How do you guys like vaccination?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
How do you guys like vaccination?

Recently I've done some reading on this and it looks like I found a plenty of people who don't like it and are not afraid to throw around scientific studies. Of course, I take seriously only people with degrees and who publish their sources.

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/ImmunizationGraphs-RO2009.pdf
For example, this colourful collection of graphs shows how the dreadful diseases were already on sharp decline, long before immunization was introduced to population. This suggests that the true cause of disease is low life standard, lack of proper housing and nutrition, which really decides the effectivity of immunity system and therefore health.
Pie graphs show the peculiarity of how unvaccinated children are much less sick than vaccinated children, with the very diseases they were vaccinated. I presume this reflects the percentage of relative to two groups of children, not in absolute numbers. Renown journals couldn't afford such a statistical blunder.

There are articles what are the vaccines made of. Let's take hepatitis vaccines, for example. They're made of excrements of sick people (shit, pus, urine, etc), then the viruses are grown on infected animal tissue (which adds more danger of foreign DNA/RNA and allergic reaction), then the pathogens are stunned by formaldehyde (cancerogenic stuff) and then there are additives of thimerosal (mercury-based preservative additive), aluminium compounds (to increase immunity response) and then perhaps glycerine and chloroform. Often antibiotics are added on top of that. I hoped in some sort of pure laboratory viral culture, but as my source says, viruses just won't grow well out of nowhere or in healthy and well oxygenated tissue.
I have to say, my classmate is a woman around her 30's who wants to work as a nurse and these hepatitis vaccines are mandatory for the work. She fell awfully sick after each dose. No wonder, considering how toxic this stuff is.

Viera Scheibner, Ph.D., had a lecture here in 2007. She invented Cotwatch, a device by which she monitored breath of about 4000 newborns. And the results showed irregularities in breath of all the newborns in precise time correlation with their scheduled vaccinations, the day they were vaccinated or the day after. Before that, breathing pattern of all newborns was normal. Furthermore, when Japan in 1975 rescheduled the vaccination to 2nd year of the child's life, newborn survival rates changed. Before, Japan was on 17th place in newborn survival rates, but just after that it jumped on 1st place. Impressive, eh? This all led dr. Scheibner that vaccination of newborns is probably the cause of SIDS. More can be read here:
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/cot_death.html

There is a special fund for victims of vaccines. Between the years 1990 and 2008 USA paid 835 298 300,81 dollars from this fund.

My main problem is, (besides being vaccinated and coincidentially allergic) that in my country there is still a strict regime of mandatory vaccination. Those parents who reject vaccination, can be financially penalized. One financial penalty per parent and rejected vaccine, therefore the family is fined at least twice.

This is absolutely unlawful, both generally and specifically. Fines for rejecting vaccination violate the presumption of innocence principle. How can be anyone punished for something they didn't yet do? Who can tell for sure that a child without vaccination will catch a disease some day in the future AND infect other (vaccinated!) children, making the parents responsible?

Specifically, Czech Republic subscribed the Convention on Human Rights and Biomedicine. The Convention is according to constitution superior to our national laws. The Convention can be however easily misinterpreted, as it does MUDr. Michael Vít, Ph.D., main hygienic of Czech Republic. Fortunately it was published together with explanatory report that sets the rules of interpreting the Convention. This report has chapter II, article 5, Agreement.
This article again reinforces already accepted international rule, that nobody can be forced to a medical intervention without agreement. This also includes "preventive" medical interventions, which obviously includes vaccination. Therefore, what I do have here is violation of international convention.

My Health ministry is notoriously known to be a bitch of medical corporations. There are secret but frequent deals with corporate envoys which force the doctors to use highly expensive, patented medicines instead of non-patedted medicines with the same effective substance, which are much cheaper. Officials and corporations split the profit and costs are paid by tax payers. The same case is with vaccinations, there's an agressive propaganda around it in my country. It was well demonstrated on government willingness to spend hundreds of millions and buy useless and untested (therefore dangerous) vaccine on swine flu, which should be mandatory for state employees.

Gives sense, because vaccines make money and money make good marketing and grease the political roads. Non-vaccination doesn't produce money, therefore this side of argument doesn't have the means to make itself heard. I'd like to see the bank account of MUDr. Vít, the main hygienic and deputy of Health minister.

This all makes me want to become rich, because I'll need a lot of money to get around this problem. I wonder what will be more expensive, if paying the fines for rejecting vaccine, or bribing the doctor to fake vaccination certificate and give the children a shot of saline. Or relocating, or taking this to the court. The cheapest way would probably be to become a politician and correct the law to civilized international standard. We are not in 19th century and the only polio epidemies happen after major vaccinations.

So what's it with you guys and your children if you have any? It's a beautiful world for them.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
People die of these

People die of these diseases.  Children and infants die.  Most of the diseases that we vaccinate for are viruses.  Antibiotics will not work against viruses.  As an adult, you can be a carrier of whooping cough and give it to some else's infant - who may need hospitalization or even die of the disease.  People die of measles, polio, tetanus, hepatitis, ......

The doctor who was my family doctor when I was a child said he saw someone die of tetanus (also called lockjaw) when he was an intern at the hospital.  He said if you ever saw that, you would get a tetanus shot every time you scratched your ass.  Tetanus is endemic in the soil - that is, every time you cut yourself on a dirty piece of trash or rock, you could contract the disease.

I won't bother researching and refuting all the garbage you found.  And it is garbage, Luminon.  For example, thimerisol has been outlawed in the US since the early 1990s.  And of course, you feel a little ill after a vaccination - you have just been given a dose of the disease.  That is how vaccines work.  You prime your immune system by giving it a small - usually killed - dose of the disease in question so your immune system knows what to look out for and will mobilize against the disease immediately on contact.  Rather than wait until you are sick enough that the immune cells realize you are sick and then mobilize.  Would your friend rather contract hepatitis and be ill for months?

Japan's numbers only work if the surrounding population is immunized against the diseases that infants may contract.  That is, if there is "herd immunity".  The state of California is recommending all adults get re-vaccinated against whooping cough hoping to reduce the number of infant deaths.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,598203,00.html#

Another Infant Dies of Whooping Cough in California

Friday, July 30, 2010

SAN DIEGO, Calif.  —  San Diego County health officials say a month-old baby boy has died of whooping cough.

The death reported Thursday marks at least the seventh infant to die of whooping cough this year in California.

The San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency says the boy died Tuesday at Rady Children's Hospital, the county's first whooping cough death in nine years.

Whooping cough has become an epidemic in California, which has recorded about 1,500 cases through July 13. That's a fivefold increase over the same period last year.

Dean Sidelinger, county deputy public health officer, urges parents and caretakers to get vaccinations to avoid more deaths because the illness is highly contagious.

A typical case appears similar to a common cold for up to two weeks, followed by coughing fits that sometimes end with a whooping sound.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
Billy Bob Jenkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those who go to doctors have

Those who go to doctors have no faith in God and will burn in Hell. 

True Christians know that the Lord will heal our wounds.

Exodus 15:26 (King James Version) 26And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

Deuteronomy 7:15 (King James Version) 15And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all them that hate thee.

Psalm 103:1-5 (King James Version) 1Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. 2Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: 3Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; 4Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; 5Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Psalm 103:2-3 (King James Version) 2Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: 3Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

Psalm 107:19-20 (King James Version) 19Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saveth them out of their distresses. 20He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

Psalm 147:3 (King James Version) 3He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.

Proverbs 3:7-8 (King James Version) 7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. 8It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.

Isaiah 19:22 (King James Version) 22And the LORD shall smite Egypt: he shall smite and heal it: and they shall return even to the LORD, and he shall be intreated of them, and shall heal them.

Isaiah 53:5 (King James Version) 5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Isaiah 57:17-18 (King James Version) 17For the iniquity of his covetousness was I wroth, and smote him: I hid me, and was wroth, and he went on frowardly in the way of his heart. 18I have seen his ways, and will heal him: I will lead him also, and restore comforts unto him and to his mourners.

Jeremiah 30:12-14, 17 12For thus saith the LORD, Thy bruise is incurable, and thy wound is grievous. 13There is none to plead thy cause, that thou mayest be bound up: thou hast no healing medicines. 14All thy lovers have forgotten thee; they seek thee not; for I have wounded thee with the wound of an enemy, with the chastisement of a cruel one, for the multitude of thine iniquity; because thy sins were increased.17For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the LORD; because they called thee an Outcast, saying, This is Zion, whom no man seeketh after.

Malachi 4:2 (King James Version) 2But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

The Truest Christian these atheists will ever meet. I worship the only Lord at the Church with the Truest Christians: Landover Baptist.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Another Infant Dies

cj wrote:

Were these children vaccinated or not, does the article say anything about that? If not, where did they caught the whooping cough from?  From vaccinated children? Reputedly, you can catch polio from changing diapers on a child just vaccinated against it.

And what are actual absolute and relative mortal rates for California's newborns? The article doesn't say anything. Seven dead infants is a sad thing, but on nationwide scale it may be very fortunate, it depends on statistics. Aren't these diseases around just because we grow and spread them on purpose?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think priming the human

immune system by vaccination is worth the risks. We have nationwide vaccination in Australia of girls for HPV which causes cervical cancer, throat cancer and more. It started about 5 years ago and it's been so successful the plan is to extend it to boys.

I wouldn't argue against the suggestion that there are ethical issues with vaccination and that business profit and ethics are strange bed fellows.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:cj

Luminon wrote:

cj wrote:

Were these children vaccinated or not, does the article say anything about that? If not, where did they caught the whooping cough from?  From vaccinated children? Reputedly, you can catch polio from changing diapers on a child just vaccinated against it.

And what are actual absolute and relative mortal rates for California's newborns? The article doesn't say anything. Seven dead infants is a sad thing, but on nationwide scale it may be very fortunate, it depends on statistics. Aren't these diseases around just because we grow and spread them on purpose?

From reading other articles on this epidemic, the infants were not vaccinated.  They caught the disease from other older people - both children and adults.  If you were vaccinated for whooping cough as an infant (usually it is a combined shot diptheria-pertussis (whooping cough)-tetanus)  your immunity will fade over time.  It is why adults are encouraged to repeat tetanus shots at least every 10 years and more often if you work in a high risk profession.  Adults are not usually re-vaccinated for whooping cough as they do not typically get more than a very mild infection from it. 

No one intentionally grows diseases in order to spread them.  There may be a few laboratories where the virus is frozen for future reference or it may be thawed out if active experiments are occurring.  But to then say the viruses are intentionally spread?  No.  No.  NO.  Pertussis only lives in human respiratory systems.  So only if everyone is vaccinated will the disease be wiped out.  Sort of like smallpox - which was wiped out in the wild as almost everyone was vaccinated against it and so the disease had no one to live in.  We could do the same with pertussis.

Seven dead infants that were preventable deaths.  They could have been alive and healthy today if their parents had vaccinated them.  How much do you want to bet if the parents had other children that they are now vaccinated?

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Recently I've

Luminon wrote:

Recently I've done some reading on this and it looks like I found a plenty of people who don't like it and are not afraid to throw around scientific studies. Of course, I take seriously only people with degrees and who publish their sources.

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/ImmunizationGraphs-RO2009.pdf
For example, this colourful collection of graphs shows how the dreadful diseases were already on sharp decline, long before immunization was introduced to population. This suggests that the true cause of disease is low life standard, lack of proper housing and nutrition, which really decides the effectivity of immunity system and therefore health.
Pie graphs show the peculiarity of how unvaccinated children are much less sick than vaccinated children, with the very diseases they were vaccinated. I presume this reflects the percentage of relative to two groups of children, not in absolute numbers. Renown journals couldn't afford such a statistical blunder.

This is my first post so by way of introduction - I worked in public health in the U.S. for over eleven years.  Three of those were as environmental health director.  Educational background is in ecology and evolutionary biology, chemistry and a little bit in environment and behavior.  There is a lot of misinformation and partial truths in this field.  Yes, many infectious diseases were in sharp decline before vaccines were introduced.  This is almost entirely due to the germ theory and understanding of what caused specific diseases.  That resulted in the growth of most of the modern environmental health practices (sanitation) being adopted.  Example - even without a vaccine for Cholera, you can drastically reduce the incidence of the disease by practicing proper treatment and disposal of sewage and protecting you water supplies from cross contamination.  Effective public health and sanitation proceeded vaccination and that is the source of your decline in disease prior to the introduction of vaccines.

Illness in vaccinated/un-vaccinated children is complex.  Un-vaccinated children benefit from most children being vaccinated because of the reduced exposure.  Sometimes the numbers are too small to give significant results.  Other factors my also be involved.  However, there is no evidence that being vaccinated results in over all reduction in health.

Luminon wrote:

There are articles what are the vaccines made of. Let's take hepatitis vaccines, for example. They're made of excrements of sick people (shit, pus, urine, etc), then the viruses are grown on infected animal tissue (which adds more danger of foreign DNA/RNA and allergic reaction), then the pathogens are stunned by formaldehyde (cancerogenic stuff) and then there are additives of thimerosal (mercury-based preservative additive), aluminium compounds (to increase immunity response) and then perhaps glycerine and chloroform. Often antibiotics are added on top of that. I hoped in some sort of pure laboratory viral culture, but as my source says, viruses just won't grow well out of nowhere or in healthy and well oxygenated tissue.
I have to say, my classmate is a woman around her 30's who wants to work as a nurse and these hepatitis vaccines are mandatory for the work. She fell awfully sick after each dose. No wonder, considering how toxic this stuff is.

Mostly BS.  Vaccines are made from samples of the virus or bacteria that is the target.  These are extracted, purified and then grown in sterilized culture media (for bacteria) or on a living medium (like fertile eggs for influenza) in the case of viruses.  Cross contamination by improper purification or lack of sterile technique results in garbage.  The purified organism is then killed or attenuated to prevent it from causing the illness.  The vaccine is then subjected to extensive animal testing, then several stages of human testing - first to demonstrate that it is safe, then to demonstrate that it is effective.

Some vaccines are produced by separating out the DNA that produces the protein coat.  That DNA is then introduced into a bacteria (e.coli is a common one) and the bacteria produce the individual proteins to make the coat.  These are separated out and when re-combined (each from a different bacterial culture) they self assemble to make a complete viral particle - sans any DNA or RNA core that would allow the virus to be viable.

It is not possible to catch a disease like polio by taking the vaccine.  Period.

Luminon wrote:

Viera Scheibner, Ph.D., had a lecture here in 2007. She invented Cotwatch, a device by which she monitored breath of about 4000 newborns. And the results showed irregularities in breath of all the newborns in precise time correlation with their scheduled vaccinations, the day they were vaccinated or the day after. Before that, breathing pattern of all newborns was normal. Furthermore, when Japan in 1975 rescheduled the vaccination to 2nd year of the child's life, newborn survival rates changed. Before, Japan was on 17th place in newborn survival rates, but just after that it jumped on 1st place. Impressive, eh? This all led dr. Scheibner that vaccination of newborns is probably the cause of SIDS. More can be read here:
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/cot_death.html

From what I have read, there is no correlation between early childhood vaccinations and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.  There have been lots of suspects over the years, but nothing has proved out yet.  We are still trying to figure that one out.  It is a weird one.

Luminon wrote:

There is a special fund for victims of vaccines. Between the years 1990 and 2008 USA paid 835 298 300,81 dollars from this fund.

This is true.  However, I do suggest the interested reader go look at the page and read all of it.  The total number of cases is relatively small and the actual compensation paid was  $1,888,736,292.47 to 2,472 claims.  This is a fund that is paid for by the manufacturers to avoid being tied up in lawsuits.  Even so, over 4,400 claims were found to be groundless and were dismissed with no compensation.

Yes, there are risks.  A friend of mine cannot take the Flu vaccines because they are cultured in eggs and she is allergic enough to eggs that she has a reaction. 

Luminon wrote:

My main problem is, (besides being vaccinated and coincidentially allergic) that in my country there is still a strict regime of mandatory vaccination. Those parents who reject vaccination, can be financially penalized. One financial penalty per parent and rejected vaccine, therefore the family is fined at least twice.

This is absolutely unlawful, both generally and specifically. Fines for rejecting vaccination violate the presumption of innocence principle. How can be anyone punished for something they didn't yet do? Who can tell for sure that a child without vaccination will catch a disease some day in the future AND infect other (vaccinated!) children, making the parents responsible?

Specifically, Czech Republic subscribed the Convention on Human Rights and Biomedicine. The Convention is according to constitution superior to our national laws. The Convention can be however easily misinterpreted, as it does MUDr. Michael Vít, Ph.D., main hygienic of Czech Republic. Fortunately it was published together with explanatory report that sets the rules of interpreting the Convention. This report has chapter II, article 5, Agreement.
This article again reinforces already accepted international rule, that nobody can be forced to a medical intervention without agreement. This also includes "preventive" medical interventions, which obviously includes vaccination. Therefore, what I do have here is violation of international convention.

Local problem.  Work through this one locally.  In much of the U.S. you do not have to get your children vaccinated if you choose not to.  However, you cannot send them to public schools without proof of vaccination.

Luminon wrote:

My Health ministry is notoriously known to be a bitch of medical corporations. There are secret but frequent deals with corporate envoys which force the doctors to use highly expensive, patented medicines instead of non-patedted medicines with the same effective substance, which are much cheaper. Officials and corporations split the profit and costs are paid by tax payers. The same case is with vaccinations, there's an agressive propaganda around it in my country. It was well demonstrated on government willingness to spend hundreds of millions and buy useless and untested (therefore dangerous) vaccine on swine flu, which should be mandatory for state employees.

Gives sense, because vaccines make money and money make good marketing and grease the political roads. Non-vaccination doesn't produce money, therefore this side of argument doesn't have the means to make itself heard. I'd like to see the bank account of MUDr. Vít, the main hygienic and deputy of Health minister.

This all makes me want to become rich, because I'll need a lot of money to get around this problem. I wonder what will be more expensive, if paying the fines for rejecting vaccine, or bribing the doctor to fake vaccination certificate and give the children a shot of saline. Or relocating, or taking this to the court. The cheapest way would probably be to become a politician and correct the law to civilized international standard. We are not in 19th century and the only polio epidemies happen after major vaccinations.

So what's it with you guys and your children if you have any? It's a beautiful world for them.

The biggest problem with producing vaccines is that the profit margin is so small (in the U.S.) it is difficult to get the big phama to produce them.  Can't imagine they are trying to force everyone to be vaccinated as a way of making huge profits.

I think the biggest problem with vaccinations is how successful they are.  Most people today do not have any memory of the horror of major epidemics of the real killers like polio, cholera, small pox, yellow fever, malaria, pertussis, etc.  Since they have nothing to compare with that, they assume that it must not have really been that bad, or that modern medicine can fix it if you do catch it.  It is a common problem in environmental health.  If you are doing your job, no one gets sick.  If no one gets sick, then obviously, we don't need to pay for environmental health programs.  Nothing in the world gets people to appreciate good public health programs like a really bad outbreak of some readily preventable diseases.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice post Skyzersdad

Welcome to the site.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:From reading other

cj wrote:

From reading other articles on this epidemic, the infants were not vaccinated.  They caught the disease from other older people - both children and adults.  If you were vaccinated for whooping cough as an infant (usually it is a combined shot diptheria-pertussis (whooping cough)-tetanus)  your immunity will fade over time.  It is why adults are encouraged to repeat tetanus shots at least every 10 years and more often if you work in a high risk profession.  Adults are not usually re-vaccinated for whooping cough as they do not typically get more than a very mild infection from it. 

All right. People like Dr. Viera Scheibner are really concerned about DPT vaccine, so it's rather diffcult to decide if to use it or not. I'll have to take a look when these deaths occured, in what age.

cj wrote:

No one intentionally grows diseases in order to spread them.  There may be a few laboratories where the virus is frozen for future reference or it may be thawed out if active experiments are occurring.  But to then say the viruses are intentionally spread?  No.  No.  NO.  Pertussis only lives in human respiratory systems.  So only if everyone is vaccinated will the disease be wiped out.  Sort of like smallpox - which was wiped out in the wild as almost everyone was vaccinated against it and so the disease had no one to live in.  We could do the same with pertussis.

Here I mean two things. Firstly, cultivating the diseases and vaccinating people sort of keeps the disease around, for protective purposes. Secondly, my information is that the problem is also in form of burial. For countless ages people were buried into soil and all their germs with them. By now, soil is pretty much infected and it gets back into food. The solution is in not burying people into soil for several centuries, but cremating them. Hygiene is the proverbial half of health.

cj wrote:
Seven dead infants that were preventable deaths.  They could have been alive and healthy today if their parents had vaccinated them.  How much do you want to bet if the parents had other children that they are now vaccinated?

Yes, they would be alive and maybe healthy, if SIDS wouldn't get to them first, or allergies, autism, astma, and other a-words. I'd personally wait with the child for 2 years before vaccination, so the immunity system will be more prepared and more able to handle everything. These results from Japan are very significant. Until then, the children may be at risk, but I have my methods how to help immunity system and defeat any infection. The only problem is, that some doctors are slow to catch up with that.
I'm not a mortal enemy of vaccination, I just don't think that market will solve everything. I'd like to see shift of health-related activity from pharmacologic corporations and doctors to parents, from commercial subjects to non-commercial.

It's also a compromise. For example, if people could drive only 20 km/h, nobody would ever get hurt in traffic, but nobody would get anywhere in time. So it is with vaccination, too early it causes many worries among doctors and parents as for wide variety of mental and physical problems. And too lately it leaves the child dangerously unprotected for some time.

Skyzersdad wrote:

This is my first post so by way of introduction - I worked in public health in the U.S. for over eleven years.  Three of those were as environmental health director.  Educational background is in ecology and evolutionary biology, chemistry and a little bit in environment and behavior.  There is a lot of misinformation and partial truths in this field.  Yes, many infectious diseases were in sharp decline before vaccines were introduced.  This is almost entirely due to the germ theory and understanding of what caused specific diseases.  That resulted in the growth of most of the modern environmental health practices (sanitation) being adopted.  Example - even without a vaccine for Cholera, you can drastically reduce the incidence of the disease by practicing proper treatment and disposal of sewage and protecting you water supplies from cross contamination.  Effective public health and sanitation proceeded vaccination and that is the source of your decline in disease prior to the introduction of vaccines. 

Hello and welcome. Yeah, that gives sense.

Skyzersdad wrote:
Illness in vaccinated/un-vaccinated children is complex.  Un-vaccinated children benefit from most children being vaccinated because of the reduced exposure.  Sometimes the numbers are too small to give significant results.  Other factors my also be involved.  However, there is no evidence that being vaccinated results in over all reduction in health.
No wonder there is no evidence. If almost everyone's vaccinated, then it sort of sets standard for health. Things like allergies, ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia and so on become "normal". Only old people wonder where these things came from and that they didn't see them around when they were young. So it is with child cancer, leukaemia and diabetes. You could argue with better diagnostic methods that we have today, but these are really so-called civilization diseases.

Skyzersdad wrote:

Mostly BS.  Vaccines are made from samples of the virus or bacteria that is the target.  These are extracted, purified and then grown in sterilized culture media (for bacteria) or on a living medium (like fertile eggs for influenza) in the case of viruses.  Cross contamination by improper purification or lack of sterile technique results in garbage.  The purified organism is then killed or attenuated to prevent it from causing the illness.  The vaccine is then subjected to extensive animal testing, then several stages of human testing - first to demonstrate that it is safe, then to demonstrate that it is effective.

OK, that sounds more reasonable. But who decides these standards and for which vaccines? If I remember, that wasn't the case with the famous H1N1 swine flu. This one vaccine wasn't tested on humans and contains squalene, which was linked to the Gulf war syndrome. The manufacturer got really nice sum of money on it.
There is not even a scientific study that proves existence of this virus, I mean, isolated, photographed and tested. If I'm wrong and there is, then show it to dr. Stefan Lanka and he will give you 10.000 euro.

Skyzersdad wrote:

It is not possible to catch a disease like polio by taking the vaccine.  Period.

OK, it shouldn't be possible, if it only contains viral coats.

Skyzersdad wrote:

From what I have read, there is no correlation between early childhood vaccinations and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.  There have been lots of suspects over the years, but nothing has proved out yet.  We are still trying to figure that one out.  It is a weird one.

Did you read well enough?
Quote:
Inevitably, we began recording breathing patterns of babies after vaccination. The results of these recordings were presented to the 2nd Immunisation Conference, held in Canberra, 27~29th May 1991. We demonstrated that microprocessor records of babies' breathing after DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus) injections reveal a pattern of flare-ups of Stress-Induced Breathing closely following the dynamics of adreno-cortical activity in an individual under stress and as observed by Dr Selye.

We also demonstrated that flare-ups of Stress-Induced Breathing in babies after administration of the DPT vaccine occur characteristically on certain days even though the amplitude of the flare-ups varies from child to child.

For seventy babies who succumbed to cot death, although babies could die on any day after DPT injection, there were significantly more deaths on the days which closely correlated with flare-ups of Stress-Induced Breathing after DPT injections.

The data on the time interval between the DPT injection and cot death in most of the seventy babies was taken from the published reports which concluded that there was no connection between DPT and cot death. The authors of these papers had little idea what they were looking at or what to look for. Most researchers arbitrarily accept that only deaths within 24 hours of administration of the vaccine can be attributed to the effect of the vaccine. Yet, babies may and do die for up to 25 or more days after vaccination, and still as a direct consequence of the toxic effects of the vaccines.

How do we know this? Because of the observed repetition of the pattern of flare-ups of Stress-Induced Breathing in a number of babies over a long period of time.

I know, that would also require a comparative study done large number of non-vaccinated babies, to be 100% conclusive.

Skyzersdad wrote:

This is true.  However, I do suggest the interested reader go look at the page and read all of it.  The total number of cases is relatively small and the actual compensation paid was  $1,888,736,292.47 to 2,472 claims.  This is a fund that is paid for by the manufacturers to avoid being tied up in lawsuits.  Even so, over 4,400 claims were found to be groundless and were dismissed with no compensation.

I wonder how the number would like if people would really report side effects of vaccination. In my country the report rate is about 2%, not more. Even so, many lifetime health or mental problems are not yet linked to vaccination

Skyzersdad wrote:
Yes, there are risks.  A friend of mine cannot take the Flu vaccines because they are cultured in eggs and she is allergic enough to eggs that she has a reaction.
No great loss, when you catch flu doctors will anyway tell you that it's a different strain.

Skyzersdad wrote:

Local problem.  Work through this one locally.  In much of the U.S. you do not have to get your children vaccinated if you choose not to.  However, you cannot send them to public schools without proof of vaccination.

Yeah, I'd like that very much. I'd love to compare teachers' records of children according to which age they were first vaccinated. I guess that some parents leave the vaccination up to the last pre-school year, which would make a fine comparison group.

Skyzersdad wrote:
The biggest problem with producing vaccines is that the profit margin is so small (in the U.S.) it is difficult to get the big phama to produce them.  Can't imagine they are trying to force everyone to be vaccinated as a way of making huge profits.

I think the biggest problem with vaccinations is how successful they are.  Most people today do not have any memory of the horror of major epidemics of the real killers like polio, cholera, small pox, yellow fever, malaria, pertussis, etc.  Since they have nothing to compare with that, they assume that it must not have really been that bad, or that modern medicine can fix it if you do catch it.  It is a common problem in environmental health.  If you are doing your job, no one gets sick.  If no one gets sick, then obviously, we don't need to pay for environmental health programs.  Nothing in the world gets people to appreciate good public health programs like a really bad outbreak of some readily preventable diseases.

Maybe there is another way. The germ theory says, that germs cause diseases. What if it's wrong? What if the true cause of disease is unhealthy physical and mental condition of the body? Germs would then only take their opportunity and produce something that we then call disease. Keeping germs away is possible but costly and has side effects. Some germs fight each other (like tuberculosis is said to destroy syphillis) and most of them is capable of living with body in peace and small numbers.

With exception of really dangerous viruses like HIV or polio, the true solution might lie in maintaining the immunity system. I personally have good experiences with ingesting acidified sodium chlorite. (which is banned in USA by FDA)  The "I" includes wide local community, including certain practical physicians and their children. Acidified sodium chlorite is well known, harmless, used for decades in various industries (including water sanitation and food preservation) and proven by countless studies. Ingested, it can destroy malaria in 4 hours and similarly it is with most of other viruses, harmful bacteria and parasites. Effect on HIV and cancer cells is yet inconclusive, but hopeful. Of course it's not a magical cure, it only oxidizes pathologic germs and sediments in body, and without vitamins it won't protect you, but it does better what vaccines are supposed to do and much more than that. It shows that there are alternatives. Honestly, I'm not even sure when flu season begins and ends, I don't participate on this festival.

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Maybe there

Luminon wrote:

Maybe there is another way. The germ theory says, that germs cause diseases. What if it's wrong? What if the true cause of disease is unhealthy physical and mental condition of the body? Germs would then only take their opportunity and produce something that we then call disease. Keeping germs away is possible but costly and has side effects. Some germs fight each other (like tuberculosis is said to destroy syphillis) and most of them is capable of living with body in peace and small numbers.

Maybe their is a better way. Germ theory does not say germs cause diseases.  Germ theory says that for every specific infectious disease, there is an identifiable organism (or virus) that can transmit the illness to another person.  No organism = no illness.  Yes, you can have the organism present and be non-symptomatic and still transmit the illness.  See Typhoid Mary for one of the better known instances.  Promoting the health of the immune system normally promotes better health responses to illness.  But, not always.  The 1918 Flu and the Hanta Virus outbreaks in the Southwestern United States killed primarily healthy young adults because their immune systems "over reacted" to the virus.  The result was their lungs filled up with plasma and they suffocated in their own fluids.  Older and younger victims with slower and less responsive immune systems weathered the disease just fine.  Boosting the immune system can turn non lethal diseases into killers.  Over active immune systems are also implicated in the occurrence of autoimmune diseases like diabetes, MS, rumatoid arthritis and others.  No treat there.

Luminon wrote:

With exception of really dangerous viruses like HIV or polio, the true solution might lie in maintaining the immunity system. I personally have good experiences with ingesting acidified sodium chlorite. (which is banned in USA by FDA)  The "I" includes wide local community, including certain practical physicians and their children. Acidified sodium chlorite is well known, harmless, used for decades in various industries (including water sanitation and food preservation) and proven by countless studies. Ingested, it can destroy malaria in 4 hours and similarly it is with most of other viruses, harmful bacteria and parasites. Effect on HIV and cancer cells is yet inconclusive, but hopeful. Of course it's not a magical cure, it only oxidizes pathologic germs and sediments in body, and without vitamins it won't protect you, but it does better what vaccines are supposed to do and much more than that. It shows that there are alternatives. Honestly, I'm not even sure when flu season begins and ends, I don't participate on this festival.

Don't drink this stuff!!!  Acidified sodium chlorite produces chlorine dioxide.  This is an industrial bleach and can cause methmoglobanemia, thyroid damage, renal failure and reduced T4 counts in the blood.  None of the claims made for it are substantiated in the literature and the stuff is toxic.  It is used to bleach fabrics, paper, and to disinfect municipal water supplies.  It is not safe to take internally at the levels the promoters of it suggest.  The residual level needed to treat water systems is 0.25 parts per million.  If you can smell chlorine in your water out of the tap, it is probably about there.

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Maybe there

dp sorry

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: All right.

Luminon wrote:

All right. People like Dr. Viera Scheibner are really concerned about DPT vaccine, so it's rather diffcult to decide if to use it or not. I'll have to take a look when these deaths occured, in what age.

The medical definition of an infant is a child under 2 years (24 months) of age.  So the reported deaths are of children less than 2 years of age.

This article is dated June 23, 2010.  As of this date, 5 infant deaths had occurred, all were less than 3 months old.  http://www.cdph.ca.gov/Pages/NR10-041.aspx  The website looks pretty official to me.

It would be my guess that the infants contracted the disease from family members who were ill.  Typically, the first DPT shot is given at 2 months of age.  A San Diego infant died at one month of age, so vaccination would not have occurred regardless of the parents' view on immunizations in general.  What has happened is the "herd immunity" has been reduced.  If the children in the family older than 2 had been vaccinated, and the adults in the family had been vaccinated, and all the other people who might have been near the infant had been vaccinated, no one would have had the disease to give to the infant(s).

Luminon wrote:

Here I mean two things. Firstly, cultivating the diseases and vaccinating people sort of keeps the disease around, for protective purposes. Secondly, my information is that the problem is also in form of burial. For countless ages people were buried into soil and all their germs with them. By now, soil is pretty much infected and it gets back into food. The solution is in not burying people into soil for several centuries, but cremating them. Hygiene is the proverbial half of health.

If vaccinating people "sort of keeps the disease" around, how did vaccinations manage to eradicate smallpox in the wild?

"Smallpox was declared officially eradicated from the world in 1980. Known live smallpox is kept at the CDC in Atlanta and a state research center in Novosibirsk, Russia. The last known case of naturally occurring smallpox occurred in 1977."

http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=1

Luminon wrote:

Yes, they would be alive and maybe healthy, if SIDS wouldn't get to them first, or allergies, autism, astma, and other a-words. I'd personally wait with the child for 2 years before vaccination, so the immunity system will be more prepared and more able to handle everything. These results from Japan are very significant. Until then, the children may be at risk, but I have my methods how to help immunity system and defeat any infection. The only problem is, that some doctors are slow to catch up with that.

I'm not a mortal enemy of vaccination, I just don't think that market will solve everything. I'd like to see shift of health-related activity from pharmacologic corporations and doctors to parents, from commercial subjects to non-commercial.

It's also a compromise. For example, if people could drive only 20 km/h, nobody would ever get hurt in traffic, but nobody would get anywhere in time. So it is with vaccination, too early it causes many worries among doctors and parents as for wide variety of mental and physical problems. And too lately it leaves the child dangerously unprotected for some time.

As near as anyone can tell, SIDS is not caused by vaccinations:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/sids_faq.html

Quote:

Institute of Medicine. Immunization Safety Review: Vaccinations and Sudden Unexpected Death in InfancyExternal Web Site Icon (March 2003)

Jonville-Béra AP, Autret-Leca E, Barbeillon F, Paris-Llado J; French Reference Centers for SIDS. Sudden unexpected death in infants under three months of age and vaccination status: a case-control study.External Web Site Icon British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2001;51(3):271–276.

Niu MT, Salive ME, Ellenberg SS. Neonatal deaths after hepatitis B vaccine.External Web Site Icon Archives of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine 1999;153:1279–1282.

Silvers LE, Ellenberg SS, Wise RP, Varricchio FE, Mootrey GT, Salive ME. The epidemiology of fatalities reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System 1990–1997.External Web Site Icon Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety2001;10(4):279–285.

Silvers LE, Varricchio FE, Ellenberg SS, Krueger CL, Wise RP, Salive ME. Pediatric deaths reported after vaccination: the utility of information obtained from parents. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2002;22(3):170–176.

Vennemann MM, Butterfass-Bahloul T, Jorch G, Brinkmann B, Findeisen M, Sauerland C, Bajanowski T, Mitchell EA; GeSID Group. Sudden infant death syndrome: no increased risk after immunisation.External Web Site Icon Vaccine 2007;25(2):336–340.

Now as for asthma, allergies, autism.....

We know that there is no correlation between autism and vaccinations.  My personal experience was when I met two little girls.  Both were autistic.  One had had vaccinations.  The other had never had any vaccinations.  If vaccinations caused autism, then the second little girl should not have been autistic.  She was not only autistic, she had ADHD as well.  She was more autistic than the little girl who had had vaccinations.  But here is a website on the subject with more authority than I have:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/Autism/Index.html

Quote:

McMahon AW, Iskander JK, Haber P, Braun MM, Ball R. Inactivated influenza vaccine (IIV) in children < 2 years of age: Examination of selected adverse events reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) after thimerosal-free or thimerosal-containing vaccine.External Web Site Icon Vaccine 2008;26(3):427–429.

Hornig M, Briese T, Buie T, Bauman ML, Lauwers G, et al. (2008) Lack of Association between Measles Virus Vaccine and Autism with Enteropathy: A Case-Control Study.External Web Site Icon PLoS ONE 3(9): e3140. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0003140

DeStefano F, Bhasin TK, Thompson WW, Yeargin-Allsopp M, Boyle C (2004) Age at first measles-mumps-rubella vaccination in children with autism and school-matched control subjects: a population-based study in metropolitan Atlanta. Pediatrics 113: 259–266. FIND THIS ARTICLE ONLINEExternal Web Site Icon

Mandell DS, Thompson WW, Weintraub ES, Destefano F, Blank MB. Trends in diagnosis rates for autism and ADHD at hospital discharge in the context of other psychiatric diagnoses.External Web Site Icon Psychiatr Serv. 2005 Jan;56(1):56-62.

Allergies and asthma:   Vitamin D deficiency?  http://allergies.about.com/od/lungallergies/a/vitamindasthma.htm   Air pollution?  http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=17112   Genetics?  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/09/980929111523.htm   Too clean?  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7589193/Excessive-cleanliness-to-blame-for-allergy-rise.html   Vaccinations as well?  Who knows.  If I had had a choice between nearly dying of rubeola when I was 7 and having the MMR vaccine, I'd have taken the vaccine.  I am old enough that I remember the polio vaccine first becoming available.  We all lined up at the National Guard center in my home town, and my dad stood there and watched to be sure we all chewed and swallowed our sugar cubes.  He had other family members who had polio.  MMR wasn't around until my children were older.  I've never had diptheria, tetanus or pertussis for which I am profoundly grateful to the vaccines.  I have had chickenpox, rubeola, rubella, and mumps - and I could have cheerfully skipped the experience.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Skyzersdad wrote:This is my

Skyzersdad wrote:

This is my first post so by way of introduction - I worked in public health in the U.S. for over eleven years.

Hello, and thanks for the informative post.

I see you've already met one of our resident conspiracy theorists here at RRS.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
It's not surprising that

It's not surprising that Luminon buys into the anti-vaccination conspiracy shit, although it is disappointing; I thought perhaps he did have some ethical standards for how low he would go- apparently not.

It is rightly criminal to not vaccinate one's children, and moreover the children should really be removed from that parent's custody and put into state child care.  Parents who do not believe in medicine should not be parents- it's reckless endangerment to their own children, and to the other children who rely on the herd immunity vaccinations provide.  A simple fine is woefully inadequate, as it does not address the issue.

I am not a supporter of free speech over public welfare and human life.  People who spread anti-vaccination paranoia are a danger to the public and are murderers of children- it's worse than shouting "BOMB!" on a plane, or "FIRE!" in a crowded theater. 

These conspiracy theory writers and those who spread their panic should be imprisoned and cut off from the outside world.  Or if they actually believe the fear they're peddling, and this is supremely generous, they should perhaps have the option to be sent to a third world country to learn reality first hand (at their own expense) instead of being locked up for the rest of their lives- it's unlikely it would work, seeing how delusional most of these people are, but it might be worth a try.

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Welcome to the site.

Thanks.  I have been lurking for a while.  I try not to post unless I know something about the subject.  Public health is one of my hot button topics that I do know a thing or two about.

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: Skyzersdad

Kapkao wrote:

Skyzersdad wrote:

This is my first post so by way of introduction - I worked in public health in the U.S. for over eleven years.

Hello, and thanks for the informative post.

I see you've already met one of our resident conspiracy theorists here at RRS.

Thanks, I usually try not to get into it with the conspiracy types, but this is one subject I couldn't leave alone.  In many cases it is just ignorance and accurate information is the fix.  For those who are delusional, there is no fix and I don't see any use in going there.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Skyzersdad wrote:Don't drink

Skyzersdad wrote:
Don't drink this stuff!!!  Acidified sodium chlorite produces chlorine dioxide.  This is an industrial bleach and can cause methmoglobanemia, thyroid damage, renal failure and reduced T4 counts in the blood.  None of the claims made for it are substantiated in the literature and the stuff is toxic.  It is used to bleach fabrics, paper, and to disinfect municipal water supplies.  It is not safe to take internally at the levels the promoters of it suggest.  The residual level needed to treat water systems is 0.25 parts per million.  If you can smell chlorine in your water out of the tap, it is probably about there.

Yes, that's about the recommended dose, compared to the body mass. You know, we drink almost homeopathic amounts of it. And yet, it's very effective. And yet, it's very safe. It is well demonstrated on the fact, that healthy human cells tolerate chlorine dioxide, so do symbiotic bacteries, but parasites of all kinds are very quickly destroyed by it. The answer is perhaps in the fact, that some immunity cells use chlorine dioxide as their weapon of choice. So we are evolutionarily adapted to withstand it in reasonable amounts. It is an oxidant, but it is very weak oxidant compared to other oxidants, just about right to destroy that pesky world's number 1 disease (malaria) in 4 hours.  The only problem is, that chlorine dioxide decomposes very quickly, less than 2 hours on water and salt, so our own immunity cells have very limited supplies of it.

You know, just about every substance in large amount can kill you. For example, water poisoning has it's victims. But even some very poisonous substances in small amounts are used as medicine. It is simply a question of proportion. Now, let's imagine for a while that me and thousands of other people are sensible enough to use it as the instructions say.
After more than year of regular dosage I feel fine. In fact, there is whole online national community of people who use it on themselves and their animals, and they say nothing but praise, where doctors gave up. It looks like you've got wrong information about some extremely high amounts and concentrations of chlorine dioxide, that nobody really drinks. And I'd like to know who's spreading these exaggerated misinformations and under what intention. But you're not gonna scare me, as long as there's nothing happening that would support what you say. You don't want me believing in internet claims, right?

If you're still open-minded enough to examine some scientific data on this, have a look. http://mmsmedicalresearch.com/

Skyzersdad wrote:
Maybe their is a better way. Germ theory does not say germs cause diseases.  Germ theory says that for every specific infectious disease, there is an identifiable organism (or virus) that can transmit the illness to another person.  No organism = no illness.  Yes, you can have the organism present and be non-symptomatic and still transmit the illness.  See Typhoid Mary for one of the better known instances.  Promoting the health of the immune system normally promotes better health responses to illness.  But, not always.  The 1918 Flu and the Hanta Virus outbreaks in the Southwestern United States killed primarily healthy young adults because their immune systems "over reacted" to the virus.  The result was their lungs filled up with plasma and they suffocated in their own fluids.  Older and younger victims with slower and less responsive immune systems weathered the disease just fine.  Boosting the immune system can turn non lethal diseases into killers.  Over active immune systems are also implicated in the occurrence of autoimmune diseases like diabetes, MS, rumatoid arthritis and others.  No treat there.
OK, so germ theory is pretty versatile. So is immunity system. I'm amazed how it may overreact, or tolerate diseases, or sometimes work just fine. That is what the vaccines do, I guess, informing the immunity system.

Coming to think about it more, it's possible that many health problems like hyperactivity or autism are results of general environmental pollution, rather that vaccination. Vaccine might contribute to the burden of organism, but not vaccinating isn't a complete solution. There are many toxins in environment which our ancestors didn't have to deal with and which can now be found even in unborn babies. Btw, I still want someone to address the Japan's world's greatest decline in infant mortality after they moved the vaccinations on 2 years of age, in 1975.

I am very confident that acidified sodium chlorite is very much on topic here. Because as the studies say, it destroys pathogens which are then left to the immunity system as a sort of vaccine. It also clears all sediments including heavy metals and, voila! Overcomes all resistance to vaccines and antibiotics. All that without noticeably harming human cells, even after 10 or more years of frequent use. Yes, there are risks and limitations as with every medical technique, but they are known, anticipated and easily prevented.

Skyzersdad wrote:

Thanks, I usually try not to get into it with the conspiracy types, but this is one subject I couldn't leave alone.  In many cases it is just ignorance and accurate information is the fix.  For those who are delusional, there is no fix and I don't see any use in going there.

Me, conspirational? I know that government, corporations and military want only our good! Don't let them take it. Smiling

I'm just an empiricist, for the most part. People sometimes accuse me of believing in bigfoot, moth man or Loch Ness monster, but I've never really empirically observed anything like that. I'm pretty confident in things I observed hundred or thousand times or more, as anyone else would be.

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Yes, that's

Luminon wrote:

Yes, that's about the recommended dose, compared to the body mass. You know, we drink almost homeopathic amounts of it. And yet, it's very effective. And yet, it's very safe. It is well demonstrated on the fact, that healthy human cells tolerate chlorine dioxide, so do symbiotic bacteries, but parasites of all kinds are very quickly destroyed by it. The answer is perhaps in the fact, that some immunity cells use chlorine dioxide as their weapon of choice. So we are evolutionarily adapted to withstand it in reasonable amounts. It is an oxidant, but it is very weak oxidant compared to other oxidants, just about right to destroy that pesky world's number 1 disease (malaria) in 4 hours.  The only problem is, that chlorine dioxide decomposes very quickly, less than 2 hours on water and salt, so our own immunity cells have very limited supplies of it.

The recommended dose is hitting the stomach in a concentration that is vastly in excess of 0.25 ppm for the amount of tissue exposed to it.  The fact that your body's response to it is to hurl is a clue.  The fact that it does break down quickly is what allows you to survive it.  Chlorine dioxide is a strong chemical oxidizer and it is not used by the immune system as part of the body's defense.  If you really want to use it, contact your water system and find out if they are using it to treat their water.  If they are, and you are drinking plenty of water, you are probably getting as much of it as your system can use.

Luminon wrote:
You know, just about every substance in large amount can kill you. For example, water poisoning has it's victims. But even some very poisonous substances in small amounts are used as medicine. It is simply a question of proportion. Now, let's imagine for a while that me and thousands of other people are sensible enough to use it as the instructions say.
After more than year of regular dosage I feel fine. In fact, there is whole online national community of people who use it on themselves and their animals, and they say nothing but praise, where doctors gave up. It looks like you've got wrong information about some extremely high amounts and concentrations of chlorine dioxide, that nobody really drinks. And I'd like to know who's spreading these exaggerated misinformations and under what intention. But you're not gonna scare me, as long as there's nothing happening that would support what you say. You don't want me believing in internet claims, right?

If you're still open-minded enough to examine some scientific data on this, have a look. http://mmsmedicalresearch.com/

This web site is put up by folks who are trying to sell you on using it.  While it does not mean the information is not true, it does make me just a wee tad suspicious that the info may not be "complete."  Believe me, from having worked in public health, if this stuff was some sort of miracle cure for malaria, the public health community and the WHO would be all over it.  All of the sites I can find that I can find that are not trying to sell the stuff, say that it doesn't work and isn't safe.

Luminon wrote:
OK, so germ theory is pretty versatile. So is immunity system. I'm amazed how it may overreact, or tolerate diseases, or sometimes work just fine. That is what the vaccines do, I guess, informing the immunity system.

Remember, the immune system is doing it's job if it keeps you alive long enough and in sufficient health to get your genes a couple of generations out.  And yes, that is what vaccines do - that is to inform the immune system.

Luminon wrote:
Coming to think about it more, it's possible that many health problems like hyperactivity or autism are results of general environmental pollution, rather that vaccination. Vaccine might contribute to the burden of organism, but not vaccinating isn't a complete solution. There are many toxins in environment which our ancestors didn't have to deal with and which can now be found even in unborn babies. Btw, I still want someone to address the Japan's world's greatest decline in infant mortality after they moved the vaccinations on 2 years of age, in 1975.

It could be that hyperactivity and autism are just a normal part of the human condition and we are just better (more sensitive to them) at recognizing them today.  Japan was making a lot of changes in their health system at the time.  Picking vaccinations out of the cloud of changes is a little risky.  Most likely to me is that any changes in infant mortality were likely to be a result of cumulative effects of all the changes.

Luminon wrote:
]Me, conspirational? I know that government, corporations and military want only our good! Don't let them take it. Smiling

You are preaching to the choir here when you question the motives of large profit motivated organizations.  However, it is important to remember that they are made up of people who are just as stupid as everyone else.  They are just not that smart.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Skyzersdad wrote:The

Skyzersdad wrote:

The recommended dose is hitting the stomach in a concentration that is vastly in excess of 0.25 ppm for the amount of tissue exposed to it.  The fact that your body's response to it is to hurl is a clue.  The fact that it does break down quickly is what allows you to survive it.  Chlorine dioxide is a strong chemical oxidizer and it is not used by the immune system as part of the body's defense.  If you really want to use it, contact your water system and find out if they are using it to treat their water.  If they are, and you are drinking plenty of water, you are probably getting as much of it as your system can use.

Well, the amount we drink doesn't irritate anything, not even mouth or tongue, much less stomach which is grown to handle the goddamn hydrochloric acid! As you know, gastritic acid is so strong, that it can seriously damage gullet, jaws and teeth if it gets there. Even the stomach itself, causing gastritic ulceritis. The recommended dose of acidified sodium chlorite is incomparably weaker than that. It doesn't corrode anything, it gets through stomach wall into blood stream, where it gets carried around like oxygen.

It's just a couple of 25% sodium chlorite drops with 5x more 10% citric acid, 3 minutes of waiting and 2 dcl of water. The taste and smell isn't very nice, but it's not chewing upon my tissues at all. Yeah, I found out that without water it's pretty corrosive, but diluted in 2 dcl of water it does no harm even with prolonged tissue exposure. This combination is an active ingredient of some mouth wash brands. I'd say that Coca Cola is much more corrosive than that.

No, I don't have here chemically treated water and even if yes, the blest gas molecules I crave would already be decomposed by the time the water would get to me through pipes.

Skyzersdad wrote:

This web site is put up by folks who are trying to sell you on using it.  While it does not mean the information is not true, it does make me just a wee tad suspicious that the info may not be "complete."  Believe me, from having worked in public health, if this stuff was some sort of miracle cure for malaria, the public health community and the WHO would be all over it.  All of the sites I can find that I can find that are not trying to sell the stuff, say that it doesn't work and isn't safe.

Well, of course they need money, packing and shipping stuff costs a lot. But they are not greedy, they don't hide the fact, that this is just ordinary sodium chlorite and citric acid. Both chemicals are very cheap and anyone can buy them for a few bucks. Rich Americans can buy the overpriced but comfy package, but we thrifty central-Europeans will buy industrial 25% sodium chlorite for a few cents per deciliter and handle it on our own. One deciliter lasts more than a year per person. People themselves decide how much to pay. For example, I paid nothing and other people pay dollar or two for year dose.

No, this is not a miracle cure, it just works like one. It is very powerful and therefore also dangerous if handled improperly. Those who pay no attention to published instructions may get very sick. The problem is not toxicity of chlorine dioxide, this is insigificant in concentrations we take it, but in toxicity of our own bodily waste. Chlorine dioxide is carried by red blood cells and immediately starts destroying pathogens. Too much of dead pathogens in your blood stream may mean the worst hangover of your life. Fortunately there are very simple rules which will prevent any problems.

Skyzersdad wrote:
It could be that hyperactivity and autism are just a normal part of the human condition and we are just better (more sensitive to them) at recognizing them today.  Japan was making a lot of changes in their health system at the time.  Picking vaccinations out of the cloud of changes is a little risky.  Most likely to me is that any changes in infant mortality were likely to be a result of cumulative effects of all the changes.
What changes do you mean? I wonder if my country could learn something from them.

As for hyperactivity and so on, it's not just that. It's also things like allergy. I live in a village. Generations of people here were farming, handling animals and hay, and things like allergies on grass, pollen or hay fever were absolutely unthinkable. Old people don't remember that anyone would be unable to join them with fieldwork for such a health reasons. It's really weird.

Skyzersdad wrote:

You are preaching to the choir here when you question the motives of large profit motivated organizations.  However, it is important to remember that they are made up of people who are just as stupid as everyone else.  They are just not that smart.

You know, a human is smart, but people are stupid. The problems we have arise from smart but selfish individuals and from collective stupidity. You know, "conspirations" are very common. They are called corruption, cartels, frauds, and so on. My country is full of such crimes and local people sort of got used to it, we see corruption behind everything. For example, our highways are the most expensive in the world, because builders and employers conspire together, build expensively for money of tax payers and then split the profit. It is very easy for me to imagine that smart but selfish individuals can be found in any institution.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Skyzersdad wrote:Thanks, I

Skyzersdad wrote:
Thanks, I usually try not to get into it with the conspiracy types, but this is one subject I couldn't leave alone.  In many cases it is just ignorance and accurate information is the fix.

IMO all human-animals are delusional. It's simply a question of how deeply in error their judgment of reality is -with some units//individuals//people being more ridiculously at odds with reason than others. I usually refer to this as the "Psychosis of Subjectivity"; and believe me, it does mimic psychosis at some extremes.

Quote:
For those who are delusional, there is no fix and I don't see any use in going there.

Across much of Developed Europe there is a near-scandalous distrust of both Government and Big Pharma (big business in general, for that matter)

As to whether it's a just delusion or just a bunch of proletariats becoming highly distrustful of the status quo in Europe... that remains to be seen.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote: It's not

Blake wrote:

It's not surprising that Luminon buys into the anti-vaccination conspiracy shit, although it is disappointing; I thought perhaps he did have some ethical standards for how low he would go- apparently not.

It is rightly criminal to not vaccinate one's children, and moreover the children should really be removed from that parent's custody and put into state child care.  Parents who do not believe in medicine should not be parents- it's reckless endangerment to their own children, and to the other children who rely on the herd immunity vaccinations provide.  A simple fine is woefully inadequate, as it does not address the issue.

True, but vaccinations should never be forced on someone -child or otherwise- except in cases of genuinely, near-universally life threatening diseases -like Foot and Mouth, or Smallpox for example. And even then, fighting off some viral diseases is actually quite trivial (no vaccinations, even!), IF you know what you are doing -namely, extracting pus/fluid, pathogenic discharge from someone, injecting into the CORRECT fatty area between the THUMB and INDEX finger -the one away from blood vessels-, and inject pathogenic material there.

Inoculations- working nearly two centuries before vaccinations.

I believe 'forced vaccinations', esp. in cases of non-life-threatening pathogens, weaken the human immune system (theoretically by denying it pathogen 'target practice')

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline
This might be of

This might be of interest

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2010/08/fda_miracle_mineral_solution_m.html

I repeat my advice.  Don't drink this stuff.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:I'd personally

Luminon wrote:
I'd personally wait with the child for 2 years before vaccination, so the immunity system will be more prepared and more able to handle everything.

I formally nominate that as the most douchetacular sentence ever written.

The whole point to vaccinations is to give the immune system some target practice before anything real gets to it. The longer you wait, the greater the risk of some bad thing happening.

Kapkao wrote:
True, but vaccinations should never be forced on someone -child or otherwise- except in cases of genuinely, near-universally life threatening diseases -like Foot and Mouth, or Smallpox for example.

You, on the other hand, only qualify for the bronze medal.

Did you know that smallpox is the only disease that has been removed from the planet? That is right, nobody needs that vaccine because it is impossible to get. Well, apparently it may still exist in germ warfare labs but that is hardly a risk worthy of vaccination unless you happen to work in one.

Next up is Dracunculiasis, a parasitic infection that only infects humans and only those humans who drink infected water. If we can get people in that part of Africa where it exists to only drink clean water for a couple of years, that too can be removed from the planet.

Blake wrote:

Blake, check the quote in my sig. There is simply no level to which luminon will not go if it supports his agenda.

Skyzersdad wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:
Welcome to the site.

Thanks. I have been lurking for a while. I try not to post unless I know something about the subject. Public health is one of my hot button topics that I do know a thing or two about.

Yah, pull up a chair and grab a cold one. We are only mildly radioactive and even then only because of the potassium 40.

Apart from commenting, I will also say that I used to work for my local hospital, so vaccinations were mandatory. I was on the staff of the psychiatry department so it probably was not really necessary apart from the fact that everyone had them. Even so, I had them and never even a sniffle.

That actually did have a benefit outside of the medical one. Several years ago, my state passed a mandatory vaccination law for anyone to register for college. Since I am an olde pharte, my public school records are long gone but my former employer was able to establish that I was safe to be in the same room with.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
You, on the other hand, only qualify for the bronze medal.

Did you know that smallpox is the only disease that has been removed from the planet? That is right, nobody needs that vaccine because it is impossible to get. Well, apparently it may still exist in germ warfare labs but that is hardly a risk worthy of vaccination unless you happen to work in one.

Next up is Dracunculiasis, a parasitic infection that only infects humans and only those humans who drink infected water. If we can get people in that part of Africa where it exists to only drink clean water for a couple of years, that too can be removed from the planet.

It's nice to see you are back to your usual feistiness -when you backed out of my response in "is the Singularity near?" after I explained to you that qubits could lend nanomachines the (potential) computing power to replicate on their own without instruction from an external source (like human-animal robotics scientists), I was left feeling hollow, and unsatisfied.

However, you may want to save the gold medal of "douchetacularity" for yourself, because...

Quote:
Did you know that smallpox is the only disease that has been removed from the planet?

Yes, junior; it was eradicated in east Africa (not sure where) in the late 70s... 76 iirc, and people all over the world (at least where there was recorded Smallpox exposure) received vaccinations for them until that point in time.

Inoculations also worked, a century or so even before human-animal vermin knew a damn thing about rDNA or 'dead' viral bodies or anything similar.

Quote:

This is why you've earned gold in douche-iness, Chumley.

Drancunculus, aka Guinea Worms, is a nematode-animal that infects human-animal-vermin by way of ingesting water contaminated with Cyclops-type copepods -a microscopic crustacean-animal- that carries the first parasitic stage of the worm.

It can not be dealt with via vaccines. It is almost exclusively dealt with prevention.

Oddly enough, the one thing you did get correct was the fact that there are no nonhuman-animal hosts.

Kthxtryagain, bye!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Trying for the silver medal

Trying for the silver medal are we? Rest assured that it is reserved for a functional douche bag.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Trying for the silver medal are we? Rest assured that it is reserved for a functional douche bag.

Well, no need to try for gold; you already stole that chance from me you shameless bastard. You even stole the opportunity from Luminon. Man... your audacious douchebaggery knows no bounds.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

I formally nominate that as the most douchetacular sentence ever written.

The whole point to vaccinations is to give the immune system some target practice before anything real gets to it. The longer you wait, the greater the risk of some bad thing happening.

I'd rather give immune system target practice on pathogens, than give pathogens target practice on immune system. I suspect that vaccination of newborn children is way too big attack on completely unprepared immunity system. The body is just setting up on normal life mode and interrupting that process with vaccination may be risky.  The method of vaccination itself is rather unnatural, it gives a shot right into blood stream. Normally the pathogens come in small amounts through skin (which has protective acidic cover) or through guardposts of tonsils. I think the doses are too big, the time is too early and the method is unnatural and does not properly stimulate immunity system, it rather ambushes it unprepared from within the body. That's my opinion.

Blake, check the quote in my sig. There is simply no level to which luminon will not go if it supports his agenda.
There is one level, where I probably won't go anywhere soon, the level of million dollar funds, professional researches, hi-tech equipment and prestigious journals. That level is already occupied.

Skyzersdad wrote:

This might be of interest

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2010/08/fda_miracle_mineral_solution_m.html

I repeat my advice.  Don't drink this stuff.

You have to understand that this article is so simplistic, that it becomes misleading. The article only contains partial information out of context. Do your own research, as I did.

The article describes what happens if you take too much of it for the first time, basically lesser or greater Herxheimer reaction. It is not caused by MMS, but by the dead pathogens. For the first time there is usually very much of this waste, unless you're healthy living vegetarian. Removing it must be done very carefully and slowly, so the body has time to detoxify and it won't trigger Herxheimer reaction. Once this is finished, MMS is harmless even in much bigger doses. I have this tried on my own guts and other people's guts and this is how it always works.

The actual chlorine dioxide is produced in small amounts within the one or more drops of acidified sodium chlorite. Calling this trace content "industrial bleach" is like calling winter air "nitrogen freezer". FDA just scares people.

Are these reports of nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and so on, real? Yeah, they are. This is exactly what happens when people use it incorrectly. It's a powerful stuff and dangerous if mishandled. Fortunately it's only dangerous to first-time users who are not yet detoxified. It's our own share of bacteria, viruses and bodily sediments that endangers us, not MMS. If you noticed, nobody reported any kidney or thyroid gland damage, because the only problem here is Herxheimer reaction of careless first-time users. I'm all for careful and appropriate use of any potentially dangerous equipment we have, from kitchen knives and acetylene welders to automobiles and personal weapons. MMS is not more dangerous than these things. The difference is, that MMS is a new thing and people are not yet used to it. This is not a kindergarten, this is a forum of grownup people of various background. We should know that even very useful equipment can be dangerous in hands of amateurs.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll show YOU how to douche up a thread!

Also, in my personal defiance of alarmist, fear-mongering health agencies across the globe, I also suggest that people also try a certain

other

"miracle mineral"  : Chrysolite. Even the Hellenistic Greeks used this stuff! Charlemagne had tablecloths made of Chrysolite!

What you do is; you round LOTs of this shit up, you put it in every airvent, water treatment facility, nursery, cafeteria, farm, pasture and office building across the globe, you let it sit there, until everyone has fucking breathed in that Magical Chrysolite Air™ for WEEKS on end, and after a few years

you laugh your ass off as everyone and their dog begin to die because of their lungs doing weird things, for some reason.

(It's a shame Asb... I mean Chrysolite is banned in so many parts of the world. I could, like, start a massive, superdeadly eugenics experiment in which the first human lineage to develop immunity to this particular type of underground nastiness gets to be the sole inheritors of the world... whatever it's worth afterwords, and all.)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao,Chrysotile or

Kapkao,

Chrysotile or chrysolite?  Are these not different minerals?

I disagree that non-lethal viruses should not be vaccinated against; the more prevalent highly contagious viruses are, the more chance they have to mutate into something nastier.  Also, otherwise relatively benign viruses can still cause cancer by mucking with our cells' DNA- what doesn't kill you *doesn't* necessarily make you stronger.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake

Blake wrote:

Kapkao,

Chrysotile or chrysolite?  Are these not different minerals?

Former, but generally AKA "White asbestos", the mineral fabric that can be cleaned by fire, and shouldn't generally be breathed around, unless... well... y'know.

I initially misread the word, and transposed a letter. But it was also the "Miracle Mineral" of Classical Mediterranean (and Fertile Crescent) culture.

Quote:
I disagree that non-lethal viruses should not be vaccinated against; the more prevalent highly contagious viruses are, the more chance they have to mutate into something nastier.

mmmmmmm What might the common cold mutate into, and how do we vaccinate against that?

Granted, Common Cold is an extreme example of how silly this "Mandatory (Universal?) Vaccination" program you seem to be recommending might easily become. It's simply one virus that simply should be allowed to take it's course.

There's also Flu vaccine. The last time I took a Flu vac shot, I ended up in the hospital from becoming unresponsive with an insulin overdose. Did I take too much insulin for what I was eating that Thanksgiving (2007)? No, not really. Did the shot trigger a nasty reaction, possibly even a cytokine storm which I did not necessarily need? Probably.

Vaccinations are wonderful when you need them; not-so wonderful when you don't. (Like with annual Flu-vacs)

Quote:
Also, otherwise relatively benign viruses can still cause cancer by mucking with our cells' DNA- what doesn't kill you *doesn't* necessarily make you stronger.

Yes. Some Viruses reproduce under what is known as the lysogenic cycle, which means they alter the DNA of otherwise healthy tissue. Marquis seems to be of the opinion that this is somehow an important catalyst for evolution (retroviral rDNA changes have, after all, been made into a partial cure for Type I Diabetes, but only for lab rats); I'm going to simply roll my eyes and cross my fingers about that.

No one needs yearly flu vac shots. Period. Those of us with chronic, life-threatening metabolism-altering disease need them even less than "not at all" -they easily put us a few inches closer to death without even being designed to!

If a Spanish Flu-type mutation comes about cleaning out entire cities and putting entire families under grave-marker, than YES

mandatory vaccination would make sense. Anything not life threatening? No, it does not necessitate "mandatory vaccination". At all. Vaccinations themselves have interesting consequences. They do weird things with human bodies, often. (Possibly representing a good part of the reason vaccine-skeptics like Luminon have come about and started questioning common commercial practices by what is known as "Big Pharma" in most of the english-speaking world. I have lots and lots of European and American big pharma skeptics in my Facebook friends-list.)

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:mmmmmmm What

Kapkao wrote:

mmmmmmm What might the common cold mutate into, and how do we vaccinate against that?

We can't stop what it will mutate into until it mutates into it.  However, reducing the overall volume of this giant viral cesspool is crucial to reducing the incidence of new diseases emerging.

Of course, there are other ways to shrink the size of the viral gene pool, such as better isolating populations and better isolating individuals through sanitation.  It's (unfortunately) why we shouldn't be keeping monkeys as pets- excellent vectors for viral apocalypse.

Kapkao wrote:

There's also Flu vaccine. The last time I took a Flu vac shot, I ended up in the hospital from becoming unresponsive with an insulin overdose. Did I take too much insulin for what I was eating that Thanksgiving (2007)? No, not really. Did the shot trigger a nasty reaction, possibly even a cytokine storm which I did not necessarily need? Probably

Vaccinations are wonderful when you need them; not-so wonderful when you don't. (Like with annual Flu-vacs)

Viruses are controlled through herd immunity, which is why it's alright if there are a few people with legitimate reasons not to receive the vaccine (such as diabetics).

Flu shots are barely useful for the children and elderly who need them more simply because nobody else gets them.  Those who need to be getting the shots are those who are moving around.

I don't need a flu shot personally- I can recover fine, and I probably won't even feel sick- but I could kill somebody by acting as a vector to spread the disease.

Quote:
Yes. Some Viruses reproduce under what is known as the lysogenic cycle, which means they alter the DNA of otherwise healthy tissue. Marquis seems to be of the opinion that this is somehow an important catalyst for evolution

Not just that DNA which has been 'deliberately' incorporated into ours, but other bits as well, could potentially be sources of damage (e.g. a fail lytic cycle).

It's extremely likely that viral DNA has been an important source of genetic information in our evolution.  Personally, though, I'm topped off on evolution for the time being, and don't need my cells evolving independently right now.

Healthy individuals don't absolutely need flu shots, but by getting them, those healthy individuals are protecting those who are less healthy to whom they may spread the viruses they catch. 

I'm not convinced either that the health consequences of vaccines (very minor) aren't more than worth the reduction in cancer risk and the damage the virus would do (whether we notice it or not). 

It also gives our immune systems something to focus on creating antibodies against and possibly prevents them from going rogue- it could be some good training without the potential consequences of a real infection.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote: Viruses are

Blake wrote:

Viruses are controlled through herd immunity, which is why it's alright if there are a few people with legitimate reasons not to receive the vaccine (such as diabetics).

Flu shots are barely useful for the children and elderly who need them more simply because nobody else gets them.  Those who need to be getting the shots are those who are moving around.

I got the flu when I was 12; I got 1 week's worth of off time (which I enjoyed anyhow) and I spent 4 days in bed next to a humidifier. If it had happened while I was younger? Oh even more time off, same fever level, more humidity needed to combat the decongestant/antihistamine dryness.

Quote:
I don't need a flu shot personally- I can recover fine, and I probably won't even feel sick- but I could kill somebody by acting as a vector to spread the disease.

Who could you kill? The terminally ill? Immuno-compromised individuals who are barely hanging on to life by threads, as it is? Organ donation recipients?

The latter example may yet be taken care of by stem cell research, anyhow. The others? A good 103°F-107°F fever would, arguably just ease them along in their already challenging journey to the grave. (I don't know what the number looks like in SI units, but the brain shuts off at 107°F.)

Quote:

Not just that DNA which has been 'deliberately' incorporated into ours, but other bits as well, could potentially be sources of damage (e.g. a fail lytic cycle).

It's extremely likely that viral DNA has been an important source of genetic information in our evolution.  Personally, though, I'm topped off on evolution for the time being, and don't need my cells evolving independently right now.

I don't know what a "fail lytic cycle" is. (An explanation is always welcome)

By the only example you've given (cancer), you don't need your tissue genetics altered when it involves altering the growth limitation factors in most animal cells.

Quote:
I'm not convinced either that the health consequences of vaccines (very minor) aren't more than worth the reduction in cancer risk and the damage the virus would do (whether we notice it or not).

I'm not convinced either, because the general idea now seems to have shifted towards a "Eradicate all viruses that cause bad health"-type mandate -and a likely futile one, at best.

It would be nice to have had a cure for HIV, Hepatitis C, Herpes, VD, Influenza, Pox-type illness, and whatever the hell else has a virus as a cause, unfortunately... we are neither the sole carriers of viral pathogens, nor does all viral disease make itself apparent to host organism (via symptoms) easily.

Quote:
It also gives our immune systems something to focus on creating antibodies against and possibly prevents them from going rogue- it could be some good training without the potential consequences of a real infection.

Define rogue. Cytokine storm-causing, perhaps? Probably.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: Who could you

Kapkao wrote:

Who could you kill? The terminally ill? Immuno-compromised individuals who are barely hanging on to life by threads, as it is?

Yes, AKA very old people.

Quote:

I don't know what a "fail lytic cycle" is. (An explanation is always welcome)

By the only example you've given (cancer), you don't need your tissue genetics altered when it involves altering the growth limitation factors in most animal cells.

Yes, you only need damage to the right place; which is a common consequence of having one's DNA mucked with.  A "fail lytic cycle" would be one that didn't quite work- a virus that damaged but did not destroy a cell.  Hypothetically, also a source of cell damage that could lead to cancer.  Of course, most of that is based on correlation.

Quote:
I'm not convinced either, because the general idea now seems to have shifted towards a "Eradicate all viruses that cause bad health"-type mandate -and a likely futile one, at best.

It would be nice to have had a cure for HIV, Hepatitis C, Herpes, VD, Influenza, Pox-type illness, and whatever the hell else has a virus as a cause, unfortunately... we are neither the sole carriers of viral pathogens, nor does all viral disease make itself apparent to host organism (via symptoms) easily.

Underline mine; which is precisely why it's a good idea to nip these in the bud whether we know somebody has it or not.

Controlling viruses is not entirely futile- we have largely domesticated or eliminated the animals that we live with in large cities (the most important place to control viruses), and although less fluid exchange would probably do a better job of controlling viruses than vaccines, that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Quote:

Define rogue. Cytokine storm-causing, perhaps? Probably.

That might qualify, yes.  It's an interesting theory or auto-immune diseases, anyway; whether there has actually been any increase (and why), however, is still questionable, so it's only a possibility.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:That might

Blake wrote:

That might qualify, yes.  It's an interesting theory or auto-immune diseases, anyway; whether there has actually been any increase (and why), however, is still questionable, so it's only a possibility.

This human is durable...

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another thing I also like on

Another thing I also like on MMS is, that it effectively replaces or complements vaccine and alternatively makes it safer to use. Chlorine dioxide is said to be the strongest germicidal agent known to mankind. The small amount of it generated in stomach is absorbed into blood stream and some blood cells are armed with this germ killer instead of oxygen. Then it destroys everything that immunity system would, if it would have the balls for it. The dumped dead remnants of germs keep the immunity system alert but not exhausted, removing them is not such a work as killing them first.

There is no way how bacteria, viruses and everything can be resistant to chlorine dioxide. It destroys them chemically, mutating a gene or two will not help. This really can end the hysteria around any new and old strains of viruses, if it's some kind of living critter chewing upon your body, MMS will take it out, no matter of it's brand new, shiny hyper-tuned genome.

Of course, it is necessary to take proper vitamins with that. Chlorine dioxide will decompose after a hour or two, so immunity system must be there in good shape 24 hours per day. Another necessity is alternating MMS with vitamin C. Vitamin C is antioxidant and it cancels itself out with chlorine dioxide, and yet it's very important for immunity system. So it's better to take it at night and MMS in the day. Fortunately it only applies to artificial vitamin C, ascorbic acid. Fruit and vegetables cause no problem here. There is also the problem that MMS won't get everywhere in the body, this is why in heavier cases (like HIV) it's recommended to use with DMSO and apply dermally. You see, not all geeks are cybernetic. This is a health geek's dream and hypochondriac's best Christmas gift.

OK, I admit there was just one guy of dozens on forums who didn't like what MMS did to him. He was already sick all over from both various diseases and medicines he took on them, almost coming apart. Apparently, he almost died from cytokine storm. So in some cases it's a good idea to not stimulate the immunity system, if your body is so messy that the well-meaning white blood cells might mistake it for one big tumor.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: It would be

Kapkao wrote:

Just a little factoid - pertussis appears to only live in human respiratory tracts. 

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Pertussis

"Whooping cough or pertussis is caused by Bordetella pertussis, a Gram-negative, aerobic coccobacillus. Unlike B. bronchiseptica, B. pertussis is non-motile. There does not appear to be a zoonotic reservoir for B. pertussis—humans are its only host. A similar disease to whooping cough, but milder, is caused B. parapertussis (Finger and von Koenig 1996)."

It may be confusing as dogs are vaccinated for bordetella bronchiseptica - aka kennel cough.  What you get a vaccination for is bordetella pertussis.  So the only place you can get it is from a human who is infected.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Rubella

"Rubella normally is a mild disease, and one in which humans are the only known natural host (Breslow 2002)."

I've had Rubella.  I was 13 and my parents deliberately exposed my sister so she would have it as well.  They still had "measles parties" when I was in school.  All the girls who hadn't had rubella would go spend the night with the one who was sick.

And so on - some diseases have no other reservoir than humans, some are endemic in the environment.  Why risk infection from tetanus when you can prevent lockjaw?  Warning, pretty pictures:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

I'd think you would notice if you had tetanus.  I certainly noticed when I had rubella (3-day measles), rubeola (7-day measles {though I was sick for 6-8 weeks and I have permanent corneal scarring}), mumps, and chickenpox (I was only 5, I still remember).  I would rather have skipped the entire experience. 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Chlorine

Luminon wrote:

Chlorine dioxide is said to be the strongest germicidal agent known to mankind. The small amount of it generated in stomach is absorbed into blood stream and some blood cells are armed with this germ killer instead of oxygen.

Uh, I think I'll skip drinking bleach, thanks.  Yes, it is a good germicidal agent - when I'm bleaching the counter tops or bathroom fixtures.  "some blood cells are armed with this germ killer instead of oxygen" sounds very similar to carbon monoxide poisoning.  No, not worth the risk.

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline
In the U.S., an estimated

In the U.S., an estimated 25–50 million cases of the flu are currently reported each year — leading to 150,000 hospitalizations and 30,000–40,000 deaths yearly. If these figures were to be estimated incorporating the rest of the world, there would be an average of approximately 1 billion cases of flu, around 3–5 million cases of severe illness, and 300,000–500,000 deaths annually.  

http://www.flufacts.com/impact/statistics.aspx

Influenza is not a trivial disease.  In most years it tends to kill the very young and the elderly, but the reason everyone was getting hot about the H1N1 is that appears to be similar in the way it strikes to the 1918 influenza strain.  That one was fairly mild in its impacts on the young and elderly, but something about it caused the healthiest adults (ages 20 to 40) to have extreme immune reactions and their lungs filled up with fluid.  675,000 Americans died in a few months.  The mortality rate was 2.5% - normal for most influenza pandemics is <0.1%

http://www.stanford.edu/group/virus/uda/index.html

So, is influenza a non-lethal illness?  People get upset about the ~24,000 verified non - lethal reactions in the U.S. to all vaccines over the last 18 years when that is only a little over half the people who die each year from a single preventable disease.  You all do what you want.  I intend to get my flue shot when it comes available.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Kapkao wrote: It

cj wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Just a little factoid - pertussis appears to only live in human respiratory tracts. 

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Pertussis

"Whooping cough or pertussis is caused by Bordetella pertussis, a Gram-negative, aerobic coccobacillus. Unlike B. bronchiseptica, B. pertussis is non-motile. There does not appear to be a zoonotic reservoir for B. pertussis—humans are its only host. A similar disease to whooping cough, but milder, is caused B. parapertussis (Finger and von Koenig 1996)."

It may be confusing as dogs are vaccinated for bordetella bronchiseptica - aka kennel cough.  What you get a vaccination for is bordetella pertussis.  So the only place you can get it is from a human who is infected.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Rubella

"Rubella normally is a mild disease, and one in which humans are the only known natural host (Breslow 2002)."

I've had Rubella.  I was 13 and my parents deliberately exposed my sister so she would have it as well.  They still had "measles parties" when I was in school.  All the girls who hadn't had rubella would go spend the night with the one who was sick.

And so on - some diseases have no other reservoir than humans, some are endemic in the environment.  Why risk infection from tetanus when you can prevent lockjaw?  Warning, pretty pictures:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

I'd think you would notice if you had tetanus.  I certainly noticed when I had rubella (3-day measles), rubeola (7-day measles {though I was sick for 6-8 weeks and I have permanent corneal scarring}), mumps, and chickenpox (I was only 5, I still remember).  I would rather have skipped the entire experience.

3/4s of your post have nothing to with mine, or even viruses for that matter. I had smallpox when I was 6, and I itched like... well, probably in the same fashion you did. I also remember pulling circular scabs off my scalp and back.

Rubella... hmmm, never got it. From your own link "Symptoms are typically mild and an attack can pass unnoticed."

Rubeola... potentially deadly, but only in 1/500th of attacks.

There is vasodilation of the eyes with rubeola, so corneal damage wouldn't be surprising.