What does being a Christian means? You can be assured of your salvation.

thayward65
Theist
thayward65's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2010-08-04
User is offlineOffline
What does being a Christian means? You can be assured of your salvation.

God assures you that Jesus Christ has come into your life.

John 14:20 (New International Version)

20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

 

God assures you that your sins have been forgiven

Colossians 2:13; Colossians 2:14 (New International Version)

 13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature,[a] God made you[b] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

 

 

When we mess up, go to God and ask him to forgive you.

1 John 1:9 (New International Version)

9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

 

God assures you that you have eternal life.

1 John 5:13 (New International Version) 

 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

 


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
KJV 1611

 

                            God assures you that J.C. has come into your life !!! 

                      

 

                              Matthew 10; 20-22      20]  For it is not ye that speaks, but the spirit of your father which speakith in you.                   21]   And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father also the child; and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.   22]   And ye shall be hated of all men for my names' sake;                                                                                                                                                                                             That is your jesus charactor instructing his 12 apostles on how to get converts.  What does J.C. say about himself?                              Matthew 10: 34-38       34]  Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I come not to send peace but a sword.   35]   For I am come to set a man at varience against his father, and the daughter against her mother and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.   36] A mans foes shall be of his own household.   37]   He that loveth mother and father more then me is not worthy of me,  and he that loveth daughter and son more then me, is not worthy of me.                                                                                                                                            That jesus charactor is one egotistical SOB.  And it is not welcome in my house.                 

 

             

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3715
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote:God assures

thayward65 wrote:

God assures you that Jesus Christ has come into your life.

John 14:20 (New International Version)

20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

 

So heaven is a big gay orgy?

thayward65 wrote:

God assures you that your sins have been forgiven

Colossians 2:13; Colossians 2:14 (New International Version)

 13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature,[a] God made you[b] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

 

 

So it's a gay orgy with lots of S&M?

 

thayward65 wrote:

 

When we mess up, go to God and ask him to forgive you.

1 John 1:9 (New International Version)

9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

 

 

OK next time I see him, I'll ask.

thayward65 wrote:

God assures you that you have eternal life.

1 John 5:13 (New International Version) 

 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

 

Can I have this eternal life without all the annoying Christians around? If so, I'll force myself to 'believe'.

 

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


thayward65
Theist
thayward65's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2010-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Mathew 10 34-39 a breakdown

Christian commitment may separate friends and loved ones. In saying this, Jesus was not encouraging disobedience to parents or conflict at home. Rather, he was showing that his presence demands a decision. Because some will follow Christ and some won't, conflict will inevitably arise. As we take our cross and follow him, our different values, morals, goals, and purposes will set us apart from others. Christ calls us to a higher mission than to find comfort and tranquility in this life. Love of family is a law of God, but even this love can be self-serving and use as an excuse not to serve God or do his work. Don't neglect your family, When you are a Christian your commitment to God is even more important. When you are a Christian God should be your first priority.  When I stated take our cross and follow Jesus it means to be willing to publicly identify with Jesus, to experience almost certain opposition, and to be committed to face even suffering and death for Jesus sake. As a Christian I am in this world not of this world. There are people everywhere that don't believe I was at one time one of them. I am proud to be a Christian and I struggle too to make God #1 in my life. Most of the time God is #1. My faith is with God he has rescued me. If you let him inside of you. He too will rescue you. Just open your heart to him.  When you need God he will be there for you. Just believe and have faith. I will keep on praying for you and God bless you and take care.


thayward65
Theist
thayward65's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2010-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Wisdom Proverbs 1-31 Read one each night

I am glad you have a bible. Do you really understand KJV I sure couldn't to be honest with you. Thou, thee and so forth confusing. If you really understand it awesome. God has blessed you. Read a Proverb each day starting with "today's date" It will help you to be a better leader, father, husband, and son. If you apply it. When ever you are ready to let Jesus in your life he is there. I thank God each day that he saved me. He also saved my marriage too. God didn't save me at church he saved me on the Freeway. That is when he came into my life. I am a sinner I will be until I die on this earth. My soul will be in Haven I hope you will get there too. I will pray for you. Each day. My prayer is this: Father God may you watch over Jefferick and his family that you pour out your love upon him. Give him wisdom, truth, faith, and hope, may his days be fruitful and may you give him a sign when he is in despair that he recognizes you that you are the only creator and being in control. That he will come to you for guidance. In your loving name Jesus I pray. AMEN God bless you Jefferick and take care.  


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3715
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote: It will

thayward65 wrote:

 It will help you to be a better leader, father, husband, and son.

Where is the evidence of this? All the studies I've seen show people are happier, healthier in non-religious societies.

Why isn't this "bearing false witness" a sin?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


thayward65
Theist
thayward65's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2010-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Where is it written

Wisdom for young people Proverbs 1:1-9:18

Wisdom for all people Proverbs 10:1-24:34

Wisdom for the Leaders Proverbs 25:1-31:31

I do suggest getting a study bible it has more information than just a regular bible. It does help to clarify issues. My Bible is Life Application Study Bible New International Version Zondervan ISBN 978-0-310-94119-4

 I have many friends that are Atheists and that are Christians too. My old church has a Pastor that was an Atheist until God had changed him. Christians can't change a persons beliefs. Only God and that person could change. I hate religion. We have Catholics, Mormons, Buddhists, etc? I call everyone of these religions dictatorship. I won't be apart of them. Jesus was not apart of any religion. He was sitting down with prostitutes, gamblers, tax collectors, women, healing people on a Sabbath day. I pray for the churches and the people in them. That the church leaders is actually teaching God's words not their own words.  Loving God and loving people that is what God want us to do. Before I was saved by God's grace I sort of liked God, most of the the time I did love God. When things looking good I love him, when things aren't so good I liked him,  When I was angry with God I even hated him. Since I have been reading the bible and opening more up to him. Talking to him daily.  I had since repented and there is no hate in my heart for him nor anyone else. It took me a long time for forgiving a person. In churches you have to be a certain way, act a certain way. You need to quit doing the things you do or you go to Hell. How can another person that is a sinner say if you do this or that you are going to Hell? To me there was always one God and one Church. Believe me as you know Christians can be overbearing, judgmental, and wholly than thou crappola people. They can't do anything wrong kind of people. That is B S. I was told I will go to Hell if I continue smoking, gambling, and drinking by other so called Christians. I hated going to church just because of all the phony people. I used to smoke and I still drink occasionally and once in awhile I do gamble. I am a sinner and God knows this about me. He created me and you too believe or not. God is good and yes all the time. You want the truth in your life. Don't go by what people say. Find out for yourself. You just have to have an open mind and pray. Most of all its faith too. God works from the inside out. When you get to know him better you will see marvelous things in all people and you will be different. You won't be focusing on the negative. I have only been a Christian for 3 years and I am no way perfect nor will I ever be.  I know that Jesus had been tortured and died on the cross and rose from the dead to save us from all our sins. He is still alive.  We must have faith in him even if it is a size of a mustard seed. That is enough to send you to Heaven when you die.  I know I will be learning and spreading the good news about Jesus for the rest of my life.. I will also apply his teaching into my life too. God has a plan for you and I it was made up way before we were even conceived. I am only a messenger. I am not a judge or be judgmental. If I can help you get closer to understanding Jesus I will do my best and the rest is all pure God. Take care and God bless you.  


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5130
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Thayward could you please cut up your posts

 

into paragraphs so we can receive your message with less eyestrain?

Thanks and pleased to meet you.

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


thayward65
Theist
thayward65's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2010-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Sorry Next time I will

Nice to meet you too. Is there away I can go back and edit it or is it to late.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Since when do tax

 

Since when do tax collectors get thrown in with prostitutes and gamblers? I wasn't aware tax collecting was a sin. Guess I'm a bigger sinner then I thought. 

 

thayward65 wrote:

We must have faith in him even if it is a size of a mustard seed. That is enough to send you to Heaven when you die.  

This is one of my biggest problems with Christianity. So I can take my smoking, drinking (was drinking really considered a sin by Jesus? If so why the water into wine trick?), gambling, tax collecting, prostitute and women loving self and by having faith in Jesus I get a ticket to Heaven. I could murder in cold blood and later repent and have a chance. On the other hand, my grandmother who is probably the nicest, sweetest, most loving and least sinning person in the world will get a one way ticket to hell because she doesn't believe in Jesus. What kind of god is so vain that he would forgive anything except for not believing in him? 

If I find out I am wrong when I die and end up outside the gates and find out my grandmother went to hell I'll volunteer to go burn with her even if they did offer me a spot in heaven just out of protest. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
Posts: 200
Joined: 2008-07-19
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote: We must

thayward65 wrote:
We must have faith in him even if it is a size of a mustard seed. That is enough to send you to Heaven when you die.  

 The Bible also says that faith the size of a mustard seed is enough to make mountains move by talking to them, yet no Christians seem to be able to do that. Achieving such a large amount of faith must be very difficult.

 

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.


thayward65
Theist
thayward65's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2010-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Moving mountains

Matthew 17:20
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Matthew 17:19-21 (in Context) Matthew 17 (Whole Chapter)

It is the power of God, not our faith, that moves mountains, but faith must be present to do so. Even small or undeveloped faith would have been sufficient.There is great potential in even a little faith God is with us. If we feel weak or powerless as Christians, we should examine our faith, making sure we are trusting not in our own abilities to produce results, but in God's. 

Jesus was trying to show how important faith would be in their future ministry. If you are facing a problem that seems ass big and immovable as a mountain, turn your eyes from the mountain and look to Christ for more faith. Only then your work for him becomes useful and vibrant. 

 

I had walls I had put up in my life I couldn't tear them down on my own. I didn't let people in or get close a matter of fact I was pushing away my wife and child. Because I couldn't move the walls. When I turned to God. I have prayed for these walls to come down. It took time, but they did come down. Thanks to Jesus my God and my father.


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote:Matthew

thayward65 wrote:

Matthew 17:20
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Matthew 17:19-21 (in Context) Matthew 17 (Whole Chapter)

It is the power of God, not our faith, that moves mountains, but faith must be present to do so. Even small or undeveloped faith would have been sufficient.There is great potential in even a little faith God is with us. If we feel weak or powerless as Christians, we should examine our faith, making sure we are trusting not in our own abilities to produce results, but in God's. 

Jesus was trying to show how important faith would be in their future ministry. If you are facing a problem that seems ass big and immovable as a mountain, turn your eyes from the mountain and look to Christ for more faith. Only then your work for him becomes useful and vibrant. 

 

I had walls I had put up in my life I couldn't tear them down on my own. I didn't let people in or get close a matter of fact I was pushing away my wife and child. Because I couldn't move the walls. When I turned to God. I have prayed for these walls to come down. It took time, but they did come down. Thanks to Jesus my God and my father.

Thayward,

I wish you guys would stop referring to Jesus as your God. As Jesus was an observant Jew, such a title would offend him.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


thayward65
Theist
thayward65's picture
Posts: 9
Joined: 2010-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Funny thing and yes you can

Drinking is not a sin but over indulges is. I am saying these are the kind of people that Jesus hang out with because he was trying to save them from Hell when they die. Do Doctors go and visit people that are in Good Health and with no illness or symptoms? When you do not have a problem with your teeth, do you go to the Dentist because you like the people or magazines there? Believe it or not. God would like you to be in his kingdom.   

 

There is no sin that can not be forgiven. If you repent and it is from your heart and spirit and you mean it from the bottom of your soul. You are forgiven. Jesus had died and rose again for our sins. Our sins lay on his cross. We have to have a personal relationship with God. Let him in our lives. Your sin are forgiven. You are forgiven through God.

 

Luke 23:39-43 (New International Version)

 

 39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

 40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

 42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[a]"

 43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

 

As this man was about to die, he turned to Christ forgiveness, and Christ forgave him. This shows that our deeds don't save us-our faith in Christ does. It is never to let to turn to God. Even in miser, Jesus had mercy on this criminal who decided to believe in him. Our lives will be much more useful and fulfilling if we turn to God early, but even those who repent at the very last moment will be with God in Paradise. The dying criminal had more faith than the rest of Jesus' followers put together.

 

Matthew 28:18-20 (New International Version)

18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Acts 3:15-26 (New International Version)

15You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. 16By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.

 17"Now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders. 18But this is how God fulfilled what he had foretold through all the prophets, saying that his Christ[a] would suffer. 19Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, 20and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. 22For Moses said, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you. 23Anyone who does not listen to him will be completely cut off from among his people.'[b]

 24"Indeed, all the prophets from Samuel on, as many as have spoken, have foretold these days. 25And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, 'Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.'[c] 26When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

 

Footnotes:
  1. Acts 3:18 Or Messiah; also in verse 20
  2. Acts 3:23 Deut. 18:15,18,19
  3. Acts 3:25 Gen. 22:18; 26:4

 

 


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote:Drinking is

thayward65 wrote:

Drinking is not a sin but over indulges is. I am saying these are the kind of people that Jesus hang out with because he was trying to save them from Hell when they die. Do Doctors go and visit people that are in Good Health and with no illness or symptoms? When you do not have a problem with your teeth, do you go to the Dentist because you like the people or magazines there? Believe it or not. God would like you to be in his kingdom.   

 

There is no sin that can not be forgiven. If you repent and it is from your heart and spirit and you mean it from the bottom of your soul. You are forgiven. Jesus had died and rose again for our sins. Our sins lay on his cross. We have to have a personal relationship with God. Let him in our lives. Your sin are forgiven. You are forgiven through God.

 

Luke 23:39-43 (New International Version)

 

 39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

 40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

 42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[a]"

 43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

 

As this man was about to die, he turned to Christ forgiveness, and Christ forgave him. This shows that our deeds don't save us-our faith in Christ does. It is never to let to turn to God. Even in miser, Jesus had mercy on this criminal who decided to believe in him. Our lives will be much more useful and fulfilling if we turn to God early, but even those who repent at the very last moment will be with God in Paradise. The dying criminal had more faith than the rest of Jesus' followers put together.

 

Matthew 28:18-20 (New International Version)

18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Acts 3:15-26 (New International Version)

15You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. 16By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.

 17"Now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders. 18But this is how God fulfilled what he had foretold through all the prophets, saying that his Christ[a] would suffer. 19Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, 20and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. 22For Moses said, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you. 23Anyone who does not listen to him will be completely cut off from among his people.'[b]

 24"Indeed, all the prophets from Samuel on, as many as have spoken, have foretold these days. 25And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, 'Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.'[c] 26When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

 

Footnotes:
  1. Acts 3:18 Or Messiah; also in verse 20
  2. Acts 3:23 Deut. 18:15,18,19
  3. Acts 3:25 Gen. 22:18; 26:4

 

 

Then again, the thief did nothing to Jesus so the forgiveness was next to useless...oh yeah, you think of Jesus as the superman Paul built...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Please read carefully................

thayward65 wrote:

Matthew 17:20
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Matthew 17:19-21 (in Context) Matthew 17 (Whole Chapter)

It is the power of God, not our faith, that moves mountains, but faith must be present to do so. Even small or undeveloped faith would have been sufficient.There is great potential in even a little faith God is with us. If we feel weak or powerless as Christians, we should examine our faith, making sure we are trusting not in our own abilities to produce results, but in God's. 

Jesus was trying to show how important faith would be in their future ministry. If you are facing a problem that seems ass big and immovable as a mountain, turn your eyes from the mountain and look to Christ for more faith. Only then your work for him becomes useful and vibrant. 

 

I had walls I had put up in my life I couldn't tear them down on my own. I didn't let people in or get close a matter of fact I was pushing away my wife and child. Because I couldn't move the walls. When I turned to God. I have prayed for these walls to come down. It took time, but they did come down. Thanks to Jesus my God and my father.

                           Matthew 17: 20, then read it again slowly.   Then tell us all  "WHY" the mountain does "NOT" move;  yet in the Koran we can hear about "Mohammed moving to the mountain"  Nay he yet because the moutain does not  move to man.   Thou art full of fairy tales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    and your mother dresses you funny.

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Thayward you missed the


 

Thayward you missed the meat of my question. What about my poor grandmother? Is she going to hell because she doesn't have faith? And if god is going to send her to hell why would I want to spend eternity with him?

And I am still really interested about the tax collector being included in with the other sinners because I have never heard that before and am enthralled with the idea that I get paid to sin. But if your only going to answer one answer the first one it is much more serious.

 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2517
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote:God assures

thayward65 wrote:

God assures you that Jesus Christ has come into your life.

John 14:20 (New International Version)

20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

 

God assures you that your sins have been forgiven

Colossians 2:13; Colossians 2:14 (New International Version)

 13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature,[a] God made you[b] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

 

 

When we mess up, go to God and ask him to forgive you.

1 John 1:9 (New International Version)

9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

 

God assures you that you have eternal life.

1 John 5:13 (New International Version) 

 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

 

Each one of these quotes is from an unnamed writer. Each quote is but an unsupported opinion from these writers.

John is supposedly written by the disciple John yet the probable date of it's writing is sometime around 95 CE. If the writer was John he would be a very old man. John is written utilizing Greek philosophy though the alleged disciple was a Galilean fisherman. John has many differences compared to the other 3 stories.

Most scholars consider Colossians to have been written by an unknown writer who was a close follower  of Paul around 62 CE though it is attributed to Paul. Either way, it's only an opinion based on the morphing of Jewish beliefs into the mystical development of Paul the deceiver's new beliefs.

1 John dates to about 90-95 CE. There is controversy as to which John wrote this epistle as well. Was it a very old disciple or was it one called John the elder. Either way, the claim of being saved in chapter 5 is unsupported and not based in Jewish beliefs. The arguments presented do not follow from the premise given to the Jews of a messiah or a mashiach in Hebrew scripture. New concepts are given as to what this man was, in fact instead of being a man he is said to be born of God. Though the claim of being a son of God was one any Jew could make as they were all so but descendance from Adam, Again, the statements are nothing more than opinions and unsupported claims.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Thayward

Beyond Saving wrote:

Thayward you missed the meat of my question. What about my poor grandmother? Is she going to hell because she doesn't have faith? And if god is going to send her to hell why would I want to spend eternity with him?

And I am still really interested about the tax collector being included in with the other sinners because I have never heard that before and am enthralled with the idea that I get paid to sin. But if your only going to answer one answer the first one it is much more serious.

 

You're a tax collector!!??!!??  Oh, my ------ HONEY!  Hide the laundered money!

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:You're a tax

cj wrote:

You're a tax collector!!??!!??  Oh, my ------ HONEY!  Hide the laundered money!

 

Lol, yep I'm the evil tax man. But I work in property taxes not income so I don't care about the laundered money unless you use it to build a pole barn without a permit  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:cj

Beyond Saving wrote:

cj wrote:

You're a tax collector!!??!!??  Oh, my ------ HONEY!  Hide the laundered money!

 

Lol, yep I'm the evil tax man. But I work in property taxes not income so I don't care about the laundered money unless you use it to build a pole barn without a permit  

 

ack!  Hide the new kitchen! 

Yeah, I know about the pole barn.  Friends of mine built one - with permits - fine - but they didn't pay for the plumbing permit.  So when the electrical inspector was due to come out, they ran around hiding all the stand pipes already installed with bales of hay.  Things you really don't want to know about your friends.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2010-03-01
User is offlineOffline
umm... Thayward65? One question...

Hey Thayward65, I have but one question for you: what evidence do you have that any of this "Holy Babble" nonsense is correct? You seem to like quoting from it, but a Muslim could "prove" Islam in the same way you are "proving" Christianity, by just reading out of the book. How do you know they are not the ones with the "right" god and you are one of the deceived? Do you have any evidence or are you just quoting scripture? Just quoting scripture? Yeah, I thought so...

Oh, and talking about faith (belief without evidence) like it's a good thing is curious. Jim Jones and his followers also had faith, and it led them on a one way trip to oblivion, so you might want to rethink that strategy.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!


Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
Billy Bob Jenkins's picture
Posts: 184
Joined: 2010-07-14
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote: I am a

thayward65 wrote:

 I am a sinner I will be until I die on this earth.

  So you are saying you don't abide in Jesus -you don't even know Him?

1st John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known Him.

Do you realize this means you are damned to Hell? Do you know what they do to pretty boys in Hell?

The Truest Christian these atheists will ever meet. I worship the only Lord at the Church with the Truest Christians: Landover Baptist.


Flier
Posts: 11
Joined: 2010-07-31
User is offlineOffline
 Thayward, from reading

 Thayward, from reading your posts you strike me as a well articulated intelligent and extremely patient person.  Obviously you care a great deal about the people in here and feel compelled to help them.

 

Before we launch into my salvation however, I have one question...  You say that you were once not Christian but were in a near accident on the Freeway where God saved you.  Can you please give details on what happened and why it was God (not chance) that saved you.  I'm interested to know why you believe its God.  I guess to a certain extent I'm interested to know why you believe God exists at all.

 

I'm puzzled to why someone as articulate as yourself has decided to believe in a book written hundreds of years ago while the Earth was "flat" that claims the only thing less probable than a complex universe forming out of nothing is an even more complex creator capable of creating this universe out of nothing.

 

I appreciate you taking the time to answer this.  I am genuinely interested.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote:Christian

thayward65 wrote:

Christian commitment may separate friends and loved ones. In saying this, Jesus was not encouraging disobedience to parents or conflict at home. Rather, he was showing that his presence demands a decision. Because some will follow Christ and some won't, conflict will inevitably arise. As we take our cross and follow him, our different values, morals, goals, and purposes will set us apart from others. Christ calls us to a higher mission than to find comfort and tranquility in this life. Love of family is a law of God, but even this love can be self-serving and use as an excuse not to serve God or do his work. Don't neglect your family, When you are a Christian your commitment to God is even more important. When you are a Christian God should be your first priority.  When I stated take our cross and follow Jesus it means to be willing to publicly identify with Jesus, to experience almost certain opposition, and to be committed to face even suffering and death for Jesus sake. As a Christian I am in this world not of this world. There are people everywhere that don't believe I was at one time one of them. I am proud to be a Christian and I struggle too to make God #1 in my life. Most of the time God is #1. My faith is with God he has rescued me. If you let him inside of you. He too will rescue you. Just open your heart to him.  When you need God he will be there for you. Just believe and have faith. I will keep on praying for you and God bless you and take care.

 

 Ok, this got some random thoughts going and I have a few questions as well. The statement " christian commitment may seperate friends and loved ones" really bothers me. Do you realize that ultimatums are a common issue in marriages as well as raising children? It's like when an abusive or controlling husband doesn't like his wifes mother and he tells her that she isn't welcome in his home. Does this mean she is suppose to cut all ties with her mother? Now keep in mind that the bible does state that women are to obey their husbands but one of the ten commandments are honer thy father and mother. If it isn't worded exactly like that sorry but you get my drift.

 

 Next, in raising children,you have to lay out the rules in black and white. There can not be any gray areas. Otherwise you end up with a child that doesn't understand you and the rules you put in place. You also have to be a role model for them. If you want to raise them to be a decent person then you have to be a decent person so that they see that and take note. This is where my problems with the bible come in. There are so many gray areas and I'm sorry but this god is not a very good role model. In gray areas I mean he tells us to honer thy mother and father but honor him more. Killing is definately consider a sin but it was ok if he did it and told people to do it. Rape, which was a huge issue for me, he orders men to rape women in the bible just so they can have a wife to impregnate to carry on their name. It's only ok if god tells you to do it? If it is wrong otherwise then what kind of role model is he to tell someone to do something so horrible but make it a sin otherwise? These things really make no sense to me at all yet we are suppose to just follow but then I guess according to god it's ok to give children grey ares and expect them to jump through hoops but bust their asses if they don't read our minds. In this case, all child protection services should be shut down,right?

 

 What I'm getting at is this. I find no peace and tranquillity in gods word. I find it utterly confusing no matter what religion it is explained from. The love thy neighbor one always gets to me because what neighbor are thy suppose to love? Only the men? Women in the bible, to me, are seriosly view as meaningless creatures. more so than even animals. Children too. I find it very heartbreaking that we are suppose to worship a lord that unless he is the #1 thought in our heads and heart every day, he is not happy at all and wishes death and evil on us. Even threatens to make that happen. It's rediculous to me so please, if you can find a convincing way without quoting scripture to me, please explain this. Also, come with fact, not your opinion. I'm so sick of being told I should believe because it's the word of god and it's in the bible. I can tell you this. Unless you find god on youtube giving a speech to everyone that doesn't believe or understand, clarifying what he was trying to say,no one is buying it. You'd think that the ones that god would be talking to are the athiest, not christians if he wanted to get his point across.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Billy Bob Jenkins

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

thayward65 wrote:

 I am a sinner I will be until I die on this earth.

  So you are saying you don't abide in Jesus -you don't even know Him?

1st John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known Him.

Do you realize this means you are damned to Hell? Do you know what they do to pretty boys in Hell?

Pineapple anyone!!!

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
 Ok I did not write

 Ok I did not write pinapple anyone. My husband did that while I was logged on.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15536
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:. He too will rescue

Quote:
. He too will rescue you. Just open your heart to him.  When you need God he will be there for you. Just believe and have faith. I will keep on praying for you and God bless you and take care.

Naked assertion based on an old book written by people who had no clue of what reality was.

And as far as praying for me, I will tell you what I tell others. The first time you say it, I'll give you a pass. But after that don't keep repeating it. For two reasons.

1. I don't pray. To me that would be like inviting a Jew or Muslim over for dinner and offering them pork. Then inviting them the next day and do the same thing after they told you they don't eat pork.

2. I don't think it is a stretch, considering I used to believe myself, that believers would and do say(and I used to believe in prayer too) that prayer works, even if the person/people, they are praying for do not hear that prayer. So telling me you are going to pray for me is superfluous, especially after the first time you tell me. Not that you would have to tell me at all for the prayer to work.

I can't stop you from doing what you want to do, but I don't need to hear about it every time you do it.

When you post on this board please don't tell us you are going to pray for us. We already know that people already do that. This is a board for atheists. Believers are welcome here, but it is not a passive place for you to proclaim how much you care about us. If you post here, it will be debate, otherwise don't post.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
Posts: 278
Joined: 2007-10-29
User is offlineOffline
thayward65 wrote:Blah,

thayward65 wrote:

Blah, fucking blah, blah...


Are there are mods minding the store? Why has this Theist pos being allowed to post his shit here? There are better places to post this bull shit than here. If you are going to have a rule like no theists will be allowed to post in here and any found will be deleted then you should follow it. The other alternative is to delete the rule...

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
Back when I played Mod I was

Back when I played Mod I was rather rabid about shooing out the theists from this section.  Most other people don't seem to mind though.

Irks me but I've got an anal personality type about following rules of that nature.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
Posts: 278
Joined: 2007-10-29
User is offlineOffline
If

If no one is going to ensure that posts are in the places designated it would be easier to get rid of all the extra designations and have just a couple areas...

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Subdi Visions wrote:If no

Subdi Visions wrote:

If no one is going to ensure that posts are in the places designated it would be easier to get rid of all the extra designations and have just a couple areas...

Keep it as an example that theist are unable to follow rules (including their god's)

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin