So....Ezekiel Chapter 4

mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
So....Ezekiel Chapter 4

I've read some commentaries, and they go about happily expounding on what various words mean, but I don't see anyone ask the vital question:  What the fuck??

Seriously, this has got to be one of the strangest passages in the Bible, and you don't see it brought up very often.

 

 

Siege of Jerusalem Symbolized

 1 "Now, son of man, take a clay tablet, put it in front of you and draw the city of Jerusalem on it. 2 Then lay siege to it: Erect siege works against it, build a ramp up to it, set up camps against it and put battering rams around it. 3 Then take an iron pan, place it as an iron wall between you and the city and turn your face toward it. It will be under siege, and you shall besiege it. This will be a sign to the house of Israel.

 4 "Then lie on your left side and put the sin of the house of Israel upon yourself. [a] You are to bear their sin for the number of days you lie on your side. 5 I have assigned you the same number of days as the years of their sin. So for 390 days you will bear the sin of the house of Israel.

 6 "After you have finished this, lie down again, this time on your right side, and bear the sin of the house of Judah. I have assigned you 40 days, a day for each year. 7 Turn your face toward the siege of Jerusalem and with bared arm prophesy against her. 8 I will tie you up with ropes so that you cannot turn from one side to the other until you have finished the days of your siege.

 9 "Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. You are to eat it during the 390 days you lie on your side. 10 Weigh out twenty shekels [b] of food to eat each day and eat it at set times. 11 Also measure out a sixth of a hin [c] of water and drink it at set times. 12 Eat the food as you would a barley cake; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel." 13 The LORD said, "In this way the people of Israel will eat defiled food among the nations where I will drive them."

 14 Then I said, "Not so, Sovereign LORD! I have never defiled myself. From my youth until now I have never eaten anything found dead or torn by wild animals. No unclean meat has ever entered my mouth."

 15 "Very well," he said, "I will let you bake your bread over cow manure instead of human excrement."

 16 He then said to me: "Son of man, I will cut off the supply of food in Jerusalem. The people will eat rationed food in anxiety and drink rationed water in despair,17 for food and water will be scarce. They will be appalled at the sight of each other and will waste away because of [d] their sin.

 

 

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
Ezekiel is a nut

 Perhaps it is bad etiquette to point you to my blog but I found loads of things that were crazy about Ezekiel and wrote about it here

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/search/label/Ezekiel

 

The Jesus of the New Testament picked up a number of things from Ezekiel. One pronounced plagiarism is constantly referring to himself as the Son of Man. My favorite lifting is saying if the miracles you have just seen if they had been done in Sodom & Gomorrah (and a number of other cities) they would have repented. How insane is this God who could have saved people by performing a simple miracle but couldn't be bothered? God is Love is Bullshit. Another insane behavior that God was going to punish Israel but held back not to give them time to repent but so the other nations wouldn't mock Him. The big guy has a big ego. In Ezekiel there are contradictions of course and I love that Ezekiel clearly states that there is definitive proof for the existence of his God "and you will know that I am the Lord God".

 

Ezekiel wasn't too creative. I find that parable you noted pretty lame and expect Ezekiel never did it. There is no mention in the book that he really did it as far as I can tell. His other stories like the 2 eagles are quite lame. He is just pissed off and angry.

Ezekiel and Revelation are two books that heavily contributed in making this minister an atheist. I would point people to Ezekiel to prove the Bible is not divine whatever the hell that means.

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived" - Isaac Asimov

 

 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13759
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: Perhaps

ex-minister wrote:

 Perhaps it is bad etiquette to point you to my blog but I found loads of things that were crazy about Ezekiel and wrote about it here

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/search/label/Ezekiel

 

 

The Jesus of the New Testament picked up a number of things from Ezekiel. One pronounced plagiarism is constantly referring to himself as the Son of Man. My favorite lifting is saying if the miracles you have just seen if they had been done in Sodom & Gomorrah (and a number of other cities) they would have repented. How insane is this God who could have saved people by performing a simple miracle but couldn't be bothered? God is Love is Bullshit. Another insane behavior that God was going to punish Israel but held back not to give them time to repent but so the other nations wouldn't mock Him. The big guy has a big ego. In Ezekiel there are contradictions of course and I love that Ezekiel clearly states that there is definitive proof for the existence of his God "and you will know that I am the Lord God".

 

Ezekiel wasn't too creative. I find that parable you noted pretty lame and expect Ezekiel never did it. There is no mention in the book that he really did it as far as I can tell. His other stories like the 2 eagles are quite lame. He is just pissed off and angry.

Ezekiel and Revelation are two books that heavily contributed in making this minister an atheist. I would point people to Ezekiel to prove the Bible is not divine whatever the hell that means.

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived" - Isaac Asimov

 

 

 

You are a traitor to Christianity. You allowed pesky things like scientific absurdity, moral bankruptcy, and biblical contradictions get to you. WHY  CANT YOU JUST HAVE FAITH?

The entire bible's plot describes the desires of an invisible dictator who burns his plastic army men with a magnifying glass in his sandbox when he cant arrange them the way he wants and then blames them for stuff he doesn't have to allow in the  first place.

Just the concept of "all seeing" alone as a claimed attribute of this alleged being is sick. So this "god" is up there watching me pee, shit and masturbate?

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2402
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
Chill OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

                            Brian 37   if ex-ministers is a traitor to christiany;  well more power to him we need more like him.   Rememer Brian 37 you are only an SOB online  not in real life.

 

 

 

                             Did I say that or did Brian 37 type it?    Yeah yeah  I know you are going to sue my  " dues paying" ass off ;   {feel guilty yet?}

 

 

                         Yes this god can see you pee,  shit and masterbate;  oh lucky god.  So  keep  up the good work or the almighty will get board and stop looking.  Do you still look as good when you dress like your sister?  

 

                       

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13759
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

 

 

                            Brian 37   if ex-ministers is a traitor to christiany;  well more power to him we need more like him.   Rememer Brian 37 you are only an SOB online  not in real life.

 

 

 

                             Did I say that or did Brian 37 type it?    Yeah yeah  I know you are going to sue my  " dues paying" ass off ;   {feel guilty yet?}

 

 

                         Yes this god can see you pee,  shit and masterbate;  oh lucky god.  So  keep  up the good work or the almighty will get board and stop looking.  Do you still look as good when you dress like your sister?  

 

                       

I'm not just an SOB online. Just ask my co-workers what a paranoid anal retentive fuck I can be during inspection time. My co workers love me, but they cannot stand me sometimes.

And yes, when I put on my fishnets and ruby lipstick, all the rednecks in my neighborhood get the urge to spray paint my name on the local water tower. Drives the local police nuts because they never catch the vandals.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:And yes, when

Brian37 wrote:

And yes, when I put on my fishnets and ruby lipstick, all the rednecks in my neighborhood get the urge to spray paint my name on the local water tower. Drives the local police nuts because they never catch the vandals.

 

I suppose it would be too much to ask for a picture?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You are a

Brian37 wrote:

You are a traitor to Christianity. You allowed pesky things like scientific absurdity, moral bankruptcy, and biblical contradictions get to you. WHY  CANT YOU JUST HAVE FAITH?

 

me:Lord, I believe help my unbelief.

Jeebus:Well, ex-minister I will fry your ass for eternity in hell if you don't believe everything  I say no matter how ridiculous it sounds to you or you see me not following my own rules.

me:Thank you, Lord. I see the light. Got no problems believing now...really I'm cool. Hey look at that atheist over named Brian37. He must get under your skin, right Lord?

 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/