Catholicism re: Christianity

OhMan
atheist
OhMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Catholicism re: Christianity

I got this off wikipedia and was just wondering if anyone can confirm that this is a catechism of the church or not

"

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Christianity, for example, has many subsets, not all of which are mutually compatible. For example, Catholic leadership has consistently maintained that only Catholics (and not non-Catholic Christians) will enter heaven."

If this is the case, can someone please show me where I can find this officially in the church teachings. Because census show that:

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

1.166 billion Catholics, 2.1billion Christians, 3.8billion Abrahamic religions

This means that only 1.166 of the population go the Heaven? What happens to the followers of Christianity? Do they go to Purgatory or Hell? Please I wish to know this very much!

Thanks in advance,

OhMan.

OhMan
atheist
OhMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
OMFG WHERE IS THE EDIT

OMFG WHERE IS THE EDIT BUTTON??

I got this off wikipedia and was just wondering if anyone can confirm that this is a catechism of the church or not

"Christianity, for example, has many subsets, not all of which are mutually compatible. For example, Catholic leadership has consistently maintained that only Catholics (and not non-Catholic Christians) will enter heaven."

If this is the case, can someone please show me where I can find this officially in the church teachings. Because census show that:

1.166 billion Catholics, 2.1billion Christians, 3.8billion Abrahamic religions

This means that only 1.166 of the population go the Heaven? What happens to the followers of Christianity? Do they go to Purgatory or Hell? Please I wish to know this very much!

Thanks in advance,

OhMan.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, Man.

The edit is on the top left of your original post - the right hand tab. Just run your eye up there. If you can't fix it some kindly mod will strip out the wayward code.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
catholicism

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

OhMan.

your friendly local scum replies:

not all Catholics are Christians [by a long way] according to Biblical definition. Purgatory is a Catholic construct and not Biblical. The Biblical definition of a Christian is one who is indwelt of the Holy Spirit. One becomes "indwelt" by regeneration. Catholic teaching  is that regeneration can occur through baptism, which is unbiblical. 

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I hate this crap.

I hate this crap. Catholicism is a sect of Christianity. Jesus is the one true god in Catholicism, it shares that will all other sects of Christianity. Changing the details doesn't make the motif different.

Sunnis and Shiites are both Muslim.

Christopher Hitchens is an atheist. He has the same core lack of belief in god/s as a politically correct "Kumbia" atheist.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

OhMan
atheist
OhMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
No I am asking this question

No I am asking this question looking for an answer from a Catholic perspective.

What would a Catholic say happens to the other people? And is this even an official teaching, if so, I would like to see the source.

So, any catholics around??

Thanks.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
the catholic church does not

the catholic church does not view other sects of christianity as having official church status, due to the fact that they do not enjoy the apostolic successions in the sacrament of orders and there for are deprived of constitutive element of the church.  As well the absence of the sacramental priesthood and have not preserved the genuine and integral substance of the eucharistic mystery and as such cannot be considered as a church.

With that said the schism the occurred and therefore allowed the creation of the protestant churches and various other sects, they are missing out on the many blessing, especially the sacraments, and as well they do not have the teaching magisterium and as such they cannot be trusted to properly interpret the bible nor provide proper guidance in discerning truths of the faith. As such god uses these communities to do his will, but they are not saved at all.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Official Catechism extract

http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847  This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

This can be interpreted in various ways, but it certainly accepts the possibility of non-Catholics 'going to heaven'.
It makes sense for a universal church to allow as many into their flock as possible.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I hate this

Brian37 wrote:

I hate this crap. Catholicism is a sect of Christianity. Jesus is the one true god in Catholicism, it shares that will all other sects of Christianity. Changing the details doesn't make the motif different.

Sunnis and Shiites are both Muslim.

Christopher Hitchens is an atheist. He has the same core lack of belief in god/s as a politically correct "Kumbia" atheist.

how discerning of you Brian

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
x

x wrote:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

someone should point out to his Popishness that he doesn't decide who goes to Heaven - it would be an idea if he gave up idolatry.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:the

latincanuck wrote:

the catholic church does not view other sects of christianity as having official church status, due to the fact that they do not enjoy the apostolic successions in the sacrament of orders and there for are deprived of constitutive element of the church.  As well the absence of the sacramental priesthood and have not preserved the genuine and integral substance of the eucharistic mystery and as such cannot be considered as a church.

With that said the schism the occurred and therefore allowed the creation of the protestant churches and various other sects, they are missing out on the many blessing, especially the sacraments, and as well they do not have the teaching magisterium and as such they cannot be trusted to properly interpret the bible nor provide proper guidance in discerning truths of the faith. As such god uses these communities to do his will, but they are not saved at all.

except that the Bible does not agree.........a small detail of course.......shame that Bible thing got into the hands of people who don't wear frocks and pointy hats! 

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
OhMan wrote:No I am asking

OhMan wrote:

No I am asking this question looking for an answer from a Catholic perspective.

What would a Catholic say happens to the other people? And is this even an official teaching, if so, I would like to see the source.

So, any catholics around??

Thanks.

tough cookie OM........everyone else goes to Hell.......trouble is, dig around a bit and they're not too sure they're not going themselves!.........and they're right, since they worship the Queen of Heaven!

OhMan
atheist
OhMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heaven and Hell don't

Heaven and Hell don't actually exist. You know that right?