Former head of RNC and GWB campaign manager comes out of the closet

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Former head of RNC and GWB campaign manager comes out of the closet

Ken Mehlman used to be the head of the RNC and was also the campaign manager for George Bush.  I remember watching Mehlman on all the news networks spouting off typical Republican party talking points for several years.  One of which was the fight against gay marriage.  Well recently Ken Mehlman decided to confirm for us what Bill Maher already knew: he's gay.  

huffington post wrote:

Mehlman arrived at this conclusion about his identity fairly recently, he said in an interview. He agreed to answer a reporter's questions, he said, because, now in private life, he wants to become an advocate for gay marriage and anticipated that questions would be asked about his participation in a late-September fundraiser for the American Foundation for Equal Rights (AFER), the group that supported the legal challenge to California's ballot initiative against gay marriage, Proposition 8.

Jim David writes about it at Huffington Post:

Quote:

The Atlantic reported, "Ken Mehlman, President Bush's campaign manager in 2004 and a former chairman of the Republican National Committee, has told family and associates that he is gay."

To which family and associates, as well as the part of the country with half a brain, screamed, "Duh."

"Mehlman arrived at this conclusion about his identity fairly recently, he said in an interview." Really? Then Ken, how come the rest of us knew years ago, asked you about it, and you lied about it and went on chairing and actively campaigning for the success of a party with a lot of members who want to see gay people dead? Talk about being an Aunt Tom!

"It's taken me 43 years to get comfortable with this part of my life," said Mehlman. Guess what, buddy? Sorry for the stunted growth of your self-awareness, but there are plenty of gay folks that have not taken 43 years to get comfortable with it, and while they were waiting for you to get comfortable, your lovely Republican party, while under your leadership, tried to create an atmosphere of fear and loathing for the country's gays and lesbians to the point where some of them got killed. You helped to spearhead it all from the safety of the Grand Old Closet.

That fact alone should have clued you in before you did the damage you did. The "Mad Men" like social pressure deep within Republican circles must have been oppressive. It must have been hard to stand there, holding your cosmopolitan, while Sen. James Inholfe or somebody made a nasty joke about the queers. But gee, couldn't you have seen a shrink or taken some Xanax or something? Why did you help them?

You approved racist advertisements against candidates like Harold Ford. You campaigned for anti-gay politicians. 21 states passed laws banning same-sex marriage during your tenure. Here they are, in case you forgot: Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Not only that, you worked to elect Mr. George W. Bush, and we won't even start on that one.

Yes, I know coming out is hard in a hostile world and blah blah blah. And plenty of notable people have waited until they made their millions and bought a $4 million loft in Chelsea to finally tell the truth. But the rest of them didn't chair an organization that actively tries to turn people like them into fifth-class citizens.

You say you now want to convince the Republican party to support marriage equality. "What I will try to do is to persuade people, when I have conversations with them, that it is consistent with our party's philosophy, whether it's the principle of individual freedom, or limited government, or encouraging adults who love each other and who want to make a lifelong commitment to each other to get married."

Ken, I know you just came out and you're now getting adjusted to your new Prada shoes, and the world must seem like one big fat circuit party, but let me break the news slowly to you: it's never going to happen. As long as your party celebrates religious hucksters like Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich, outright lunatics like Michelle Bachmann and an endless cast of fanatics, it's going to remain in an all-white gated community in the social stone age, who like their gays to do their hair, decorate their homes and write their Broadway musicals, but that's it.

So now you're going to work for equal rights and marriage equality. Look, Ken, here's what you have to do: You have to renounce the entire Republican social agenda. You have to use your campaigning skills to eliminate anti-gay Republican lawmakers from their jobs. No more of this "I'm not a single issue voter" crap. You are now, man.

You have to spend the rest of your natural life exposing the lies and distortions of your party. Go on FOX News and point out Sean Hannity's falsehoods to his face, and see how long it is before he kicks you out of the studio. And you have to travel to each state with a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality, for which you are partially responsible, and get them repealed. Go door to door if you have to. That should keep you busy, make your physique Fire Island ready, and maybe you could meet some cute guys and save them from being thrown out of their Republican homes by parents who bought into the toxic lies of your party.

And you have to raise more money for gay equality than William Bennett at the blackjack table.

Then, when the last anti-gay law has been repealed and gays have the full equality supposedly guaranteed them as Americans, then maybe, just maybe, those who have survived the chaos you helped create might be cordial to you when they run into you at a cocktail party.

Oh, yeah, and do something about Rev. Fred Phelps, for God's sake.

I mentioned on my facebook that I don't believe the gay community should accept Mehlmans help.  I believe they should keep their backs turned to him.  What do you think?  One facebook friend commented:

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. This fellow doesn't deserve a pass from the gay community - it would be like Jews overlooking what Hitler did and taking him in as one of their own. (very apt comparison as it was recently reported that some of Hitler's ancestors were Jewish). 

Mehlman not only lied about his sexual orientation (understandable), but actively campaigned against gay rights & marriage. Inexcusable. As far as I'm concerned, he should be persona non grata #1 with the gay community.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I imagine that guy needed a

I imagine that guy needed a lot of booze to get through the day.

I'm always amazed that these right wing homosexuals will put themselves through so much self inflicted torment.  But maybe not...I guess when your family, friends, religious leaders and general authority figures all tell you that what you are inside is evil and wrong you get good at either suppressing that side of yourself or just lying about it.

It makes me sad though, because they knowingly help create another generation of people with the same psychological torment.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very Few things warm my

Very Few things warm my heart like Gay Republican stories... at least this one came out on his own, and wasn't busted in an airport mens room...

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
moar leik Gay Old Party m i

moar leik Gay Old Party m i rite?

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What a turd! I can't believe

What a turd! I can't believe someone would actually stoop so low especially when he himself is gay. I just wanna smack this guy!

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, this confirms your

Well, this confirms your statement that everyone can be bought to say anything.

Personally I do not like gays and I hope they don't like me either, but as anybody they should be free to do whatever they want with their bodies, and it is laughable when one of them spent so much effort to prosecute himself.  I would not be surprised if he is a catholic.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
A gay Republican? Yea right,

A gay Republican? Yea right, next thing you are going to tell me is that there are atheist Republicans.(he he, sory Gene, couldn't resist).

Gay Republicans? Yea, and we have a black president too. And Pink Unicorns exist.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
huffington post wrote:"What

huffington post wrote:

"What I will try to do is to persuade people, when I have conversations with them, that it is consistent with our party's philosophy, whether it's the principle of individual freedom, or limited government, or encouraging adults who love each other and who want to make a lifelong commitment to each other to get married."

Good luck with that.

No sarcasm.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:A gay

Brian37 wrote:
A gay Republican? Yea right, next thing you are going to tell me is that there are atheist Republicans.(he he, sory Gene, couldn't resist).

Gay Republicans? Yea, and we have a black president too. And Pink Unicorns exist.

Well, just because you have never seen a pink unicorn...

Anyway, I would gladly pay a dollar to spend five minutes as the fly on the wall the next time this dude has to sit in a room with Mary Cheney.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
ಠ_ಠ

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

moar leik Gay Old Party m i rite?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Well, just because you have never seen a pink unicorn...

Anyway, I would gladly pay a dollar to spend five minutes as the fly on the wall the next time this dude has to sit in a room with Mary Cheney.

Remember Val Kilmer's first movie comedy "Top Secret" when the two spies exchanged code lines in the ally.

Spy one "Who do you favor in the Virgina Slims tennis tournament?"

Spy two "In the Virgina Slims tennis tournament I always root against the heterosexual".

(they exchange info)

Spy two walks away and spy one looks at the ground "Wait, you dropped your fake dog doo"

Spy one, "What fake dog doo?"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog