Obama on the Daily Show

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Obama on the Daily Show

I saw your (some of you) President Obama in the Daily Show. I liked the interview, Obama looked confident and a good speecher as always... but since I'm not inside american politics I was wondering what you guys think about... from the outside western politics seems always more of the same with no big change. It's understandable in a way because big change would mean a hard transition time and a war against certain interests and powers... I kind of believe that this hard change is a necessity, wether we want it or not it will happen...

have any comments?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-27-2010/barack-obama-pt--1

FULL EPISODE: http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-october-27-2010-barack-obama

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watched it a few hours ago

Watched it a few hours ago on one of the free-to-air digital TV channels here.

I was reasonably impressed. There seemed to be refreshing degree of honesty and openness and intelligence that is  not so common in politicians.

But then that is his 'trademark'.

I am not in the US, but it is important to the world that the country 'gets its act together', and whatever Obama's failings in actually getting some his inspiring words into practice, the prospect of people like Palin, and the Tea-Party types, or the people following Glen Beck, getting a chance to Take America Back - to the stone age, or the Wild West, or whatever, is really scary.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

adams.v
atheist
adams.v's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Watched it

BobSpence1 wrote:

I was reasonably impressed. There seemed to be refreshing degree of honesty and openness and intelligence that is  not so common in politicians.

I am not in the US, but it is important to the world that the country 'gets its act together', and whatever Obama's failings in actually getting some his inspiring words into practice, the prospect of people like Palin, and the Tea-Party types, or the people following Glen Beck, getting a chance to Take America Back - to the stone age, or the Wild West, or whatever, is really scary.

We, meaning the U.S., really do need to get our act together. People like to blame Obama for not getting things done and while some of the fault is his, not all of it is. The president doesn't have the power to do whatever he pleases and Congress must approve many of his acts. While this system does keep it so that no one branch becomes to powerful, the media has made it so that Republicans and Democrats are polar opposites and must oppose each other. This is a major problem as we can't get any amount of compromise out of either party. If one side proposes something the other immediately fights it, without even trying to work with each other and coming to an agreement on what is best. And this is what we really need, that middle ground between extreme left and extreme right. The majority of this country falls in that middle ground, it is just these extreme left and right people make it seem like there is no middle ground.

And the thought of someone like Palin, Glen Beck, or a Tea-Party type getting into office scares me like no other. I can't imagine how much worse of this country would become if we had a person like that get into a high office. They do enough harm without being in office.

Science flies people to the moon, Religion flies people into buildings.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Watched it

BobSpence1 wrote:

Come on Bob, taking America 'back' to a pristine past full of light and glory by using political principals never been tried in the real world is the only true route to paradise...If we don't do that we'll wind living in some banana republic hell like Canada or Australia or maybe even Sweden.  Glen Beck help us all.

(Apologies to Beyond Saving)

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL,

Funny videos Teralek, thanks for posting.

El-ahrairah
atheist
El-ahrairah's picture
User is offlineOffline
Winning back the youth

I think that Obama is trying to win back the favor of the young 20-something demographic, most of whom got him into office, and who are now less favorable of him. Think about who is watching The Daily Show.

"The Aim of an Argument...should not be victory, but progress."
-Joseph Joubert (1754-1824)

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."
-Richard Adams, Watership Down, 1972

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow, cant believe people are

wow, cant believe people are saying he looked good when the consensus seems to be the opposite

obama pulled a bush when he said larry summers did a heck of a job (which illicited open laughter from the audience)

the audience also laughed at him when he said "yes we can but..."