Why would God make us?

Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why would God make us?

This was one of the questions that had led me to atheism, though it was one of many. If God is an all powerful perfect being then such a being would have a need for nothing. The question I had simply was why create humanity? Why produce us when we are apparently far inferior to God in mental ability, morals, etc. (see the book of Job). If for some reason God desired companionship why not produce beings that were more in line with its own capacity, as smart and clever as it since in most cases the idea of companionship would seem to imply wanting a kind of relationship. For that matter, why would such a being want or require worship from us? I mean have no desire to be worshipped by other human beings but if we go to the exact comparison, I have no desire or even interest in being worshipped by ants. I'd be interested in any commentary on this.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I guess.  I

mellestad wrote:
I guess.  I think you get more done by writing like Bob Spence though.

Seen him get a little testy too. But hey, once you've shown someone's being intentionally dishonest, why mince words ?

mellestad wrote:
But it does depend on whom you're speaking with.  For example, I'm having fun talking to Crossover in a polite way.  I'm polite to Timothy because he's so pathetic it makes me feel like a bully to insult him.

I'm not sure Tim's here to debate or listen or even think. Seems more like one of those believers looking for the cheap thrill of venturing into the lion's den. "My faith wil protect me !" , that kind of thing. Insulting him would just make him feel gloriously persecuted rather than bulied. Would enjoy being proven wrong, though.

mellestad wrote:
I just call Paisley names though, although I didn't for the first hundred posts Smiling

Took you a hundred posts ? Here, have a medal.

I often feel sorry for people who've only just met him, bravely making their way through that thick smoke-screen of condescension....only to find there's nothing there.

Still, that's something worth knowing.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I enjoy it when Bob

draws himself up to his full height and apologies in advance before telling some one to fuck off. It takes a long time for him to get there. I usually start cranky and soften. The more I talk to some one the more polite I get.

Like Melles I am a chronic self-editor. The godly are annoying. How do they fail to see their doctrine is the most dire insult a person could make against another? It's all about them and their fairy godfather.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know I would have created

I know I would have created a huge freakin universe and planted some primitive folks on one little world so they could worship me while I plagued them with natural disasters and disease on a regular basis while expecting them to understand a cryptic nonsensical biography of myself and my petty primitive wants hates and dislikes.

Sounds pretty fukin stupid really.

"(Malachi 3:6 emphasize unchanging). "

This is obviously false by the way. Something changed because he developed this idea and made a decision of some sort, there must have been some circumstance even if it was as simple as mr all powerful growing bored. But unchanging and all powerful would sound very good to a man 2000 years ago and apparently to someone who would try to rationalize it in this day and age.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

draws himself up to his full height and apologies in advance before telling some one to fuck off. It takes a long time for him to get there. I usually start cranky and soften. The more I talk to some one the more polite I get.

Like Melles I am a chronic self-editor. The godly are annoying. How do they fail to see their doctrine is the most dire insult a person could make against another? It's all about them and their fairy godfather.

well, you were very civil with me, I didn't even notice that you were cranky to start with. In fact everyone has been polite including Bob - not what I expected. Even 'Oneman' only let fly with a "scum".........but I shall annoy him by forgiving him!

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol

freeminer wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

well, you were very civil with me, I didn't even notice that you were cranky to start with. In fact everyone has been polite including Bob - not what I expected. Even 'Oneman' only let fly with a "scum".........but I shall annoy him by forgiving him!

I was cranky six months ago. Being around other humans is having a settling effect. Yeah freeminer. It would be no fun if we didn't have people around to arm wrestle this stuff with. I sometimes wonder what an RRS BBQ would be like. Fonzie would probably turn up on triumph wearing full leather.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

freeminer wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

I was cranky six months ago. Being around other humans is having a settling effect. Yeah freeminer. It would be no fun if we didn't have people around to arm wrestle this stuff with. I sometimes wonder what an RRS BBQ would be like. Fonzie would probably turn up on triumph wearing full leather.

An RRS BBQ would be great, but someone would have to cook a lot of kittens and/or babies.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.