OT Messianic prophecies (where are they?)

faithnomore
atheist
User is offlineOffline
OT Messianic prophecies (where are they?)

I have been talking to some theists on another website.  I had mentioned that the OT prophecies of one Messianic coming, not two like the NT suggests.  They asked me where these verses are at and I can only remember a few passages.  It has been 15 years since I have put much time into studying the Bible.  Normally, I would research it but I won't have much spare time due to working 60 hours per week for the next couple of months  and other responsibilities.  I probably shouldn't have got involved in this discussion but I have already said something that I need to provide scripture to support.  Any help would be appreciated.

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. - Carl Sagan

Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion. - School Superintendent on "The Simpsons" episode #1

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
where does the NT suggest

where does the NT suggest two messiahs?

OT prophecies - Isaiah and Psalms are obvious starting points. Other instances occur in general eschatology eg Daniel, Zechariah, Ezekiel but you need to know what you're looking for. Other references are via typology but that's even more obscure. 

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jewish Messiah Prophecies

Faithnomore,

According to generally accepted Jewish beliefs these are some of the prophecies:

Isaiah 2, 11, 42; 59:2; Jeremiah 23, 30, 33; 48:47; 49:3; Ezekiel 38:1; Hosea 3:4-3:; and several more.

Visit Judaism 101 website at: http://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm

Also use a Hebrew version of the Bible called JPS 1917 found online at : http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm

Hope this helps.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:where does

freeminer wrote:

where does the NT suggest two messiahs?

OT prophecies - Isaiah and Psalms are obvious starting points. Other instances occur in general eschatology eg Daniel, Zechariah, Ezekiel but you need to know what you're looking for. Other references are via typology but that's even more obscure. 

The NT doesn't say there will be 2 messiahs only that he will come again which is clearly not what Jews believe. See the Judaism 101 website link in my last post for the differences.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.