yotter
yotter's picture
User is offlineOffline

Hi all,

I enjoyed watching the RRS debate with Kirk Cameron on youtube so thought I had better join up. I live in the UK where there is a lot less religious observance than the USA. That said, we are about to pay host to Pope Benedict who is coming to beatify Cardinal Newman following a 'miracle' inoilving some obscure cleric from Boston. What utter nonsense!

Although I trained as a scientist, for most of my career I flew as a pilot for British Airways and am now retired.  I hope to be able to contribute to some of the debate here, particularly with my view from this side of the 'pond'.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! What was your

Welcome!

What was your field?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome yotter.

Welcome yotter.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi and welcome

Hi and welcome

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
G'Day from Oz, Yotter.

Good luck in the Ashes.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi

Welcome to the forums, we have other active members from "merry 'ole",  this will  give the rest of us a chance to work on our English language skills,  or lack there of.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Yotter.Another

Welcome Yotter.

Another scientist... I hope this is the start of a trend. I am sure that your side of the pond will also provide some unique perspctives. Welcome sir.

jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi and welcome Looking

Hi and welcome
Looking forward to hearing your take on some of these post.
Looks like the number of atheist, or nonbelievers are growing. Good things...

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

Welcome to the forum, Yotter.

I'm an ex-pat living in CA and working at the NASA facility in the Mojave Desert.

Also a west Ham fan so what I really want to know about you is: Who's your team?

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Welcome !

So,Welcome to the Machine,enjoy.I was wondering.what is your take of Richard Dawkins.     PS. will you read Tony Blair's new book ?

Signature ? How ?

yotter
yotter's picture
User is offlineOffline
Richard Dawkins

I enjoyed 'The God Delusion' but I found 'The Blind Watchmaker' quite difficult. On TV he comes over very well compared to Chris Hitchens, who although brilliant, is a bit too aggressive for my liking. I will probably borrow Tony Blair's book sometime, but don't really enjoy political biography.