the priests statement, and is aware about the matters of his creations, then either:

1. God knows about suffering and could stop it but doesn't care, in which case he isn't compassionate

2. God knows about suffering, and cares about it but can't do a thing about it, in which case he isn't all-powerful

3. God can do something about it and cares about it, but doesn't know about it, in which case he isn't all-knowing.

A classic restatement of the problem of evil....

I'm a little leery of this being a reason for atheism, because there are plenty of interpretations of theism that toss one of the omni*'s out the windows. Some forms of Calvinism and Islam suggest a god can do whatever he wants and is justified in doing so, thereby not compassionate as one would like to think he is. Open theism tosses omniscience. Some toss omnipotents (Peter Geach reinterprets it...).

Some theists such as Plantinga and WLC answer this suggesting there is no explicit contradiction between the idea of an omni* god and evil. They mighty suggest that a god has reason for evil, and so long as this is even possible, there is no reason to think that a god is as described above. C.S. Lewis suggested that it was not a problem with his god, but a problem with his understanding of his god, and was compelled towards theism because of evil rather than turned off by evil.

In short, one can run many ways with this I think. Atheism is but one of them, but I think it is the extreme case. One could accuse atheists of creating a false dichotomy should one cite this as the reason for being an atheist.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote: If this

TonyZXT wrote:

Modern theoligians would argue that suffering is but a test and that we are all being subjected to pain and suffering in order to test our faith until the next coming of christ.

Suffering should be a way of telling people and societies to change. Instead, religion is an opiate for suffering, so people don't consider rational change to eliminate the suffering. So suffering can not be eliminated until no religon is the change.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
That's cool. Met him at a

That's cool. Met him at a stone sour concert once.

M0nk (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The actual Quote

I thought the author of the paraphrased quote under discussion deserved a shout out with the actual quote:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent.

Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent.

Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?"

-Epicurus Circa 341 - 270 B.C.

Dags (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I wonder...

To quote Slipknot:

'I have screamed until my veins collapsed

I've waited as my times ellapsed

Now all I do is live with so much fate

I've wished for this, I've Bitched at that

I've left behind this little fact "You cannot kill what you did not create"

I've gotta say what I've gotta say and then I swear I'll go away

But I can't promise you to enjoy the noise

I guess I'll save the best for last...:

Tell me the reality is better than the dream, but I found out the hard way

NOTHING IS WHAT IT SEEMS'

hm...tell me the reality is better than the dream?

will I get an answer?

WHAT DOES THIS REALLY MEAN?