A what if question to everyone?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
A what if question to everyone?

It has been postulated in psychology. A national magazine article, Time or Newsweek, I forget which it was, postulated the following and of course I am paraphrasing. I want to expound on this example with something more long term as far as our species's future.

The article was not postulating a right or wrong answer but speculating what personality types would do what?

The example was if there was a train out of control barreling down the track and the passengers were sure to die, but the only way you could save them was to push a fat man off the bridge above to derail it to stop it from hitting another train, sure to kill more than the one person you shoved off the bridge? Would you do it?

Now, while I thought Bush was an asshole of a President, I myself, if it had been possible to do at the time, WOULD have given the order to shoot down the passenger liners on 9/11 to prevent them from hitting their targets.

NOW, that is just me, and the article never claimed right or wrong either way.

TO EXPOUND on this example.

Lets say as far as the future of humanity as an example.

If you knew the only way to save the species as a whole was to submit it to the likes of Kim Jong Ill, or have the entire species obliterated by a nuclear war, would you surrender?

Now, I am NOT postulating the permanent existence of such tyranny as a result of surrender. Just the thought that if it gave a future possibility for our species survival short term, would you surrender if it meant long term saving the species?

PLEASE PEOPLE, do not make this about labels or nationality. I am strictly talking about human psychology. You can replace Kim Jong Ill with Darth Vader, it is just a "what if" example.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Japan is cool

When they get to bowing and carrying on on the buses you wonder how we could ever have had a stouch with them. Needless to say I was interested to read recently that the majority of Japanese now believe the Rape of Nanking never happened.

Mmmmmm.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
This turned out to be a very

This turned out to be a very interesting discussion. All these hard questions made me think... 

We are trying to rationalize ethics, and this is possible in my opinion. Though opinions are just like hats the truth is the truth...

Atheistextremist has a point:

Atheistextremist wrote:
But how deep does the rabbit hole go?

In your morality is it the higher orders that are aware of pain that you resist harming through abuse - including eating? What about living plants? If we take universal ultruism to the ultimate conclusion - and harm nothing - can we still exist?

There was a fly on my PC screen just now (really). The bitch was bugging me so I kill her and I didn't even eat her or have sex with her... I guess this doesn't add up to my taste for meat (yummi) or support of animal rights. The fly is not part of my social contract.

Really Blake, we have to be balanced here. Extremism is often a poor choice for moral values (Atheistextremist no offense intended ).

If the rabbit hole went far enough I should waste time trying to push the fly outside. Also, I should never use pesticides against mice, ants or cockroaches. Are these insects lesser than a chicken, an octupus or a crab? Why? I should even be carefull when cleaning my bed sheets because I would be killing Acari.

Blake wrote:
Yes, if you want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs- but you completely avoid the most important question here: do we really *need* to be making omelets? The abuse that occurs from that is just as much chosen as any other- no matter how great or small it may be.

Because life is all about breaking eggs and live with it. Animals kill to stay alive, animals kill to practice their killing instincts and don't have any moral problem with it. Animals even have sex with other species without their consent! Sure we humans can survive by only eating things from the Plant kingdom, but that's not our nature for we are omnivorous. Probably one of the reasons of our success as a species is our adaptability in food choice. However one of the key diference between animals and humans is that we have a moral conscience (this damn intelligence seems to be more of a problem than a gift sometimes )

Quote:
cj wrote:

I think it is pretty arbitrary of you, Blake, to insist all animal operations are abusive.

Blake wrote:

I'm not insisting that any of them are or are not objectively abusive- I'm insisting that it's an opinion, and that my opinion is no less valid than yours, is no less valid than the opinion of the sadistic dog-fighter.

There is one opinion that might be a little more relevant to the question, though- the ones who are actually suffering the abuse.

cj wrote:
There is a difference between whacking an octopus with a racket and offing little octopi for tako salad (a Hawaiian dish, not at all like the taco salad based on Mexican cuisine).

Blake wrote:
You really think it makes a big difference to the octopodes?

When opinions are backed up by rationality they may have an imposing effect or at least reality grounds independent of one's opinion.

It is true that many good intentions ended up in bad deeds but if one's mind is open and ponders the problems, those mistakes are valuable information for improvement. But this doesn't invalidate the fact that there is a qualitative difference between "whacking an octopus with a racket and offing little octopi for tako salad". Does this matter to the octopus? Well... it may... Do you rather die by burning on a stake or by a lethal painless injection?

Moral is much about intentions and choosing the lesser evil in situations! This is why science has a problem with moral, so it shows in this interesting discussion. We can't be like all or nothing because if I'd have to ask the Octopus for consent to be in my eating plate I would also have to ask the Acari for consent to drown them in my washing machine.

Blake wrote:
... why don't we all start up a kiddie sex farm where the rapists use lube and lay off the cattle prods a little? That totally justifies the action as moral.
There is no legitimate argument for these farms existing at all beyond consumer demand for the taste of meat. That taste is no objectively different from any other fetish, be that foie gras or baby sex.

True... but you're only seeing the face value of things. CJ wrote: "there are good and valid societal gains from giving all adult persons the right to consent or refuse. There are good and valid biological and psychological reasons for insisting on "adult"." So in a moral decision one has to se the side of the abuser and the abused.

Again, when an Indian (native American) goes out and kills a deer, he say a prayer and thanks the deer for giving food to him and his family. We rationalize and mass production meat as a comoditty. We don't have to say a prayer or thank anyone because we are Gods ourselfs. Selfish and all-powerfull. I think some indian cultures are morally superior to ours in many respects.

So it's all a question of respect. If a person respects the animals, can fight for their rights and still eat them. A respectfull person doesn't do things selfishly but his actions add value to a system as a whole.

Wether we like it or not we are on top of the food chain and are the most advanced species on the planet. With this, also comes great responsability, and we are abusing this responsability by treating life as objects independent from us that we can use and exploit at our pleasure.

I also think that there are differences between living things. A Chipanzee has more independence and is more self aware than a fly so it must have a diferent social contract with humans.

My utopia is like the life of Elfs in Tolkien. Living in communion with a fruitfull and beautifull nature... and still eating it.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Hey, I saw some

Blake wrote:

Hey, I saw some interesting quotes recently:

Einstein wrote:
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.

Interestingly, he became a vegetarian later in his life (I'm not sure what year this quote is from, I just saw it on a forum somewhere... I wonder where...)

Nussbaum wrote:

Just because you don't have a fully functioning mind doesn't mean you don't deserve to be treated with respect. Analogously, just because an animal has immediate, practical intelligence rather than self-conscious reaction doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be treated with dignity. Our choices effect the lives of non-human species every day, and often cause them enormous suffering. Animals are not simply part of the furniture of the world; they are active beings trying to live their lives; and we often stand in their way. That looks like a problem of justice

That's a wonderful quote- if only the people saying that kind of thing would live up the the implications instead of choosing hypocrisy out of personal convenience...

Now if only I could remember where I found that... hmm...

So, Einstein wasn't always a vegetarian...but, became one later in life? I wonder if he made that decision a week before his 53 birthday?

You know, Blake, you and I got off on the wrong foot here. I don't like your style and you don't like mine. If, perhaps you hadn't been so condescending and ballistic in your replies to me, I would have sooner seen your POV...maybe not. Anyway, after reading the google books and especially thinking about the reply from Mellested where he said something like: If I were you, I would cry every time I saw a hamburger... I do see the contradiction between being kind to animals and eating them. Even though it is 'natural' for animals to eat other animals, I agree it isn't necessary to do so.

The fact of the matter is I've never really, in my mind, seperated 'eating' from animal abuse before.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparantly, Einstein became

Apparently, Einstein became a vegetarian in his last year of life. Here is a page with more info.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Apparently,

Sandycane wrote:

Apparently, Einstein became a vegetarian in his last year of life. Here is a page with more info.

The things I learn in this forum... 

I could be a vegetarian myself, if I set my mind to it. It maybe even beneficial for health. I've been reducing meat consumption though. I only eat meat like once or twice a week. As to fish I probably won't stop eating it unless fish stocks plummet... to much population and fish lovers, I guess... 

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just to spice up the

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:Sandycane

Teralek wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

The things I learn in this forum... 

I could be a vegetarian myself, if I set my mind to it. It maybe even beneficial for health. I've been reducing meat consumption though. I only eat meat like once or twice a week. As to fish I probably won't stop eating it unless fish stocks plummet... to much population and fish lovers, I guess... 

Me too...I eat very little meat now so, eliminating it altogether wouldn't be that big of a deal. Not only is there a potential health benefit but, from the little I've read about it, if everyone were vegetarians, the health of the entire planet would improve. That's why I want to be a vegetarian, not because it will make 'me' feel better but because it is beneficial to life in general.

I need to correct something in my previous post:

Quote:
The fact of the matter is I've never really, in my mind, separated 'eating' from animal abuse before.
Actually, just the opposite, in my mind, they were two separate issues.

Another question comes to mind though: What about raising animals for pet food? Cats and dogs require a certain amount of animal protien in their diet. What do you do about that??? ...and don't say, 'don't keep pets'. While that may be a noble goal (like world peace), the reality is that people do keep pets NOW.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:Just to spice

Teralek wrote:

Just to spice up the bestiality thing:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/070314-hybrids.html 

Link doesn't work...

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Teralek

Sandycane wrote:

Teralek wrote:

Just to spice up the bestiality thing:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/070314-hybrids.html 

Link doesn't work...

It does here...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:The former means

Blake wrote:

The former means we also have to turn a blind eye to men who cut off their wives' noses, human slavery, or even farms that raise small children for sex and then kill them at puberty for entertainment and soft human meat.  Personally, I don't prefer that- but that's just me.  Mellestad and Beyond Savings seem to prefer that minimal social contract approach- and as long as they don't protest slavery and those kinds of abuses of women and children, I can't criticize them for hypocrisy.

Only if I fail to draw a (arbitrary) line between humans and animals.  Why wouldn't I?  All I have to do is assume that human suffering is important, and animal suffering is not.  With those assumptions my morality can be consistent.

Also, this thread is fantastic.

This:  http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/21269?page=2#comment-317969

Followed by this: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/21269?page=2#comment-317979

Is pure gold.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I prefer the first question,

I prefer the first question, no I don't push the fat man. Its non of my business with the trains. I didn't cause the crash so I am not responsible for the outcome. Not that my answer would change even if I was at fault. As for what you ask well as im unwhiling to do what would be needed to mount anything serious to resist (killing etc.) I would have to put up with it. I would not like it but because I would be unwhilling to do anything about it I would submit. But in this example my actions would be pointless as there are people who would resist causing the nuclear war. But I would submit however it is not because of the rest of world dieing if I did resist, I am in no way responsible for that, someone else doing something bad because of my actions is not the same as me doing that action.

In short to respond in a general way, I'm unwhiling to personally harm some one to help others. I am only responsible for my own actions not other peoples actions based on my own.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
@Blake: What *is* your basis

@Blake: What *is* your basis for choosing to respect animal welfare?  Is it just empathy?  If you get specific about this in your response to someone else, just ignore this.

My question is always, "What's in it for me?"

When talking about humans, I think you can make a case that respecting some human rights is a good enough general rule to adopt in universally.  Things don't tend to go well when you don't respect basic rights, and so you can at least have a basis for making that moral assumption in differentiating between humans and non-humans.  However, nothing bad seems to happen when we treat animals badly, and there certainly isn't anything in our nature that makes harming animals a bad thing...most research I've seen indicates the only reason we have empathy for animals is more or less a case of our subconcious anthropomorphizing non-humans in such a way that our human-empathy starts to cover other species as well...typically easier the cuter they are. (If you have data that suggests otherwise, I'd love to read about it, btw)

I'm not hostile to the idea of changing my moral compass about critters, but my two questions are: 1) Why bother?  2) How do we decide what deserves protection and what doesn't?

Blake wrote:
Ohhh, so if you want to have sex with animals, you need their consent, but if you just want to kill them, then you don't.

I never understood that either.  Sure, bestiality is 'icky' to most people, but it isn't to everyone (obviously!), but generating a logical argument against it just falls flat.  Besides, I am 100% certain a human can get 'consent' from an animal anyway, and I am 100% certain a human could get the animal to enjoy it and come back for more, so even that arbitrary rule is useless to prove a point.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:...Also,

mellestad wrote:

...Also, this thread is fantastic.

Followed by this: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/21269?page=2#comment-317979

Is pure gold.

I still say there is a difference between humanely raising animals for food and intentionaly torturing them for giggles...and I still say that anyone who does the latter should be locked up.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mellestad

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:

...Also, this thread is fantastic.

Is pure gold.

I still say there is a difference between humanely raising animals for food and intentionaly torturing them for giggles...and I still say that anyone who does the latter should be locked up.

And you've still not given a reason for either one of those opinions that holds up to scrutiny.

Mind you, I get where you are coming from.  But by using your thought process we can justify imposing any behavior we feel strongly about, whether it is rational or not.  You can't apply your reasoning without getting some kooky beliefs.

If someone came on here and said, "Most people think Atheists are bad and shouldn't ever be in positions of authority, and I feel that way too...when I see an atheist, they make me so mad!  As long as atheists keep to themselves that is fine, but if they ever run for public office they should be jailed!"

Or how about if a person from PETA says, "Anyone who eats meat deserves to be locked up!" and then gives, word for word, the *exact same reasoning you have given here* to justify that action?  Why are they wrong, but you're right?  Repeating that there is an obvious difference between food animals killed for your taste buds and a dog killed for someone's wallet doesn't cut it.

What would you say to that?  All I'm trying to do is get you to apply that same kind of thinking to your own beliefs.  Using what you've given us, the only arbiter for what constitutes punishable animal abuse vs. acceptable animal harm is...your opinion.  Which your are willing to send people to jail over, or kill them outright.

To me, that is actually a little terrifying.  Allowing that kind of rationality is how those in the minority are abused by those in the majority.  When 'common sense' is the basis of morality, bad things happen.

You don't have to respond though, we're just repeating ourselves.  I appreciate how level headed you've been, in any case.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:You weren't just

Blake wrote:

You weren't just using that; you were implicitly imposing that on all societies without taking into account the true minimum of what a pure social contract represents.

I'm not saying you have to designate a group x which are slaves- just that it is permissible.  And it's not arbitrary if that group is already enslaved- if group z has full control over group x and group z is forming a social contract, there's no reason in accordance with a pure social contract to include group x unless there are other significant mitigating factors at play.

If a society has already formed, and somebody wants slaves, that person can not take slaves from other people in the society, but may bring in people from another area that are not covered by the social contract- or make new people- to serve as slaves.  Provided that person maintains full control over that slave population and prevents it from being a threat to you, there is no reason to argue against it on the basis of social contract.

I am not disagreeing that it is permissible. Simply that it is not required. The line of which groups is included in a social contract is quite simply based on the preference of the groups making the social contract. All that is required is for one or more of the groups powerful enough to negotiate to say "Hey, we should include group x in the social contract or else". You are right that there is no reason the contract MUST include all humans but neither is there a reason it CAN'T. It really is decided by the groups forming the contract and it will be arbitrary in the sense that it is based on their preferences.

Blake wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
My point is that which groups are included and which are excluded is determined by the powers that be when it is created and or changed. There really is no social contract reason against enslaving people with red hair if people with red hair are not in a position of significant enough power when the contract is created. Although, I believe that a strong argument can be made when creating a social contract that people with red hair should be included because while they might not have power now, they may in the future and cause a revolution thus destroying the social contract.

Pigs might spontaneously develop opposable thumbs by way of mutation and overthrow human society.  Aliens might touch down on Earth and determine that humans, an 'inferior' species, is not deserving of freedom from slavery because we haven't granted the same to those species 'inferior' to us. 

There are quite a few things that *might* happen.  I hope you agree that the burden of proof would be on you to demonstrate how that's at all probable- and that it would be a consideration of risk/benefit that the society would have to make by weighing the risks against the economic benefits.

If the power over the redheads was weak and tenuous, then you might have an argument.  If they were quite thoroughly overwhelmed, owned, denied weapons, education, possessions- you wouldn't have much of one.

Except world history which demonstrates slaves uprising multiple times. When you repress humans they will eventually rebel unless you completely exterminate the population. And many in society don't have that much to gain by taking the risk of having a population in slavery. Slavery might be great for the individual who benefits, but usually for the majority it creates several problems. I am not aware of any society in history where slave owners constituted a majority. Usually slave owners are an economically privileged minority. 

You seem to be ignoring the competing political implications of creating a society. Suppose you have groups W, X, Y, and Z creating a social contract. Group W enslaves Z, groups X and Y don't own slaves and aren't economically able to get any soon. Group W will want to exclude Z from the contract. Groups X and Y realizing that group W owning slaves gives it an economic advantage decide to join forces with Z. Basically saying, group Z comes in too or no deal. You can run the scenario a hundred different ways and in some cases rationality would dictate Z is enslaved, say if group X allied with W, in others it would call for Z to be included. We can see very much the same scenario take place in the founding of the US when there were arguments over whether or not to allow slavery. In that case, group W was able to get enough support. Now looking back with 20/20 hindsight we can see that not including blacks in the social contract was a mistake. Any economic gain provided by the continuation of slavery has certainly been wiped out by the violence, war and economic devastation following the Civil War a mere 74 years later.  

Blake wrote:

Either way, you're missing two important mitigating points:

1. The social contract is primarily a matter of interest in the now- people aren't traditionally concerned with what might happen in a hundred years.

2. When a lower class rebels, they typically only seek admission into the social contract, and not total overthrow of society.  That's not a big risk, except to the owners- who are the ones that stand to benefit and chose whether to own redheads or not.

Traditionally they don't. That is why history is rife with dictatorships and tyrannies. Just because people are not traditionally concerned with the future does not prove that we shouldn't be especially when you are in the process of creating a society. Whether your motivation is for your children and grandchildren to have a better life or for the sheer vanity of creating a society that will be successful there are plenty of reasons the individuals creating a society would be concerned about the future. Never underestimate the human ego. As short as our lives are, I don't consider it irrational for someone to have a desire to create something that serves as a symbol of "I was here" to future generations and I believe it is a fairly common trait, especially among those who would become leaders of groups negotiating a social contract.  

I agree with #2 except in the detail that slave uprisings rarely affect only the owners. There are usually long lasting economic effects in addition to whatever collateral damage may be caused. Which may be another reason why groups X and Y would side against W.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:You don't

mellestad wrote:

You don't have to respond though, we're just repeating ourselves.  I appreciate how level headed you've been, in any case.

No, I'll respond...I just need to think about it for a while first.

I see what you're getting at now (I think) and I enjoy a challenge. If I can learn to express my 'opinions' in a more logical way, I'm all for that. You're a good teacher.

Y'all might get a kick out of this...remember, this morning I decided to be vegetarian? Well, guess what was waiting at the post office for me this afternoon from my brother in NY for my birthday- two pair of suede & two pair of leather pants, a leather jacket and a suede shirt.

I don't care what you say, Blake, I'm wearing them!!! Not only do they look good but, they smell good, too (you know, kind of like that 'new car' smell?)  

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: mellestad

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:

No, I'll respond...I just need to think about it for a while first.

I see what you're getting at now (I think) and I enjoy a challenge. If I can learn to express my 'opinions' in a more logical way, I'm all for that. You're a good teacher.

Y'all might get a kick out of this...remember, this morning I decided to be vegetarian? Well, guess what was waiting at the post office for me this afternoon from my brother in NY for my birthday- two pair of suede & two pair of leather pants, a leather jacket and a suede shirt.

I don't care what you say, Blake, I'm wearing them!!! Not only do they look good but, they smell good, too (you know, kind of like that 'new car' smell?)  

Lol, I think the Flying Spaghetti Monster must be sending you a sign that vegetarianism is overrated. 

Happy B-Day. Since I can't sing I'll have a "slave" sing it for you, 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
@Sandy:Just don't feel like

@Sandy:

Just don't feel like you need to work too hard to justify your existing opinions.  If you can't justify them, maybe they aren't justifiable.  That isn't a horrible thing, all of us have opinions that don't make sense.

People, including me, have a strong psychological need to justify our choices after we've made them, whether we're right or wrong.  Trying to be rational means we need to try and analyze our own beliefs and decide if they are consistent without given in to the desire to have knee-jerk defensive reaction about our existing or past decisions/ways of thinking.

Besides, it isn't all bad.  If you decide the meat eating is 'worth it' all it means is you give up voting for legislation that sends abusers to jail.  It doesn't mean you can't campaign for animal welfare or that you have to start kicking puppies, it means you would be restricted to 'talking about', instead of 'legislating', your morality.

If you decide the other way, well, the you've got to decide how far to go.  Vegetarian, Vegan, shooting yourself to keep from harming insects (but then the bacteria in your body would die, oh no....but youid feed new bacteria too, oh, the choices!) Sticking out tongue

----------------------

Are you a biker, or do you just have a leather fetish?

Edit: Happy birthday.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't see why we have to

I don't see why we have to be extremists about this...

Reading your comments one think that to be rational he as to choose one of two options:

1 - Deny animal rights and condone animal farming and abuse for they are the same. So it is ok to have sex with animals and to kill them indiscriminatly with complete disregard for their lifes.

2 - Embrace animal rights; to be consistent we also can't eat animals anymore. None. Can't abuse them or enslave them as pets either. Just let them be with minimum interference (as if this was possible...). So to have any kind of interaction with an animal we have to get his approval. So for example: if I want to have sex with a camel I would have to get his consent; to clean my kitchen I would have to politely ask the cockroaches to leave; to eat a fish I would have to get his consent; to wash my sheets I'd have to remove all Acari from them...

I think there is something wrong with your rationality... a balanced compromise IS the most rational thing to do

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:I don't see

Teralek wrote:

Reading your comments one think that to be rational he as to choose one of two options:

1 - Deny animal rights and condone animal farming and abuse for they are the same. So it is ok to have sex with animals and to kill them indiscriminatly with complete disregard for their lifes.

2 - Embrace animal rights; to be consistent we also can't eat animals anymore. None. Can't abuse them or enslave them as pets either. Just let them be with minimum interference (as if this was possible...). So to have any kind of interaction with an animal we have to get his approval. So for example: if I want to have sex with a camel I would have to get his consent; to clean my kitchen I would have to politely ask the cockroaches to leave; to eat a fish I would have to get his consent; to wash my sheets I'd have to remove all Acari from them...

I think there is something wrong with your rationality... a balanced compromise IS the most rational thing to do

Then you have to justify that compromise somehow.  Under what conditions is it OK to treat animals like property?  Why?  Under what conditions is it wrong to treat them like property?  Why?  What happens when we follow the logic of those answers to an unspecified situations?

You can't just say, 'compromise'.  Some people in this thread have said animal abuse should be punishable by imprisonment or death.  That means the question has enormous moral weight (or the value of human life is just as trivial as that of an animal, but that is a different problem!).  I think asking that people justify this is....justifiable.  If someone thinks these questions are *that* important, you can't just hand-wave it away, not and live with yourself anyway.  Have you ever heard the phrase, "Meat is murder."?  That is what many people think.  If meat is murder, you can't compromise and consider yourself a moral person.

And why would option 1 include condoning animal abuse?  That's just a straw man.  Option 2...well, yea, I think that is the rational conclusion of believing animal pain and life has non-trivial importance.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Lol, I

Beyond Saving wrote:

Lol, I think the Flying Spaghetti Monster must be sending you a sign that vegetarianism is overrated. Happy B-Day. Since I can't sing I'll have a "slave" sing it for you, 

Awwww, that is sooooo cute!! I like the 'Yi Ha!' at the end. Thank you. Actually, my birthday isn't 'tll the 30th. You know you've got to watch out for those Scorpio's...especially if they're 1/2 Italian!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
All good points to

All good points to consider...

mellestad wrote:

If you decide the other way, well, the you've got to decide how far to go.  Vegetarian, Vegan, shooting yourself to keep from harming insects (but then the bacteria in your body would die, oh no....but youid feed new bacteria too, oh, the choices!) Sticking out tongue

I know! We had Chinese for lunch and every bite of shrimp gave me a twinge of guilt!!  I couldn't help but wonder if they suffered before they died. But, they were delicious!

Quote:
Are you a biker, or do you just have a leather fetish?
 No, not a biker but, my friend is, sort of. He bought me the vest about 10 years ago for a birthday and I've never felt comfortable about wearing it out (keep in mind where I live). BUT, now that I have matching pants, how could I not??? Oh! Got to give these bible-thumpers something good to gossip about every once in a while.

Quote:
Edit: Happy birthday.

Thank you.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Crumbs, folks.

I think blake'll have a meltdown if he revisits this thread.

Nice daks, Sandy. I have a leather coat made from innocent, gambolling New Zealand lambs. Like them, it's soft and luverley.

I think the carnivores will have to concede Blake the moral high ground on this one.

The more I think about petting native bird slaughtering kitties and chomping on lambs legs, the less defensible my position seems to be.

I am a monster.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: I

Atheistextremist wrote:

I think blake'll have a meltdown if he revisits this thread.

Nice daks, Sandy. I have a leather coat made from innocent, gambolling New Zealand lambs. Like them, it's soft and luverley.

I think the carnivores will have to concede Blake the moral high ground on this one.

The more I think about petting native bird slaughtering kitties and chomping on lambs legs, the less defensible my position seems to be.

I am a monster.

My 2 favorite coats are 1) a vintage (70's) suede with shearling trim and lining and a 2) vintage (40's) Mouton lamb fur coat. Trouble is, it rarely gets cold enough here to wear them.

All this talk reminds me of a Jerry Seinfeld skit:

• I once had a leather jacket that got ruined in the rain. Why does moisture ruin leather? Aren’t cows outside a lot of the time? When it’s raining, do cows go up to the farmhouse, “Let us in! We’re all wearing leather! Open the door! We’re going to ruin the whole outfit here!”

•  

Teralek
    Teralek's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    mellestad wrote:Teralek

mellestad wrote:

Teralek wrote:

Then you have to justify that compromise somehow.  Under what conditions is it OK to treat animals like property?  Why?  Under what conditions is it wrong to treat them like property?  Why?  What happens when we follow the logic of those answers to an unspecified situations?

You can't just say, 'compromise'.  Some people in this thread have said animal abuse should be punishable by imprisonment or death.  That means the question has enormous moral weight (or the value of human life is just as trivial as that of an animal, but that is a different problem!).  I think asking that people justify this is....justifiable.  If someone thinks these questions are *that* important, you can't just hand-wave it away, not and live with yourself anyway.  Have you ever heard the phrase, "Meat is murder."?  That is what many people think.  If meat is murder, you can't compromise and consider yourself a moral person.

And why would option 1 include condoning animal abuse?  That's just a straw man.  Option 2...well, yea, I think that is the rational conclusion of believing animal pain and life has non-trivial importance.

Because someone here said that killing an animal for food is no different from abuse them. So logically if one approves of killing for food one also can't disaprove the abuse of animals. If I have to choose between the 2 of them I'd choose the first option because it has less incongruencies. Also I think that abusing an animal is different from abusing a human, thus the judicial penalty must be different.

But choosing option 1 is human bigotry. Take it to the last consequences and it allows for the abuse and exploit of all other life forms that may be sentient. How would we treat a perfectly feasable human/chimp Hybrid? should we chain him or give him a job?

For the sake of sanity I recommend the following clips:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/extraordinary-animals-chimpan-genius.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zOWYj59BXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTCSyF1muIg&has_verified=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaGI3RXE2_M

I will justify my compromise: By saying that I place my boundary in making a social contract for every species. So a chimpanzee will have a different social contract to humans than a fly. The attribute to differentiate the species would be intelligence. The more intelligence and self awareness the animal has the more "human rights" the animal will have.

Some Domesticated animals are too much changed by directed evolution from us that many can't survive in the wild anymore without assistance. So these have to remain in our care. Conditions have to improve though... no more animal farming in closed spaces, no more artificial rations, no more genetic improvements, no more growth hormones or any other chemicals besides vaccines. I haven't decided on how to go on medical experiments yet.

I also see nothing wrong with pets as long as they have the freedom to come and go out of our protection as they like. However if this animal doesn't have the skills to live outside on their own, the release shouldn't happen (unless the animal is in pain from captivity). Having a pet is many times like parenting: The child wants to do something, but we know better that if the child does what he wants he's going to get hurt. So if having a pet is slavery, so is taking care of a child...

As a rule animals should have the freedom to roam the world as they like unless there is a danger to public health or a danger to the animal itself.

I'm not against bestiality as long as the animal doesn't get hurt. It is fairly easy to know if the animal consents by body language signs.

Human species is omnivorous and there is mounting evidence that the healthier food for us is the Paleolithic diet. We have been eating meat for millions of years. What makes us ill is the processed foods of the 20th century. This and the fact that many domesticated animals can't live in the wild is the main reason why I don't oppose eating meat. Although I think we occidentals eat too way much meat!

Humans occupy too much of the planet. Our population should be reduced voluntarily to give place to more greener areas creating "heavens" for animal and plant life to which we could interact sustainably

Suddenly the 21st century man feels like he is so morally superior that wants to persecute meat eaters as murderers, but ironically doesn't worry about 1billion people in hunger and a child dying every 30sec because of famine...

Blake
    atheistScience Freak
    User is offlineOffline
    Beyond Saving wrote:Arguing

Beyond Saving wrote:
    Arguing that people who abuse animals might indicate they will go on the abuse humans is the most rational argument you have made throughout the thread.

Certainly the strongest, but only because the rest are non-existent.  This would only be a good argument if our laws actually removed those humans, or if our prison systems actually reformed and corrected psychopathy instead of (in many cases) arguably making it more pronounced.

There is an argument for simply killing people off (or permanently imprisoning those) who enjoy hurting animals for fun, because of the odds that their brains are wired in such a way to make them a danger to society.  There's not an argument for fining them or sending them into a lock-up for a few months, which merely makes them more careful about not getting caught, or bottles up that rage and frustration to be (possibly) later released on others.

It is a question of the brain chemistry of the person who is committing these acts which is the most likely causation behind the correlation- not as likely a matter of learned behavior, unless that learned behavior is a matter of social deviancy, and then the argument applies to any social deviant- or making society better conform to animal cruelty to provide an outlet for this aggression.

Atheistextremist wrote:

But how deep does the rabbit hole go?

As deep as you feel like digging.  I didn't prescribe a depth deliberately- that's a matter of personal conviction.

Personally, I have conviction to kill mosquitoes and other parasites, and lack distinct moral concern for anything that doesn't have two brain cells to rub together (Generally things too small to see, plants, fungi, sponges, and the like).  The matter at hand is consistency, however far you want to take that personally.

Want to eat anything with under a 50 IQ?  Go for it, but don't complain when somebody else decides to eat babies (or whatever else happens to be under 50 IQ).

Morality is only a slippery slope if you make it into one (and it does have some limits to how far it can go).  However, unless you're going to argue for nothing more than the barest form of social contract, you can't make the slippery slope argument against another opinion of morality while holding your own all the same.

Atheistextremist wrote:

In your morality is it the higher orders that are aware of pain that you resist harming through abuse - including eating? What about living plants? If we take universal ultruism to the ultimate conclusion - and harm nothing - can we still exist?

One presumes a functional morality to permit at least the bare minimum of action required to keep oneself alive- though the margin of comfort is one in question.  One could ask the question "what's the least harm I can do to keep myself alive?"- but as far as harm goes, there are limits to that, too.

Regarding a basis of empathy for morality- which is one of the more reasonable ones, given that is the actual response that elicits the most primitive moral impulses (aside from that which is built up memetically from arbitrary experience), there are some very important additional considerations:

First, empathy is founded in projected self interest- so it's technically both imprecise and inaccurate to empathize based on assumptions (such as a child empathizing with a teddy bear when said child assumes the toy doesn't want to be sat on).  In order to make it more precise and accurate (which would seem to be a practical goal if one wants one's actions to reflect reality), we need to understand the targets of our empathy better.

It is important to note that if a person has no interest in making their morality consistent with reality, then that that person really doesn't have any real interest in morality- that is to say, if they don't care what's really happening, but just about what they think is happening, that is an expression of apathy, not morality.  Any attempt at making morality consistent with reality- particularly if we use empathy as the basis- must, as such, have considerations for the precision and accuracy of that measurement- and as I'm sure you already know, any genuine attempt to actually understand what's going on in reality is based on science rather than whim or mythological tradition.

So, with regards to actual understanding of the subjects, a little more reason (and science) can come into play- such as the very premises of empathy requiring self-interest, which requires some sense of self awareness, and that the foundation of that self interest is expressed first though the avoidance of pain, by way of fear, and second in pursuit of pleasure, by way of hopes, dreams, ambitions, etc.

Due to this, empathy (and the morality it implies), must necessarily be rationally limited to those creatures with, as you put it, 'higher' awareness and the ability to feel pain; plants are fundamentally excluded from this, because they don't have any central awareness to regulate their perception and response to any stimuli- just local production of chemicals in a reflexive response which lacks any hallmarks of self awareness.  They lack a system of mind to comprehend the chemical signals, which instead of being processed, just go right to work- they may produce responses to damage, but it isn't pain in the sense of how we use the word, and so it should have no bearing in an empathy directed to  reflect the actual reality at hand.

As animals become simpler, there may be a point where they, too, cross that line- for example, organisms such as sponges.

So, there are certain things that are "right out" if one takes the basis of morality to be empathy (which is one of the only non-arbitrary things we can take it as).

If people want to empathize with plants, or stuffed animals, they are welcome to do that on their own time- but there is no rational argument that can be made to suggest that others also do so, or that it should be moral to do so.

After plants, fungi, and other simple organisms, though, we get a finer gradation from minuscule insects up to talking birds, pigs/hippos, elephants, cetaceans, and the great apes.  It is within that range that we find myriad opinions on which animals possess which qualities that bestow upon them various moral rights relative to various moral systems.

Atheistextremist wrote:
    You obviously have a balancing point in your own system. Where is it? What plant and animal products can we use given - and i say this without application of tongue to cheek - that we could probably get by on navy beans in tomato sauce and whichever fruits and veg we could discover whose seeds prefer a little digestion with their distribution?

As I expanded upon above, plants are not a consideration for anybody who is being rational beyond the implications of production/harvesting, as far as those adversely affect local animal ecology.  There are people called "fruitarians"- those people are not founding their morality upon reality wherein they hold that it is immoral to harm plants.  Wherein they hold that fruiting plants are more environmentally sound, that's another matter entirely.

As far as animals go, that's a matter of opinion, as far as degree of likeness/qualities that account for moral consideration.  I don't eat any animals that are large enough for me to see and avoid eating.  I kill small arthropods both accidentally and deliberately (such as mosquitoes)- as do most vegetarians.  There are some insects that I don't kill despite them being in my personal space and a potential threat (I usually won't kill wasps), but I can't necessarily judge anybody else for doing so because my not killing wasps is arbitrary compared to my killing mosquitoes (wasps arguably being more painful), unless I can come up with a good reason for not doing it.  That's not saying that I *do* judge anybody for killing insects in any situation, just that I couldn't judge them in that situation, even if I wanted to, because it would be inconsistent if I did so.

Anyway, what I do or think is pretty much irrelevant provided I'm not imposing it upon others (and I tend not to; or at least not even remotely to the degree that Sandycane does)- the driving point is consistency with personal beliefs/actions, and that which we impose upon others.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Atheistextremist
    atheist
    User is offlineOffline
    Thanks, Blake.

Yeah that all makes consistent sense. Interestingly, given my leather chaps and taste for flesh, I won't use insect spray. It's either the jandal or the vacuum cleaner.

I also wrestle with the killing of rodents, fluffy tho' they are. We have a place in the country they are convinced is for their private benefit. We resist poison, they ignore traps. If they stayed off the bench tops and stopped chewing their way into cupboards it would be easier but the buggers are incorrigible. Last time I was up they had eaten part of the bottom seal off the fridge door so it can't be used.

They get into beds, they frolic and cavort. They chew on the metal ceilings in the night in a most invidious way. If I lived up there I'd get a cat but no doubt it would eat the endangered native birds and ignore the rats.

Blake
    atheistScience Freak
    User is offlineOffline
    Sandycane wrote:You know,

Sandycane wrote:

You know, Blake, you and I got off on the wrong foot here. I don't like your style and you don't like mine. If, perhaps you hadn't been so condescending and ballistic in your replies to me, I would have sooner seen your POV...maybe not.

Thanks Sandy, sorry if we got off on the wrong foot.  I'm just not very patient with explaining things to people, as mellestad mentioned Eye-wink

Sorry if I can be abrasive.

Sandycane wrote:

Even though it is 'natural' for animals to eat other animals, I agree it isn't necessary to do so.

Right, and that's really my whole point.  As humans, we can make a choice and choose to do the least amount of harm that's necessary.

Anything more than necessary, whether it's eating meat, or using animals in another way that hurts them, all seem the same to me: unnecessary harm.

Sandycane wrote:

Another question comes to mind though: What about raising animals for pet food? Cats and dogs require a certain amount of animal protien in their diet. What do you do about that??? ...and don't say, 'don't keep pets'. While that may be a noble goal (like world peace), the reality is that people do keep pets NOW.

Actually, dogs don't require any animal protein in their diets- they can be vegan.

Cats require taurine, because unlike dogs and humans (and most animals), their bodies can't synthesize it.  That makes them obligate carnivores.

However, there is vegan cat food which has man made taurine added (it's just a small change to some amino acids- same stuff that's in red bull, I believe- it's *probably* done by some kind of fungus or bacteria; anyway, it's chemically identical), and that is suitable for cats.

The only caveat to that is that sometimes male cats are better off eating a little bit of animal protein.

The reason is that animal protein makes the urinary tract more acidic, and cats are prone to developing problems- particularly male cats.  There are other things you can add to the male cat's diet to increase the acidity, but it can be quite complex and might be risky for the cat.

Vegan cat pet sites advise only using vegan cat food for female cats, and *part* of the male cat's diet, and introducing small amounts of animal protein to the male cat's diet to treat the urinary tract condition.

See:  http://www.vegancats.com/veganfaq.php#1070

So, if it's necessary, it's necessary- for male cats, it might be that they really need a little bit (not much) meat.  And in those cases, we can try to be as humane as possible in the production of that meat (or even get ahold of free meat that would have gone to waste).

In the future, hopefully veterinary nutritional science can solve the problem and make vegan cat food healthy for male cats too.

The same is the case for humans when sick people need organs from animals to live, and some other situations.  There are some cases where other animals need to be killed to save human life- but those are 'one in a million' (maybe not actually one in a million, what I mean is uncommon), and becoming less common every year as medical science advances in its ability to regenerate organs and produce medications without using animals.

I would never protest animal use to save somebody's life (can't criticize somebody for self preservation, after all- that's practically the definition of 'need').

Blake
    atheistScience Freak
    User is offlineOffline
    Teralek wrote:Really Blake,

Teralek wrote:

Really Blake, we have to be balanced here. Extremism is often a poor choice for moral values (Atheistextremist no offense intended ).

If the rabbit hole went far enough I should waste time trying to push the fly outside. Also, I should never use pesticides against mice, ants or cockroaches.

I never claimed to be an extremist.

There's some difference in seeking out or raising animals to kill, and killing the ones that invade your space and threaten your livelihood.

Not all people agree with killing pests, but most do- I think that's a judgment call you'll have to make.

Teralek wrote:

Are these insects lesser than a chicken, an octupus or a crab? Why? I should even be carefull when cleaning my bed sheets because I would be killing Acari.

Less intelligent than?  Yes.

See my above commentary, though, regardless of that.

Teralek wrote:

However one of the key diference between animals and humans is that we have a moral conscience (this damn intelligence seems to be more of a problem than a gift sometimes )

I think maybe you answered your own question here Eye-wink

Teralek wrote:

But this doesn't invalidate the fact that there is a qualitative difference between "whacking an octopus with a racket and offing little octopi for tako salad". Does this matter to the octopus? Well... it may... Do you rather die by burning on a stake or by a lethal painless injection?

So it's moral for me to go around killing people by lethal injection because it would be less painful than burning to death?

I'm pretty sure the Octopus would rather not die, period- whether you decide to add more insult to the injury or not is fairly trivial compared to the magnitude of desire the octopus has to live.

Bear in mind, also, that octopi are not killed my lethal injection, but usually by being chopped up into bits while they're still alive and conscious (as is the case with most 'sea food', if not just tossed alive into boiling water).

Regardless of how you kill an animal, should its desire not to be killed be completely meaningless?

Teralek wrote:
    Moral is much about intentions and choosing the lesser evil in situations!

That doesn't make the lesser of the two evils right, because neither was necessary in the first place.

The least is not killing the octopus at all, and eating something else instead.

Teralek wrote:
    We can't be like all or nothing because if I'd have to ask the Octopus for consent to be in my eating plate I would also have to ask the Acari for consent to drown them in my washing machine.

Did the Acari ask for consent from you before populating your bed and feeding off you?

Tit for tat- the octopus did nothing to offend your personal autonomy.  If ever there comes a time when the octopus attacks you in your own bed and attempts to suck out your blood, then you can make a valid comparison.

Teralek wrote:

I also think that there are differences between living things. A Chipanzee has more independence and is more self aware than a fly so it must have a diferent social contract with humans.

I never suggested otherwise, but made a similar point.  I suggest you read the post I made in response to Atheistextremist above (two posts).

Blake
    atheistScience Freak
    User is offlineOffline
    mellestad wrote:Only if I

mellestad wrote:

Only if I fail to draw a (arbitrary) line between humans and animals.  Why wouldn't I?  All I have to do is assume that human suffering is important, and animal suffering is not.  With those assumptions my morality can be consistent.

Consistent with what?  A morality that is known to be inconsistent with reality is not a morality.

If you believed that reality justified that by word or a god, or souls that only exist in humans thus making animals p-zombies, then you could plead ignorance here.

Human-ness has no objective bearing on capacity to experience suffering, which in turn is required to justify empathy, which is the only basis we can give a morality in excess of the raw social contract that is founded in reality (others are purely memetic, and only work as a basis for morality if you're ignorant of that fact).

You could say 'human suffering is the only one that matters'- but you fail to provide a basis for that claim contrary to knowing better.  As you have said yourself, it's arbitrary, and you yourself know that it isn't consistent with any realitistic capacity to suffer- otherwise you just could have equally defined it as capacity to suffer.

If a Muslim doesn't know the Quran is fiction, he or she can base a moral system upon it.  If he or she does know that it is at odds with reality, then he or she can not legitimately do this.

You're not getting out of this that easily, don't think I don't know your tricks :P  Your own intelligence is your enemy here.

mellestad wrote:
    @Blake: What *is* your basis for choosing to respect animal welfare?  Is it just empathy?  If you get specific about this in your response to someone else, just ignore this.

I went into this a little in my response to Atheistextremist- please let me know if that doesn't go into enough detail.

mellestad wrote:

When talking about humans, I think you can make a case that respecting some human rights is a good enough general rule to adopt in universally.  Things don't tend to go well when you don't respect basic rights, and so you can at least have a basis for making that moral assumption in differentiating between humans and non-humans.

You can only make that argument with regards to arbitrary violations or ammendments to the social contract.

The things that you can make a practical argument for are covered by social contract- and this simply does not include those who are not inherently part of the social contract (babies, slaves, etc).

This does *not* differentiate between humans and non humans, because it doesn't include all humans.  Where they can actually be argued, they are not human rights, but elements of the social contract for those members that are in power.

mellestad wrote:
    However, nothing bad seems to happen when we treat animals badly, and there certainly isn't anything in our nature that makes harming animals a bad thing...most research I've seen indicates the only reason we have empathy for animals is more or less a case of our subconcious anthropomorphizing non-humans in such a way that our human-empathy starts to cover other species as well...typically easier the cuter they are.

That's absolutely why we empathize with other species of animals, AND it's also why we empathize with people from other tribes which are not closely related to us, and with members of other clans/families, and with progeny that is not our own.  And it's also why children empathize with toys.

You aren't suggesting that we cull all empathy that is not strictly practical in an evolutionary sense, are you?  Because it's only directly relatives we need to be empathizing with; the rest can come about by pragmatism out of a pure social contract.  If you're advocating that, then we're back to tolerating the baby sex farm- as long as they aren't your babies the person is taking (and as I explained, that's covered by theft, treating the babies as property).

mellestad wrote:
    I'm not hostile to the idea of changing my moral compass about critters, but my two questions are: 1) Why bother?  2) How do we decide what deserves protection and what doesn't?

1) Consistency?  Why do be bother being atheists?

2) Aside from rationally excluding plants and other such things, any line we draw is a judgement call- recognizing people who extend that moral protection farther as more self-sacrificing and empathetic.

You could start by considering what kind of people are O.K. to harm or kill- brain dead people?  Those who are retarded past a certain level?  A certain age of child?- and draw the line there, and have a look at what falls over or under that line, and adjust it as needed to mesh with your particular degree of empathy

You could consider other factors, like whether they are generally a threat to you or are harming you (Moqsuitoes, Extremist Muslims?) and raise or lower their protected stature based on that on the basis of self defense (defending your own autonomy).

The latter doesn't necessarily change their ability to feel pain or their self awareness, but it is a justification in terms of self defense.

If you accept a more subjective justification like, "It's ugly and it was assaulting my sense of sight", just bear in mind that somebody might use the same justification against you if they don't like the look of you, and you can't complain Eye-wink

That is, self defense or protection of personal autonomy is an important one, and it's covered in any social contract- not liking what somebody looks like is not.

So, if you want to protect dogs and not Earth worms, then draw a line in between them based on some objective standard relating to empathy or the social contract- and just be consistent with respect to other animals on either side of that same line.  If you consider IQ and draw the line just below dogs, it may mean that you can't eat pork anymore, but that you can still eat most fish, for example (I don't know the IQs of enough animals to give a very good list here, but I'm sure you could find one).

Blake
    atheistScience Freak
    User is offlineOffline
    Beyond Saving wrote:I am not

Beyond Saving wrote:

I am not disagreeing that it is permissible. Simply that it is not required.

It's not required that anybody *must* do it personally, but it *IS* required that anybody has the right to do it.

I see where you're confused here though:

Beyond Saving wrote:
    All that is required is for one or more of the groups powerful enough to negotiate to say "Hey, we should include group x in the social contract or else".

Likewise a powerful group of animal rights activists could demand that the social contract in practice include all primates, or even cows as well.

This is not a pure social contract- this is one with impositions of moralizing from a powerful member.

This is *normal* for modern society- in fact I doubt there is a single society functioning without such impositions upon the social contract- but this does not derive from social contract, and is not included in a pure social contract.

By allowing a party of the contract to stipulated additional conditions be added based on moral principles, you've completely invalidated the entire concept.

Any member in a pure social contract can *only* speak for his or her own inclusion- and further may claim and protect personal property (such as his children, slaves, or women- if the women aren't powerful enough to negotiate inclusion)- but may not speak for the inclusion of others who can not speak for themselves.  That's different- that's imposition of moral law by a powerful lobby.

Beyond Saving wrote:
    You are right that there is no reason the contract MUST include all humans but neither is there a reason it CAN'T.

There is, and that reason is that as soon as it does include a member who has not negotiated his or her own inclusion, is it no longer strictly a pure social contract, but a more complex societal contract based partially on the social contract, but also on moral lobbies, tradition, culture, scripture, and any number of other arbitrary factors.

Beyond Saving wrote:
    It really is decided by the groups forming the contract and it will be arbitrary in the sense that it is based on their preferences.

In practice, the social contracts that exist are, but that's because they are "tainted" with any number of other arbitrary factors- including moral laws.  I thought we were discussing the ideologically pure social contract, founded on reason?

I'll have to address the rest later.  *fatigue*

If I missed anybody, please speak up.

mellestad
    User is offlineOffline
    Shit.  Blake, you prick, I

Shit.  Blake, you prick, I don't want to be a vegan.  Sad

We'll see how I justify my dissonance tomorrow after I'm rested.

Teralek
    Teralek's picture
    User is offlineOffline
     Blake, everything you've

Blake, everything you've said seems to make sense. I make the same distinction on what living beings I can eat/abuse, I put this distinction on IQ. However I'm more permissive...

Blake wrote:
    Want to eat anything with under a 50 IQ? Go for it, but don't complain when somebody else decides to eat babies (or whatever else happens to be under 50 IQ).

True, but what if I say: I will eat any species that can't have an intelligence above 50 IQ(this number is arbitrary)? This way around I would circumvent the eating of babies and any "retarded" individual animal (because I'm putting the focus on species rather than the individual). I think I'm being consistent in light of my post #175.

I guess I should stop eating cows and pigs and start eating only chicken or turkeys because they are more stupid!  I guess I must know about a species IQ before eating it, and not live in ignorance as I did.

I must ask you though... Imagine everyone was like you morally. What would become of the domesticated species like cows and chickens??

South Park Episode Whale Whores, masterfully worked the subject of moral consistency with animals

“Good job, son. Now the Japanese are normal, like us.”

Sandycane
    atheist
    Sandycane's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    Blake wrote:Sandycane

Blake wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

You know, Blake, you and I got off on the wrong foot here. I don't like your style and you don't like mine. If, perhaps you hadn't been so condescending and ballistic in your replies to me, I would have sooner seen your POV...maybe not.

Thanks Sandy, sorry if we got off on the wrong foot.  I'm just not very patient with explaining things to people, as mellestad mentioned Eye-wink

Sorry if I can be abrasive.
    That's okay, I know I have of gift of bringing out the worst in people. So, it wasn't entirely your fault. Another 'problem' I have is that I seek out the company of people who are smarter than I am - I never considered how frustrating my inferiority could be to them. Last night I seriously considered bowing out of this forum because I realized I am in way over my head but, I can't do that because I like learning new things...so, y'all will just have to put up with me.

Sandycane wrote:

Even though it is 'natural' for animals to eat other animals, I agree it isn't necessary to do so.

Quote:
    Right, and that's really my whole point.  As humans, we can make a choice and choose to do the least amount of harm that's necessary.

Anything more than necessary, whether it's eating meat, or using animals in another way that hurts them, all seem the same to me: unnecessary harm.
    So, basically you're saying, doing harm to another creature comes down to protecting yourself or your property, right? If this is true, what do you consider as 'your property'? I pay federal income taxes so, technically, the entire US is 'my property', right? And, how do you define 'necessary harm'? If a mosquito bites me, is his intent to cause harm or just to get a meal? Do I have the right to inflict necessary harm to get a meal or, only if my life is being threatened? Should the necessary harm inflicted only be equal to the perceived threat?

Sandycane wrote:

Another question comes to mind though: What about raising animals for pet food? Cats and dogs require a certain amount of animal protein in their diet. What do you do about that??? ...and don't say, 'don't keep pets'. While that may be a noble goal (like world peace), the reality is that people do keep pets NOW.

Quote:
    Actually, dogs don't require any animal protein in their diets- they can be vegan.

Cats require taurine, because unlike dogs and humans (and most animals), their bodies can't synthesize it.  That makes them obligate carnivores.

However, there is vegan cat food which has man made taurine added (it's just a small change to some amino acids- same stuff that's in red bull, I believe- it's *probably* done by some kind of fungus or bacteria; anyway, it's chemically identical), and that is suitable for cats.

The only caveat to that is that sometimes male cats are better off eating a little bit of animal protein.

The reason is that animal protein makes the urinary tract more acidic, and cats are prone to developing problems- particularly male cats.  There are other things you can add to the male cat's diet to increase the acidity, but it can be quite complex and might be risky for the cat.

Vegan cat pet sites advise only using vegan cat food for female cats, and *part* of the male cat's diet, and introducing small amounts of animal protein to the male cat's diet to treat the urinary tract condition.

See:  http://www.vegancats.com/veganfaq.php#1070

So, if it's necessary, it's necessary- for male cats, it might be that they really need a little bit (not much) meat.  And in those cases, we can try to be as humane as possible in the production of that meat (or even get ahold of free meat that would have gone to waste).

In the future, hopefully veterinary nutritional science can solve the problem and make vegan cat food healthy for male cats too.
    Is there any subject you know nothing about?  Exactly my problem: I have 7, male, neutered house cats and three of them (one is deceased now) have had to have surgery for urinary track blockage - that's why I pay more for their 'special' cat food. The European Starling, too, requires the chicken protein and the taurine in his diet. While I don't like the usual source of the meat in these feeds, I have no other choice but to buy them as is. That is why I harp on raising and slaughtering animals in a humane way - I've seen the video where they drop the live peeps in the grinder.

Sandycane
    atheist
    Sandycane's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    You know, there is something

You know, there is something else to be considered regarding the subject of eating animals vs. not: Economics.

I saw somewhere, maybe the movie Food Inc., a poor family being interview in the grocery store. The mother made a valid point that she can feed her family cheaper at say McDonald's than if she were to buy fresh fruit and veggies at the market. This is true. For nutritional purposes, I can either buy a white onion for $1.50 at WalMart or, I can buy a burger at Sonic for $1.00. If I were to only consider my financial status and not the well being of poor slaughtered cows, it is more logical to buy the burger, is it not?

Teralek
    Teralek's picture
    User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

You know, there is something else to be considered regarding the subject of eating animals vs. not: Economics.

I saw somewhere, maybe the movie Food Inc., a poor family being interview in the grocery store. The mother made a valid point that she can feed her family cheaper at say McDonald's than if she were to buy fresh fruit and veggies at the market. This is true. For nutritional purposes, I can either buy a white onion for $1.50 at WalMart or, I can buy a burger at Sonic for $1.00. If I were to only consider my financial status and not the well being of poor slaughtered cows, it is more logical to buy the burger, is it not?

"We should not give (crappy) food to the poor but ask why the poor have no food"

I eat meat but I don't have the courage to kill most animals I eat... I guess I'm an hypocrite...

Sandycane
    atheist
    Sandycane's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Yeah that all makes consistent sense. Interestingly, given my leather chaps and taste for flesh, I won't use insect spray. It's either the jandal or the vacuum cleaner.

I also wrestle with the killing of rodents, fluffy tho' they are. We have a place in the country they are convinced is for their private benefit. We resist poison, they ignore traps. If they stayed off the bench tops and stopped chewing their way into cupboards it would be easier but the buggers are incorrigible. Last time I was up they had eaten part of the bottom seal off the fridge door so it can't be used.

They get into beds, they frolic and cavort. They chew on the metal ceilings in the night in a most invidious way. If I lived up there I'd get a cat but no doubt it would eat the endangered native birds and ignore the rats.

I know exactly what you're talking about! I have a place in the country that I live in. I have a barn with a built-in chick coop and an attached pen. Back in the Spring I noticed that the chicks seemed to be eating an awful lot of feed...then I noticed huge holes in the plastic can I kept the feed in...then, one day, I came face to face with a rat in the can. I said,'Oh, you poor thing, you can't get out!' So, I gently scooped him out and sent him on his way. Well, after that, I heard a lot of racket every time I went near the barn - especially at night. I decided to buy a metal can but, then I saw droppings in the hanging feeder. I stopped putting food in the feeder and tossed out just enough for the chicks to eat during the day.I searched for humane ways to get rid of them and tried them all but none worked.So, after dark one night I went out there with a flashlight. OMG!!! I felt like I was in the movie Willard! They were literally spilling out over and under the door and walls going after the crumbs left by the chicks! I hated to do it but, the next day I went to the co-op and bought poison. It worked and in two weeks the barn stank like a morgue and I had to begin the process of removing them to the brush pile. That was bad enough but, I felt so bad for the ones that had been poisoned but weren't dead yet.  You know what though? I learned a valuable lesson: don't leave out available food for the rats and don't stack up bales of hay next to the food source! It was entirely my fault because I had unknowingly set up, literally, a rat bed and breakfast retreat in the barn.

My advice to you: if you value your property in the country, exterminate the rats, eliminate their access to it and get some cats!

Blake
    atheistScience Freak
    User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

Fast food companies do unfortunately have somewhat of a monopoly on food, and because of that they can drive their prices down lower than they aught to be.

A large part of what makes this food cost so little is, unfortunately, government subsidies on feed and water- in no natural economy are vegetables more expensive than meat (in most of Asia, it's the other way around in a big way)- and that's a political obstacle that needs to be addressed.

That point aside, though, when the public at large is making these kinds of demands, that ends up being what's most visibly available- but if you know how to shop smart, you can eat vegetarian much cheaper than fast food.

When I'm living in the states, I spend about $2 a day on food, sometimes a little bit more, and I guarantee you that it's healthier than anything Sonic sells Eye-wink

One just has to know what to buy- onions aren't it (wonderful as they may be, they're almost always over priced for what you get).

You can purchase whole grain flour and make your own fresh bread for pennies (using a sourdough culture you keep everyday is a great way; you only need a few minutes of kneading in your routine for the day- which is good exercise anyway).

Soy beans can be bought in large bulks on the internet, a good protein and fiber source, and making soymilk is simple, and yields additional fiber bulk that you can put into the bread for an additional dose of fiber that you don't even notice.

Whole grain noodles are a great base for a meal, and you can make those yourself too (pasta grinders are an initial investment, but if you get a good one it pays for itself quickly- whole grain noodles sold at stores are just marked up so high).

Healthy food isn't expensive because it needs to be, but because:

1.  Fewer people buy them, so the healthy foods spend more time on the store shelves, taking up valuable shelf real estate.

2. Because fewer people buy them, they also manufacture and move in lower bulk, limiting the negotiating power of the retailers, and the efficiency of manufacture and distribution.

3. People after healthy food are usually in a higher income bracket, so the stores and manufacturers can mark them up for additional profit by marketing their healthy value.

As far as vegetables, it's all about the frozen aisle- buy the less popular greens like collards in large bags, and you can save a bundle.  Spinach is usually over-priced.

Carrots are a great go-to root vegetable, and you'll almost always get your money's worth there.

And then, of course, nuts- you can buy raw nuts in large bulks online (no extra oil or salt, and they taste better)- they make a great healthy snack with good fats and loads of protein and minerals.

Sometimes you can find it locally at a health food store, but you can also buy crystalline citric acid, which works in a pinch instead of lemon juice (which is expensive) on greens with a bit of salt.

You can also get flax seeds (highly recommended) and keep them in the freezer.  Use a coffee grinder and put them on anything (they taste good if they're fresh- if they're old they aren't good) and they offer good fatty acids.

And, of course, can't forget the olive oil, and the giant bulk cans of tomato paste (I never buy tomato sauce, it's never worth it).

A good assortment of beans, grains, and the right kinds of vegetables and seasonings (the kind that you get the most bang for your buck with), will keep *me* in high-protein, high-fiber food for a couple dollars a day.

Sandycane wrote:
    If I were to only consider my financial status and not the well being of poor slaughtered cows, it is more logical to buy the burger, is it not?

Depends, do you count the medical bills from eating the burgers everyday and no vegetables? Eye-wink

Such a significant decision is never an island unto itself.

If you shop smart, though, you might find healthy vegetarian food is cheaper (I've lived pretty much all over, and I've never found anywhere I couldn't eat for about that).

I have to go now,
    Will post more tomorrow.

Sandycane
    atheist
    Sandycane's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    Thanks, Blake for the good

Thanks, Blake for the good diet info...I'm going to have to search some new recipes.

I eat oatmeal with cinnamon and fresh ground pecans (I have 5 pecan trees in the yard - and this year there is a bumper crop!) every morning for breakfast. For lunch, I usually make an omelet with fresh eggs and peppers, onion, garlic portabellas and a slice of Swiss on top. I don't eat dinner but, if I get hungry, I'll have some cheese and crackers and an apple or pear. I drink mostly filtered/RO bottled water, and a small glass of fruit juice for breakfast with the oatmeal. If we eat out, I prefer veggies, pasta or a salad. The Sonic visits were no more than once a week - yesterday, I stopped just to get the watermelon cream slush (and the sign IS gone!).

I do try to eat healthy, and prefer to buy 'organic' but, it's not always available in this area...and shipping charges usually prohibit me from ordering off the Internet.

Have a good one. I've got to get busy picking up pecans before the storms arrive. I had to put up a shade cloth cover on part of my chicken pen this morning because one of my chicks disappeared yesterday. No feathers scattered, just disappeared. My guess is, it was a hawk...and he'd be back for the others if I didn't do something to cover them. 

Gauche
    atheist
    Gauche's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    Eating vegetables doesn't

Eating vegetables doesn't get you out of killing. You still have to kill insects and rodents so they don't eat it first. So, one person raises a pig and kills it for food and another plants a garden and kills a wild pig that digs under their fence. Both people killed a pig.

Now you might say that is the difference between killing because you want to and killing because you have to, but if killing is a foregone conclusion then the choice is illusory.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
    H.P. Lovecraft

Beyond Saving
    atheist
    Beyond Saving's picture
    User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

Well you could just buy a deer license for $20. One to two deer should be enough to feed you  for a year. Especially if you supplement with small game such as squirrels, rabbits and small birds. Or you can purchase a whole cow to slaughter yourself for around .80 cents a pound.

If you are persistent in going the vegetarian direction look around your area for local farmers and ask them for special pricing on a bulk order. You should be able to purchase anything grown in your area for up to 50% off the store prices if you buy it in bulk. Most fruits and vegetables can be preserved by dehydrating, freezing or canning. And like Blake mentioned soy beans, rice, lentils, beans and most grains can be purchased in bulk dirt cheap and are healthy and filling. They also have the benefit of really long shelf lives and can actually taste pretty good with a little effort.  

Both approaches (or combination of the two) will be substantially cheaper and healthier than eating at Sonic. If money is your main concern going to the store is always going to be more expensive then doing it yourself whether you go the carnivore or vegetarian approach and buying whatever you can in bulk will save you a ton of money. Especially if you can get it wholesale. If an entire meal costs me more than $3 I consider it an extravagance. So don't let cost be an excuse to eat unhealthy! The only excuse is convenience because it is easier to just go to Sonic.     

Atheistextremist
    atheist
    User is offlineOffline
    What about fish?

Are fish, with their 7 brain cells and scrumptious flanks, considered sentient beings or are they (ahem) lambs for the slaughter?

And kangaroos? We have 50,000,000 of them scampering about and they are culled to keep their numbers down. Can the carcases of the government sponsored dead be eaten given they would go to waste otherwise?

mellestad
    User is offlineOffline
    What Gauche points out is

What Gauche points out is what I've been wrestling with for the past day.  Even if I have a totally vegan diet, nearly every aspect of my industrialized life kills animals...to eliminate willful and trivial animal killing I'd have to:

Never drive a car or ride public transport.

Never eat any industrial food, even plants.

Never buy any product that has been shipped by truck, plane, rail or boat.

Never buy anything that required resources to be gathered in an industrial way.  This includes just about everything.

Etc.

I'd literally be left with no 'consistent' moral action that did not consist of living in a hut made of natural fibers, eeking by on very careful subsistence farming without any tools past those from the iron age.  Perhaps if a community of such folk could gather, it might be a bit easier...maybe.  Or back to shooting yourself I suppose.

So what to do?

Do I live life with a consistent morality, and go whole hog?

Draw an arbitrary line based on convenience as far as what level of harm is acceptable?

Or back to square one, where you grant arbitrary rights to humans, because it seems to work, which is just an outshoot of the last option?

Option 1 sounds shitty.  Option 2 and 3 are both hypocritical, so you'd have to deal with the fact that your morality is based on nothing more than acceptable inconvenience.  Option 3 has the benefit of allowing whatever behavior makes you happy.

What are your thoughts, Blake?

Sandycane
    atheist
    Sandycane's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    I think I know what Blake

I think I know what Blake will say: Choose whatever you are comfortable with and be consistant in applying that choice, to yourself and to others.

Am I close, Blake?

Sandycane
    atheist
    Sandycane's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    Beyond Saving wrote: Well

Beyond Saving wrote:

Well you could just buy a deer license for $20. One to two deer should be enough to feed you  for a year. Especially if you supplement with small game such as squirrels, rabbits and small birds. Or you can purchase a whole cow to slaughter yourself for around .80 cents a pound.

No I couldn't. You forget I won't kill an animal for food. Besides, in that previous post, I was talking about 'poor' people...I don't yet put myself in that category. A family that lives in a city, in a housing project can't very well go out a kill a deer or a bunny for dinner. Besides, if everyone decided to do that, they would go extinct in no time.

Quote:
    If you are persistent in going the vegetarian direction look around your area for local farmers and ask them for special pricing on a bulk order. You should be able to purchase anything grown in your area for up to 50% off the store prices if you buy it in bulk. Most fruits and vegetables can be preserved by dehydrating, freezing or canning. And like Blake mentioned soy beans, rice, lentils, beans and most grains can be purchased in bulk dirt cheap and are healthy and filling. They also have the benefit of really long shelf lives and can actually taste pretty good with a little effort.  
    Actually, WalMart has better prices than the local farmers market (and better quality & selection, too).

Quote:
    Both approaches (or combination of the two) will be substantially cheaper and healthier than eating at Sonic. If money is your main concern going to the store is always going to be more expensive then doing it yourself whether you go the carnivore or vegetarian approach and buying whatever you can in bulk will save you a ton of money. Especially if you can get it wholesale. If an entire meal costs me more than $3 I consider it an extravagance. So don't let cost be an excuse to eat unhealthy! The only excuse is convenience because it is easier to just go to Sonic.     

Agreed. $1.49 for milk??? I get the Horizons Organic at WalMart and pay $3.50...and, to me, it's worth every penny.

mellestad
    User is offlineOffline
    Sandycane wrote:I think I

Sandycane wrote:

I think I know what Blake will say: Choose whatever you are comfortable with and be consistant in applying that choice, to yourself and to others.

Am I close, Blake?

And I'm asking Blake how you justify a middle ground choice.  If I'm not willing to be a hermit because it isn't convenient, then is there any reason to bother with any of it, beyond what I find personally distasteful?

That still puts me back to where I started, only now with acknowledged hypocrisy.  Blake has been arguing that you can be internally consistent, so I'm wondering how he personally avoids the problem.

mellestad
    User is offlineOffline
    @Sandy: You know 'organic'

@Sandy: You know 'organic' doesn't mean anything, right?

Gauche
    atheist
    Gauche's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    What about the idea that as

What about the idea that as you eat so shall you be eaten? In my opinion it's much more hypocritical to have your body cremated than to eat other animals. It's like being an elitist. Usually though the system seems pretty reciprocal to me.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
    H.P. Lovecraft

Sandycane
    atheist
    Sandycane's picture
    User is offlineOffline
    mellestad wrote:@Sandy: You

mellestad wrote:

LOL  'Oh no. Here we go'. This thread has more side tracks than the Chattanooga railroad swithching yard.

Yes, it does mean something and I can't wait to see why you think it does not.

mellestad
    User is offlineOffline
    Sandycane wrote:mellestad

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:

LOL  'Oh no. Here we go'. This thread has more side tracks than the Chattanooga railroad swithching yard.

Yes, it does mean something and I can't wait to see why you think it does not.

There are barely any standards for the term...organic milk can come from doped cows fed grain mulch and chicken guts while being beaten with barbed wire 18 hours a day.

That's all I mean.

That doesn't mean your organic milk is evil, it just means that you shouldn't put any trust in the word organic to accomplish your moral due diligence about food choices.