Atheism IS theism

froodley
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-08-22
User is offlineOffline
Atheism IS theism

To me, atheism/theism is the purvue of the childish.  It's just a weaksauce, childish claim that you can't prove.  Learn to dance the Dao, you fricking brat, or   If you want equally strong arguments on both sides, I'll go there all day.  I think everyone on this forum needs to get laid and/or try shrooms (but no hard drugs, you intellectually-lazy mofos).

 


ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
Posts: 862
Joined: 2009-08-06
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:froodley

Sapient wrote:

froodley wrote:

I am leaving.

Yeah I know, I took care of that for you.

 

Quote:
Please just delete this entire thread.

What do the participants of this thread think?  Would you delete it?  My inclination is to leave it.

I'd nuke it.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”


same guy from before (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Apologies

I just want to apologize for being rude.  It was a mistake to come here.  I am sorry if I insulted anyone; I was trying to be provocative, but I really don't like anything about the way this has gone.  (And I'm not trying to come back or anything, so please leave your flamethrower in its holster; I'm a human being.)


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 You could've tried the

 You could've tried the human approach earlier.  At least take your meds before you post.

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
We are human too dude.

We are human too dude. Remember that the next time you do something like this.


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
 http://www.youtube.com/watc

jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
Posts: 249
Joined: 2010-08-07
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: froodley

Sapient wrote:

froodley wrote:

I am leaving.

Yeah I know, I took care of that for you.

 

Quote:
Please just delete this entire thread.

What do the participants of this thread think?  Would you delete it?  My inclination is to leave it.

leave it and next time someone comes on here talking that same old trash, we can just cut and paste this entire thread in reponse.

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Yah, leave it.  Just

Yah, leave it.  Just because the moron asked for a deletion does not mean that he has any right to get what he wants.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Still me (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
*sigh*

I am still feeling badly about coming here. I am sorry. Please just nuke the thread, I don't want my name on it.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Still me wrote:I am still

Still me wrote:
I am still feeling badly about coming here. I am sorry.

Are you feeling badly because you came off as rude?  Are you feeling badly because you made yourself out to look really fucking stupid?  Or are you feeling badly because you made yourself out to look really fucking stupid and when you do a google search for froodley this is one of the first things to show up and it could negatively affect the future of any business you hope to conduct online?

 

Quote:
Please just nuke the thread, I don't want my name on it.

I heard you the first time.  The small concession we made for you because you were humble was to approve your comments after you "left."  Our site serves as a mean to teach the public.  You have not acted as if you learned why you were wrong in your first post.  Maybe that's why nobody here has yet sided with you to nuke it.  I'm "unbanning" your account for now, so you can comment under your name and you don't have to wait to have your comments approved.  We'll see.

 

 

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Or how about now that you

Or how about now that you have been humbled, you try discussing stuff in a more regular manner?

 

The fact is that you do not get to dictate how stuff will happen on the internet. So roll with what happens and learn from it. We all have done exactly that. It is not that big of a deal.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I had read the op and

I had read the op and dismissed this thread and I now regret that decision it would have been sorta fun.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:  I'm

Sapient wrote:

  I'm "unbanning" your account for now, so you can comment under your name and you don't have to wait to have your comments approved.  We'll see.

 

 

Brian, 

 

Do you actually ban accounts?

I am asking because I "believed" that, unlike theists' forums, atheists' forums do not ban users (unless they go wild about race, sex, etc.).

 

100%


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Not even sure we've offended each other

 

Have we? Please don't go, Froodley. All is forgiven. Why not go play with Fonzie on his hellish "It Works For Me" thread?

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


same guy from before (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Please put yourself in my

Please put yourself in my position; I said some things that I regret, and I've apologized. It's not a business thing; I am employed. I am just embarrassed by my conduct. Treat me the way you'd want to be treated, ya know?


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty sure everyone on

I'm pretty sure everyone on this thing or for that matter the everyone in the entire world had said and done things they regret. So I'm also pretty sure they've/we've been in your shoes before and probably more than once. That's not to say you can't live it down though. Obviously something here sparked your interest and still does or you wouldn't keep logging back on and checking on what has been said.

If that's the case you should come back and try to learn whatever it is you were curious about. Only try to understand that nobody likes to have their intelligence insulted in the manner that you displayed. Don't get me wrong, I've had my differences with a couple of people on here and I've only been on here a month maybe. You swallow your pride and try to make the best of the situation and actually get to the point instead of constantly causing drama.

I've found sometimes I have to give it a day or two to chill out and then come back with some actual rational thought. This is a place to discuss atheism/theism so there's always going to be something on here that pisses you off. You just have to be able to hold your tongue sometimes. I do know that if you come back with the same demeanor you will surely be begging Brian to delete everything you've ever done on here to save you the embarrassment.

There's some pretty forgiving people on here from what I've read in a lot of the threads on here. But don't make the same mistake twice. If you say your sorry mean it and understand there's always different views ( sometimes more than two ) on every topic. You just have to be able to understand that not everyone is going to see things the way you do. You have to be able to respect that and not tell people they are intellectually lazy mofos lol. Brian even took the ass hat off so give it a shot and you'll learn how it goes and maybe learn a lot more. No part of this is intended to be a smart ass. I'm just leveling with you here.

 

                                                                                                   P.S. I'll forgive you this time just don't fuckin do it again

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
same guy from before

same guy from before wrote:
Please put yourself in my position; I said some things that I regret, and I've apologized. It's not a business thing; I am employed. I am just embarrassed by my conduct. Treat me the way you'd want to be treated, ya know?

If you knew how I wanted to be treated and you expected the same treatment, you would've never asked.  I wouldn't ask for it to be deleted, but then again I wouldn't have been in your shoes either.  I make it a point not to be a dick about something there is a chance I'm wrong about.  

Trust me you don't want me to treat you the way I want to be treated. 

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to Rational

Welcome to Rational Responders, froodley.

During the last several years, I've posted and contributed on numerous websites with the username "butterbattle," so it now has a fairly significant history. If you search for "butterbattle" on google, with the quotation marks, you can easily dig up many things that I've written in the past. Looking back, some of the things that I've written are incredibly ignorant and immature, and a lot of times, I wish I had never written those things. Sometimes, I even wish I could delete some of the things I've written. Yet, at the same time, I don't really want them to be deleted, if that makes any sense at all. It would seem dishonest to write something on a public forum, then, later, try to hide it, wouldn't it?

I know, that by now, you really, really don't like what you've written in this thread, but it's too late. Sapient and the mods decide whether the thread stays or not, and they've decided that it stays. Begging is only going to make everyone more annoyed. If I were them, I wouldn't delete it either. However, you can learn from this experience and try to be more intelligent and thoughtful in the future. Don't just throw mindless banter and insults because you're on the Internet. Don't just react.

Remember:

If you still have any issues you want to discuss, please feel free to discuss it. Seriously, the direction this thread went was almost entirely due to the stupidity of your opening post. If you try to engage in an honest, open-minded conversation, I'm sure that other people will respond in kind.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


OhMan
atheist
OhMan's picture
Posts: 37
Joined: 2010-08-02
User is offlineOffline
Yeah you should leave it up

Yeah you should leave it up as punishment.


Still me (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I guess what I'm saying is

I guess what I'm saying is that i'm interested in continuing to contribute, in a less arrogant way, but my condition is that you cut me some slack for having a bad weekend and getting myself into shit. I understand why you don't want to, and I would probably be thinking the same... but the lesson here for me is mostly 'don't drink and post;' you don't need to slam the lesson all over my head. It was just 45 seconds of nasty venting, with no filter or thought as to what I was doing... I'm not some troll or some young kid, I'm a genuinely nice person who made a mistake... You wouldn't want a big black mark on you for something like that, ya know? I recognize I'm asking for an undue favor, and I don't take that sort of thing lightly... If you can sympathize, what harm is there in deleting it?


Same guy (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I should mention that I'm

I should mention that I'm not a habitual drinker.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15723
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
same guy from before wrote:I

same guy from before wrote:

I just want to apologize for being rude.  It was a mistake to come here.  I am sorry if I insulted anyone; I was trying to be provocative, but I really don't like anything about the way this has gone.  (And I'm not trying to come back or anything, so please leave your flamethrower in its holster; I'm a human being.)

It was not a mistake to come here. YOUR mistake was buying into the stereotypes people sell you. You came in here gang busters wanting to wag your finger at trying to equate us to monsters. Blasphemy and ridicule do not make someone a monster. It simply means we do not sugar coat what we think of something.

ALL OF US here without exception have family members, co-workers and friends who have some degree of belief. We do not live on an island nor could we, even if we wanted to.

No one is special, no one here on this site, no one in the world is, not you, not me. Every human who has lived, is living or will live all meet the same fate, we all die.

You jumped to conclusions. Instead of coming in with guns blazing, it would have been better for you to READ first and you would have seen, given enough time that everyone here are individuals. You would also see that we are diverse in our politics, jobs and class status, hobbies, habits, sports and reading. The only thing we as individuals have in common here is a lack of belief in god/s.

Don't make assumptions.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
Instead of hoping for a

Instead of hoping for a clean slate. Why don't you accept the fact that you made the comments, and move forward.  Show people how different you can be.  Show them that you can learn to approach things differently.  That way in the future you can look back and point to how you were and how you are now.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Sapient has stated that he

Sapient has stated that he unbanned your account. You can post as froodley now.

Still me wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is that i'm interested in continuing to contribute, in a less arrogant way, but my condition is that you cut me some slack for having a bad weekend and getting myself into shit.

Your condition?

So, you are not going to contribute unless we delete this thread? You are refusing to educate yourself on these issues unless we take away your drunk rant?

Still me wrote:
I understand why you don't want to, and I would probably be thinking the same...

If you really understand and you would think the same thing, then why are you still trying to convince us to delete this thread? You would know that we're not going to. I sympathized with you when you first showed remorse about your opening posts, and I still kind of do. But now, the longer you do this, the less I like you.

Still me wrote:
but the lesson here for me is mostly 'don't drink and post;' you don't need to slam the lesson all over my head.

It's not just a punishment. We don't like deleting content in general. 

Still me wrote:
You wouldn't want a big black mark on you for something like that, ya know?

As I stated, I have many black marks on the Internet under this username. But, I'm not sure that I would want them to be deleted because it's kind of dishonest. Don't you think it's kind of dishonest?

If you want to fix this, open a new thread for a thoughtful discussion with us. That will make you look better. What you're doing right now makes you look worse.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


same guy (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Sapient has stated that he

Sapient has stated that he unbanned your account. You can post as froodley now.

 

I know that.  I'm choosing not to because I don't feel like I'm being treated very considerately.  I made acted unkindly in a moment of bad judgement, realized my mistake and apologized.  You are acting unkindly on an ongoing basis.  Maybe the immaturity is not as one-sided as you think.  Maybe it's not even so much on my side.

 

 

Quote:
Your condition?

So, you are not going to contribute unless we delete this thread?

Yes, that's correct. 

Quote:
You are refusing to educate yourself on these issues unless we take away your drunk rant?

Who says I'm uneducated?  I have a college degree in philosophy.  I've had thousands and thousands of conversations and arguments about these issues.  I've read many of the books you are likely to name.  I've spent most of my life thinking about religion.  I took a particular tactic in posting here, which I regret, but maybe to me the situation seems reversed.  Maybe to me you seem new and left-brained and stubborn.

I don't really want to waste my time, so unless you can do what I already have done, back down from your original stance and realize you're being abusive, then I will have to endure the black mark.  On the other hand, I think a lot of people reading this thread would see a very different conversation than the one you all see.  They would see a guy calling me an idiot and trying to publicly humiliate me for disagreeing with him.

You decide whether you may have a share in this.  I don't really think I come out looking that bad, apart from being kind of a jerk to a room full of people who routinely do the exact same thing to theists.


froodley
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-08-22
User is offlineOffline
I would just like to state

I would just like to state for the record that the admins deleted my last post, which did not contain profanity or insults of any kind.  Watch and see if they delete this one.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
froodley wrote:I would just

froodley wrote:

I would just like to state for the record that the admins deleted my last post, which did not contain profanity or insults of any kind.  Watch and see if they delete this one.

No we didn't dumbass, you posted it as anonymous again so it is still waiting for me to approve it as I was at work.  I will approve it in a minute.  I told you I unbanned your account so you can post as froodley so you didn't have to wait.  Are you drunk again?   
 

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


froodley
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-08-22
User is offlineOffline
As I mentioned, I'm not a

As I mentioned, I'm not a habitual drinker.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
same guy wrote:Sapient has

same guy wrote:

Sapient has stated that he unbanned your account. You can post as froodley now.

 

I know that.  I'm choosing not to because I don't feel like I'm being treated very considerately.  I made acted unkindly in a moment of bad judgement, realized my mistake and apologized.  You are acting unkindly on an ongoing basis.  Maybe the immaturity is not as one-sided as you think.  Maybe it's not even so much on my side.

 

 

Quote:
Your condition?

So, you are not going to contribute unless we delete this thread?

Yes, that's correct. 

Quote:
You are refusing to educate yourself on these issues unless we take away your drunk rant?

Who says I'm uneducated?  I have a college degree in philosophy.  I've had thousands and thousands of conversations and arguments about these issues.  I've read many of the books you are likely to name.  I've spent most of my life thinking about religion.  I took a particular tactic in posting here, which I regret, but maybe to me the situation seems reversed.  Maybe to me you seem new and left-brained and stubborn.

I don't really want to waste my time, so unless you can do what I already have done, back down from your original stance and realize you're being abusive, then I will have to endure the black mark.  On the other hand, I think a lot of people reading this thread would see a very different conversation than the one you all see.  They would see a guy calling me an idiot and trying to publicly humiliate me for disagreeing with him.

You decide whether you may have a share in this.  I don't really think I come out looking that bad, apart from being kind of a jerk to a room full of people who routinely do the exact same thing to theists.

 

 We have been as considerate as possible in an effort to make you understand that you don't have to run away like a scolded dog with your tail tucked between your legs. You do understand you aren't in any position here to give anyone or terms conditions as to whether you return to this forum or not. The choice is yours on whether to stay or go. Once again you are making an ass of yourself by telling us we are the immature ones. Refer to my previous post if you like then tell me if you actually think it's immature.

I don't remember my exact wording but my point was to get you to understand that if you come here trying to blast people you will definitely get it right back to you. I highly doubt you have gotten very far in thousands of debates and arguments if you handled them the way you did on here. You have used alcohol as an excuse and all I can say to that is that maybe you shouldn't log on when under the influence? In case you don't realize this isn't a see who can cut each other down thing. Time to time you will see that but for the most part it's usually educated debate.

There's really not that many posts on this thread and the majority of them are from the same people. I willing to bet that if most everyone on here with the exception of the actual Christians ( if there are any ) had seen this you'd probably be drinking a case right now crying. Maybe you should take more time to think about what you said and understand how offensive you were.Then come back with a different attitude cuz I can tell you people aren't going to be nice about that kind of attitude you portrayed so far. If you're looking for pity you're in the wrong place.

We heard the sorrys but I'm pretty sure there isn't room for too many more and we are not going to coddle you like a baby. You are a grown man I assume and you are entitled to your opinion but sometimes things are better left unsaid. There's also a much mature way of disagreement with people that don't have the same belief as you.So we're not going to beg you to stay. The choice is yours. All we're saying is come here on a mature level. Check other threads that are put here with intent to piss people off. They get it way worse than you did.You can rant all you want to here but you should know what is to come of that when your intent is to piss people off.

That being said, stay or go we really don't care. Like I said in my previous post there is obviously a reason you created an account on here. But if it is to come in here and tell everyone they are stupid and uneducated mofos then maybe you shouldn't come back cuz you're just going to keep getting the same stuff that is making you so unhappy right now.

 

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


froodley
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-08-22
User is offlineOffline
Rachel, I did think your

Rachel, I did think your posts showed maturity; in fact, your attitude helped me realize I needed to rethink my gambit... I am not doing a perfect job of replying to all nine of you or whatever in my limited free time. As to making an ass of myself for calling you immature right back after admitting I had been, well, that's in the eye of the beholder. To my eye it makes you look closed-minded about what's happening here. *shrug* Was I offensive? Yes. I was doing a "don't sugarcoat it" thing myself. To a certain extent I feel like I just did too good of a job. I did not at any point refer to anyone as stupid or uneducated. You should check. "childish," yes. It's a very different concept. The line about the "intellectually lazy mofos" was a slapdash attempt to cut off future rambling know-it-all psychedelics freaks at the pass, because I've known people to react so poorly to the experience that they wind up in mental institutions from taking the stuff more than a few times. I am sorry because a few things I said lower in the thread seem nasty in hindsight. I would like the thread removed, because I was uncharacteristically harsh and because it's a public acknowledgement that I've used mushrooms, but really it's something everyone already knows. Honestly, at this point (for me) it's about you all realizing how you're treating me. If you can't reverse the situation in your head and get to the next intersection, then my staying seems like a waste of my energies.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
froodley wrote:The line

froodley wrote:

The line about the "intellectually lazy mofos" was a slapdash attempt to cut off future rambling know-it-all psychedelics freaks at the pass, because I've known people to react so poorly to the experience that they wind up in mental institutions from taking the stuff more than a few times.

You seem to misunderstand your main flaw.  When you use a line like "intellectually lazy mofos" you should hope you are not being one yourself.  While many people don't advocate being a dick, I don't see as much of a problem with it if you have the stuff to back it.  Still to this point you haven't seemed to learn that atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive.  All agnostics are either theist or atheist.  That is the crux of this thread because YOU made it the crux of the thread.  Since a few posts in, once you learned what our arguments were this thread turned into an argument about personality, while it should have been about comprehension.  Your major flaw is not personality, it's comprehension.  

You may think that an outsider would view us as rude, we may think the other.  Who cares about that?  An intelligent outsider will be looking to see where you admit that your first post was wrong not because of how you presented your argument but because of the context of your argument.  You are wrong about your position, the fact that you were a jerk about it is secondary.  That you didn't get this earlier, before I needed to outline it for you is beyond me.  

 

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
froodley wrote:As I

froodley wrote:
As I mentioned, I'm not a habitual drinker.

You sure you got a degree in Philosophy?  Not being a habitual drinker doesn't eliminate the possibility that you were drunk when you made that post.  

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Well I can see where you

Well I can see where you would want them to delete it but chances are they're not going to. All I'm saying is that if you want to live it down just take it as a learning experience and move on. Nobody takes remarks like those with a grain of salt. I'm sure that if a homeless person walked up to you and asked for money and you screamed at them get a job you lazy piece of shit they would probably have some pretty bitter words in return.

Some of us have had our asses handed to us here and some of us lash back out in return. But the thing about it is you say what you say and move on. It doesn't mean you have to even talk to that person if you don't want to. You'll get disagreement here and a good bit of crap that'll piss you off. I'm not looking for friends on here, I have plenty. I just made the profile to see what was up on here, liked it and decided to stay. Anyway, if you decide to stay I hope you enjoy it.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
same guy wrote:I know

same guy wrote:
I know that.  I'm choosing not to because I don't feel like I'm being treated very considerately.  I made acted unkindly in a moment of bad judgement, realized my mistake and apologized.  You are acting unkindly on an ongoing basis.  Maybe the immaturity is not as one-sided as you think.  Maybe it's not even so much on my side.

Thus far, I've only typed two responses to you on this forum. I feel that I have treated you very fairly in those responses, certainly nicer that most of the other posters in this thread, so I'm surprised that you're trying to insult me. Are you trying to destroy every last shred of sympathy I have for you? If you are, it's working pretty well.

Anyways, we're all individuals here, so don't lump everyone together. Some people will not hesitate to be more antagonistic towards you while others will seem to have an infinite amount of patience. 

same guy wrote:
Yes, that's correct.

The mods are not going to delete this thread. You can leave whenever you want. Nobody's stopping you.

same guy wrote:
Who says I'm uneducated?

Me.

same guy wrote:
I have a college degree in philosophy.  I've had thousands and thousands of conversations and arguments about these issues.  I've read many of the books you are likely to name.  I've spent most of my life thinking about religion.  I took a particular tactic in posting here, which I regret, but maybe to me the situation seems reversed.  Maybe to me you seem new and left-brained and stubborn.

I don't care if you claim that your name is Jesus Christ. On the Internet, you are anonymous, and I will judge you by what you have written. So far, what you've written is garbage. It doesn't reflect the writing of someone with a respectable college degree. Sorry. 

same guy wrote:
I don't really want to waste my time, so unless you can do what I already have done, back down from your original stance and realize you're being abusive, then I will have to endure the black mark.  On the other hand, I think a lot of people reading this thread would see a very different conversation than the one you all see.  They would see a guy calling me an idiot and trying to publicly humiliate me for disagreeing with him.

You decide whether you may have a share in this. I don't really think I come out looking that bad, apart from being kind of a jerk to a room full of people who routinely do the exact same thing to theists.

Oh, so now that the mods have refused to delete this thread, you're going to attempt to save face by arguing that you actually look like the good guy? Even though, only a few posts ago #69, you were asking us to remove it because you looked so bad in it? Have you heard of the Principle of contradiction, Mr. Philosopher?

Ooohh, and once again, you make an unjustified, sweeping assumption about the atheists on this forum. Nice. I'm guessing, tomorrow, you're going to tell me that you were drunk again today? Twice in one week? That's pretty habitual, don't you think?

Okay, pumpkin. I give you permission to leave this website in all your boundless arrogance, and we'll leave this thread up so that random lurkers can laugh at froodley for many years to come. Mmm'kay?

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:same guy

butterbattle wrote:

same guy wrote:
Who says I'm uneducated?

Me.

Me too.

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


froodley
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-08-22
User is offlineOffline
Sapient - Maybe that's

Sapient -

Maybe that's nothing more than your point of view. For myself, I believe I understood what you were saying just fine. I just disagree with you. I found what you were saying reductionist on some level. But when I tried to explain why, you declared me an idiot, and your fingers have been in your ears ever since.

I'm going to take the high road and ignore the rest. I just hear lashing back.


froodley
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-08-22
User is offlineOffline
Actually, I will reply to

Actually, I will reply to part of butterbattle's because he made some points I need to address...

 

butterbattle wrote:

Thus far, I've only typed two responses to you on this forum. I feel that I have treated you very fairly in those responses, certainly nicer that most of the other posters in this thread, so I'm surprised that you're trying to insult me.

My general reply to your response:  I am mostly replying from a cell phone, with very limited time, and I don't have the wherewithal to completely individualize every reply.  My replies are usually general replies to everything that's been said since the last time I posted.  I wish I could do a better, more fair job than that, and I don't think all atheists are anything.  That said, it's much less time-consuming to paint with too broad a brush and apologize for the ones it misses than it is to do an in-depth psychological profile and life history of every individual you meet and cater your statements to that person's specific attitudes and proclivities.  "So sue me."

 

Quote:
So far, what you've written is garbage. It doesn't reflect the writing of someone with a respectable college degree. Sorry.

Is it?  I could write some stiff, mealy-mouthed academic stuff, but I've learned that there are other, more effective, and ultimately more meaningful ways to express myself.  I graduated with top honors from a good school.  I just don't think of academic writing as having any vitality or historical importance at this stage, and I don't bother myself with it.

Quote:
Oh, so now that the mods have refused to delete this thread, you're going to attempt to save face by arguing that you actually look like the good guy? Even though, only a few posts ago #69, you were asking us to remove it because you looked so bad in it? Have you heard of the Principle of contradiction, Mr. Philosopher?

 

I thought about it more and decided it wasn't really that it looked _SO_ bad... it was the mixture of things... endorsing and acknowledging psychedelic use, being rude... it's not that I look like a good guy.  I probably look like a jerk.  It's that most of you do, too.  And more to the point, it's that YOU'RE actually still BEING jerks.

Quote:
Ooohh, and once again, you make an unjustified, sweeping assumption about the atheists on this forum. Nice. I'm guessing, tomorrow, you're going to tell me that you were drunk again today? Twice in one week? That's pretty habitual, don't you think?

 

You're making an unjustified, sweeping assumption about me right there.  I just said, twice, that I'm not a habitual drinker.  And yeah, you know what?  You can say all you want that every atheist should be treated as an individual.  And in some fantasy land, that's true.  But it's just like any other group in the world; it has a reputation, and that reputation is partially deserved.  I face discrimination because of my longish hair.  It's not fair, but I don't bitch and moan and complain about it.  If you want to stand out as different from the average atheist, as some of you do, then do so, but if the shoe fits you're gonna wind up wearing it.

Quote:
Okay, pumpkin. I give you permission to leave this website in all your boundless arrogance, and we'll leave this thread up so that random lurkers can laugh at froodley for many years to come. Mmm'kay?

Would it surprise you to learn that to another type of person, what you just said seems merely arrogant and amusing?


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote: So far,

butterbattle wrote:

 So far, what you've written is garbage. It doesn't reflect the writing of someone with a respectable college degree. Sorry. 

Smiling

Well I have a college degree ... and HOW IS IT REFLECTED IN MY WRITING? Smiling

 

 


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
froodley wrote:My general

froodley wrote:

My general reply to your response:  I am mostly replying from a cell phone, with very limited time, and I don't have the wherewithal to completely individualize every reply.  My replies are usually general replies to everything that's been said since the last time I posted.  I wish I could do a better, more fair job than that, and I don't think all atheists are anything.  That said, it's much less time-consuming to paint with too broad a brush and apologize for the ones it misses than it is to do an in-depth psychological profile and life history of every individual you meet and cater your statements to that person's specific attitudes and proclivities.  "So sue me."

 

Just a little suggestion.  The library has workstations you can use with real keyboards and free internet access.  Your tax dollars at work -----

 

Nice to meet you.  Even if it is saying hello to say goodbye.

PS: my degree is Systems Engineering and I really am an old lady - my grandson turns 15 shortly.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Good point and I have an

Good point and I have an iphone and it's not able to do the quotes the he did them. I think he's making excuses.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
froodley wrote:My general

froodley wrote:
My general reply to your response:  I am mostly replying from a cell phone, with very limited time, and I don't have the wherewithal to completely individualize every reply.  My replies are usually general replies to everything that's been said since the last time I posted.  I wish I could do a better, more fair job than that, and I don't think all atheists are anything.  That said, it's much less time-consuming to paint with too broad a brush and apologize for the ones it misses than it is to do an in-depth psychological profile and life history of every individual you meet and cater your statements to that person's specific attitudes and proclivities.  "So sue me."

Okay, I'll buy that. I wish you wouldn't quote me then, because I assume that you're responding to my post.

froodley wrote:
Is it?  I could write some stiff, mealy-mouthed academic stuff, but I've learned that there are other, more effective, and ultimately more meaningful ways to express myself.  I graduated with top honors from a good school.  I just don't think of academic writing as having any vitality or historical importance at this stage, and I don't bother myself with it.

Well, I'm not necessarily searching for a doctoral dissertation. I just need to see enough thoughtfulness to be reassured that you're intelligent and informed on the issues, as opposed to, "I think everyone on this forum needs to get laid and/or try shrooms (but no hard drugs, you intellectually-lazy mofos)." Btw, I think this post I'm responding to is a lot better than your previous ones. I'm starting to like you again. Ha! Seriously though, if you had spent your initial post asking us what we believed instead of coming in with your guns blazing, we wouldn't have had to go through all this crap. And, your stupid part of this thread lasts for over 12 hours. Were you drunk that long?

Even if you did graduate with top honors from a good college, you were still ignorant/uneducated about the issues we were discussing in this thread. Nobody on this forum, to my knowledge, claims to be absolutely certain that there is no intelligence behind the origin of the universe. Most broadly speaking, we are simply unconvinced about the existence of any God entity i.e. we do not believe it until we are presented with sufficient evidence. Ergo, I would wager that we believe essentially the same thing you do. In fact, we consider ourselves to be agnostic atheists. We define theism and atheism as a dichotomy; either you believe in God or you don't. We use agnosticism as a qualifier, a description of knowledge. Someone who doesn't think God exists, but isn't certain, is an agnostic atheist. Someone who thinks God exists, but isn't certain, is an agnostic theist.

On the previous page, other people already explained this to you, and you just responded with the tripe, "Everyone else in the worlds defines atheism as disbelief in God and agnosticism as not knowing. So if you want to sit around and yank it and tell me that in your world a hat is a four-legged animal that says meow, you have fun with that. No offense." Apart from the fact that you were simply arguing semantics by this point and that your analogy isn't much more than a dishonest insult, I can make a very strong case that how we use these terms do not contradict dictionary definitions and a decent case that they are more reasonable as well. The word is a-theism, which means without theism. We disbelieve God, which can just mean that we don't believe in God; it's not necessarily denial. But, we are not certain i.e. we don't "know." That is how all the regular members of this forum define agnosticism and atheism. That is how many if not most popular non-theists define it. That is how most people at my university's Secular Student Union defines it. Overall, I know more people who use this definition than your definition.   

But, you don't have to use my definition. It's semantics; as long as it doesn't get in the way of us understanding each other, it's inconsequential. You came into this forum with a strawman, and you've been arguing semantics ever since.   

froodley wrote:
I thought about it more and decided it wasn't really that it looked _SO_ bad... it was the mixture of things... endorsing and acknowledging psychedelic use, being rude... it's not that I look like a good guy.  I probably look like a jerk.  It's that most of you do, too.  And more to the point, it's that YOU'RE actually still BEING jerks.

Perhaps. However, I contend that you still look like the biggest jerk here, by far.

froodley wrote:
You're making an unjustified, sweeping assumption about me right there.  I just said, twice, that I'm not a habitual drinker.

Lol. Notice the smiley face. I'm just kidding about the habitual drinking thing, man.

Edit: Oh yeah. Also, my assumption can't be sweeping because you're only one person.

froodley wrote:
And yeah, you know what?  You can say all you want that every atheist should be treated as an individual.  And in some fantasy land, that's true.  But it's just like any other group in the world; it has a reputation, and that reputation is partially deserved.  I face discrimination because of my longish hair.  It's not fair, but I don't bitch and moan and complain about it.  If you want to stand out as different from the average atheist, as some of you do, then do so, but if the shoe fits you're gonna wind up wearing it.

Oh? So, you're going to discriminate just because that's what everyone else does?

froodley wrote:
Would it surprise you to learn that to another type of person, what you just said seems merely arrogant and amusing?

No. Not at all. I already know at least one person who found those couple sentences to be extremely arrogant.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
I'm an habitual drinker

 

frood and I'm insulted by the fact you keep pleading you are not one as if there's something wrong with boozing. It's really starting to undermine my confidence in my life choices.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


froodley
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-08-22
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Good point and I have an iphone and it's not able to do the quotes the he did them. I think he's making excuses.

 

It can, you just have to put them in yourself.  It's a normal ubb "["quote"]["/quote]" tag, without the quotation marks.


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Don't worry AE, I got your

Don't worry AE, I got your back on the drinking thing.

 

What say we start a club, something along the lines of “Atheists for strong drink”? We can start with you, me and Hitch, although considering his current medical situation, Hitch may have to stand as a member emeritus.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
froodley

froodley wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Good point and I have an iphone and it's not able to do the quotes the he did them. I think he's making excuses.

 

It can, you just have to put them in yourself.  It's a normal ubb "["quote"]["/quote]" tag, without the quotation marks.

 

What?  The quote button doesn't work?

 

That is what I am using to make a full quote job here.  Just for fun, in a couple of hours, the FEDEX man is bringing me brand new Archos 5 handheld, and I will try it from that as well.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
Posts: 249
Joined: 2010-08-07
User is offlineOffline
FroodlyI'm sure my post was

Froodly

I'm sure my post was one of the ones that caused you to say that we are "Childish", but you asked for it. Now I am with the rest. If you can change the way you viewed us, and come back with some objective to your post then we will welcome you. But forget, or delete this post no.

The typical preach gets caught with his pants down story. "forgive me for I have made a grave mistake, it is the only one I have ever made" Bullshit.

We will not forget, however if you can understand that we will debate you on the topic of your choice. Then post your topic without all the I'm right your wrong bullshit, and we will debate...

Now I will say that I am sorry for using family as a weapon to get at you. It was meant as a joke, or a poke at you. I hope that you will come back with some of that college degree intellect and show us what you have to offer.

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
I wrote:You seem to

I wrote:
You seem to misunderstand your main flaw.  When you use a line like "intellectually lazy mofos" you should hope you are not being one yourself.  While many people don't advocate being a dick, I don't see as much of a problem with it if you have the stuff to back it.  Still to this point you haven't seemed to learn that atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive.  All agnostics are either theist or atheist.  That is the crux of this thread because YOU made it the crux of the thread.  Since a few posts in, once you learned what our arguments were this thread turned into an argument about personality, while it should have been about comprehension.  Your major flaw is not personality, it's comprehension.  

You may think that an outsider would view us as rude, we may think the other.  Who cares about that?  An intelligent outsider will be looking to see where you admit that your first post was wrong not because of how you presented your argument but because of the context of your argument.  You are wrong about your position, the fact that you were a jerk about it is secondary.  That you didn't get this earlier, before I needed to outline it for you is beyond me.

You wrote:
Sapient - Maybe that's nothing more than your point of view. For myself, I believe I understood what you were saying just fine. I just disagree with you. I found what you were saying reductionist on some level. But when I tried to explain why, you declared me an idiot, and your fingers have been in your ears ever since. I'm going to take the high road and ignore the rest. I just hear lashing back.

You did it again.  I was thinking on simply resting on my previous post but...

Since you disagree with the definitions I presented we are left to believe you still think "atheism IS theism" ?  

 

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Ok ok if the quote button on

Ok ok if the quote button on the iphone works fine. But it's hard and time consuming and I don't have the patience for it.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15723
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
same guy from before

same guy from before wrote:
Please put yourself in my position; I said some things that I regret, and I've apologized. It's not a business thing; I am employed. I am just embarrassed by my conduct. Treat me the way you'd want to be treated, ya know?

Everyone here without exception has stuck their foot in their mouth at some point in their lives. I can only speak for myself. What bothers me, more than an ignorant statement made by someone else(not just you) but anyone, isn't that they say it. It is that they hit and run and wont make the attempt to defend what they say in a rational manor.

You should regret what you say, not because we are trying to force anyone to like us. You should regret what you say because you did not formulate a coherent argument and had no intent on defending your position.

We have thick skins, we will not melt like an ice cube  under the sun. We have heard it all before. What bothers me most is when people don't stick around to try to explain why they say what they say.

It gets heated on this board for both the believer and the atheist sometimes. You don't have to sugar coat your opinions to us, but don't run from what you say, and don't base it on an emotional kneejerk reaction to hearing something you are not used to hearing.

All I have seen this site  ask for when theists debate us is not to preach or spam or threaten us(physically). Other than that, it's members have really heard it all before. The atheists here have been equated to Hitler, Stalin. We have been called evil and immoral. We have been threatened with hell. None of that bothers us, at least not me.

Hit and run posting does bother most here  because it shows the insecurity of the person doing it and the lack of an argument to boot.

Dont feel bad about sticking your foot in your mouth, we all do it. But if you are going to stay, simply try to make an argument for your position and have an equally thick skin as we do, and do not take what we say personally.

We have never met you in person. You could be the nicest person in the world, we don't know. This is all about claims, and strictly the claim any person may make, and even on subjects not even dealing with a god claim.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
A club would be good

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Don't worry AE, I got your back on the drinking thing.

 

What say we start a club, something along the lines of “Atheists for strong drink”? We can start with you, me and Hitch, although considering his current medical situation, Hitch may have to stand as a member emeritus.

 

 

Perhaps we could be filled with the spirit of hitch. It might have been the smokes that got him, though there's evidence that most throat cancers are caused by the HPV virus - the drinking and smoking just sets it off.

I've done both those things in my life in a bingey, part-time sort of way (the industrial-strength hangovers keep me in check). It would be a solemn business to face.

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


freeminer
Theist
Posts: 304
Joined: 2010-07-04
User is offlineOffline
froodley wrote:Y'all are

froodley wrote:
Y'all are already boring me. A bunch of ad hominems and the absurd claim that I or anyone else is confused about the meaning of 'not theist.' I thought this would be more engaging than it has been. I'm busy.

 

you idiots, now I'll never get his wallet!

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.