My best option: Christian or Muslim?

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
My best option: Christian or Muslim?

If I wanted to convert, which would be my best option: to convert to Christianity or to Islam?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Star Trek or Star Wars ?

Star Trek or Star Wars ? Heck, I dunno. Depends on where you live, I suppose.

Too bad we don't have any muslims on the board right now. They're usually well prepared for comparing their crap to the other stuff.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The best thing about being

The best thing about being a christian is that you can do whatever you want (ie Gay Midget sado masochism.... animal torture... Running for congress....) and just ask for forgivness before you buy the farm and you'll be all cool in the eyes of the Lord....

Whereas Islam requires a substantial initial investment regarding one's libininous proclivities... however the intrest accruing at 12% over a lifetime yields a return of 72 virgins...

Have you considered Scientology?.... if you're interested in non coporeal intergalactic travel it has a lot of merit... 

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
if those are the options i

if those are the options i would say christian. it seems there really are no rules besides ask forgivness later. Christians I know are basically atheists except they believe in god.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Being muslim is really

Being muslim is really restrictive, you know, no pork, no alcohol, all you can have is a decent hookah and four Batmans (Batmen?) in your bed. Plus a month of fasting every year, IOW, a month of early morning and late evening gluttony. Plus 5 prayers a day. No wonder they're such extremists, they envy us the freedom, but instead admitting their nonsense and liberating themselves they want to convert or kill everyone.

Christianity is certainly better, more liberal, but still it basically means letting go a big portion of your IQ. I don't know how about you, but I'm very annoyed by repetition, I don't sing, dance or think that God likes bum-suckers. All Christian culture is just about one book that is already notoriously known in a nutshell to everyone in our society who has eyes to see and ears to hear. So are all their songs, speeches, other books, ideas, and so on. Christians are so predictable and uniformous in thinking almost like Borgs. It always reminds me of the joke:

"Johnny, see if you can guess the riddle," the pastor said. "It's small, grey, lives on trees and eats nuts. What is it?"
"Well, Father, I know the answer is supposed to be God, but it really seems to me like a squirrel. "

In any way, instead of mainstream religion I'd go into it's esoteric background, which deals more with mysticism, cosmology, psychology and other fields. There's a lot of food for thought. For example, if I'd be a Jew, I'd be cabbalist, as a muslim I'd be a sufi. Christianity has it's occult side in Rosicrucianism and old Gnostic sects.

Rich Woods wrote:

Have you considered Scientology?.... if you're interested in non coporeal intergalactic travel it has a lot of merit... 

Ah, religion of the rich... Initially rich.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote: If I wanted to

julio wrote:
If I wanted to convert, which would be my best option: to convert to Christianity or to Islam?

Do you like cherry flavored or watermelon flavored cool-aid?

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

PimpingWolfwood
atheist
PimpingWolfwood's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Being muslim

Luminon wrote:

Being muslim is really restrictive, you know, no pork, no alcohol, all you can have is a decent hookah and four Batmans (Batmen?) in your bed. Plus a month of fasting every year, IOW, a month of early morning and late evening gluttony. Plus 5 prayers a day. No wonder they're such extremists, they envy us the freedom, but instead admitting their nonsense and liberating themselves they want to convert or kill everyone.

I really hope you're just trolling and not being an ignorant asshole. "Envy us the freedom." Wow. Jesus Christ on an invisible pink unicorn, someone doesn't understand history.

Bridge breeding proves evolution false.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, Luminon. You got a

Yeah, Luminon.
You got a point.
Repetition is nauseating, it really is.
But if I went along with Islam, I have some trumps under the sleeve to play with.
The main one being that I would start a movement to REFORM Islam from within.
Surah 24:2, for example, would be edited out of the Qur'an.
And many others in the same style of Dark Ages brutality against women!
Do you guarantee me success in that endeavor?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
PimpingWolfwood wrote:I

PimpingWolfwood wrote:

I really hope you're just trolling and not being an ignorant asshole. "Envy us the freedom." Wow. Jesus Christ on an invisible pink unicorn, someone doesn't understand history.

I was just trolling, but in some countries the word "America" still has a subtle but kinky undertone to it. Specially totalitarian or post-totalitarian countries. Little they know that America is now full of prudish Christian fundies and political correctness, local propaganda portrayed it as a source of sinful entertainment.

I don't know how desert nomads feel about american magazines carried to them by wind. But here in near town of 40 000 there's a night club (brothel) called "Amerika" with the flag right on it's billboard Smiling

julio wrote:
Yeah, Luminon. You got a point. Repetition is nauseating, it really is. But if I went along with Islam, I have some trumps under the sleeve to play with. The main one being that I would start a movement to REFORM Islam from within. Surah 24:2, for example, would be edited out of the Qur'an. And many others in the same style of Dark Ages brutality against women! Do you guarantee me success in that endeavor?

Yes, I think so - if you live long enough. Starting with reforming from now, you'll get a group of hard-boiled but isolated fundies that will take about 50 years to dissipate and die out. In their circles any reformer will be surely described as Shaitan's minion.

A succesful reform must be accompanied by total change of global economy and politics. Citizens of Iraq, for example, are happy to be ignored by the world and to keep a decent standard of law and peace by their absurdly cruel tribal traditions. The international menagerie of soldiers currently in their country are just invaders to them. If you want to start reform, you must end all injustice and you must apply all laws impartially. Fundies get strength from injustice, they become martyrs and become influential. Quite opposite, imagine all material resources now used on warfare and espionage in these unfavored countries used on sort of a global Marshall's plan. That would give you diplomatic leverage enough to suggest Islamic scholars your reforms.

Once you're done, someone should do that with Christianity too, the Old Testament has nothing to do in there.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes. In time I would reform

Yes.
In time I would reform Christianity, too.
A lot of work to be done, I tell you!
For a pragmatic believer, I would be a half-baked Muslim on Fridays, and a half-baked Christian on Sunday.
Pragmatically, you understand; with no strings attached.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:Yes. In time I

julio wrote:
Yes. In time I would reform Christianity, too. A lot of work to be done, I tell you! For a pragmatic believer, I would be a half-baked Muslim on Fridays, and a half-baked Christian on Sunday. Pragmatically, you understand; with no strings attached.

Yeah, that is entirely possible but dangerous for family happiness. Here among neighbours I know a man, who is a Jew from monday to saturday, and on sundays he's a Christian, participating in local Evangelic congregation. He's so much into religion that one is not enough, apparently. It took so long for his wife to divorce him, despite of daily Bible-thumping and most of all on saturdays when he had regular preaching to his family. It would take a couple more of paragraphs to describe what a circumized big dick he is.

So be careful. Take it easy and never take this ideology home. I still remember that cat o' nine tails I saw hanging on wall in that man's kitchen when I once was to their place as a kid.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote: If I wanted to

julio wrote:

The Baha'i Faith. Why? Simple:

The Bahai 12 principles:

Unity of God
Unity of religion
Unity of humankind
Equality between men and women
Elimination of all forms of prejudice
World peace
Harmony of religion and science
Independent investigation of truth
Universal compulsory education
Universal auxiliary language
Obedience to government and non-involvement in partisan politics unless submission to law amounts to a denial of Faith.[31]
Elimination of extremes of wealth and poverty.

You don't have dogmas in this religion. They don't have a clear definition of God. They don't have priests. They are not fanatics (in fact it is forbidden to be one by their laws). I am a closet baha'i myself. I can discuss the reasons why I'm not a Bahai if you like.

They have some controversial laws like opposing gay marriage, but they don't impose behaviours to they're followers. That is a matter which concerns to the individual and his relation to God.

"Individuals who are openly homosexual are not prevented from entering the religion and joining in community life. This is a recognition that becoming a Bahá'í is not conditional on their complete and strict compliance with all Bahá'í standards and laws."

Oh! and most important! If you choose the Bahai you'd be choosing both! Christianity and islam!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Satanism.   The highest

Satanism.

The highest spiritual authority is yourself.

There is only one commandment: Do what you want is the whole of the law.

I am willing to grant you the title of high priest. However, you must first go out and drink a crap load of beer. Then you need to find a hot stripper who will diddle her fiddle in public until she gets off.

You get bonus points if you don't have to pay her.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=