Spirits

Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
Spirits

Ok, I'm not an atheist because I believe in spirits. I see apparitions and I get psychic advice from them as well. I actually heard from a spirit that told me my uncle was going to die soon and I went around and told the rest of the family that and then he passed away 3 months later. So that's why I believe in the spirit world. What is an atheist's viewpoint on that perspective?

 

L


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3718
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum,

Welcome to the forum, Lashonda.

We're not just going to believe anything you say. Do you have any evidence that any paranormal event actually ocurred? If so, please present it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Luminon it is

Brian37 wrote:

Luminon it is scientific fact, that even when awake we take in all sorts of data through our conscious input without being aware of it. Colors, smells, temperature, touch, taste, can all be taken in at the same time. That data is also taken in while we are asleep. Our brains are not partitioned like a hard drive. Our touch, taste, smell, sight, and memory portions of our brain still interact while we are asleep, even if we are unaware that is what is going on. We have plenty of brain scan studies that show this to be fact.

All right, so why do you doubt that some people are able to see something that others can't? It's a question of selecting the otherwise ignored brain input. As a child you can be unconditioned, perceiving pretty much everything, but then grownups tell you that spirits don't exist. So you forbid yourself to see them, to avoid ridiculing and anger of parents. In this way, part of conscious visual input is made unconscious. 

I still remember as at one lecture I stared forward on lecturer. And suddenly I noticed, that all people in front of me have auras. It was not retinal fatigue, the auras appeared only around people and not around non-living objects. I wasn't even visually focused at these people.
I made some more experiments with that, and it's more to it than just retinal fatigue. The substance of aura seems to rise from the person by bits and swirl around like smoke. I saw no colors, I'm just a beginner in that.

As for interaction of senses, do you want to say that there is some kind of synaesthesia? I mean, that the data for smell, touch and taste can get somehow subconsciously reformatted as sight or hearing and serve as a source of hallucinations? That doesn't sound very testable.

 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Brian37

Luminon wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Luminon it is scientific fact, that even when awake we take in all sorts of data through our conscious input without being aware of it. Colors, smells, temperature, touch, taste, can all be taken in at the same time. That data is also taken in while we are asleep. Our brains are not partitioned like a hard drive. Our touch, taste, smell, sight, and memory portions of our brain still interact while we are asleep, even if we are unaware that is what is going on. We have plenty of brain scan studies that show this to be fact.

All right, so why do you doubt that some people are able to see something that others can't? It's a question of selecting the otherwise ignored brain input. As a child you can be unconditioned, perceiving pretty much everything, but then grownups tell you that spirits don't exist. So you forbid yourself to see them, to avoid ridiculing and anger of parents. In this way, part of conscious visual input is made unconscious. 

I still remember as at one lecture I stared forward on lecturer. And suddenly I noticed, that all people in front of me have auras. It was not retinal fatigue, the auras appeared only around people and not around non-living objects. I wasn't even visually focused at these people.
I made some more experiments with that, and it's more to it than just retinal fatigue. The substance of aura seems to rise from the person by bits and swirl around like smoke. I saw no colors, I'm just a beginner in that.

As for interaction of senses, do you want to say that there is some kind of synaesthesia? I mean, that the data for smell, touch and taste can get somehow subconsciously reformatted as sight or hearing and serve as a source of hallucinations? That doesn't sound very testable.

 

 

I'm guessing that you don't have children?Children are uncondioned at birth but we have things called TV's and other people,etc which children are conditioned by. If you tell a 4 your old that you once had a puppy that was blue like the one on blues clue's, chances are they will believe you. Later in life they will figure out that it wasn't true but regardless, they will believe all the way up til they find out otherwise.

 

Auras are something totally different from what this girl is talking about. She has dead people talking to her. I don't recall right now that she said they appear before her but they speak to her. What are these experiments you made with these auras? Have you ever been really tired and walk out into the sun or rub your eyes hard and when you open them you see little "orbs". It looks like little bubbles floating around everywhere. In some cases I've noticed a smokey or hazy effect. So yeah, more than likely it was retinal fatigue. Of course this is what came to mind when I read "auras". Not to mention you are feeding this girls reason for wanting to tell lies.

 

Synaethesia is when people taste colors and words and yes it is testable. All of our senses work while we are sleeping. I'm a coffee junkie so if my husband makes coffee while I'm sleeping sometimes I wake up. I'm a hard sleeper but the smell has managed to wake me up on several occasions. The sense of hearing: Women with newborns do it all the time. The sense of feeling: Though you may not remember it when you wake up, if you are touched or bumped while sleeping you will jump and move away from what touched or bumped you. Not to get on the conversation of sex but if you touch your partner in that way while sleeping chances are they will draw closer to you and participate even while unconcious. Lastly, those auras are not a substance. You describe them as a "smoke" and " having no color ". It's a trick of the eye and the brain.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:jcgadfly

Lashonda wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Thanks everyone for taking this discussion seriously. It still seems that most who are participating in this discussion don't have a SERIOUS answer for when multiple people report the same sighting. That would mean people who see ghosts on different occasions but report the same image, at the same location are also hallucinating or losing their minds at that precise moment in time ALWAYS. That's an illogical conclusion from my perspective. 

 

You were given answers. I don't why you thought you could come here and actually find someone that would believe this but ok, live in your delusional world and I hope you don't (ever) have kids.

She was given answers. They weren't "Oh gosh, you're so right" so she thinks they weren't serious answers.

No, it really seems like everyone else is upset that that's not my response. However, this is a debate forum.

What's agitating me is that you are going to such great lengths to defend your position without even looking at the other side. All you've done is said how you know of the debunked spiritualists but your story is different. When we provide information that it's not different you keep insisting that it is (because it's your experience I guess).

Is your magic more special than all the others because you've seen/done it?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Brian37

Luminon wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Luminon it is scientific fact, that even when awake we take in all sorts of data through our conscious input without being aware of it. Colors, smells, temperature, touch, taste, can all be taken in at the same time. That data is also taken in while we are asleep. Our brains are not partitioned like a hard drive. Our touch, taste, smell, sight, and memory portions of our brain still interact while we are asleep, even if we are unaware that is what is going on. We have plenty of brain scan studies that show this to be fact.

All right, so why do you doubt that some people are able to see something that others can't? It's a question of selecting the otherwise ignored brain input. As a child you can be unconditioned, perceiving pretty much everything, but then grownups tell you that spirits don't exist. So you forbid yourself to see them, to avoid ridiculing and anger of parents. In this way, part of conscious visual input is made unconscious. 

I still remember as at one lecture I stared forward on lecturer. And suddenly I noticed, that all people in front of me have auras. It was not retinal fatigue, the auras appeared only around people and not around non-living objects. I wasn't even visually focused at these people.
I made some more experiments with that, and it's more to it than just retinal fatigue. The substance of aura seems to rise from the person by bits and swirl around like smoke. I saw no colors, I'm just a beginner in that.

As for interaction of senses, do you want to say that there is some kind of synaesthesia? I mean, that the data for smell, touch and taste can get somehow subconsciously reformatted as sight or hearing and serve as a source of hallucinations? That doesn't sound very testable.

 

Luminon, your idea assumes that the "otherwise ignored brain input" actually exists.

I used to see auras all the time. Then I had my cataract removed.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13689
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Brian37

Luminon wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Luminon it is scientific fact, that even when awake we take in all sorts of data through our conscious input without being aware of it. Colors, smells, temperature, touch, taste, can all be taken in at the same time. That data is also taken in while we are asleep. Our brains are not partitioned like a hard drive. Our touch, taste, smell, sight, and memory portions of our brain still interact while we are asleep, even if we are unaware that is what is going on. We have plenty of brain scan studies that show this to be fact.

All right, so why do you doubt that some people are able to see something that others can't? It's a question of selecting the otherwise ignored brain input. As a child you can be unconditioned, perceiving pretty much everything, but then grownups tell you that spirits don't exist. So you forbid yourself to see them, to avoid ridiculing and anger of parents. In this way, part of conscious visual input is made unconscious. 

I still remember as at one lecture I stared forward on lecturer. And suddenly I noticed, that all people in front of me have auras. It was not retinal fatigue, the auras appeared only around people and not around non-living objects. I wasn't even visually focused at these people.
I made some more experiments with that, and it's more to it than just retinal fatigue. The substance of aura seems to rise from the person by bits and swirl around like smoke. I saw no colors, I'm just a beginner in that.

As for interaction of senses, do you want to say that there is some kind of synaesthesia? I mean, that the data for smell, touch and taste can get somehow subconsciously reformatted as sight or hearing and serve as a source of hallucinations? That doesn't sound very testable.

 

How more simply can I put this.?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS, SPIRITS, GODS OR ANY KIND OF DISEMBODIED BEING! THERE ARE NO "AURAS" either. It is merely woo crap that people fall for because they don't understand their own brain or how strong the electro-chemical activity can be. When you combine that with mental defect, delusion with a strong desire to believe crap, people will believe it.

Human psychology explains why people believe stupid shit. If you want to believe the woman was sawed in half, you will believe it.

It is that simple.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:How more

Brian37 wrote:

How more simply can I put this.?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS, SPIRITS, GODS OR ANY KIND OF DISEMBODIED BEING! THERE ARE NO "AURAS" either. It is merely woo crap that people fall for because they don't understand their own brain or how strong the electro-chemical activity can be. When you combine that with mental defect, delusion with a strong desire to believe crap, people will believe it.

Human psychology explains why people believe stupid shit. If you want to believe the woman was sawed in half, you will believe it.

It is that simple.

Yeah, you're right. If you want to believe, you will believe. But I don't want to believe. Wanting things never got me anywhere or helped me to see anything. All that I ever take seriously came in times when I did not want anything and paid no attention to what I ever wanted. I have been through some really crazy stuff, but without slightest participation on my side. I experienced things that would scare the shit out of you and you'd have a really hard time rationalizing what happened. Hell, even I was scared. But only in retrospective. Initially I was not scared at all, thanks to my bizarre philosophy of reality. 

Don't talk to me about belief or wanting to believe. You may be right with believers, but here you miss the point. There are people who first observe and then believe, not vice versa. Mental defects and delusions are pathologic, but there is far more of woo crap observations than there is psychiatric patients, therefore much of that is not pathologic at all. People like me or Lashonda are the few young or brave or english-speaking ones that have the courage to step out of the closet at least through online anonymity. We aren't trolls, attention cravers, madmen or anything like that. Atheists aren't the only ones who want to get out of the closet with the truth about themselves. We also don't eat babies or poison wells.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Brian37

Luminon wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

How more simply can I put this.?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS, SPIRITS, GODS OR ANY KIND OF DISEMBODIED BEING! THERE ARE NO "AURAS" either. It is merely woo crap that people fall for because they don't understand their own brain or how strong the electro-chemical activity can be. When you combine that with mental defect, delusion with a strong desire to believe crap, people will believe it.

Human psychology explains why people believe stupid shit. If you want to believe the woman was sawed in half, you will believe it.

It is that simple.

Yeah, you're right. If you want to believe, you will believe. But I don't want to believe. Wanting things never got me anywhere or helped me to see anything. All that I ever take seriously came in times when I did not want anything and paid no attention to what I ever wanted. I have been through some really crazy stuff, but without slightest participation on my side. I experienced things that would scare the shit out of you and you'd have a really hard time rationalizing what happened. Hell, even I was scared. But only in retrospective. Initially I was not scared at all, thanks to my bizarre philosophy of reality. 

Don't talk to me about belief or wanting to believe. You may be right with believers, but here you miss the point. There are people who first observe and then believe, not vice versa. Mental defects and delusions are pathologic, but there is far more of woo crap observations than there is psychiatric patients, therefore much of that is not pathologic at all. People like me or Lashonda are the few young or brave or english-speaking ones that have the courage to step out of the closet at least through online anonymity. We aren't trolls, attention cravers, madmen or anything like that. Atheists aren't the only ones who want to get out of the closet with the truth about themselves. We also don't eat babies or poison wells.

I'v asked before, I think, but I don't remember.  Have you ever tried clinical medication, just to see what happens?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13689
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Brian37

Luminon wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

How more simply can I put this.?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS, SPIRITS, GODS OR ANY KIND OF DISEMBODIED BEING! THERE ARE NO "AURAS" either. It is merely woo crap that people fall for because they don't understand their own brain or how strong the electro-chemical activity can be. When you combine that with mental defect, delusion with a strong desire to believe crap, people will believe it.

Human psychology explains why people believe stupid shit. If you want to believe the woman was sawed in half, you will believe it.

It is that simple.

Yeah, you're right. If you want to believe, you will believe. But I don't want to believe. Wanting things never got me anywhere or helped me to see anything. All that I ever take seriously came in times when I did not want anything and paid no attention to what I ever wanted. I have been through some really crazy stuff, but without slightest participation on my side. I experienced things that would scare the shit out of you and you'd have a really hard time rationalizing what happened. Hell, even I was scared. But only in retrospective. Initially I was not scared at all, thanks to my bizarre philosophy of reality. 

Don't talk to me about belief or wanting to believe. You may be right with believers, but here you miss the point. There are people who first observe and then believe, not vice versa. Mental defects and delusions are pathologic, but there is far more of woo crap observations than there is psychiatric patients, therefore much of that is not pathologic at all. People like me or Lashonda are the few young or brave or english-speaking ones that have the courage to step out of the closet at least through online anonymity. We aren't trolls, attention cravers, madmen or anything like that. Atheists aren't the only ones who want to get out of the closet with the truth about themselves. We also don't eat babies or poison wells.

Luminon, you are not "brave", you merely think you "have something" and the only thing that something is is a misunderstanding of how your brain works. If you did, you would understand no matter how seemingly real or powerful your feelings are, what you think you see is merely all in your head.

Quote:
There are people who first observe and then believe, not vice versa. Mental defects and delusions are pathologic, but there is far more of woo crap observations than there is ps

First off "observing" in and of itself is not testing. You can see something and not know what you are seeing. Just like humans once thought the earth was flat.

Saying the sky is blue does not mean one knows why it it blue.

You think you "observe" something, but that is not testing.

Quote:
I experienced things that would scare the shit out of you and you'd have a really hard time rationalizing what happened.

You do know that it is possible to hallucinate while awake? A chemical imbalance can cause that. That can be caused by genetics, brain damage, emotional trauma, physical defect. You can have this without knowing it. So unless you see a professional neurologist and clinical psychologist, you don't know what natural brain event is causing you to have these "experiences".

Having a "nightmare" while awake doesn't make the "nightmare" real. It is all in your head, no matter how scary it may feel.

I doubt either you or I unless we were EMTs, or soldiers on a battle field could experience anywhere near what they do. If anyone sees scary shit, they do. You merely have something going on in your head you don't want to accept as being all in your head.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13689
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
To Luminon and the OP,None

To Luminon and the OP,

None of us here criticizing your claims is trying to make fun of them. Belief in these things is NATURAL, not in the sense that these things are real, anymore than belief in Vishnu or Thor or Allah makes those deities real. It is only natural in the sense that the human brain, combined with ignorance of neurology and psychology, manifests into situations where people end up believing what they think they see or feel as being real.

Belief in the absurd is the norm, not the exception. Humans did not evolve with all the facts or understanding of biology or the human brain. When a human hits something in front of them without understanding what is really going on, far to often will insert an answer that is absurd, replacing a natural reality they can't see.

None of us here either, are saying you are bad people. We are merely saying because of your lack of understanding of science you do not understand that these things that may seem real to you, are not.

For the same reason an amputee doesn't have an invisible foot when they feel phantom pain. The brain is very powerful in allowing for false perceptions.

God/s ghosts, spirits, ESP, ect ect ect are nothing but gap answers that are popular, but are still myth none the less. People believe these things, not because popularity makes something real, but because humans are more apt to accept something blindly, than to test it. We did not evolve as skepticism as our main goal, we evolved for the mundane goal of getting to the next generation. Evolution does not favor brains over brawn or brawn over brains.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
If these spirits are giving

If these spirits are giving you advise then they should be testable cases where we could verify they are giving you information you cannot get from another source.  I suggest doing an experiment where someone shuffles a deck of cards behind a wall.  Then holds up a card without showing you their face.  You would then ask the spirit to walk around the wall and get the cards information.  The card could be a simple playing card or it could be a word so that you don't have a 1/52 chance of being right.  After running the test say 100 times you would collect the number of correct answers and compare it to someone who guessed. 

Use a person you don't know to pull the cards.  This prevents some behavior identifies or vocal identifies that you could pick up on unless you are really quick at it like Darren Brown.  The wall is in place to prevent you from seeing the reflection in the eyes of the person with the card.  If that person also didn't know which card they were holding up that would probably be useful too. 

 

Rinse and repeat until you have done the experiment enough to satisfy your curiosity.

 

Keep in mind that this won't convince people and it shouldn't.  You would have to do this under scientific study, but at least it would establish to you what is really happening. If you can convince yourself with evidence you have gathered I suggest going to a more public approach.

 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


William N Clarke (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I'm an idiot.

I'm an idiot.


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
 Wolfwood wrote:So what are

 

Wolfwood wrote:
So what are the chances you're correct? Well, you're claiming something happened for which there is zero scientific evidence.
Actually, there's never zero scientific evidence for anything. People have done plenty of experiments and have captured it on film, recording devices, motion detectors, etc. What happens is a skeptic usually comes a long, such as yourself, and says, "That's not real. That tape is a forgery. CGI caused those effects." So, you use science and technology to dispute your claims, then you bash science and technology Head Bash when it disputes your claims. Interesting. For instance, everyone's said it repeatedly. They believe psychic phenomenon is not real. Everyone who professes to know the future is a fraud. Well, here's a popular example that recently aired on The Real Housewives of Atlanta. When the show first aired back in 2008, Kim Zolciak visited a psychic named Rose. At that time she only had two girls and was dating a married man named Big Poppa for several years. The psychic told her that by the time her youngest daughter was seven she would have another child, a boy, and a new romance in her life. Being that this is a reality show, it was all shot in chronological order. There was no editing that could take place three years earlier or three years later to make this prediction come true. Two years later, it is shown on air that she meets a football player named Kroy and she gets pregnant with a boy eight months later. Her daughter had just turned seven.  I predict, atheists will respond:Kroy knew about that particular episode and hit on Zolciak just so that Rose’s predictions would “appear” true DrunkThey ensured they were gonna have a boy by visiting a obgyn DrunkThey didn’t meet on a whim. Producers set that up so Rose’s predictions could get some airtime. I’m sure the conspiracy theories will be endless. 
Wolfwood wrote:
ABSOLUTELY everyone who reports a sighting either wants attention or is insane.
 Ever notice only clinically insane people come up with crazy conspiracy theories, then project all of their insanity on the rest of the world? 
Wolfwood wrote:
You want attention, like the majority of people who claim this ... So the only other option is to assume you're a lying little troll.
 No, you come across as the lying little troll. You constantly accuse me of lying without knowing anything about me. If you think I'm making stuff up bc I want attention from the likes of people like you, then you are the one that definitely needs meds. You sound gravely ill if you find comfort and understanding in that logic. In no uncertain terms I want you to realize this FACT: PimpingWolfwood, I don’t even like you, don’t care for you, don’t know you. If something bad were to happen to you, I would sleep peacefully at night bc I don’t care anything for you. Never have. Never will. And that goes for EVERYONE else with the same mentality. finger So trust I don’t want ANYTHING from you -- let alone your attention. You are dealing with delusions of grandeur and a narcissistic personality disorder if you misinterpret this thread or my response for anything more than what I’ve already spelled out in previous posts. 
Wolfwood wrote:
That's why you built your little scenario with the, "I wasn't the only one who saw it," tag -- so that we can't say, "oh, she's crazy!" What options do we have, then? Either to assume you're lying or correct.
You know what they say about assuming. 
Wolfwood wrote:
Saying, "lots o ppl hav seen ghosts 2!" doesn't disprove a damn things, because lots of people see Chupcabras, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster, Yetis, Vampires, and a dozen other things... So by your logic, all those things must be real too.
 No, by your logic (not mine) all those things must be real. Again, you know what they say about assuming. I know you, as well as other atheists, find great pleasure in viewing yourselves as the “only” rational breed of Homo sapien left (again, delusions of grandeur which you might need meds to control) but nothing about this rational is very logical or scientific. Even you admit, all you’re doing is jumping to a bunch of surmised assumptions (all of them wrong, btw. Especially the one where you flatter yourself into thinking I want any sort of accoldes from you.) FYI, the argument above is known as an association fallacy. An association fallacy is an inductive informal fallacy of the type hasty generalization or red herring which asserts that qualities of one thing are inherently qualities of another, merely by an irrelevant association. Modern day science is not the end all, be all of proof bc it can’t see beyond its latest invention and we all know that realm is constantly evolving.   At one point, doctors and scientists were putting leeches on skin to get rid of headaches and other body aliments, they were proclaiming the earth was flat, that the earth is the center of the universe, that Germans were a supreme race, etc. And even then there were ignorant people (scientists even) who shouted at the top of their lungs, “The Earth is NOT round bc they did all of these scientific studies to prove the Earth is flat. Aryans are supreme beings bc all of our German doctors and scientists tell us so. The Earth, NOT the sun, is the certain of the universe bc only scientists know the truth and how the Earth really works.”And when it comes to the human brain, this is what modern-day science has to say about that:Scientists Map the Brain, Gene by Gene
Quote:
If the institute succeeds, its maps will help scientists decipher the function of the thousands of genes that help produce the human brain. (Although the Human Genome Project was completed more than five years ago, scientists still have little idea which genes are used to make the brain, let alone where in the brain they are expressed.) One unexpected—even disheartening—aspect of the Allen Institute's effort is that although its scientists have barely begun their work, early data sets have already demonstrated that the flesh in our head is far more complicated than anyone previously imagined.The brain might look homogenous to the naked eye, but it's actually filled with an array of cell types, each of which expresses a distinct set of genes depending on its precise location. Consider the neocortex, the so-called CPU of the brain: Scientists assumed for decades that most cortical circuits were essentially the same—the brain was supposed to rely on a standard set of microchips, like a typical supercomputer. But the atlas has revealed a startling genetic diversity; different slabs of cortex are defined by entirely different sets of genes. The supercomputer analogy needs to be permanently retired. *Similar to the flat earth theory.*Or look at the hippocampus, the crescent-shaped center of long-term memory. Until recently, this small fold of tissue in the middle of the brain was depicted as neatly divided into four distinct areas. But data from the atlas has rendered the old maps not only obsolete but flat-out misleading. Even a single hippocampal area can actually be subdivided into at least nine discrete regions, each with its own genetic makeup.Scientists at the institute are just starting to grapple with the seemingly infinite regress of the brain, in which every new level of detail reveals yet another level. "You can't help but be intimidated by the complexity of it all," Jones says. "Just when you think you're getting a handle on it, you realize that you haven't even scratched the surface." This is the bleak part of working at the Allen Institute: What you mostly discover is that the mind remains an immense mystery. We don't even know what we don't know.
 Atheists that are dumb enough to think that science has uncapped all the answers to the universe are the only ones delusional here. In fact, that logic sounds like pseudo-science really. Scientists haven’t even scratched the surface of what the human brain is capable of. 10 Mysteries of you: Dreams"The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to a knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind." So said Sigmund Freud. Today, most researchers reject his belief that dreams are expressions of our unconscious desires, but the fascination with why we dream is stronger than ever. Then atheists respond, “How come SCIENCE hasn’t proven the existence of God or an afterlife in a lab?” Probably cause Science needs to catch up to the supernatural, not the other way around.

 


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
What a great necropost! That

What a great necropost! That was like 18 months. I don't think the person you're responding to is here anymore though.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:What a great

Gauche wrote:

What a great necropost! That was like 18 months. I don't think the person you're responding to is here anymore though.

 

I haven't been back here in all that time. Found the thread and decided to respond.