Islam & Science

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Islam & Science

Hey Gang... I was wondering if any of the science bufs here would be able to verify the validity of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnEeTBuPQuo

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Verify as to the number of

Verify as to the number of papers published?  No, I don't have that information.

Verify as to the "the will of Allah"?  Try reading Ayaan Hirsi Ali or watching some of her videos.  According to her, yes, the constant refrain of "it is the will of Allah" is detrimental to creative original thinking.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if any of those

I wonder if any of those papers in the 99% category used algebra.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Rich, Using this source,

Rich,

Using this source,  http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind10/pdf/c05.pdf  (see page 31)

I estimated the number of publications in science and engineering in 2007 by countries with Islamic traditions. 

I've got about 16700 articles, which is ~2.2% of the total volume of papers.

Note that Turkey is #19 in the list, and Iran is #27.

I think that our estimate is incorrect because it only includes articles published in American, European, and a few Asian journals recognized by NSF and Thompson Reuters.  I am sure, that thousands of articles in countries such as Iran, Pakistan, or Egypt are published in local journals in domestic language; and since those journals are not recognized internationally, the articles are not counted in statistics.

Summarizing, I would be very careful in using scientific output statistics as an argument for or against any religion.  

For example, China was a closed atheists' country and it did not produce much of research papers.  Now it publishes more papers and it is building more churches.  Conclusion: atheism is bad.  I think you understand my point.

Best,

100% 

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Islam & Science

Well this Monday,I gave my liver Dr.,she's from Iran, a copy of Free Inquiry and the main article was titled Islam & Science in the Modern World (it was a few years old) My Dr. went to Harvard Medical College worked on her Phd at Jefferson Hospital in Philly and now is the head liver Dr. at Einstein Hospital she's very,very smart person who's love of Science could not be squared in Iran.But remember this "in the Islamic world, hospitals were started and the introduction of 0 for keeping records,but then it was all lost due to their beliefs. So look up the Free Inquiry issue on Islam & Science.   

Signature ? How ?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Ken, I find that it is

Well Ken, I find that it is interesting that the idea of hospitals has anything at all to do with Islam. However, I would love to see a source. Preferably, a source that confronts the fact that the Knights Hospitaller were, in fact, an order of the Catholic military during the crusades.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Gang...ThunderFoot is

Thanks Gang...

ThunderFoot is a big name in the Atheist community, and I enjoy a lot of his work... But as Islamo-wary as I am, I still felt like there were a few questionable assertions in that Vid... Not that the premise wasn't valid... But simply to what extent and was there any convenient perfidy employed so as to affirm one's position... We humans are probably all guilty of that from time to time...

For instance there were no economic stats, nor was there any information about the rate of information exchanged between cultures...

But then again... I also prefer when a point is made on YouTube within 3 minutes (if possible)... as the Rational community battles to win the hearts and minds  of those willing to ask questions.... we tend to "Run a little Long" when we make our videos, and probably lose a lot of people whose diets contain too much sugar...

Anyway, Thanks.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene...wrote:I would love to see a source.

Well I read it about 15 years ago in a journal of medicine,(I think) or a article in ancient healing.Anyway this seems like a good link  www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/islamic_medical/islamic_12.html     PS.it sounds like you made up the name the Hospitallers  lol  !!!

Signature ? How ?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
And now I know something

And now I know something that I did not before. Thanks Ken.

Also, the Knights Hospitaller are very real. They have repurposed several times over the past thousand years as conditions change. Currently, they are the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta. AKA the Knights of Malta for short.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I don't have a source since

I don't have a source since my college books are at home, but I remember reading that Muslims in Baghdad were responsible for recovering and translating many 'lost' Greek medical texts and using that knowledge combined with original research to create the first authoritative medical encyclopedias.  For a few hundred years, starting in the 9th century, Islam was responsible for the bulk of scientific advances in medicine.  Those encyclopedias were actually what the Europeans used as source material once they started to claw their way back into significant research.  There was a lot of wealth in the region, and many of the rich supported medical philanthropy as part of their religious charitable duty.

I remember reading in some big book at my doctor's reception area that a Muslims were the first to use real scientific methods for large scale medical research too, during the same time period.

No cites though and I don't want to look it up, so ymmv.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two replys Rich.

The way Arabs lead in the sciences when Europe was still backwards is also an example of how religion ruins a good thing.  Try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIMifWU5ucU&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcSXwPsgLhE&feature=related   

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?