Spirits

Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
Spirits

Ok, I'm not an atheist because I believe in spirits. I see apparitions and I get psychic advice from them as well. I actually heard from a spirit that told me my uncle was going to die soon and I went around and told the rest of the family that and then he passed away 3 months later. So that's why I believe in the spirit world. What is an atheist's viewpoint on that perspective?

 

L


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
 Well, Lashonda, there is a

 

Well, Lashonda, there is a thing called a confirmation bias. Basically, anything that you can turn into support for your idea gets a noteworthy mention. However, anything that you can't fit into that view must be ignored.

 

Try asking your spirits what the lottery numbers are going to be and tell me if you manage to win like several days in a row. Or if the spirits don't work like that, then ask them for the CT lottery numbers. Keep me updated and I will get back to this thread with the results.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:Ok, I'm not

Lashonda wrote:

Ok, I'm not an atheist because I believe in spirits. I see apparitions and I get psychic advice from them as well. I actually heard from a spirit that told me my uncle was going to die soon and I went around and told the rest of the family that and then he passed away 3 months later. So that's why I believe in the spirit world. What is an atheist's viewpoint on that perspective?

 

L

You do NOT speak to the dead. Once your brain dies you die, there is no magical lingering thought.

The human brain is capable however, of extreme intense feelings and ellectro-chemical activity that can cause false feelings like what you describe above. If you really want to believe something false is real, you will. This is nothing more than your brain playing tricks on itself.

When I was a kid and teen I had the "floating experience". I also saw my dead grandmother at the foot of my bead. I saw my dead father at the foot of my bed. I also saw my STILL living mother at the foot of my bed. That was nothing more than the memories in my subconscious mixing with my input senses.

What you are "experiencing" certainly may feel real, no one here will dispute that. What we ARE telling you is that what you think you see is merely a delusion in your head.

It is a scientific fact that thoughts stem from a material process. There is no such thing as a disembodied brain.

I am not trying to be mean to you but merely pointing out that what you are suffering from is a delusion. Delusions can feel real, but they are not real.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
Now I never claimed to be

Now I never claimed to be psychic so that moment could have very well been a fluke. I'm saying I believe in the spirit world bc I see spirits. But I get what your saying. You are talking about ratios, right? What is an atheist's viewpoint when it comes to seeing the spirit world? Thanks in advance for answering my ?s

 

L


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Phantom pain is another

Phantom pain is another example of delusions feeling real. An amputee can, even without phantom pain, think that their toes are still there and "feel" like they are still moving them even though their entire leg has been amputated. Sometimes the amputee can feel false pain as well which does trigger the brain to think actual pain is happening.

THESE reactions of feeling the limb is still there or the limb feels pain are false feelings that trigger REAL reactions.

You are not talking to spirits. Your memory filing cabinet of your past is merely being dumped out while you are awake and mixing with your conscious input.

Believing in spirits is a common false placebo humans have always fallen for. The reason you do is because you lack the understanding of the human brain and it's very powerful ability to delude itself into believing false things.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
OMG, Brian, you had some

OMG, Brian, you had some really powerful spiritual encounters when you were younger. Now, you don't believe any of that was ACTUALLY them, I take it. What event changed your mind? So, are you describing the law of attraction here? Since you are saying the subconscious is solely responsible for rendering these manifestations?

 

L


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Phantom pain

Brian37 wrote:

Phantom pain is another example of delusions feeling real. An amputee can, even without phantom pain, think that their toes are still there and "feel" like they are still moving them even though their entire leg has been amputated. Sometimes the amputee can feel false pain as well which does trigger the brain to think actual pain is happening.

THESE reactions of feeling the limb is still there or the limb feels pain are false feelings that trigger REAL reactions.

You are not talking to spirits. Your memory filing cabinet of your past is merely being dumped out while you are awake and mixing with your conscious input.

Believing in spirits is a common false placebo humans have always fallen for. The reason you do is because you lack the understanding of the human brain and it's very powerful ability to delude itself into believing false things.

Oh, I've been doing this wrong. Just found out how to quote. Ok, Brian, I have another scenario. If it is solely my subconscious that is responsible then how does that explain the several different times that both me and three separate relatives saw the same spirit/apparition/vision simultaneously? I'm referring to three separate occasions. More than that, honestly. It's happened a bunch of times. Thanks in advance.

 

L


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Brian beat me to the punch

Brian beat me to the punch lol. I think it is a trick of the brain and the eyes. My ex husbands grandmother was a multiple stroke patient who I help care for the last few months of her life. I was pregnant with our son at the time so there was a lot of speculation from my ex mother in law that she waited to die to see her favorite grandchild's first born. Some weeks after her death I was in my ex mother in laws bathroom getting dressed to go somewhere with her and I could have sworn I heard her mother yelling. She had this distinct yell she did when she needed attention.

I asked my mother in law if she heard it thinking a second later that I sounded like a dumb ass and she said she heard her all of the time. I think the idea of this is a little far fetched. I think after dealing, especially with a loved one, you get so used to hearing them and most people can't except the fact that they are gone then they actually think that they see and hear them. That was the only time that happened and it seems to me that if in fact her spirit were there and she made her presence known to me, she would have done it more than once.

Another instance, I have an aunt by marriage in my moms side of the family that after two family members died she stated that she had a vision that they were going to die. Now the first one was my aunt who had a drinking/drug problem and had tried suicide a few times. It was a given she wouldn't live long. The other being my grandmother who had alzheimers and was if I remember correctly 88 when she died. Ok, she had a vision? Needless to say our entire family thinks she nuts.

So my point is, no I do not believe people can communicate with spirits nor spirits can communicate with us. I think sometimes there are tale tale signs that people aren't going to be around much longer. Other times things just happen and especially if you are close to that person you kinda get a feeling that something is wrong.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Brian beat me to the punch lol. I think it is a trick of the brain and the eyes. My ex husbands grandmother was a multiple stroke patient who I help care for the last few months of her life. I was pregnant with our son at the time so there was a lot of speculation from my ex mother in law that she waited to die to see her favorite grandchild's first born. Some weeks after her death I was in my ex mother in laws bathroom getting dressed to go somewhere with her and I could have sworn I heard her mother yelling. She had this distinct yell she did when she needed attention.

I asked my mother in law if she heard it thinking a second later that I sounded like a dumb ass and she said she heard her all of the time. I think the idea of this is a little far fetched. I think after dealing, especially with a loved one, you get so used to hearing them and most people can't except the fact that they are gone then they actually think that they see and hear them. That was the only time that happened and it seems to me that if in fact her spirit were there and she made her presence known to me, she would have done it more than once.

Another instance, I have an aunt by marriage in my moms side of the family that after two family members died she stated that she had a vision that they were going to die. Now the first one was my aunt who had a drinking/drug problem and had tried suicide a few times. It was a given she wouldn't live long. The other being my grandmother who had alzheimers and was if I remember correctly 88 when she died. Ok, she had a vision? Needless to say our entire family thinks she nuts.

So my point is, no I do not believe people can communicate with spirits nor spirits can communicate with us. I think sometimes there are tale tale signs that people aren't going to be around much longer. Other times things just happen and especially if you are close to that person you kinda get a feeling that something is wrong.

Rebecca, have you seen any spirits? Hmmm, with me, my uncle was murdered, he was in his 40s, we didn't keep in touch often, and he didn't smoke or drink. It was highly unlikely that the spirit's words could've been so accurate. I sure had no clue it was coming.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda

Lashonda wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Brian beat me to the punch lol. I think it is a trick of the brain and the eyes. My ex husbands grandmother was a multiple stroke patient who I help care for the last few months of her life. I was pregnant with our son at the time so there was a lot of speculation from my ex mother in law that she waited to die to see her favorite grandchild's first born. Some weeks after her death I was in my ex mother in laws bathroom getting dressed to go somewhere with her and I could have sworn I heard her mother yelling. She had this distinct yell she did when she needed attention.

I asked my mother in law if she heard it thinking a second later that I sounded like a dumb ass and she said she heard her all of the time. I think the idea of this is a little far fetched. I think after dealing, especially with a loved one, you get so used to hearing them and most people can't except the fact that they are gone then they actually think that they see and hear them. That was the only time that happened and it seems to me that if in fact her spirit were there and she made her presence known to me, she would have done it more than once.

Another instance, I have an aunt by marriage in my moms side of the family that after two family members died she stated that she had a vision that they were going to die. Now the first one was my aunt who had a drinking/drug problem and had tried suicide a few times. It was a given she wouldn't live long. The other being my grandmother who had alzheimers and was if I remember correctly 88 when she died. Ok, she had a vision? Needless to say our entire family thinks she nuts.

So my point is, no I do not believe people can communicate with spirits nor spirits can communicate with us. I think sometimes there are tale tale signs that people aren't going to be around much longer. Other times things just happen and especially if you are close to that person you kinda get a feeling that something is wrong.

Rebecca, have you seen any spirits? Hmmm, with me, my uncle was murdered, he was in his 40s, we didn't keep in touch often, and he didn't smoke or drink. It was highly unlikely that the spirit's words could've been so accurate. I sure had no clue it was coming.

 

No, I have never seen or heard a spirit. I said " I could have sworn I heard my ex husbands grandmother " meaning I know I did not but because I spent so much time around this woman and I got so used to hearing her that I almost forgot she was gone. To explain the concept, we kept and ear out for her at all times because she could easily assperate and we didn't want her to die that way. My take on it and no offence to you whatsoever is that some people have such an intuition that they can somehow tell when something is going to happen to someone they love whether they are close to them or not. 

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:OMG, Brian,

Lashonda wrote:

OMG, Brian, you had some really powerful spiritual encounters when you were younger. Now, you don't believe any of that was ACTUALLY them, I take it. What event changed your mind? So, are you describing the law of attraction here? Since you are saying the subconscious is solely responsible for rendering these manifestations?

 

L

For the same reason I stopped believing in the boogie man and Santa.

Even before all of these "experiences" I had been exposed to all sorts of scary stories about "evil" and "ghosts" and "witches" and vampires and big foot........yaddda yadddda yadda. It was because those absurd stories were exposed to me when I didn't know any better that I bought them. Much like kids in the Ancient Egyptian culture would be sold gods like Ra and Horus.

My brain was like silly putty and Playdough that society was filling absurd things with.

I used to fear the dark to the point of REAL physical fear to the point I couldn't sleep sometimes. I didn't understand that the shadows in my room, were just that. I didn't understand that it was merely my irises not allowing enough light in to see in the dark. One night I simply stared the shadow down, because I was tired of being scared. I now know, looking back at it now, that the physical reality was that my irises opened up enough to allow enough light in to make the shadows disappear. But the indoctrination of the stupid claim of ghosts before I had any ability to question the claim allowed me to swallow that crap.

There was no "boogieman". It was just me buying into the fear of "evil" that society and pop culture had sold me at the time.

If you really want to believe that you are talking to the dead, you will. But the reality is that you are merely talking to the memories and thoughts and reactions your own brain is tricking you with. The intense "feelings" you have are a result of your own credulity.

Lots of people have a phobia of spiders and can and will have a knee jerk reaction and even severe emotional reaction to even a harmless spider even if someone explains that the spider cannot harm them. If you don't educate yourself on something and think it is ok to buy what is merely in your own head or buy what others sell you, you are going to believe what you want despite what the reality is.

I also have my own irrational thoughts. I am afraid of heights. I wont go near cliff edges. I wont get on a ferris wheel. Someone could demonstrate to me to know end the safety of certain contexts of both those examples but you'd have to kill me to get me near those things.

The difference between you and I is that I know what is going on in my head, and how my brain works and that even my irrational fears are not a result of any real threat to me, but a result of my false perceptions of real events.

I am sure you really think that you talk to spirits. But you no more talk to spirits than me being near a cliff edge will make me jump off or automatically mean someone will push me. You no more talk to spirits than the fear of spiders makes all spiders poisonous merely because one may fear them.

It is nothing but woo that you have been sold and it is because you want to believe it so badly your feelings are intense which cause these false positives.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
I believe in spirits. i used

I believe in spirits. i used to have a cabinet full of them. Drinking them gave me many of the same sensations you describe.

 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I believe in

jcgadfly wrote:

I believe in spirits. i used to have a cabinet full of them. Drinking them gave me many of the same sensations you describe.

 

LOL!


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:Brian37

Lashonda wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Phantom pain is another example of delusions feeling real. An amputee can, even without phantom pain, think that their toes are still there and "feel" like they are still moving them even though their entire leg has been amputated. Sometimes the amputee can feel false pain as well which does trigger the brain to think actual pain is happening.

THESE reactions of feeling the limb is still there or the limb feels pain are false feelings that trigger REAL reactions.

You are not talking to spirits. Your memory filing cabinet of your past is merely being dumped out while you are awake and mixing with your conscious input.

Believing in spirits is a common false placebo humans have always fallen for. The reason you do is because you lack the understanding of the human brain and it's very powerful ability to delude itself into believing false things.

Oh, I've been doing this wrong. Just found out how to quote. Ok, Brian, I have another scenario. If it is solely my subconscious that is responsible then how does that explain the several different times that both me and three separate relatives saw the same spirit/apparition/vision simultaneously? I'm referring to three separate occasions. More than that, honestly. It's happened a bunch of times. Thanks in advance.

 

L

 

In all seriousness and all fairness, no one's explanation has yet to explain this phenomenon. Thanks for reading.

 

L


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
If ghosts and spirits were

If ghosts and spirits were real I find it funny that they never end up in science labs and only seem to be relegated to pop media and pseudo science. Ghosts and spirits exist for the same reason people once believed the earth was flat, of course one can believe what they want when they don't know any better.

I once was a fan of "In search of" a famous 1970s conspiracy show and the same crap that show sold, like "Tut's curse", big foot, little green men.......blah blah blah. I know better now and wish humanity would stop selling that crap to credulous people.

You did not talk to the dead. You merely talked to yourself thinking you were talking to someone else.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:Lashonda

Lashonda wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Phantom pain is another example of delusions feeling real. An amputee can, even without phantom pain, think that their toes are still there and "feel" like they are still moving them even though their entire leg has been amputated. Sometimes the amputee can feel false pain as well which does trigger the brain to think actual pain is happening.

THESE reactions of feeling the limb is still there or the limb feels pain are false feelings that trigger REAL reactions.

You are not talking to spirits. Your memory filing cabinet of your past is merely being dumped out while you are awake and mixing with your conscious input.

Believing in spirits is a common false placebo humans have always fallen for. The reason you do is because you lack the understanding of the human brain and it's very powerful ability to delude itself into believing false things.

Oh, I've been doing this wrong. Just found out how to quote. Ok, Brian, I have another scenario. If it is solely my subconscious that is responsible then how does that explain the several different times that both me and three separate relatives saw the same spirit/apparition/vision simultaneously? I'm referring to three separate occasions. More than that, honestly. It's happened a bunch of times. Thanks in advance.

 

L

 

In all seriousness and all fairness, no one's explanation has yet to explain this phenomenon. Thanks for reading.

 

L

YES I DID EXPLAIN IT AND SO HAVE CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGISTS.

It is as simple as not understanding how the brain can fool itself. The "phenomenon" is you allowing your own credulity to rule you because you don't know how the human brain works.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
So, you are saying in all

So, you are saying in all the different times this occurred two or more different people saw the same vision, heard the same words, etc simultaneously yet it never really happened to anyone presence that day? And that's suppose to be considered a logical explanation? It sounds like you are suggesting I trade one false belief for another.

 

L


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:Lashonda

Lashonda wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Phantom pain is another example of delusions feeling real. An amputee can, even without phantom pain, think that their toes are still there and "feel" like they are still moving them even though their entire leg has been amputated. Sometimes the amputee can feel false pain as well which does trigger the brain to think actual pain is happening.

THESE reactions of feeling the limb is still there or the limb feels pain are false feelings that trigger REAL reactions.

You are not talking to spirits. Your memory filing cabinet of your past is merely being dumped out while you are awake and mixing with your conscious input.

Believing in spirits is a common false placebo humans have always fallen for. The reason you do is because you lack the understanding of the human brain and it's very powerful ability to delude itself into believing false things.

Oh, I've been doing this wrong. Just found out how to quote. Ok, Brian, I have another scenario. If it is solely my subconscious that is responsible then how does that explain the several different times that both me and three separate relatives saw the same spirit/apparition/vision simultaneously? I'm referring to three separate occasions. More than that, honestly. It's happened a bunch of times. Thanks in advance.

 

L

 

In all seriousness and all fairness, no one's explanation has yet to explain this phenomenon. Thanks for reading.

 

L

Actually it has been explained several times with different explanations. brain activity. Gullible people falling for stage magic, inebriation. coincidence.

All of those are more plausible than "Spooks and haints are real". Your willingness to ignore them isn't my problem.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
No, I'm talking about

No, I'm talking about simultaneous sightings. No one's explanation's has covered that topic yet. Everyone just keeps talking about my mind but if it is all subconsciously happening to me then that doesn't explain when another person's in the room and sees and hears the same thing at the same time as the other person. No one's answer has touched on that topic. I've read everyone's response with an open mind. I'm waiting.

 

L


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:No, I'm

Lashonda wrote:

No, I'm talking about simultaneous sightings. No one's explanation's has covered that topic yet. Everyone just keeps talking about my mind but if it is all subconsciously happening to me then that doesn't explain when another person's in the room and sees and hears the same thing at the same time as the other person. No one's answer has touched on that topic. I've read everyone's response with an open mind. I'm waiting.

 

L

If you want to believe that Penn and Teller really sawed the woman in half, you will. Being around other people who believe the same false thing only makes the delusion appealing, not real. Otherwise popular belief would make the earth flat.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:No, I'm

Lashonda wrote:

No, I'm talking about simultaneous sightings. No one's explanation's has covered that topic yet. Everyone just keeps talking about my mind but if it is all subconsciously happening to me then that doesn't explain when another person's in the room and sees and hears the same thing at the same time as the other person. No one's answer has touched on that topic. I've read everyone's response with an open mind. I'm waiting.

 

L

 

Seriously? Do you understand that when you see something your mind has to process it for you to understand what you are seeing? Psych patients are prescribed serious meds for believing that they see people that aren't there. You have been given an explanation you just refuse to comprehend because you want to believe you can speak with spirits. It is an of the mind topic. You don't talk to spirits. It's possible you have a mental disorder that causes you to believe this. I'm no doctor nor can I make a diagnosis but seriously if you came here looking for answers that YOU wanted, you came to the wrong place. Maybe you should check with your psychic for the answers that you are looking for. Rational people will give you rational answers.

edit: not trying to be rude to you but you asked the question and you got the answers but because you don't like them you don't take them seriously

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:No, I'm

Lashonda wrote:

No, I'm talking about simultaneous sightings. No one's explanation's has covered that topic yet. Everyone just keeps talking about my mind but if it is all subconsciously happening to me then that doesn't explain when another person's in the room and sees and hears the same thing at the same time as the other person. No one's answer has touched on that topic. I've read everyone's response with an open mind. I'm waiting.

 

L

Gullible people falling for stage magic? Phony mediums have been doing this stuff for years. Google "Harry Houdini".

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
We are being fair to you and

We are being fair to you and are not looking to be mean to you. We simply are not going to sugar coat our position.

If you had come here and instead of claiming "spirits" was claiming that Elvis was still alive, or that Oswald did not act alone, we would treat those  claims with the same skepticism and criticism we are facing you with now.

We are trying to help you, not hurt you, but in doing that we are not going to shy away from our position.

We are telling you the truth. You see spirits for the same reason someone on acid might see a pink unicorn sitting on their Marshal Stack. If you want to see/hear something or believe something so bad, you will.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


PimpingWolfwood
atheist
PimpingWolfwood's picture
Posts: 45
Joined: 2010-08-24
User is offlineOffline
I think Lashonda is a

I think Lashonda is a liar/troll or nuts.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
When reading the last post I

When reading the last post I noticed at the top of this thread there are google ads for psychics. Ever notice how they charge for their lies and only give you about 2 or 3 free minutes of their 30 minute to an hour ramble. My mom did this once and she was charged an unbelievable amount though I honestly don't remember the amount.  She was also lied to because this lady told her that a blue eyed stranger was going to come sweep her off her feet and they would live happily ever after. My mom has since been married two more times almost three and none were blue eyed or swept her off her feet. Did I mention she's no longer married to any of them?

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, none of these

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective. A magic trick for an answer doesn't seem like a serious response to the question. No one's physically orchestrating this phenomena. But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it. You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds. 

 

L

 


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

When reading the last post I noticed at the top of this thread there are google ads for psychics. Ever notice how they charge for their lies and only give you about 2 or 3 free minutes of their 30 minute to an hour ramble. My mom did this once and she was charged an unbelievable amount though I honestly don't remember the amount.  She was also lied to because this lady told her that a blue eyed stranger was going to come sweep her off her feet and they would live happily ever after. My mom has since been married two more times almost three and none were blue eyed or swept her off her feet. Did I mention she's no longer married to any of them?

I know what you are talking about but I'm not advertising a service. I'm just asking a ?. Honestly, the skepticism makes sense, but the logic doesn't.

 

L


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:Honestly,

Lashonda wrote:

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective.

 Show me a case where police actually use a physic to figure out what happened. I think you watch too much csi.

 But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it.

 Yep

You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds. 

 Are you schizophrenic?

That's not a strange set of odds. Do some research on it or call your doctor and ask him what he thinks. A neurologists might be a good start. They can tell you how the human brain works and how all of your sensors are connected.

 

 oh and these type of things are considered hallucinations according to web md

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:Honestly,

Lashonda wrote:

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective. A magic trick for an answer doesn't seem like a serious response to the question. No one's physically orchestrating this phenomena. But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it. You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds. 

 

L

 

Did you look up Houdini? Later in his career he made it his job to expose spiritualist fakers who used stage magic to fool people into giving them money. Many of them played to huge crowds and everyone in the audience saw and heard the exact same thing simultaneously. For some reason, though, they couldn't reproduce the spirit effects when they weren't in control of the conditions and Houdini was.

How do you explain that? Did the spirits leave them when Houdini showed up? Or did Houdini expose frauds and con artists?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:No, I'm

Lashonda wrote:

No, I'm talking about simultaneous sightings. No one's explanation's has covered that topic yet. Everyone just keeps talking about my mind but if it is all subconsciously happening to me then that doesn't explain when another person's in the room and sees and hears the same thing at the same time as the other person. No one's answer has touched on that topic. I've read everyone's response with an open mind. I'm waiting.

 

L

 

I have had this happen to me - many years ago when I was young and my mom was not so old.  We would have "psychic" experiences.  The conversation would go like this:

"Did you see <feel> <hear> that?"

"Yes, I did."  (Not knowing what was seen, heard, felt)

"It was so sad when she said '...............'"

"Yes, it was.  And I almost cried when I saw .........."

"Her aura is so frightened.  Can't you feel it?"

And so on.  Each person validating the other.  But there is/was no real way to tell whether we were both hearing, seeing, feeling, the same things.  We were just making up stuff as we went along and allowing ourselves to create a "shared" experience.  Looking back at those times, I now feel rather silly about it.  How on earth can two intelligent people play those kind of games and profess to believe them?

I once "saw" my grandmother being shocked by her old electric stove and dying.  Well, a few months later, she was shocked, but she didn't die.  And she had the stove repaired so it didn't happen again.  Psychic?  Nah, logical outcome of working with that old stove.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you saw someone after a long time and they were ill - especially if the last time you saw them they were healthy and now they were clearly deathly ill - and you made the prediction that they were dying.  If the other people had seen this person fairly regularly they may not have noticed the changes.  I felt the same way when I saw my mother after not seeing her for five years.  She was much more ill and looked it.  I knew it wouldn't be much longer - but it was five more years, not three months.  When she got to the point it was only three more months, she was so ill we were all expecting her to go any day.  Different people and different conditions will cause different appearances of health and different remaining life spans.

I'm with the others.  We make things up in our heads and then we cling to those made up "realities" because it is often too painful to let go.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective.

 Show me a case where police actually use a physic to figure out what happened. I think you watch too much csi.

 But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it.

 Yep

You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds.  of odds

 Are you schizophrenic?

That's not a strange set of odds. Do some research on it or call your doctor and ask him what he thinks. A neurologists might be a good start. They can tell you how the human brain works and how all of your sensors are connected.

 

 oh and these type of things are considered hallucinations according to web md

Now I believe you are just misinformed.

Peter Hurkos    Hurkos gained worldwide acceptance as a psychic detective, working on cases involving missing planes, persons, and murder victims after his fall. Some of his most illustrious cases were "The Stone of Scone" [London, England], "The Boston Strangler Multiple Murders" [Boston, Massachusetts], "The Missing Thai Silk King, Jim Thompson" [Asia/Thailand], "The Ann Arbor Co-Ed Murders" [Ann Arbor Michigan], and "The Sharon Tate Murders" [Los Angeles, California].
In 1956, Hurkos was brought to the United States by Andrija Puharich, MD (died 1994) to be tested at his Glen Cove, Maine medical research laboratory. For two-and-a-half years he was tested under tightly controlled conditions. The results convinced Dr. Puharich that Hurkos' psychic abilities were far greater than any he had ever tested (before or thereafter) . . . a remarkable 90% Nancy Myer Police have consulted with psychic Nancy Myer on more than 300 criminal cases.

Nancy Myer


Nancy found suspect’s house

CASE DETAILS


Jennifer Odom

Nancy Myer is a psychic who has been working with police around the country for decades. According to Nancy, she’s consulted on more than 300 criminal investigations and has turned up critical clues more than 80% of the time:

“It’s like the ultimate challenge, because most of my cases are murders. Only two people know what happened, the victim and the killer. The only way to find out is telepathy.”

Irvin B. Smith, a retired colonel with the Delaware State Police, says Nancy has more than proved herself to him. He considers her ability a vital crime solving tool:  

“When you find someone like her, then you have yourself a tool. It’s not going to solve your crimes, in a lot of cases, but it’s gonna give you that extra bit of information where your investigators have the opportunity of going out and continuing the case.” 


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Lashonda

jcgadfly wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective. A magic trick for an answer doesn't seem like a serious response to the question. No one's physically orchestrating this phenomena. But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it. You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds. 

 

L

 

Did you look up Houdini? Later in his career he made it his job to expose spiritualist fakers who used stage magic to fool people into giving them money. Many of them played to huge crowds and everyone in the audience saw and heard the exact same thing simultaneously. For some reason, though, they couldn't reproduce the spirit effects when they weren't in control of the conditions and Houdini was.

How do you explain that? Did the spirits leave them when Houdini showed up? Or did Houdini expose frauds and con artists?

I know who Houdini is. But I just think you have the wrong concept of what happened to me personally and the things I am sharing in this thread compared to frauds who are performing or scamming people for a quick buck. I know you want to group us altogether but the circumstances are different. You are comparing apples and oranges here.

 

L


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:jcgadfly

Lashonda wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective. A magic trick for an answer doesn't seem like a serious response to the question. No one's physically orchestrating this phenomena. But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it. You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds. 

 

L

 

Did you look up Houdini? Later in his career he made it his job to expose spiritualist fakers who used stage magic to fool people into giving them money. Many of them played to huge crowds and everyone in the audience saw and heard the exact same thing simultaneously. For some reason, though, they couldn't reproduce the spirit effects when they weren't in control of the conditions and Houdini was.

How do you explain that? Did the spirits leave them when Houdini showed up? Or did Houdini expose frauds and con artists?

I know who Houdini is. But I just think you have the wrong concept of what happened to me personally and the things I am sharing in this thread compared to frauds who are performing or scamming people for a quick buck. I know you want to group us altogether but the circumstances are different. You are comparing apples and oranges here.

 

L

Funny, that's what the people who were scammed by the spiritualists before Houdini exposed them believed.

You told me of experiences you claim are real. I told you of similar experiences had by others that were proven false.

As for Van Praagh, James Randi has quite a bit on him Go forth to randi.org and google.

Or not. You are so convinced in your belief that if one of the "mediums" you know, love and worship told you he/she was a scam artist, you likely wouldn't believe THEM.

Randi's million dollar challenge is still up - go for it. Shouldn't be a problem if you and the others you mentioned are genuine.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Any police force who uses

Any police force who uses these crackpots should lose their funding and the officers arrested for malpractice. They are as much suckers as you are in believing this crap.

You don't even know how these scam artists work and blindly accept what they say without question.

They do not solve murders. They scam the police just like you allow your credulity to scam your own brain.

These people are experts at lending the appearance of "seeing information" Cris Angel can also do the same thing but wont lie about it and calls what he does mere entertainment.

Police are just as human and fall can fall for the same delusional crap you are falling for. Not knowing how someone pulls a trick on you does not make psychics real. It merely means you don't know where or how they are coming up with their information. Psychic scams work backwards. The scam artist throws a generalization out to the victim and the victim retrofits what they want to see to the generalization the mind scamer makes.

People who pull any kind of scam always know something you don't but that only means they know something you dont, that doesn't make magic real.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Lashonda wrote:No,

cj wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

No, I'm talking about simultaneous sightings. No one's explanation's has covered that topic yet. Everyone just keeps talking about my mind but if it is all subconsciously happening to me then that doesn't explain when another person's in the room and sees and hears the same thing at the same time as the other person. No one's answer has touched on that topic. I've read everyone's response with an open mind. I'm waiting.

 

L

 

I have had this happen to me - many years ago when I was young and my mom was not so old.  We would have "psychic" experiences.  The conversation would go like this:

"Did you see <feel> <hear> that?"

"Yes, I did."  (Not knowing what was seen, heard, felt)

"It was so sad when she said '...............'"

"Yes, it was.  And I almost cried when I saw .........."

"Her aura is so frightened.  Can't you feel it?"

And so on.  Each person validating the other.  But there is/was no real way to tell whether we were both hearing, seeing, feeling, the same things.  We were just making up stuff as we went along and allowing ourselves to create a "shared" experience.  Looking back at those times, I now feel rather silly about it.  How on earth can two intelligent people play those kind of games and profess to believe them?

I once "saw" my grandmother being shocked by her old electric stove and dying.  Well, a few months later, she was shocked, but she didn't die.  And she had the stove repaired so it didn't happen again.  Psychic?  Nah, logical outcome of working with that old stove.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you saw someone after a long time and they were ill - especially if the last time you saw them they were healthy and now they were clearly deathly ill - and you made the prediction that they were dying.  If the other people had seen this person fairly regularly they may not have noticed the changes.  I felt the same way when I saw my mother after not seeing her for five years.  She was much more ill and looked it.  I knew it wouldn't be much longer - but it was five more years, not three months.  When she got to the point it was only three more months, she was so ill we were all expecting her to go any day.  Different people and different conditions will cause different appearances of health and different remaining life spans.

I'm with the others.  We make things up in our heads and then we cling to those made up "realities" because it is often too painful to let go.

I know u are with the others. You wouldn't be an atheist if you weren't. I SO get everything you are saying in this post bc some of those things happened to me when I was younger. Like the arua thing. No, these visions were more complex. Like, me and my mom were in the bedroom of my grandmother's house. She appeared before both of us (at the same time) and said, "This isn't my room anymore. I got a new room now." Then vanished. Another time we were together and a spirit appeared and didn't say anything. "Mom, u see that?" She looked up, pointed, and described the same features I saw. A similar incident took place with my cousin and so forth and so forth. Also, as I mentioned to Rebbecca earlier, my uncle was murdered. No one in the family could've predicted it based on the lifestyle he lived.

I would also like to know how do atheists view Scientology?

 

L

 


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
I don't actually go to

I don't actually go to psychics so you are right, I wouldn't know how they work. I don't need a psychic.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:I don't

Lashonda wrote:

I don't actually go to psychics so you are right, I wouldn't know how they work. I don't need a psychic.

No, you just claim to be one. You asked for our viewpoints. Don't be so defensive when you get them.

Or did you really not care what we thought and just came to preach your "gospel"?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Lashonda

jcgadfly wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

I don't actually go to psychics so you are right, I wouldn't know how they work. I don't need a psychic.

No, you just claim to be one. You asked for our viewpoints. Don't be so defensive when you get them.

Or did you really not care what we thought and just came to preach your "gospel"?

I'm not defensive. I didn't claim to be psychic. I said that first incident was probably a fluke. I said I see spirits. That's it. What do you think of Scientology?

 

L


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda

Lashonda wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective.

 Show me a case where police actually use a physic to figure out what happened. I think you watch too much csi.

 But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it.

 Yep

You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds.  of odds

 Are you schizophrenic?

That's not a strange set of odds. Do some research on it or call your doctor and ask him what he thinks. A neurologists might be a good start. They can tell you how the human brain works and how all of your sensors are connected.

 

 oh and these type of things are considered hallucinations according to web md

Now I believe you are just misinformed.

Peter Hurkos    Hurkos gained worldwide acceptance as a psychic detective, working on cases involving missing planes, persons, and murder victims after his fall. Some of his most illustrious cases were "The Stone of Scone" [London, England], "The Boston Strangler Multiple Murders" [Boston, Massachusetts], "The Missing Thai Silk King, Jim Thompson" [Asia/Thailand], "The Ann Arbor Co-Ed Murders" [Ann Arbor Michigan], and "The Sharon Tate Murders" [Los Angeles, California].
In 1956, Hurkos was brought to the United States by Andrija Puharich, MD (died 1994) to be tested at his Glen Cove, Maine medical research laboratory. For two-and-a-half years he was tested under tightly controlled conditions. The results convinced Dr. Puharich that Hurkos' psychic abilities were far greater than any he had ever tested (before or thereafter) . . . a remarkable 90% accuracy.

 

Nancy Myer

 

George Anderson

Dannion Brinkley

Edgar Cayce

Don Decker

Incredible Journeys

Nancy Myer

Premonition of Murder

Georgia Rudolph

Submarine Reincarnation

James Van Praagh

featuredcontentslider.init({
id: "slider2", //id of main slider DIV
contentsource: ["inline", ""], //Valid values: ["inline", ""] or ["ajax", "path_to_file"]
toc: "markup", //Valid values: "#increment", "markup", ["label1", "label2", etc]
nextprev: ["Previous", "Next"], //labels for "prev" and "next" links. Set to "" to hide.
revealtype: "click", //Behavior of pagination links to reveal the slides: "click" or "mouseover"
enablefade: [true, 0.2], //[true/false, fadedegree]
autorotate: [false, 3000], //[true/false, pausetime]
onChange: function(previndex, curindex){ //event handler fired whenever script changes slide
//previndex holds index of last slide viewed b4 current (1=1st slide, 2nd=2nd etc)
//curindex holds index of currently shown slide (1=1st slide, 2nd=2nd etc)
}
})

Nancy Myer
Police have consulted with psychic Nancy Myer on more than 300 criminal cases.

Nancy Myer


Nancy found suspect’s house

CASE DETAILS


Jennifer Odom

Nancy Myer is a psychic who has been working with police around the country for decades. According to Nancy, she’s consulted on more than 300 criminal investigations and has turned up critical clues more than 80% of the time:

“It’s like the ultimate challenge, because most of my cases are murders. Only two people know what happened, the victim and the killer. The only way to find out is telepathy.”

Irvin B. Smith, a retired colonel with the Delaware State Police, says Nancy has more than proved herself to him. He considers her ability a vital crime solving tool:  

“When you find someone like her, then you have yourself a tool. It’s not going to solve your crimes, in a lot of cases, but it’s gonna give you that extra bit of information where your investigators have the opportunity of going out and continuing the case.” 

 

 

 

 

What? No let me rephrase.....show me an actually case where the court system actually uses the phsycics ability to deem that they actually have the right person that murdered someone. Jennifer Odom's murderer was never found. Also as far as phsycics go they only use some of the info they give them.  They can't use that for court because by law they have to have dna, eye witnesses and autopsy etc. They can't legally go on what some phsycic says. This may actually explain why we have some people on death row who are actually innocent and if that be the case these cops imo should lose their jobs and be in prison themselves.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
It certainly would creep me

It certainly would creep me out if someone walked up to me and told me something personal about myself that someone shouldn't personally know. But my thoughts would not be that they had some sort of magical powers, but more along the lines that it would piss me off that they invaded my privacy without me knowing.

This person you know IS scamming you. PERIOD. There is no such thing as a psychic. There are merely people who are experts in taking advantage of credulity.

I was dating someone a long time ago who had shown me pictures of her friends house. I decided to play a trick on her friend. I told my girlfriend(at the time) not to tell her friend she had shown me the pictures of her friend's house.

I went up to her friend one day and described the contents of her living room without telling her my girlfriend had shown me a picture. IT FREAKED HER OUT. I let her stew in that for a day before I finally told her the truth.

This person you claim is genuine is merely a genuine scam artist. Not knowing how they preform their mind scam on you does not make magic real. It merely means you want to believe them so bad you will believe them.

Once you know HOW a woman in a "magic" show is sawed in half you realize that she is not really being sawed in half. Mind scams like psychics are merely elaborate, not real.

Their hold on you depends on you buying their bullshit when they say, " I cant explain it to you" when what they really should say, if they are being honest is, "I won't tell you how the trick works because then I won't have any control over you".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
There are people who can

There are people who can read cards in poker games. Some guy on espn I can't remember his name though. It doesn't make him psychic. Some people just have an ability to learn people really fast. By now since this guy has been doing this for years is a freakin prop at it and I have to say it's not hard to do because I can do it. Not the way he can but still. Generally these psychics ask for general info on these victims so they get a general idea of their lifestyle. Example: If the girl victim was a stripper and had three kids by unknown daddys would it really be that hard to determine that she was raped, probably beaten, robbed and murdered? This is not to down a stripper because hell some people go to whatever lengths to support themselves and their kids. Just saying it's no surprise when a stripper comes up missing that a couple of days later they find her in a dumpster somewhere.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:I know u are

Lashonda wrote:

I know u are with the others. You wouldn't be an atheist if you weren't. I SO get everything you are saying in this post bc some of those things happened to me when I was younger. Like the arua thing. No, these visions were more complex. Like, me and my mom were in the bedroom of my grandmother's house. She appeared before both of us (at the same time) and said, "This isn't my room anymore. I got a new room now." Then vanished. Another time we were together and a spirit appeared and didn't say anything. "Mom, u see that?" She looked up, pointed, and described the same features I saw. A similar incident took place with my cousin and so forth and so forth. Also, as I mentioned to Rebbecca earlier, my uncle was murdered. No one in the family could've predicted it based on the lifestyle he lived.

I would also like to know how do atheists view Scientology?

 

L

 

If your uncle hadn't been murdered, would you remember saying he would die and he didn't?

It sounds to me like you and your family have practiced this game a lot.  I'm not saying this to be insulting, nor to put you and your family down.  The more you practice, the better you get, the easier it is to know where the other person is heading with their visions.

Scientology:

Wikiquotes wrote:

  • Scientology is bullshit! Man, I was there the night L. Ron Hubbard invented it, for Christ's sakes! (...) We were sitting around one night... who else was there? Alfred Bester, and Cyril Kornbluth, and Lester del Rey, and Ron Hubbard, who was making a penny a word, and had been for years. And he said "This bullshit's got to stop!" He says, "I gotta get money." He says, "I want to get rich". And somebody said, "why don't you invent a new religion? They're always big." We were clowning! You know, "Become Elmer Gantry! You'll make a fortune!" He says, "I'm going to do it."
    • "The Real Harlan Ellison" in Wings (November-December 1978) p. 32
    •  

 

BS, it's all BS.  Did you know that forming a 501(c)3 charitable organization in the US is really difficult?  Budgets projected for a couple of years, boards to be formed and regular meetings, board meeting minutes must be submitted, and on and on.  But if you are forming a religion?  No budget, no board, no minutes, reduced fees - in short, it is easy and inexpensive.  And all the money you rake in is tax free.  It's no wonder Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker could afford air conditioned dog houses.  The only question is how far can you go before your church attendees get pissed about your life style?

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:jcgadfly

Lashonda wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

I don't actually go to psychics so you are right, I wouldn't know how they work. I don't need a psychic.

No, you just claim to be one. You asked for our viewpoints. Don't be so defensive when you get them.

Or did you really not care what we thought and just came to preach your "gospel"?

I'm not defensive. I didn't claim to be psychic. I said that first incident was probably a fluke. I said I see spirits. That's it. What do you think of Scientology?

 

L

Scientology is a bullshit scam. I'm sorry I can't put than more nicely - lost too many friends to LRH and Miscavige's lies.

You claim to display the psychic ability to see spirits. You're a psychic.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective.

 Show me a case where police actually use a physic to figure out what happened. I think you watch too much csi.

 But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it.

 Yep

You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds.  of odds

 Are you schizophrenic?

That's not a strange set of odds. Do some research on it or call your doctor and ask him what he thinks. A neurologists might be a good start. They can tell you how the human brain works and how all of your sensors are connected.

 

 oh and these type of things are considered hallucinations according to web md

Now I believe you are just misinformed.

Peter Hurkos    Hurkos gained worldwide acceptance as a psychic detective, working on cases involving missing planes, persons, and murder victims after his fall. Some of his most illustrious cases were "The Stone of Scone" [London, England], "The Boston Strangler Multiple Murders" [Boston, Massachusetts], "The Missing Thai Silk King, Jim Thompson" [Asia/Thailand], "The Ann Arbor Co-Ed Murders" [Ann Arbor Michigan], and "The Sharon Tate Murders" [Los Angeles, California].
In 1956, Hurkos was brought to the United States by Andrija Puharich, MD (died 1994) to be tested at his Glen Cove, Maine medical research laboratory. For two-and-a-half years he was tested under tightly controlled conditions. The results convinced Dr. Puharich that Hurkos' psychic abilities were far greater than any he had ever tested (before or thereafter) . . . a remarkable 90% accuracy.

 

Nancy Myer

 

George Anderson

Dannion Brinkley

Edgar Cayce

Don Decker

Incredible Journeys

Nancy Myer

Premonition of Murder

Georgia Rudolph

Submarine Reincarnation

James Van Praagh

featuredcontentslider.init({
id: "slider2", //id of main slider DIV
contentsource: ["inline", ""], //Valid values: ["inline", ""] or ["ajax", "path_to_file"]
toc: "markup", //Valid values: "#increment", "markup", ["label1", "label2", etc]
nextprev: ["Previous", "Next"], //labels for "prev" and "next" links. Set to "" to hide.
revealtype: "click", //Behavior of pagination links to reveal the slides: "click" or "mouseover"
enablefade: [true, 0.2], //[true/false, fadedegree]
autorotate: [false, 3000], //[true/false, pausetime]
onChange: function(previndex, curindex){ //event handler fired whenever script changes slide
//previndex holds index of last slide viewed b4 current (1=1st slide, 2nd=2nd etc)
//curindex holds index of currently shown slide (1=1st slide, 2nd=2nd etc)
}
})

Nancy Myer
Police have consulted with psychic Nancy Myer on more than 300 criminal cases.

Nancy Myer


Nancy found suspect’s house

CASE DETAILS


Jennifer Odom

Nancy Myer is a psychic who has been working with police around the country for decades. According to Nancy, she’s consulted on more than 300 criminal investigations and has turned up critical clues more than 80% of the time:

“It’s like the ultimate challenge, because most of my cases are murders. Only two people know what happened, the victim and the killer. The only way to find out is telepathy.”

Irvin B. Smith, a retired colonel with the Delaware State Police, says Nancy has more than proved herself to him. He considers her ability a vital crime solving tool:  

“When you find someone like her, then you have yourself a tool. It’s not going to solve your crimes, in a lot of cases, but it’s gonna give you that extra bit of information where your investigators have the opportunity of going out and continuing the case.” 

 

 

 

 

What? No let me rephrase.....show me an actually case where the court system actually uses the phsycics ability to deem that they actually have the right person that murdered someone. Jennifer Odom's murderer was never found. Also as far as phsycics go they only use some of the info they give them.  They can't use that for court because by law they have to have dna, eye witnesses and autopsy etc. They can't legally go on what some phsycic says. This may actually explain why we have some people on death row who are actually innocent and if that be the case these cops imo should lose their jobs and be in prison themselves.

Yea, YOU needed to rephrase that but now you are asking for the impossible. This argument seems kinda pointless. The justice system doesn't work like that. In any court of law, you can't go to trial without evidence so all that other stuff is a requirement. You can't even obtain a search warrant or subpoena a suspect without evidence. Duh. Like you asked for the first time, and I delivered, you can use a psychic to help the investigation along and catch the culprit but you will also NEED supporting evidence to get a conviction bc the justic system IS set up that way. So? That's bc of the constitution: Amendment 6 Right to a fair trial. Psychics can't override the government.

 

L

 


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
Was your uncle sick before

Was your uncle sick before the spirits contacted you about this?

It would seem more impressive, to me anyway if your uncle was healthy and then died in a car accident after your other-worldly experience than if he was on his death bed when the spirits informed you of his impending demise.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I had an ex-co worker keep

I had an ex-co worker keep telling me there was something to a 6 hour shift where no orders would come in and then 3 people in a row would order the same thing. I tried to explain to this idiot that the reason 3 people ordered the same thing WAS BECAUSE WE SELL IT.

He failed to take into account all the other times this did not happen. He CHOSE to put a pattern in as an explanation as "something being there" when his sample rate was flawed.

Psychics work off of the same credulity. They only work because people don't know how the person is scamming them.

I can also bet that the people posting here at one point in their lives have heard from their co workers, "I always have my smoke break interrupted". I have heard that crap too. My response, "DUH, we get interrupted because we are open".

If you want to see spirits, you will. If you want to believe in big foot, you will. If you want to believe people can talk to the dead you will. But bull is bull no matter how badly you want to believe it.

You will never see these "psychics" put themselves in a scientific lab setting with independent people outside of their control conducting the test. Any test they set up is not a test, it is an illusion they set up to convince you what they are doing is real.

I dare these "psychics" to allow an independent double blind test without them being in charge of it. IT IS A SCAM, period.

Things that can be empirically proven beyond bias do not require protection from being independently tested. If someone wont or cant show you how something is done they are hiding something in order to scam you. Sometimes it is not done for money, but ego and attention.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

There are people who can read cards in poker games. Some guy on espn I can't remember his name though. It doesn't make him psychic. Some people just have an ability to learn people really fast. By now since this guy has been doing this for years is a freakin prop at it and I have to say it's not hard to do because I can do it. Not the way he can but still. Generally these psychics ask for general info on these victims so they get a general idea of their lifestyle. Example: If the girl victim was a stripper and had three kids by unknown daddys would it really be that hard to determine that she was raped, probably beaten, robbed and murdered? This is not to down a stripper because hell some people go to whatever lengths to support themselves and their kids. Just saying it's no surprise when a stripper comes up missing that a couple of days later they find her in a dumpster somewhere.

I get what u are saying here but some psychics don't ask for additional information and they are still able to help the cops pinpoint the suspect. But corroborating evidence is still a requirement to get a conviction or to detain him in jail. Cops say that. "We brought him down to the station and questioned him, but we didn't have enough to detain him, we had to let him go." Cops have a procedure that have to follow. A psychic impression/prediction isn't enough to detain a suspect or enough proof to stand up in court. That's a given. I still don't get the point.

 

L


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda

Lashonda wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Lashonda wrote:

Honestly, none of these answers seem very rational when everyone's explanation hinders on sarcasm and negates the fact that several different people report the same sighting or report hearing the same voice at the same time. Police tend to call that a validate eye witness account so this really doesn't make any sense from my perspective.

 Show me a case where police actually use a physic to figure out what happened. I think you watch too much csi.

 But let me get this straight. So is everyone's belief basically that the crowd could've been 10 people deep, and they could've all sporadically witnessed and heard the EXACT same thing SIMULTANEOUSLY, but they ALL just experienced an unexpected bout of delirium at the exact same time? And that's it.

 Yep

You know, schizophrenics tend to think everyone else is crazy and they are the only sane ones around. For a group that heavily depends on ratios, that's a strange set of odds.  of odds

 Are you schizophrenic?

That's not a strange set of odds. Do some research on it or call your doctor and ask him what he thinks. A neurologists might be a good start. They can tell you how the human brain works and how all of your sensors are connected.

 

 oh and these type of things are considered hallucinations according to web md

Now I believe you are just misinformed.

Peter Hurkos    Hurkos gained worldwide acceptance as a psychic detective, working on cases involving missing planes, persons, and murder victims after his fall. Some of his most illustrious cases were "The Stone of Scone" [London, England], "The Boston Strangler Multiple Murders" [Boston, Massachusetts], "The Missing Thai Silk King, Jim Thompson" [Asia/Thailand], "The Ann Arbor Co-Ed Murders" [Ann Arbor Michigan], and "The Sharon Tate Murders" [Los Angeles, California].
In 1956, Hurkos was brought to the United States by Andrija Puharich, MD (died 1994) to be tested at his Glen Cove, Maine medical research laboratory. For two-and-a-half years he was tested under tightly controlled conditions. The results convinced Dr. Puharich that Hurkos' psychic abilities were far greater than any he had ever tested (before or thereafter) . . . a remarkable 90% accuracy.

 

Nancy Myer

 

George Anderson

Dannion Brinkley

Edgar Cayce

Don Decker

Incredible Journeys

Nancy Myer

Premonition of Murder

Georgia Rudolph

Submarine Reincarnation

James Van Praagh

featuredcontentslider.init({
id: "slider2", //id of main slider DIV
contentsource: ["inline", ""], //Valid values: ["inline", ""] or ["ajax", "path_to_file"]
toc: "markup", //Valid values: "#increment", "markup", ["label1", "label2", etc]
nextprev: ["Previous", "Next"], //labels for "prev" and "next" links. Set to "" to hide.
revealtype: "click", //Behavior of pagination links to reveal the slides: "click" or "mouseover"
enablefade: [true, 0.2], //[true/false, fadedegree]
autorotate: [false, 3000], //[true/false, pausetime]
onChange: function(previndex, curindex){ //event handler fired whenever script changes slide
//previndex holds index of last slide viewed b4 current (1=1st slide, 2nd=2nd etc)
//curindex holds index of currently shown slide (1=1st slide, 2nd=2nd etc)
}
})

Nancy Myer
Police have consulted with psychic Nancy Myer on more than 300 criminal cases.

Nancy Myer


Nancy found suspect’s house

CASE DETAILS


Jennifer Odom

Nancy Myer is a psychic who has been working with police around the country for decades. According to Nancy, she’s consulted on more than 300 criminal investigations and has turned up critical clues more than 80% of the time:

“It’s like the ultimate challenge, because most of my cases are murders. Only two people know what happened, the victim and the killer. The only way to find out is telepathy.”

Irvin B. Smith, a retired colonel with the Delaware State Police, says Nancy has more than proved herself to him. He considers her ability a vital crime solving tool:  

“When you find someone like her, then you have yourself a tool. It’s not going to solve your crimes, in a lot of cases, but it’s gonna give you that extra bit of information where your investigators have the opportunity of going out and continuing the case.” 

 

 

 

 

What? No let me rephrase.....show me an actually case where the court system actually uses the phsycics ability to deem that they actually have the right person that murdered someone. Jennifer Odom's murderer was never found. Also as far as phsycics go they only use some of the info they give them.  They can't use that for court because by law they have to have dna, eye witnesses and autopsy etc. They can't legally go on what some phsycic says. This may actually explain why we have some people on death row who are actually innocent and if that be the case these cops imo should lose their jobs and be in prison themselves.

Yea, YOU needed to rephrase that but now you are asking for the impossible. This argument seems kinda pointless. The justice system doesn't work like that. In any court of law, you can't go to trial without evidence so all that other stuff is a requirement. You can't even obtain a search warrant or subpoena a suspect without evidence. Duh. Like you asked for the first time, and I delivered, you can use a psychic to help the investigation along and catch the culprit but you will also NEED supporting evidence to get a conviction bc the justic system IS set up that way. So? That's bc of the constitution: Amendment 6 Right to a fair trial. Psychics can't override the government.

 

L

 

  

Just a question....what was your point in this thread? Were you trying to convince us that you have psychic abilities or trying to see if people think you are crazy for stating that you do so you can be more careful in the real world? What was the actual point of the original question?

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Lashonda
Posts: 39
Joined: 2010-09-14
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:Was your uncle

Gauche wrote:

Was your uncle sick before the spirits contacted you about this?

It would seem more impressive, to me anyway if your uncle was healthy and then died in a car accident after your other-worldly experience than if he was on his death bed when the spirits informed you of his impending demise.

He was murdered in the prime of his life.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
My last cat who died a

My last cat who died a couple years ago, a couple times I woke up in the middle of the night and could have sworn I had "seen " him on my bedroom floor. The "vision" was merely caused by my memory and the stress of losing him. He died right in front of me in my bedroom. I hope I never witness human death. I have been lucky enough so far. Watching my cat die was stressful enough.

I know the things that happened when I was a kid just like "seeing my cat" were merely products of my brain activity and stress I was unaware of.

These things are merely our brain acting out without our being aware of what is actually going on.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
Lashonda wrote:Gauche

Lashonda wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Was your uncle sick before the spirits contacted you about this?

It would seem more impressive, to me anyway if your uncle was healthy and then died in a car accident after your other-worldly experience than if he was on his death bed when the spirits informed you of his impending demise.

He was murdered in the prime of his life.

Sometimes murder isn't completely unexpected though. It could be that you anticipated a violent outcome for other reason that you haven't stated.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft