'Pulpit Freedom Sunday' to Defy IRS

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
'Pulpit Freedom Sunday' to Defy IRS

http://abcnews.go.com/US/defiant-pastors-irs-pulpit-freedom-sunday/story?id=11726610

Should be interesting how all this plays out. I wonder if the IRS is going to send in agents to record the sermons. So much for seperation of church and state. The almighty dollar rules. Is nice to see America's two most irrational institutions(our tax code and religion) fight each other for a change.

I'd like to see the whole concept of tax exemptions for so called 'non-profits' be ruled unconstitutional. It does violate equal protection.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Taxing willfull igorance

Taxing willfull igorance and rewarding critical thinking sounds more realistic if society wants to progress.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote: Taxing

robj101 wrote:

Taxing willfull igorance and rewarding critical thinking sounds more realistic if society wants to progress.

Well, we have the lottery to tax ignorace. Just need more things like that.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:robj101

EXC wrote:

robj101 wrote:

True.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:robj101

EXC wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Yeah, but religion has a much better ignorance tax going, who pays 10% of their income for lottery tickets? And the church doesn't even have to award a jackpot. At least the ignorant who get lottery tickets have a chance of getting something for their money.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Yeah,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yeah, but religion has a much better ignorance tax going, who pays 10% of their income for lottery tickets? And the church doesn't even have to award a jackpot. At least the ignorant who get lottery tickets have a chance of getting something for their money.

Yes, but the money doesn't go for schools, roads, military, etc... It goes strait into pastors pocket to go for things like hookers, polyester suits, jumbotrons, etc...

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 A pedophile take a video

A pedophile takes a video of himself with little children naked, and sends this video to police as an expression of his disagreement with the official law.  

Guess what?  

I don't understand where the IRS and the government are on all this.  I thought it should be pretty much a routine process - say "I support *** candidate" , get your IRS bill.   Why should I support with my tax the churches that are openly used as a platform for expressing political agendas with which I disagree.   

Also, think of a majority of church-goers who did not read their bible, but trust to every word of their pastor.  What a wonderful way it is then for a politician to pay pastor, so he says to his flock who will be the next major, senator, president, etc. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist wrote: A

100percentAtheist wrote:

A pedophile takes a video of himself with little children naked, and sends this video to police as an expression of his disagreement with the official law.  

Guess what?  

I don't understand where the IRS and the government are on all this.  I thought it should be pretty much a routine process - say "I support *** candidate" , get your IRS bill.   Why should I support with my tax the churches that are openly used as a platform for expressing political agendas with which I disagree.   

Also, think of a majority of church-goers who did not read their bible, but trust to every word of their pastor.  What a wonderful way it is then for a politician to pay pastor, so he says to his flock who will be the next major, senator, president, etc. 

Now if we could just get god to run for office we could tax them all....anyone care to legally change their name to "god"?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101

And your point is? Churches could donate to political candidates but if they did they would lose their tax exempt status. Corporations are not tax exempt.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:robj101

Beyond Saving wrote:

And your point is? Churches could donate to political candidates but if they did they would lose their tax exempt status. Corporations are not tax exempt.

They shouldn't be able to hold your job or union status hostage to secure votes for their candidates?

Oh, and love your sig.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Beyond Saving

jcgadfly wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

They shouldn't be able to hold your job or union status hostage to secure votes for their candidates?

Oh, and love your sig.

They shouldn't, and it is already illegal to threaten someones job to coerce them to vote one way or the other. But it is their money so they should be able to give it away to whomever they want. If they are dumbass enough to give it to politicians it serves them right. 

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tax Exemptions Available to

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Tax Exemptions

Churches are one of those areas where I wish "non-profit" meant just that. Every year, they'd break even or show a loss.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:EXC wrote:Tax

jcgadfly wrote:

Churches are one of those areas where I wish "non-profit" meant just that. Every year, they'd break even or show a loss.

Funny how they are don't exempt themselves from receiving government services. And why do they think they should be able to teach creationism since they exempt themselves from paying taxes for public schools? How convenient.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some of the pastors have

Some of the pastors have actually sent copies of their sermons endorsing candidates to the IRS. They are trying to provoke a court case that will probably decide this IRS rule is an unconstitutional restriction on free speech. The IRS is not taking the bait and letting them blatantly defy the law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stuart-whatley/2010-election-sees-new-ro_b_744590.html