Maybe a silly question

Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe a silly question

I always sort of wondered why people believed in certain conspiracy theories, freemasons, reptiloids, bilderburg, etc. I sort of wanted to put it up for discussion, I figured Religion and Irrationality would fit but since it's almost fully religion I wasn't sure if it would reasonably fit in there. Just asking and sorry if this has been answered before.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps, these 250+ posts

Perhaps, these 250+ posts may help answer your curiosity. 

Aidenkai - priceless.  Smiling

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/20364

Crossover
Theist
User is offlineOffline
It's because the entire

It's because the entire world is being run by a group of people I call "The Company". Dick Cheney and Karl Rove both are robots run by the company. Obama is really a cyborg that is being run by the current owner of "the company"....Rush Limbaugh. Previous owners include Warren Harding, Jimmy Carter, King George III,  and William Henry Harrison (but only briefly of course). Then President of "the company" Ozzie Ozbourne had Al Gore invent the internet years ago so he could set into place a plan that has been taken over by president Limbaugh in order to track and spy on all human beings. DON'T post on here....Rush is watching and Sarah Palin is set to take over! The world is looking bad.

Seriously though, it's a lot more fun to believe that the world is run by a secret society than to believe that things are as unorganized as they are. Although Free Masonry has always interested me. And if you ever tell a Mason that anyone you know is a Mason, they automatically love you. When I was selling cars, I sold two cars to Masons who only bought form me because my grandfather was a Mason. (Tip to anyone in sales, if you see someone with a Mason ring, liscence plate, etc. it really works). I have debated on being a Mason myself, but I'm straying from the point. There is no doubt that secret societies are more powerful than we think, but most of the puffed up stuff is just simply out of fun.

My Master has no desire to be merely victor in a debate: he did not come into the world to fight a battle of logic just
for the sake of winning it. --Charles Spurgeon

Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crossover wrote:It's because

Crossover wrote:

It's because the entire world is being run by a group of people I call "The Company". Dick Cheney and Karl Rove both are robots run by the company. Obama is really a cyborg that is being run by the current owner of "the company"....Rush Limbaugh. Previous owners include Warren Harding, Jimmy Carter, King George III,  and William Henry Harrison (but only briefly of course). Then President of "the company" Ozzie Ozbourne had Al Gore invent the internet years ago so he could set into place a plan that has been taken over by president Limbaugh in order to track and spy on all human beings. DON'T post on here....Rush is watching and Sarah Palin is set to take over! The world is looking bad.

Seriously though, it's a lot more fun to believe that the world is run by a secret society than to believe that things are as unorganized as they are. Although Free Masonry has always interested me. And if you ever tell a Mason that anyone you know is a Mason, they automatically love you. When I was selling cars, I sold two cars to Masons who only bought form me because my grandfather was a Mason. (Tip to anyone in sales, if you see someone with a Mason ring, liscence plate, etc. it really works). I have debated on being a Mason myself, but I'm straying from the point. There is no doubt that secret societies are more powerful than we think, but most of the puffed up stuff is just simply out of fun.

I guess that makes some sense, dunno know that about the Masons though, it might be more them in particular sorta like how some people in a union are more likely to buy if you use union labor or something similar but not all share the pattern. I mean I can see the argument in some things, the Skull and Bones looks sinister because of some occult trappings and the many well connected members of the group. However, it's probably more like a mutual aid society for the upper crust, the well connected get in, make friends with people and then they have an edge in the workforce and in shaping the way the world runs. It's not a direct planned thing, it's just a slightly more concentrated version of an exclusive fraternity in an ivy league college. The whole new world order stuff though always gets me because of how much either has to be kept secret or how many people have to be involved. I didn't even know how common this stuff was until I was reading about political groups during 50's onward and found the Jon Birch society and all of their stuff that seemed to also grab at things from Christianity. It was...weird to say the least.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crossover wrote:Seriously

Crossover wrote:

Masonry (the group, not the trade) was made up.  This guy had a chunk of Egyptian Hieroglyphics but the Rosetta stone had not yet been found.  So no one could read it.  So he made stuff up to suit himself.  The Eye of Horus became the eye of the christian god.  And so on.  Bullpucky, the whole thing.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Crossover
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Crossover

cj wrote:

Crossover wrote:

Masonry (the group, not the trade) was made up.  This guy had a chunk of Egyptian Hieroglyphics but the Rosetta stone had not yet been found.  So no one could read it.  So he made stuff up to suit himself.  The Eye of Horus became the eye of the christian god.  And so on.  Bullpucky, the whole thing.

I'm not sure I follow. I'm fairly familiar with the history of Mason (the group) but I'm not fluent by any means. I'm not sure if I folow what you're saying. Could you elaborate a bit?

My Master has no desire to be merely victor in a debate: he did not come into the world to fight a battle of logic just
for the sake of winning it. --Charles Spurgeon

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crossover wrote: Masonry

dp, sorry

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crossover wrote: cj wrote:

Crossover wrote:

cj wrote:

I'm not sure I follow. I'm fairly familiar with the history of Mason (the group) but I'm not fluent by any means. I'm not sure if I folow what you're saying. Could you elaborate a bit?

What they say on their web site is not what happened.  I got this story from perhaps Not out of Africa by Mary R. Lefkowitz.  It may have been another book - I read a bunch of similar books at that time and they were all from the library.

The original grand poobah had an Egyptian artifact with hieroglyphics.  He couldn't read hieroglyphics - at that time, no one could hieroglyphics as the Rosetta stone had not yet been discovered.  So he "analyzed" the hieroglyphics and came up with stuff he just made up.  What was the eye of Horus glyph (now thought to mean "to make do" or "one who does" ) became a symbol for the eye of the christian god.  As seen on the US dollar.  In his eyes, the pyramid was somehow related to ascending to heaven rather than a rich Egyptian attempting to preserve his/her body to have and use in the afterlife.  I don't remember all of the stuff he made up - as I honestly wasn't interested at the time.

But just like most religious commentaries, it was all made up by some guy who thought he knew more than anyone else.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Joker wrote:I always sort of

Joker wrote:

I always sort of wondered why people believed in certain conspiracy theories, freemasons, reptiloids, bilderburg, etc. I sort of wanted to put it up for discussion, I figured Religion and Irrationality would fit but since it's almost fully religion I wasn't sure if it would reasonably fit in there. Just asking and sorry if this has been answered before.

It's hard to tell where conspiracy theories start and stop. For example, Freemasons are harmless, except to your bank account. (their admission fees are deadly) Bilderburg group exists and one my well known politician (Schwarzenberg) is their member. Recently his political party had a mysterious 0 to 15% popularity boost. Before that, he lied to all nation and was one of those who wanted to build here radar station of United States. (a part of missile station) Our politicians seriously wanted it, despite of the opinion of 70% of the nation - so tell me something about democracy.

But other conspiracy theories are just plain nonsense and it is such a test of intelligence. For example, giving chips to people for tracking them and spying on them. Well, this technology of course exists, but it's pretty useless. Today's cell phones are so sophisticated, that their computers can do anything without us knowing. And we carry them around willingly, hell, we even pay for them. So why would anyone need tracking chips.

Typically, these conspiracy theorists focus on some lesser problems making them look big, while overlooking the real big problems. They don't like things such as industrial meat production, neither do I. But they overlook the greater picture, like the 30-50% waste of all food in developed countries, market forces that cause superfluous demand and market rules that rip off 100 countries while G8 or G20 if you want gets 80% of global resources.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, as Luminon points out,

Well, as Luminon points out, there are things going on behind the scenes which are relevant to our lives.

Take cell phones for example. Yes, they can track your location to within a pace or so. My brother is a 911 operator and he has confirmed that much. If you live in a place the has “enhanced 911” then there is a GPS chip in your phone. Even if you are not paying for the service and thus can't directly access the data, it is there in case you need to call an ambulance. BTW, if you dust dial 9 and then drop the phone, it will route through to 911 after a few seconds of no further action on your part.

Another one is the discount cards that grocery stores give us all. Trust me on this, they do not love you and want you to spend less money. Sure, you get a few bucks off on your groceries but by scanning the card at the register, they can compile a list of everything that you have ever bought at that store or chain. Then too, different companies can pool that data to make a much larger database on you. Not because they are out to get you or something but rather, they can save quite a bit of cash on not sending you advertisements for stuff you don't care about.

A really good third entry is the light rail conspiracy. This one really is documented as collusion between several oil companies, tire companies and car manufacturers. They bough up all the light rail in the USA during the 1930's with the specific intent of closing them down so that people would have no choice but to buy more cars.

So yah, there is stuff going on out there. Once in a while it may even be a real problem if it became generally known while the conspiracy was operative.

The better question is why people believe the bat shit insane stuff like the faked moon landing (Hint for those who are into that one: It was the plot of a 1978 movie starring James Brolin, Sam Watterston and O. J. Simpson) and other crap.

Honestly, my best guess is that people like to believe that the world really is not as chaotic as it seems. Even if the secret men running the world are evil, at least someone is running things. The alternative being that the world is a chaotic mess.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

The better question is why people believe the bat shit insane stuff like the faked moon landing (Hint for those who are into that one: It was the plot of a 1978 movie starring James Brolin, Sam Watterston and O. J. Simpson) and other crap.

What kind of fake moon landing? For example, I believe that we really landed on moon. But I'm not so sure that all the photographs and records are 100% authentic. The Internet guy Joe P. Skipper demonstrates that they were tampered with, and for good reasons. Of course, I don't know where to get originals, so I don't know who's the Photoshop guy, but it's a dent in NASA's credibility and proverbial water for other sources' mill.

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Honestly, my best guess is that people like to believe that the world really is not as chaotic as it seems. Even if the secret men running the world are evil, at least someone is running things. The alternative being that the world is a chaotic mess.

The problem is, that there are numerous secret men trying to run the world and not everyone in the same way. Another problem is, that some groups of those men try to run the world in such a way, that does not work anymore. For example, hyper-capitalism does not work, because the uppermost class accumulated almost all global wealth and there is hardly anything to trade with. Now people try to trade with money themselves (speculation) and with copyright, information and other immaterial things. This produces huge financial sector, and remember, every dollar made out of nowhere by speculation is supposed to buy real goods that don't even exist. This happens when people running the world look into rear mirror and think it's future ahead of them.

Fortunately, there are also good secret groups. The alternative is a golden age where consumerism, war and repetitive work will be replaced by thinking, playfulness, creativity, socializing and mystical experiences. I'd like to contribute to manifestation of such a culture and at the same time to make sure there still will be personal computers with Internet Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

danieljones2006
User is offlineOffline
 conspiracy theories,

conspiracy theories, freemasons, reptiloids, bilderburg, etc. are liked by people because these theories brings up evidences to back their claims. When people analyze the claims made by various conspiracy theories, freemasons, reptiloids, bilderburg, and find even a little doubt then tend to support such theories.