Greetings From Cleveland

silverbeetle
silverbeetle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings From Cleveland

Hello all. My name's Scott, and I hail from Cleveland, Ohio, in the USA. I found this site after seeing one of the Rational Response Squad debates with Kirk Cameron videos on YouTube.  I'm married, and the father of two boys: one 18 and one 13. The 18 year old I would describe as an agonostic, because he doesn't seem totally convinced of the absence of any entity that one might term a god. The 13-year-old is an outspoken atheist - at no prompting from me. For both of them, my wife and I have tried to not give them any sort of religious beliefs one way or the other, and have allowed them to chose their owns paths.

As for me, I hesitate to say I don't believe in God, because to me that implies that I acknowledge that God exists, but that I am not one of his followers. So what I usually say is that I don't believe that gods exist. So yeah, I guess you could call me an atheist. For me, not believing in gods is the same as not believing that there is a kookaburra in the room with me. I would say that it's fairly certain objectively that there are no kookaburras in the room, but if I chose to believe that there was one in the room, that wouldn't make it so. Therefore, it doesn't really matter what I believe; reality is reality.

Anyway, I hope to become an active member of this community and look forward to some lively, but civil, discussions.

Scott

Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome to the forums, I

Welcome to the forums,

I am also in Ohio and my job makes me bounce around the state. Oooooh look a kookaburra. Ah, it was just there a second ago, you missed it. 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. 

Welcome.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.