I proudly introduce my daughter. :)

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I proudly introduce my daughter. :)

Hi,

Today, I explained my 7-year-old daughter the concept of IPU (invisible pink unicorn).   After that, she says approximately the following:

"I do not believe in invisible pink unicorn ... and I even don' t believe in god... but my teacher says that she believes in god..." 

In fact, we have never told our daughter much about gods.  So I am proud of her atheistic views even against her constitution violating teacher. 

In this regard, I wonder, would it be possible and/or reasonable to have a forum section for atheistic kids (and the kids of theists too) ?    For us it might be nearly impossible to "convert" people into reasonable thinking.  But what if we put two kids - a theist-risen and an atheist-risen in one forum??? They may have a better chance to figure it out.

... just a thought.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
 http://teens.rationalrespon

http://teens.rationalresponders.com/

We already have a teen forum. It's essentially deserted though...

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

http://teens.rationalresponders.com/

We already have a teen forum. It's essentially deserted though...

Thank you.  It is deserted, indeed.  Sad

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congratulations on raising

a human child, 100 per cent. Funny, my 20 or so nieces and nephews (all with christian parents) utterly believe in god. I'd be rapt to have freethinking kids. Good on you. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Anyone want to be a mod

Anyone want to be a mod that site to help remove spam from the forum?  Maybe you could also encourage it's usage.  I hate to see it go to waste, but I've considered ditching that part of the site for a while.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Sounds you she is already

Congrats, sounds like she is already smarter than 80% of the population. Sometimes kids just have more common sense. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I haven't really checked on

I haven't really checked on the teen website. I do have a 17 year old who from what I can tell is also athiest. She really hasn't just come out and said so. there is a site called evolvefish.com that has books for children as well as bumper stickers,coffee cups,etc.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson wrote:I

rebecca.williamson wrote:

I haven't really checked on the teen website. I do have a 17 year old who from what I can tell is also athiest. She really hasn't just come out and said so. there is a site called evolvefish.com that has books for children as well as bumper stickers,coffee cups,etc.

Thank you.  I've found a good book on that website.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Anyone want

Sapient wrote:

Anyone want to be a mod that site to help remove spam from the forum?  Maybe you could also encourage it's usage.  I hate to see it go to waste, but I've considered ditching that part of the site for a while.

I'm not sure if I qualify.  Let me see if I can find any good forum for kids discussing atheism/beliefs/IPU etc.

Actually, I remember NASA (or NSF ?) had the "ask a scientist" board.  Theoretically, people on this forum could cover a broader spectrum of questions than NASA/NSF.  Many kids are curious in first place not about "f^&*g rainbows"(TM Smiling ), but about "what will happen if I die".  The tragedy of this question is that being asked at age of 6 to 8, it is most often answered by a Christian (in the U.S.) who says something like this "you will live forever and ever, but after your physical death you will go either to haven or to hell depending on how strongly you believe in our God Jesus Christ."  Of course, facing this intimidating choice, I would become a "true believer".  Churches are reaching for kids by all means.  I see that for sanity of our society it is very important that kids are reached first by people of reason, like atheists.  I just don't know how to do it.