The Dark Side of The Big Bang

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Dark Side of The Big Bang

A shape-shifting fifth fundamental force could neatly explain the mystery of dark energy – and some other puzzling astronomical observations

ASK A cosmologist for a potted history of the universe, and it might go something like this: the cosmos began some 13.6 billion years ago with a big bang, exploding from a pinprick of searing heat and incredible density. Since then, it has been cooling and expanding: at first exponentially fast, but soon at a more measured, steady tempo.

At that point our friendly cosmologist might give voice to a little embarrassment. Because if measurements of the distance to faraway supernovae are to be believed, around 5 billion years ago the universe's expansion started to accelerate again. We don't know why. A mysterious "dark energy" permeating space is generally fingered as the culprit. But while this entity apparently flings galaxies apart with gusto, it has never been seen or produced in the lab and seemingly does not interact directly with light or matter on Earth or elsewhere. Such undetectability runs counter to the stuff of science.

Dark energy flings galaxies apart with gusto, but it has never been seen or produced on Earth

Or are we just overlooking evidence that is already there? Some inconsistencies in recent astrophysical observations, easy to dismiss as blips if taken on their own, might invite a startling conclusion when looked at together: that the cosmos is suffused by a fifth force in addition to the canonical four of gravity, electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. What is unusual about this force is that its range changes according to its environment - a cosmic chameleon that might just explain the mysteries of dark energy.

The basic idea for this fifth force was hatched in 2004 by Justin Khoury and Amanda Weltman, then members of a team led by well-known string theorist Brian Greene at Columbia University in New York City. String theory is the favoured route to unifying gravity, the odd one out among the four forces, with the other three under the umbrella of quantum mechanics. It is a great playground for devising new fields and forces. The theory is formulated in 11 dimensions, seven of which are assumed to be curled up so small that we cannot see them. Disturbances in those curled-up dimensions might make themselves felt as "extra" forces in the four dimensions of space and time we do see.

For this picture to make sense, the effects in the visible dimensions must match our observations of the universe. Khoury and Weltman proposed one way of doing this: an extra force could be transmitted by particles whose mass depends on the density of the matter around them. That way, its effects could remained veiled on Earth.

How would that work? Well, in quantum mechanics, the range of influence of a force depends largely on the mass of the particles produced by the associated force field: the lighter the particle, the longer the force's range. Electromagnetic fields, for example, produce photons that have no mass whatsoever, so the range of the electromagnetic force is infinite. The particles that transmit the weak nuclear force, on the other hand, are extremely heavy and do not travel very far, confining the force to the tiny scales of the atomic nucleus. With the strong nuclear force, things are slightly more complex: the associated particles, called gluons, are massless but also have the ability to interact with themselves, preventing the force from operating over large distances.

Khoury and Weltman started from the observation that the average density of matter in Earth's vicinity is very high in cosmic terms, at about 0.5 grams per cubic centimetre. Under these circumstances, they proposed, the particle that transmits the chameleon force would be about a billion times lighter than the electron. The force itself would then have a range of not more than a millimetre - small enough for its effects to have remained undetected in the lab so far.

In the wide open spaces of the cosmos, however, where a cubic centimetre contains just 10-29 grams of matter on average, the mass of the chameleon particle plummets by something like 22 orders of magnitude, producing a muscular force that could act over millions of light years. The lost mass is picked up as energy by the chameleon field.

Although the initial motivation was not to find a mechanism to explain dark energy, the idea that the chameleon might do so was always on their minds, says Weltman. With a few tweaks, it did. It could be made to create a kind of negative pressure that, on cosmic scales, would produce a repulsive effect in opposition to gravity. And with its dependence on density, the chameleon force could be made to appear 5 billion years ago, when the density of the expanding cosmos fell below a critical value. The force would propel galaxies away from one another at an ever-increasing rate, producing the kind of accelerated expansion we observe in the wider cosmos, all the while remaining hidden on Earth.

Seesawing strength

It all sounds very pretty, but where's the beef? Without evidence, the chameleon is just another theory to explain dark energy (see "Different routes to the dark side&quotEye-wink. "The truth is, we know very little about the underlying physics of the dark sector," says Khoury. "My view is we'll let observations and experiments decide."

That is just where the chameleon force could outsmart its rivals. According to Khoury and Weltman's theory, the chameleon particle interacts with light and matter in specific ways, so unlike its reptilian namesake it should be eminently easy to spot. For a start, a photon in a strong enough magnetic field could occasionally decay into a chameleon particle, which could in turn change back into a photon. This seesawing between particles should modify the strength of the electromagnetic force, defined by a quantity known as the fine structure constant, or alpha.

Most astrophysical measurements of our cosmic neighbourhood suggest no such variation in alpha. Recently, Sergei Levshakov at the Ioffe Physical Technical Institute in St Petersburg, Russia, and colleagues showed that any change within our galaxy is less than 2 parts in 10 million. But there have been contrary indications from further afield. In 1999, an Australian team used the Keck telescopes in Hawaii to measure light emitted between 5 and 9.5 billion years ago by distant quasars. They concluded that alpha was once lower by about 11 parts per million, although that was revised to 6 parts per million in 2003 (Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol 345, p 609). In June this year, Nissim Kanekar of the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics in Pune, India, and colleagues identified discrepancies in the spectrum of light from a molecular gas cloud 2.9 billion light years away that seem to indicate a value for alpha around 3 parts per million lower (The Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol 716, p L232010).

If photons travelling towards us over great distances pass through regions of space with strong magnetic fields and low densities of matter - ideal places for them to decay into chameleon particles - that is just the effect we would expect. "If the changes are real, it seems hard to explain them without a chameleon-like particle," says Douglas Shaw, an astrophysicist at Queen Mary University of London, UK.

Alpha might not be the only chameleon-affected quantity, either. In April this year, Levshakov and colleagues determined the ratio of the mass of the electron to that of the proton within ammonia atoms in gas clouds in our galaxy. They found the electron to be relatively heavier than it is on Earth by two parts in 100 million (arxiv.org/abs/1004.0783). As the chameleon particle changes its mass according to its environment, it is plausible that it would drag on the electron by a different amount to the proton. "It's very easy to fit the data to the chameleon model," says Shaw.

That, in a sense, is the problem: because the chameleon theory was conceived to fit observations and has yet to be derived from anything more fundamental, it is very easy to adjust its parameters to fit the data available. That same flexibility makes creating specific predictions, say of the amount of variation in a fundamental quantity under a particular set of circumstances, more of a problem.

Fortunately, there are other ways in which the chameleon might be pinned down. If a photon really can metamorphose into a chameleon particle and back, that should leave a signature in the polarisation of light that has travelled through regions where the chameleon force is strong. With Shaw, Clare Burrage of the German Electron Synchrotron DESY in Hamburg, Germany, caught a glimpse of something like that in 2009. They showed that some of the light reaching us from stars in other parts of our galaxy is polarised not only by the 2 per cent that can be explained by interstellar dust but also by an additional, if small, amount (Physical Review D, vol 79, p 044028). "We found a tentative indication of the chameleon," says Burrage.

Shaw cautions against reading too much into this: although the result was statistically significant, they studied only three stars. They are repeating the analysis for many more, including some "control" stars that are within 200,000 light years or so, nearby enough that there wouldn't have been time for any switching between photons and chameleon particles on the light's journey towards us.

Burrage thinks that chameleon-photon switching might also explain a discrepancy highlighted in 2003 by Martin Kunz of the University of Geneva, Switzerland, and Bruce Bassett of the South African Astronomical Observatory and the University of Cape Town. The most widely quoted value for the age of the universe, 13.6 billion years, comes from precise measurements of the cosmic microwave background, the relic radiation of the big bang. But two other methods come up with different answers. Calibrating the distances to supernovae of a standard brightness yields a figure of 13.1 billion years. Measuring radio galaxies of a standard size, meanwhile, comes up with 14.3 billion years.

The discrepancy could just be an unlucky fluke: the two measurements have an associated uncertainty and there is roughly a 1 in 20 chance of the figures disagreeing by this amount, says Bassett. Burrage suggests an alternative: supernovae could appear brighter than expected if chameleon particles created in highly magnetic environments oscillate into photons on their way towards us. That would mean the supernovae are further away than they seem, which in turn would increase the age of universe extracted using this method. "If the effect is real, this would be one natural explanation," agrees Bassett, while adding that further data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, a comprehensive project to catalogue the heavens, might resolve the discrepancy without the chameleon.

By Khoury and Weltman's calculations, direct evidence for the chameleon could also be lurking closer to home: in variations in the gravity experienced by small test masses in areas of differing ambient densities. That idea could be easily tested in space, or even by balloon experiments around 30 kilometres above Earth's surface. The French space probe Microscope, planned for launch in 2012, will measure the acceleration of test objects in free fall. If the chameleon theory holds true, the theory predicts that the probe should see objects some distance above Earth accelerate slightly faster as they fall than we would expect from their position in the Earth's gravitational field.

Direct evidence for the chameleon could be lurking in subtle variations in gravity closer to home

Ultimately, the most persuasive evidence for the chameleon force would be to see its effects here on Earth. The chameleon was designed to explain why we haven't seen evidence for a fifth force in the lab, but it might be tested if experiments are designed with chameleon properties in mind. In a paper published this June, Shaw and colleagues suggest just such a test: measuring the force between two parallel plates as a gas is pumped in between them. Normally, this force should depend simply on the density, but an extra attractive force might be expected at low densities if the chameleon force kicks in (Physical Review Letters, vol 104, p 241101).

Another experiment that might detect the chameleon is the GammeV experiment at Fermilab in Batavia, Illinois. It involves bouncing a laser beam around a cavity with glass windows for about 5 hours, and then switching it off. If the chameleon theory holds true, some photons will oscillate into chameleon particles that will bounce off the windows rather than pass through. Some of these will oscillate back into photons and escape, creating a visible afterglow.

So far the GammeV experiment has seen nothing, while ruling out several possible masses for chameleon particles. The same is true of the Axion Dark Matter Experiment at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, which was built to detect dark matter by looking for surges in microwaves bouncing around in a cavity. But the fact that the theory is being actively tested by experiments shows how seriously it is being taken, says Khoury. "It's flattering," he says.

Shaw says that with lab and space-based tests likely to improve, the chameleon theory stands to be confirmed - or ruled out - within the next 10 years. In contrast, there is little hope of submitting the other potential answers to the dark energy puzzle to a direct experimental test any time soon. Weltman says that she sees hints rather than hard evidence for chameleons so far, but thinks the theory is well worth pursuing. "I love that it is so testable," she says. "It appeals to all of my sense of how science should be."

Different routes to the dark side

The chameleon is by no means the first attempt to explain dark energy.

The COSMOLOGICAL CONSTANT is the standard explanation. This additional term in the equations of general relativity, a repulsive force to counter gravity's attraction, was introduced by Einstein to ensure the evolving universe neither expanded nor contracted. He is said to have later called this fudge "the greatest blunder of my life". Since 1999, when observations of the dimming of distant supernova suggested that the cosmic expansion has been accelerating, the idea has been back in vogue.

An alternative explanation is provided by QUINTESSENCE, a field that permeates the universe. Five billion years ago, the pressure associated with the field turned negative, causing cosmic expansion to speed up. The chameleon force is similar to quintessence, but crucially it also interacts with matter, making it potentially easier to observe.

In INHOMOGENEOUS UNIVERSE MODELS, also known as "Swiss cheese" universes, the accelerated cosmic expansion is an optical illusion caused by an uneven distribution of matter in the universe (New Scientist, 8 March 2008, p 32)

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727711.100-is-a-cosmic-chameleon-driving-galaxies-apart.html?full=true&print=true

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist, you always

Atheistextremist, you always post very interesting articles.

Although I'm known to stick my nose into everything, (specially dark matter) here I'm not really sure what's behind dark energy. As for the fifth force, my information is that there is seven known natural forces in total. Strong nuclear, gravity and weak nuclear, all remaining forces being extensions of the weak nuclear force. (which is already proven for electro-magnetism, I think)

I have one question though, something I didn't yet understand. It's about the particle model. How can exchange of particles promote any kind of attractive force? For example, if I throw a ball at you, I'm a little pushed in opposite direction and so are you, when you catch the ball. So exchanging of particles between objects should rather promote repulsive force. I know, people say that on quantum level things work differently, but the idea that objects exchange particles with negative kinetic vector is just counter-intuitive. I know that what is intuitive doesn't have to be true and vice versa. But I've heard of other, more intuitive models of the universe based on similar mechanics to pressure in depths of water. The dark matter is here taken as a medium of pressure.... Well, I'm just asking.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon

Luminon wrote:

Atheistextremist, you always post very interesting articles.

Although I'm known to stick my nose into everything, (specially dark matter) here I'm not really sure what's behind dark energy. As for the fifth force, my information is that there is seven known natural forces in total. Strong nuclear, gravity and weak nuclear, all remaining forces being extensions of the weak nuclear force. (which is already proven for electro-magnetism, I think)

I have one question though, something I didn't yet understand. It's about the particle model. How can exchange of particles promote any kind of attractive force? For example, if I throw a ball at you, I'm a little pushed in opposite direction and so are you, when you catch the ball. So exchanging of particles between objects should rather promote repulsive force. I know, people say that on quantum level things work differently, but the idea that objects exchange particles with negative kinetic vector is just counter-intuitive. I know that what is intuitive doesn't have to be true and vice versa. But I've heard of other, more intuitive models of the universe based on similar mechanics to pressure in depths of water. The dark matter is here taken as a medium of pressure.... Well, I'm just asking.

In your metaphor of the thrown ball, the ball leaves a 'wake' behind it which carries a force from the source and since he caught the ball, the post-catching force has an additional 'ultraweak inertia' that affects anything between source and target by moving it toward you an exponentially fractional amount. However, still a force that can carry over a long distance without direct contact.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:In your

darth_josh wrote:

In your metaphor of the thrown ball, the ball leaves a 'wake' behind it which carries a force from the source and since he caught the ball, the post-catching force has an additional 'ultraweak inertia' that affects anything between source and target by moving it toward you an exponentially fractional amount. However, still a force that can carry over a long distance without direct contact.

OK, this might give sense, assuming that the vacuum is some kind of medium. Is this medium identified? Is it dark matter? Because as you say it, the space itself seems to provide the actual energy that pulls things together, not the exchanged particles.
When we look at this from such a point of view, there is no big difference between particle model and the model of external "pressure" from surrounding vacuum, both seem work similarly. Woow... my opinion is altering itself, what a strange feeling!

There is also another thing I don't understand, but it might be too complicated to explain.

Atheistextremist wrote:
The basic idea for this fifth force was hatched in 2004 by Justin Khoury and Amanda Weltman, then members of a team led by well-known string theorist Brian Greene at Columbia University in New York City. String theory is the favoured route to unifying gravity, the odd one out among the four forces, with the other three under the umbrella of quantum mechanics. It is a great playground for devising new fields and forces. The theory is formulated in 11 dimensions, seven of which are assumed to be curled up so small that we cannot see them. Disturbances in those curled-up dimensions might make themselves felt as "extra" forces in the four dimensions of space and time we do see.

I like string theory, my information is, that it is correct. The dimensions of space and time are obvious. But what is their relationship to other dimensions?
My idea is such, that these dimensions are contained in every particle. They are not separate spaces or universes, they are additional patterns or directions of the strings' vibration within every particle we don't see, or even additional strings. Some of the particles we don't see are in the same dimension, but their vibration amplitude is greater. Matter composed of such particles has similar properties to ours, but doesn't bound with our short-vibrational matter because of difference in resulting size and structure of atoms. This is called dark matter.
Well, I digressed a little, but is the hypothesized string on fundamental particle level indeed what the author meant by the "curled-up dimension?" If yes, what the hell is matter?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Force of attraction

The attractive force between particles relates to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle which itself relates to definite momentum being connected to uncertain position within a plane wave across all possible space. Because the wave is everywhere, transfer can take place between 2 particles no matter where they are and if momentum transferred by the wave points from the receiving particle to the emitting, then there is an attracting force between the 2. It's a thorny area. Maybe some of the physics boffins could elaborate.  One of the complexities of devotion to the scientfic method is the realisation that at some point physical things get so weird it's hard to understand them. Annoyingly, this weird point varies with aptitude and I find physics hard.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:darth_josh

Luminon wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

OK, this might give sense, assuming that the vacuum is some kind of medium. Is this medium identified? Is it dark matter? Because as you say it, the space itself seems to provide the actual energy that pulls things together, not the exchanged particles.
When we look at this from such a point of view, there is no big difference between particle model and the model of external "pressure" from surrounding vacuum, both seem work similarly. Woow... my opinion is altering itself, what a strange feeling!

Sort of. I'm trying to work within your ball metaphor's parameters. Brian Cox works with airplanes. We'll work with balls. lol. Wait. That didn't sound right, but anyway.

I think it would help if you could imagine the ball'field' where you're throwing the ball is not a singular field with singular length, width, depth, and time. It also contains at each theoretical interval other matter that either does or does not interact with the ball, but rather completely ignores the ball but reacts to the effect of the ball after it has passed. A secondary 'mass' not affected by the particles of the ball, but affected by the particles that were affected by the ball. Now, when we take those 'secondary' particles and put them into the same dimensions of l,w,d,t they don't compute. However, when we apply their energy to a next dimension(s) the math works.

And so leads us to the dimension talk.

For instance, another dimension would take the complete action of throwing and catching the ball and 'compress' it into a single measurement. i.e.(hypothetical) 'For every ball thrown and catched there is a corresponding supernova of a measured intensity equal to x .' which in turn becomes another field that takes those criteria and uses them to form the basis of another etc. Our question is: What does the ball do? And 'people' become speechless in those extra dimensions because the ball is just one entire piece(particle) of the action known as 'ball thrown and caught'.

String(s) are the 'extension' of the dimensions expressed, from too small to detect to too large to imagine. Uncertainty applies because it is possible that the ball never reached, was never thrown, or disappeared midway because in a next or previous dimension, particles affected particles that affected the ball in its path 'transforming' the particles that made the ball into something else/somewhere else.

Now, the 'chameleon particles' are, simply put, particles that change their properties to fit their surroundings and they've been observed doing so. (See 'muon neutrino fermilab' ) I'm still a little behind in the desired applications of this knowledge since it doesn't offer 'dark matter' but rather can be used to explain where it can hide from us. Ooooorrrr shows us what matter changing in state is and if it can affect matter that we have.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Dov Henis (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Evolution/Natural Selection Derive From Cosmic Expansion

Natural Selection Derives From Cosmic Expansion

Two suggested editorial items:

I.

Origin And Nature Of Natural Selection

Update Concepts And Comprehension

Life is another mass format.

All mass formats are subject to natural selection.

Natural selection is delaying conversion of mass to energy fueling cosmic expansion.

Cosmic expansion is reconversion of all mass to energy.

Natural Selection Updated 2010

Beyond Historical Concepts

Natural Selection applies to ALL mass formats. Life is just one of them.

Natural Selection Defined:

Natural selection is E (energy) temporarily constrained in an m (mass) format.

Period.

Natural selection is a ubiquitous property of each and every and all cosmic mass, spin array, formats. Mass strives to increase its constrained energy content in attempt to postpone its conversion to energy and the addition of its constitutional energy to the totality of the cosmic energy that keeps fueling the cosmic expansion that goes on since the big bang.

Dov Henis

(Comments From The 22nd Century)

03.2010 Updated Life Manifest

http://www.the-scientist.com/community/posts/list/54.page#5065

Cosmic Evolution Simplified

http://www.the-scientist.com/community/posts/list/240/122.page#4427

Gravity Is The Monotheism Of The Cosmos

http://www.the-scientist.com/community/posts/list/260/122.page#4887

EOTOE, Embarrassingly obvious TOE, expanding the horizon beyond Darwin And Einstein

http://www.molecularfossils.com/2010/05/formal-test-of-theory-of-universal.html

============================================

Origin And Nature Of Natural Selection

Longevity Schmongevity Genes

It's Not The Procedure, But The Concept That Is Absurd

Longevity Genes Search Reflects Science Decadence

http://www.the-scientist.com/community/posts/list/320/122.page#6368

A. For most centenarians, longevity is written in the DNA.

A study of people who live past 100 reveals many genetic paths to a long life.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/60772/title/For_most_centenarians%2C_longevity_is_written_in_the_DNA

B. Longevity, survival, natural selection, evolution

- Merriam-Webster OnLine

Longevity = a : a long duration of individual life b : length of life <a study of longevity>

- Longevity is about survival, which is about "natural selection", which is about energy constrainment, which is about life evolution, which is about cosmic evolution. Every mass is destined to become energy to fuel the ongoing cosmic expansion. This is why organisms and black holes etc., eat, digest energy in mass forms, to avoid-postpone conversion to energy. This is evolution, which is natural selection, which is survival, which is longevity.

- All mass formats age. Life is a mass format. Searching for longevity genes is searching for evolution genes...

C. The search for longevity genes is a reflection of the 20th-21st centuries science decadence

Its concepts and terminology reflect the abandonment of basic science for adoption of the pretentious cancerous capitalist 20th-21st century technology culture.

Dov Henis

II.

Rethink Astronomy And The Universe

even without Quantum Unique Ergodicity, but with plain commonsense

Galactic clusters formed by dispersion, not by conglomeration. The proof of this is their behaviour, including acceleration, as Newtonian bodies.

These bodies formed at the start of inflation, when all energy was still in mass format, and the inflation was the start of reconversion of cosmic mass into energy.

Rethink

- A Basic Physics Tenet

- The Universe In Which We Live

A. Neutrino quick-change artist caught in the act

A transformation from one ‘flavor’ to another confirms the elusive elementary particles have mass and suggests a need for new physics.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/59825/title/Neutrino_quick-change_artist_caught_in_the_act

B. Adopt

- Each and every particle has mass.

- Dark energy and matter YOK.

- Higgs field/particle YOK.

- Do not be afraid of embarrassingly obvious answers. Adopt space-distance in lieu of space-time.

C. And Rethink The Universe

By the presently available data our universe is a dual-cycle array.

One cycle, the present, started from singularity, with all cosmic energy in mass format, and it has been proceeding to reconvert all the mass resolved at the big bang back to energy, by expanding the cosmos, by accelerating away the galaxy clusters.

The other cycle, the cycle that led to singularity, will re-start when the expanding cosmos consumes most or all mass that fuels the expansion. Gravity will then initiate reconversion of all the energy back to mass, to singularity, again.

Dov Henis

EOTOE.Embarrassingly obvious expanding horizons beyond Darwin And Einstein.

http://www.molecularfossils.com/2010/05/formal-test-of-theory-of-universal.html

Dov Henis (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
On Genes/Genomes And Concepts/Terminology

On Genes And Genomes, Concepts And Terminology

http://darwiniana.com/2010/11/11/epigenetics-9/comment-page-1/#comment-355245

Dispel Some Figments Of Present Science Imagination

"Galaxies pin down dark energy"

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/44468

- Dark energy and matter YOK. Per E=Total[m(1 + D)] all the energy and matter of the universe are accounted for.

- Higgs Particle YOK. Mass begins to form below some value of the above D.

- Sleep is inherent for life via the RNAs, the primal Earth ORGANISMS formed and active only under direct sunlight in pre-metabolism genesis era.

- Natural selection is ubiquitous for ALL Mass Formats. It derives from the expansion of the universe.

- Epigenetics: Where Life Meets the Genome

http://www.bionews.org.uk/page_66997.asp?dinfo=rWfnKzZO4tkhJf38jsJ5EeJo

Epigenetics =

a) the study of heritable changes in gene function that do not involve changes in DNA sequence

b) the science of enduring changes in the pattern of gene activity, during embryo development and beyond, that do not involve alteration of the DNA sequence.

The "heritable or enduring changes" are epiDNAtics, not epigenetics. Alternative splicing is not epigenetics, even if/when not involving alteration of the DNA sequence. Earth life is an RNA world.

It's the RNAs that evolve proteins. AND IT'S THE RNAs THAT HAVE EVOLVED AND PRODUCE AND EMPLOY THE DNA ( and RNA ) templates to carry out life processes, for enhancing Earth's biosphere, for augmenting and constraining as long as possible some energy by augmenting its self-propagation, constraining some of the total energy of the universe, all of which is destined to fuel the ongoing cosmic expansion.

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND IT STILL IS AN RNA EARTH LIFE.

Science should adjust its vision, comprehension and concepts.

Dov Henis

http://www.the-scientist.com/community/user/profile/1655.page

Seed of Human-Chimp Genomes Diversity

http://pulse.yahoo.com/_2SF3CJJM5OU6T27OC4MFQSDYEU/blog/articles/53079

Evolution, Natural Selection, Derive From Cosmic Expansion

http://darwiniana.com/2010/09/05/the-question-reductionists-fear/

On Genes And Genomes, Concepts And Terminology

http://darwiniana.com/2010/11/11/epigenetics-9/comment-page-1/#comment-355245

Dispel Some Figments Of Present Science Imagination

"Galaxies pin down dark energy"

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/44468

- Dark energy and matter YOK. Per E=Total[m(1 + D)] all the energy and matter of the universe are accounted for.

- Higgs Particle YOK. Mass begins to form below some value of the above D.

- Sleep is inherent for life via the RNAs, the primal Earth ORGANISMS formed and active only under direct sunlight in pre-metabolism genesis era.

- Natural selection is ubiquitous for ALL Mass Formats. It derives from the expansion of the universe.

- Epigenetics: Where Life Meets the Genome

http://www.bionews.org.uk/page_66997.asp?dinfo=rWfnKzZO4tkhJf38jsJ5EeJo

Epigenetics =

a) the study of heritable changes in gene function that do not involve changes in DNA sequence

b) the science of enduring changes in the pattern of gene activity, during embryo development and beyond, that do not involve alteration of the DNA sequence.

The "heritable or enduring changes" are epiDNAtics, not epigenetics. Alternative splicing is not epigenetics, even if/when not involving alteration of the DNA sequence. Earth life is an RNA world.

It's the RNAs that evolve proteins. AND IT'S THE RNAs THAT HAVE EVOLVED AND PRODUCE AND EMPLOY THE DNA ( and RNA ) templates to carry out life processes, for enhancing Earth's biosphere, for augmenting and constraining as long as possible some energy by augmenting its self-propagation, constraining some of the total energy of the universe, all of which is destined to fuel the ongoing cosmic expansion.

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND IT STILL IS AN RNA EARTH LIFE.

Science should adjust its vision, comprehension and concepts.

Dov Henis

http://www.the-scientist.com/community/user/profile/1655.page

Seed of Human-Chimp Genomes Diversity

http://pulse.yahoo.com/_2SF3CJJM5OU6T27OC4MFQSDYEU/blog/articles/53079

Evolution, Natural Selection, Derive From Cosmic Expansion

http://darwiniana.com/2010/09/05/the-question-reductionists-fear/

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
The answer is: Yes. Posting

The answer is: Yes. Posting one piece relevant to the thread topic is enough to keep the rest intact in some cases.