The case of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani and muslim hatred

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
The case of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani and muslim hatred

I recently watched the flick "Welcome to Sarajevo". There was the final scene of the Serbian soldiers dragging out the Bosnian children from a UN bus. Horrified to tears that these children were to be executed because they were muslim. And I find that similar Serbian hate amongst those who vent their vitriol against the ground zero Mosque. And yes, this does in my mind resonate with the hatred in Nazi Germany.

And then my feelings of sorrow and sympathy switch to anger against those who in the name of Islam, wish to execute Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani. The totalitarian Islamic state of Iran has sentenced Sakineh to death for the "crime" of adultery. She has already received 99 lashes. Her children have appealed to world leaders to halt her execution and of all people, the Pope has been outspoken about forestalling her death.

Sakineh's death will only intensify hatred towards muslims. All 1.5 billion of them should collectively resound a condemnation of this and several other brutal crimes against humanity. Only they can see that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is no different than Radovan Karadzic and with their silence, the hate will fester and become the muslims' Kristallnacht.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I had to look her up

Well, I had to look her up on wikipedia to see what the background is. Apparently, she is going to be executed for the murder of her husband more than anything else. Although, yes, she was convicted of a second adultery charge in the same trial.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, I had to look her up on wikipedia to see what the background is. Apparently, she is going to be executed for the murder of her husband more than anything else. Although, yes, she was convicted of a second adultery charge in the same trial.

Her confession to murder was made after 2 days of torture. Are you really willing to take this at face value? If I was tortured that long, I'd say that 2+2=5 if that's what my tormentors demanded.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it's safe to say,

I think it's safe to say, Mr. Dish, that humans are capable of incredible acts of cruelty... sometimes they need no excuse... sometimes they'll rationalize through religion...

Trying to keep score on who is out-murdering who will most probably lead to madness...

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:Sakineh's

ragdish wrote:

Sakineh's death will only intensify hatred towards muslims. All 1.5 billion of them should collectively resound a condemnation of this and several other brutal crimes against humanity. Only they can see that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is no different than Radovan Karadzic and with their silence, the hate will fester and become the muslims' Kristallnacht.

Doesn't everyone already hate Islam now? How could it get any worse??

LOL...when do you see Muslims condemn what Muslim terrorists do or what inhumane Islamic regimes do??  I can hear crickets chirping!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah RagDish

I can feel your pain. Humans are creatively unpleasant and religions of all sorts allow humans to offload their moral norms. I'm sure religion evolved for this selfish culturally-supportive purpose.

I often hope that this current ferment, born in large part from our closer global social networks, will allow the spread of more tolerant ideology and the elevation of man's better nature.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I have a strange sense of

I have a strange sense of sympathy for moderate Muslims in this position.  On one hand, I imagine they know very well that much of Sharia law is bad/stupid/immoral/unjust.  On the other hand, that is a part of their culture and religion that they have been indoctrinated in since childhood.  It isn't like there is a lot of room to interpret Islam liberally, it is pretty clear about crime and punishment.  

I think, possibly, one of the things that helps Christians to liberalize is the confusing and contradictory statements of the New Testament versus the Old...it lets their culture adapt to secular values more easily than Islam because it is easily reinterpreted.  Islam has no such statements.  I remember reading a wiki article about torture the other day (lol, strange where you wind up when you are browsing wikipedia isn't it?) and I was reading about ethics and torture.  It had a passage about how Islam condemns the act of torture based on the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture#Islam 

Cursed were the People Of the Ditch. Fire supplied [abundantly] with fuel, When they sat by it [the Fire]. And they witnessed what they were doing against the Believers [i.e.burning them]. They had nothing against them except that they believed in Allah, the Almighty, Worthy of all praise! The One to Whom belongs the dominion of the Heavens and the earth. And Allah is Witness over everything. Verily those who put to trial the believing men and the believing women [by torturing them and burning them] and then do not turn in Repentance will have the torment of Hell and they will have the Punishment of the Burning Fire. [85:4-10]

But come on, if you read that it obviously only applies to non-Muslims torturing Muslims, and even if they do torture a believer they just have to repent.  Pretty damned weak.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.