I really am an atheist for all the wrong reasons.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
I really am an atheist for all the wrong reasons.

My biggest issue with Christians is not that they are following a lie and trying to force others to believe the lie, but because they rejected me ages ago even when I was still a Christian and I am now angry with them and wanting to attack what means the most to them. Now all the other good reasons are there too, but this is the top reason and what lead me to becoming an atheist in the first place.

There is a small part of me that wishes I was still a Christian. I was happy. Happier then what I am now. I'm angry, extremely bitter, full of nothing but hate towards most of the world, I find myself hating happy people more then I use to, especially if they are happy Christians, I am more like the bible's Devil then an atheist and I am getting older, I'm going nowhere in this life, I've become an even bigger outcast in my family then I already was and my co-workers and I have no one. I am all alone. I should be use to it, but when I had God, I didn't feel alone. And as far as love goes, a girl that I felt I had a real shot with dumped me for being an atheist. That's not the first time I've been rejected by Christian girls.

Are they wrong? Yes, but why does it matter? Why not just sell-out and wear that mask and be a fake? Those people seem pretty happy to me! Why not just be trendy and do what is popular?

Yeah, break out the violin...it's easy to make jokes when it's not your own problems you are facing So is where I am at...this pushing 30 slob in a messy apartment worth all of this all so I could know "the truth"? The answer: No. What is so great about the truth anyhow? Really? Why can't I just believe the half-truth like almost everyone else?

The next two examples may seem a little silly, but ignore the comedy of it and try to really pay attention to the message. There's a quote from the Miracle on 34th Street remake:

"I ask the court to judge which is worse: A lie that draws a smile or a truth that draws a tear."

Then there is that famous Simpsons episode where Lisa discovers the town founder is a myth. She considers telling everyone in town this and even thinks about showing proof, but decides against it because she sees how happy people are believing in the myth.

Now please...don't come on here telling me The Simpsons sucks or that the Miracle on 34th remake sucks or something like that and just look at the message and point I am trying to make here. I really am trying to have a serious chat here and I guess I've been debating with Christians too much because I can't help but suspect cheesy jokes and sarcasm to follow this thread.

I'd love to blame the atheists I use to debate with online for making me this way, but the seeds of all this were there long before I ever got hooked up with the net and maybe in due time, this would have happened but I do question if I could have become the more good side of me that is there in me somewhere if I had been Christian. I think there was a chance maybe. I mean, being atheist has helped me some, but perhaps just aging is what really helped me and I could have come to these conclusions even when I was a Christian. Who knows where I'd be if I was still Christian.

I know the real issue is within me. However, I am man enough to admit yes I am very weak and I needed God to be my crutch. Right now, I can't stand on my own two feet and I sometimes wish I still had God.

Having typed all that, is what you guys and me too...is what we are doing right? Why do we REALLY do it? It is really because we wanna see the violence stop? Or are some of us just bitter ex-Christians who had some very bad luck? It seems that is the case with most of us. At least with me. I see how much people love Jesus and it makes me jealous and I see how great their lives are, so I wanna attack their belief, not because I wanna help the world. Honestly, I have a "fuck the world" point of view for the most part. I attack their God because I want them to become as miserable as me. I wanna rip the smiles right off their faces.

I can admit that, that has been my driving force behind preaching all this stuff for three years now. I don't give a shit about changing the world. I just wanna hurt people and I wanna use what they love the most to do it and take it away.

This is the first time I have ever admitted it not only to a board full of strangers, but to myself.

But this thread believe it or not is not about me wanting help or advice.....

My point of this thread: Don't people have the right to be stupid and not be bothered with it? The bible is full of so much nonsense that can't we just post bible quotes that support what we believe and not attack the bible itself?

It's almost 4:00 AM where I'm at, it's been a rough few days, I'm not drunk, yet I feel it, so forgive me in advance if I've come across as a little crazy who rambled too much.

We atheists have a mark on ourselves in this world. I think gay people, black people in the 1960's south, etc....they were all born with their marks that made them "different", but I think they all really wish/wished they could be accepted and be among the norm. Yet we atheists actually mark ourselves to be different knowing full well what can be the results of that. And why?

Even all those angry teenagers who make themselves gothic and such....SOMETHING happened to them that made them that way. They were a victim of something. I don't think anyone wants to make themselves "different" without having a reason.

What is our reason? I know mine, but am I really the only atheist on here who can admit this? My atheists I come across are angry, sarcastic, and for people who don't believe in God....they spend A LOT of time talking about him. I agree there is no God, but why not just follow along to the bullshit so we can be happy? So *I* can be happy? I'll speak for myself.

I don't know...I'm rambling away like a drunk. Maybe if I didn't live in Texas and grew up around nothing but conservative redneck Christians both in my family and work place and heck, the whole area, I'd feel different instead of BEING different.....

A shrink....tried that before. They just tell me what I already know.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm getting the impression

I'm getting the impression that being an atheist in the US is verrrry different from being an atheist in Europe.

Most of my friends are christians and muslims, and they know I'm an atheist. We hang out, smile and laugh together without god ever coming up. I don't feel like an outcast, can't even imagine why I should. I've actually completely dismantled the faith of a few of my closest friends, not with anger or sarcasm but with simple arguments, and they absolutely do not hate me for it.

So I'm having some trouble relating to most of what you said there. The only Texas Atheists I know of are the guys and gals from the Atheist Experience, and they don't seem very angry and sarcastic either.

But you seem seriously unhappy, so if you think pretending to be a christian is going to help, then try it. You won't be the only one just going through the motions.

Anyway, I'm the wrong person to give you advice here, since for me it would be "the lie that draws a tear and the truth that draws a smile", but I still wish you all the best.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
To me... The only reason to

To me... The only reason to be an Atheist is because *THAT* is the conclusion one makes rationally because of science, and a lack of evidence on superstition's part...... It shouldn't have anything to do with seeing the inherent bullshit in religion... Those determinations simply become more obvious once one has embraced that little concept that we Atheists like to refer to as REALITY.  

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:My biggest issue with

Quote:

My biggest issue with Christians is not that they are following a lie and trying to force others to believe the lie, but because they rejected me ages ago even when I was still a Christian and I am now angry with them and wanting to attack what means the most to them. Now all the other good reasons are there too, but this is the top reason and what lead me to becoming an atheist in the first place.

well, at least you've admitted becoming an atheist for irrational reasons

Quote:
There is a small part of me that wishes I was still a Christian. I was happy. Happier then what I am now. I'm angry, extremely bitter, full of nothing but hate towards most of the world, I find myself hating happy people more then I use to, especially if they are happy Christians, I am more like the bible's Devil then an atheist and I am getting older, I'm going nowhere in this life, I've become an even bigger outcast in my family then I already was and my co-workers and I have no one. I am all alone. I should be use to it, but when I had God, I didn't feel alone. And as far as love goes, a girl that I felt I had a real shot with dumped me for being an atheist. That's not the first time I've been rejected by Christian girls.

you're in the right place - there'll be plenty of people here bent on spiritual/psychological hari-kari - they come here to commisserate!........it's a sorta foyer to Hell. Christians get dumped -I've been on both ends.

Quote:
Are they wrong? Yes, but why does it matter? Why not just sell-out and wear that mask and be a fake? Those people seem pretty happy to me! Why not just be trendy and do what is popular?

how would you know they're wrong - are you some sort of absolutist? It ain't popular in Europe .......or trendy - not a good reason.

Quote:
Yeah, break out the violin...it's easy to make jokes when it's not your own problems you are facing So is where I am at...this pushing 30 slob in a messy apartment worth all of this all so I could know "the truth"? The answer: No. What is so great about the truth anyhow? Really? Why can't I just believe the half-truth like almost everyone else?

in this context what would a "half truth" be........half a god? The trouble with truth is, we all need it.

Quote:
The next two examples may seem a little silly, but ignore the comedy of it and try to really pay attention to the message. There's a quote from the Miracle on 34th Street remake:

"I ask the court to judge which is worse: A lie that draws a smile or a truth that draws a tear."

Then there is that famous Simpsons episode where Lisa discovers the town founder is a myth. She considers telling everyone in town this and even thinks about showing proof, but decides against it because she sees how happy people are believing in the myth.

I think it may have been Freud who said, "there is no God but people behave better if they believe there is" It's not the best reason for believing!

Quote:
I know the real issue is within me. However, I am man enough to admit yes I am very weak and I needed God to be my crutch. Right now, I can't stand on my own two feet and I sometimes wish I still had God.

the man with two broken legs who refuses a crutch is a fool.

Quote:
Having typed all that, is what you guys and me too...is what we are doing right? Why do we REALLY do it? It is really because we wanna see the violence stop? Or are some of us just bitter ex-Christians who had some very bad luck? It seems that is the case with most of us. At least with me. I see how much people love Jesus and it makes me jealous and I see how great their lives are, so I wanna attack their belief, not because I wanna help the world. Honestly, I have a "fuck the world" point of view for the most part. I attack their God because I want them to become as miserable as me. I wanna rip the smiles right off their faces.

too much honesty won't look good on an atheist CV

Quote:
I can admit that, that has been my driving force behind preaching all this stuff for three years now. I don't give a shit about changing the world. I just wanna hurt people and I wanna use what they love the most to do it and take it away.

My point of this thread: Don't people have the right to be stupid and not be bothered with it? The bible is full of so much nonsense that can't we just post bible quotes that support what we believe and not attack the bible itself?

it does seem to me that persecuting the deluded is a touch irrational.......there must be more sensible things to spend time on.

Quote:
What is our reason? I know mine, but am I really the only atheist on here who can admit this? My atheists I come across are angry, sarcastic, and for people who don't believe in God....they spend A LOT of time talking about him. I agree there is no God, but why not just follow along to the bullshit so we can be happy? So *I* can be happy? I'll speak for myself.

most people cope by self- distraction  It doesn't work for people too bright to succumb to distraction......that's probably why most are here........as    Jackson Browns says, "cut it away". 

Quote:
I don't know...I'm rambling away like a drunk. Maybe if I didn't live in Texas and grew up around nothing but conservative redneck Christians both in my family and work place and heck, the whole area, I'd feel different instead of BEING different.....

judging Christianity by Christians is not a good idea.......as a world-view it takes hypocrisy as a given. 

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:The bible is

Zeeboe wrote:
The bible is full of so much nonsense that can't we just post bible quotes that support what we believe and not attack the bible itself?

Actually, there are quite a few people on this site who do exactly that.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:Christians

freeminer wrote:
Christians get dumped -I've been on both ends.

Doesn't have to be that way. I have a christian boyfriend. We've had some pretty heavy arguments about religion, but neither of us would ever consider breaking up over it. The idea alone just seems silly.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the crutch analogy.

I like the crutch analogy. It was an excellent example pitting atheism as a fallen state and god as a "crutch". How long will it hold weight when you know it's made of glass.

I was sad for a long time, I took meds and all and didn't know what the problem was. The shrink didn't know either but I finally figured out it was me trying to believe because everyone else did.

My only advice is common sense.

Put on a smile even if it's fake, given time it becomes real as people begin to accept that maybe you aren't so bad after all.

edit: and get a pet, they don't care about fairy tales either ><

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Doesn't have to be

Quote:
Doesn't have to be that way. I have a christian boyfriend.

no, and I'm not about to get all legalistic about it.

Quote:
We've had some pretty heavy arguments about religion, but neither of us would ever consider breaking up over it. The idea alone just seems silly.
it may seem silly now.......are you prepared for a lifetime of heavy arguments.........alternatively, when he leaves is he happy to leave you behind? Will you be praying together? Will the kids get Bible stories? 

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I like the crutch

Quote:
I like the crutch analogy. It was an excellent example pitting atheism as a fallen state and god as a "crutch". How long will it hold weight when you know it's made of glass.

I detest being deluded so I await the evidence with some bemusement!

Quote:
I was sad for a long time, I took meds and all and didn't know what the problem was. The shrink didn't know either but I finally figured out it was me trying to believe because everyone else did.

it was never a good idea.

Quote:
Put on a smile even if it's fake,

why not?......everyone else does!

Quote:
 given time it becomes real as people begin to accept that maybe you aren't so bad after all.

don't you care a little too much about what others think?.........and what's so "common" about sense?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:it may seem

freeminer wrote:
it may seem silly now.......are you prepared for a lifetime of heavy arguments.

They keep getting less and less heavy, actually. I think it's cause we don't try to avoid them, and we actually listen to each other.

freeminer wrote:
.......alternatively, when he leaves is he happy to leave you behind?

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean when he leaves for church and I don't come with ? He knew I was an atheist when he fell in love with me, so if that bothers him, he didn't think it through.

I'll ask him.

freeminer wrote:
Will you be praying together?

Nope, but we both like being happy together, and we both think that counts for something.

freeminer wrote:
Will the kids get Bible stories? 

They can read whatever they like.

(If you're thinking : "Yeah, right, I give it six months", then be advised, it's been 2 years and counting. )

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:Quote:I like

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

I detest being deluded so I await the evidence with some bemusement!

Quote:

it was never a good idea.

Quote:
Put on a smile even if it's fake,

why not?......everyone else does!

Quote:
 given time it becomes real as people begin to accept that maybe you aren't so bad after all.

don't you care a little too much about what others think?.........and what's so "common" about sense?

Nice troll.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't feel bitter. But I

I don't feel bitter.

But I have only dabbled in being christian, attending church for a year or two a couple of times in my life.  I decided it was easier to stop trying to believe weird stuff and get on with enjoying reality.

You say you don't want advice, but I'm going to give you some because I'm an old lady fart and I can't help myself.

You know you are depressed and you know what to do about it.  Get your home and yourself as clean as you can.  Get a new haircut, a new shirt, a bunch of flowers.  Have a nice meal - not pizza and beer - and enjoy a clean pleasant home.  Get out and walk or run or ..... laugh.

As for christians being happier?  They are all lying to you.  The regions with the highest divorce rates?  Those regions with the most churchy people.  My theory is that "putting your troubles in the lap of Jesus" means you are not working on solving those troubles.  And so the problems swell up until one day - sploosh!  eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww..................

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

Area % are or have been divorced

South 27%

Midwest 27%

West 26%

Northeast 19%

Religion % have been divorced

Jews 30%

Born-again Christians 27%

Other Christians 24%

Atheists, Agnostics 21%

Worldwide: http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

So they are all going to suffer while you and I are going to have a very nice life.  Thumb your nose at them and find happiness within yourself.  Happiness ain't with some imaginary friend, and your ex-friends won't find it there, either.  The "joy" they find is in hanging with a group and feeling superior to other people.  It is all pride and arrogance and gang membership.  You could join the Crips for that, but I don't recommend it.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
As far as a troll making a

As far as a troll making a statement to make it seem they care not what others think, why would they post anything at all.

It is built into us to seek companionship, we have a sex drive etc. However knowledge and understanding of how and why we have these things can diminish it quite a bit.

I would love to lie my ass off and make the grand claim that I don't care about what anyone thinks at all but it is simply not true. The only difference is in to what degree we care.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Zeeboe,There are a lot of

Hi Zeeboe,

There are a lot of different angles I could comment on. You seem to be struggling with several distinct issues, which perhaps seem to you to be the same issue because they are tangled up together in your life. I'm just going to start by picking one thread at random and try to untangle your post a bit.

On Stupidity:

Zeeboe wrote:
My point of this thread: Don't people have the right to be stupid and not be bothered with it?

No. No such right exists, nor should it. People have a right to be stupid, but they don't have a right not to be bothered by it. I have a right to point out stupidity when I see it, and if stupid people are bothered by that, tough noogies.

Stupidity needs to be confronted, IMO, or it will run rampant and there will be a lot more consequences to rampant stupidity than just 'ignorance is bliss'.

Perhaps, living in Texas as you do, you don't see the damage that religious stupidity is doing to your life, your state, your country, and the whole world. Perhaps, being so immersed in it, it just seems like the normal state of affairs. Perhaps, dealing with your own personal issues is taking priority and you're finding it hard to care about the big issues. Even Gandhi would have a hard time focusing on saving the world if he had just stubbed his toe. Likely he would be hopping around in pain like anybody else.

Quote:
The bible is full of so much nonsense that can't we just post bible quotes that support what we believe and not attack the bible itself?

I don't see much point in attacking the Bible, per se. I spend my time attacking people's beliefs. The Bible would be just another book if people didn't actually *believe* the stuff in it. It is the belief that is the problem.

On Happiness:

Quote:
My biggest issue with Christians is not that they are following a lie and trying to force others to believe the lie, but because they rejected me ages ago even when I was still a Christian and I am now angry with them and wanting to attack what means the most to them. ...

There is a small part of me that wishes I was still a Christian. I was happy. Happier then what I am now. I'm angry, extremely bitter, full of nothing but hate towards most of the world, I find myself hating happy people more then I use to, especially if they are happy Christians, I am more like the bible's Devil then an atheist and I am getting older, I'm going nowhere in this life, I've become an even bigger outcast in my family then I already was and my co-workers and I have no one. I am all alone. I should be use to it, but when I had God, I didn't feel alone. And as far as love goes, a girl that I felt I had a real shot with dumped me for being an atheist. That's not the first time I've been rejected by Christian girls.

Personally, I simply cannot be happy being a fake. I tried the whole 'put on a happy face' thing for years, and it never worked. I was a miserable person with a big smile on my face. I suspect many of the 'happy' Christians you know are the same.

Personally, I would rather know the challenging truth than a convenient lie. I don't buy into the whole "they can't handle the truth" schtick. It's bullshit. The truth -- the *real* truth -- of reality is fucking amazing. Sometimes bad shit happens, yep, for sure. But if you really think about it, the fact that we exist in this world is pretty mind-blowingly cool.

If I have some bad shit to deal with (and I do, often), I'd rather face it and deal with it than hide in terror behind some fantasy, like a kid scared of the monster in the closet, and hiding behind his sheets. "Don't worry, just pray about it and your magic friend will help." Yeah, right. How about some real help? How about finding a way to deal with real life problems?

Also, the idea that Christianity can help make people feel happy is a joke. If it really worked, doctors would be prescribing baptisms. Of the evidence I've seen, religious people are not happier than average, and the only thing that seemed to benefit them was that they had more social support than average. But that doesn't mean the church is the only way to get social support.

On Mental Health:

Quote:

News flash: Believing a lie is not an effective way to happiness.

This just in: You are not unhappy because you're an atheist. You're unhappy because you're suffering from other issues.

You said it yourself:

Quote:
I'd love to blame the atheists I use to debate with online for making me this way, but the seeds of all this were there long before I ever got hooked up with the net ...

Your anger/suffering is being expressed through atheist-related activities, but if you were a hard-core christian, you'd be expressing your anger/suffering through theist-related activities. Maybe you'd be one of those who stalks atheist boards and you'd argue that evolution is stupid, etc., but the anger/suffering has nothing to do with being atheist or theist.

When someone has a broken arm, we don't say he's in pain because he's an atheist, or because he's a christian. He's in pain because he's got a broken arm.

Some people are afraid of the idea of seeking help for mental health, but it's no different from getting help with your physical health. It's just got this stigma attached to it about being 'crazy' or 'lacking self-control' or whatever. We don't stigmatize people suffering from arthritis or low thyroid or whatever. The stigma against mental health is bullshit.

What you've said you're looking for is happiness. That's mental health. Religion is not a path to mental health. It's about as effective as wrapping yourself in a cold-water blanket.

The current best therapy-style treatment is cognitive behavioural therapy. In CBT you try to rationally *correct* your self-delusions, not install new ones!

On Needing Help (Crutches)

Quote:

Take a moment to step back and re-read the part I just quoted.

You know that God was a crutch. Now you sometimes wish you still had God. ... But God is a crutch! You can't have the *real* God, because that thing simply doesn't exist. You can only get the crutch. So, what you are really saying is that you wish you still had a crutch.

I agree! You probably need some sort of effective crutch to help you through this. But religion is not an effective crutch. You need real help, not fantasy help. Why would you want to go back to the crutch that *failed* to keep you mentally healthy? That crutch was weak, and it broke, and you noticed that it was never made of gold in the first place, it was just a cheap spray-painted ply-wood thing with rusty nails sticking out of it, and vaguely cross-shaped. What a piece of junk. Why would you want another one of those? Time to look for the real thing.

On Caring What Other People Think or Feel

Quote:
I see how much people love Jesus and it makes me jealous and I see how great their lives are, so I wanna attack their belief, not because I wanna help the world. Honestly, I have a "fuck the world" point of view for the most part. I attack their God because I want them to become as miserable as me. I wanna rip the smiles right off their faces.

Simple question: Why?

Why should you care what other people think or feel?

Seriously. Why?

I would wager that a good deal of your anger and suffering sprouts from giving a shit about what other people think. "They rejected me. They don't like me. They're all assholes anyway. How could he say that? He's so stupid! Why doesn't she like me?" Etc. Etc. Maybe your specific worries are different, but I'll bet they follow a similar pattern.

All that worrying about what other people think and feel is useless and counter-productive. It's getting you nowhere and making you feel miserable.

You have no control over what other people think or feel. So why are you handing the keys to your happiness over to people you have no control over, and who have no interest in helping you be happy?

Much suffering in the world is caused by this. I wouldn't be surprised if it's near to the root of your own unhappiness.

But again, why should you care? Take control of your own happiness by taking control of your thoughts and worries. Leave other people's thoughts and feelings to themselves. Spend a day not giving a shit what other people think, and see how you feel about it.

On Blaming Atheists

Quote:
We atheists have a mark on ourselves in this world. I think gay people, black people in the 1960's south, etc....they were all born with their marks that made them "different", but I think they all really wish/wished they could be accepted and be among the norm. Yet we atheists actually mark ourselves to be different knowing full well what can be the results of that. And why?

*I* never marked myself. Theists marked me. But I *have* since decided to take an unapologetic atheist approach. Why? Because of the harm that religion does, and the fact that I'd rather live in a world where it wasn't so dominant.

Can you not see that the 'marking' of atheists is a perfect example of the harm of religion? Why should we be marked at all? We've done nothing wrong. There's nothing wrong with being an atheist.

Again, perhaps you're so immersed in a theist-dominated culture that you just took it for granted that atheists will be 'marked', and so by admitting their atheism they are marking *themselves*. But we're not. Without the threats and belligerence of theism, there would be no reason to fear coming out as an atheist.

It's like the people who say we shouldn't draw pictures of Mohammed because it will 'cause violence'. Duh! That's the whole point -- that it is utterly ridiculous for Muslims to get violent because somebody draws a picture! The cartoonists are not the ones to blame here.

Quote:
I agree there is no God, but why not just follow along to the bullshit so we can be happy? So *I* can be happy? I'll speak for myself.

Following along with the bullshit does not lead to happiness. It just leads to George W. Bush (twice), 9/11, Iraq War, and a whole shitload of other stuff, all around the world.

Quote:
A shrink....tried that before. They just tell me what I already know.

Then find a better one. Get a second opinion. If you're not getting the help you need, keep looking until you find it.

It took me about 3 years to finally get a proper diagnosis of ADHD. Took a while, but it was definitely worth it. Now I'm finally able to start dealing with all the life-long issues that have been affected by my undiagnosed ADHD. Before I got diagnosed, I tried all sorts of different avenues. Nothing seemed to work. But I kept looking for help, and I'm glad I did. I don't regret it, either. I learned a lot along the way.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:As far as a

robj101 wrote:

As far as a troll making a statement to make it seem they care not what others think, why would they post anything at all.

It is built into us to seek companionship, we have a sex drive etc. However knowledge and understanding of how and why we have these things can diminish it quite a bit.

I would love to lie my ass off and make the grand claim that I don't care about what anyone thinks at all but it is simply not true. The only difference is in to what degree we care.

You could make the argument that you type your thoughts merely to see what sort of reaction you will get out of people... gauge it at various angles, deduce a multitude of indirect observations from said reactions, et cetera.

That is a *huge* part of the reason I post on the messageboards I have been active on over the past decade or so: to test how others react. You can bet I 'test' other RRS'ers regularly for their reactions to me and whatever subject matter I happen to be commenting on at one particular moment. Eye-wink

Quote:

It would make more sense for a troll to pretend to care and then (when finally having nearly everyone's attention and some minimal basis of respect from its internet audience) start posting inflammatory, purposefully controversial, and patently false garbage regarding any particular subject matter.

As far as I go, I am matter-of-factly apathetic to the majority of other's thoughts and feelings on a particular subject; especially if I am not acquainted with a particular person and/or established a modicum of mutual respect; but that is simply how I'm wired inside of my cranium.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:robj101

Kapkao wrote:

robj101 wrote:

You could make the argument that you type your thoughts merely to see what sort of reaction you will get out of people... gauge it at various angles, deduce a multitude of indirect observations from said reactions, et cetera.

That is a *huge* part of the reason I post on the messageboards I have been active on over the past decade or so: to test how others react. You can bet I 'test' other RRS'ers regularly for their reactions to me and whatever subject matter I happen to be commenting on at one particular moment. Eye-wink

Quote:

It would make more sense for a troll to pretend to care and then (when finally having nearly everyone's attention and some minimal basis of respect from its internet audience) start posting inflammatory, purposefully controversial, and patently false garbage regarding any particular subject matter.

As far as I go, I am matter-of-factly apathetic to the majority of other's thoughts and feelings on a particular subject; especially if I am not acquainted with a particular person and/or established a modicum of mutual respect; but that is simply how I'm wired inside of my cranium.

Trolls want a reaction, almost always a negative one. They want to piss someone off so again, they care what others think even if it is fukin negative. It's like a kid who gets no attention acting up because even negative attention is better than none at all. Trolls don't seem to take much time pretending, they generally pop right out with negative, as I do on occasion. Where religion is concerned I don't pretend unless it involves sarcasm.

Your apathy towards others has nothing to do with your own personal interest in what people think of yourself. You may not give a carps ass about what someone thinks on a particular topic but it will bug your ass if they don't care about yours. If you don't care what someone thinks, and you don't care what they think of yours then you are pointless background static.

You did admit "majority" btw so you are apparently selective in your opinions, like most people.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao, the problem with

Kapkao, the problem with this idea of making posts largely to 'test' others' reaction, especially if you are verging on mis-representation of your 'real' beliefs and attitudes, is that once people sense this is what you are doing, you are not going get their normal reactions to your posts, so it can be self-defeating. Unless you are also genuinely interested in gauging their reaction to something that they realize has an element of such deliberate 'testing', rather than honest exchange of ideas and opinions. 

Problem is, once you get to that point, you aren't going to be able to test for much else.

You have certainly passed that point for me.

This seemed to be a significant component, by his own admission, of skeptic23's approach. And then he expressed frustration at people getting pissed-off with him. D'uh.

Seriously, such an approach, and an insensitivity to how it will ultimately affect the way others see you, is a hallmark of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders).

Doesn't mean you have no sensitivity to others, just it is not as much a factor in your approach as it is for most of us.

Just sayin'....

Of course, we still post stuff which is likely to get a reaction from others, but it is not with the same degree of conscious 'testing' for reaction, more because we are addressing issues we know the particular person is concerned about.

It is not a cut-and-dried distinction, but a spectrum. People near one end tend tend to get pissed of with people at the other end, but those at the ASD end don't care about that so much.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Natural, great post.

Natural, great post.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: Kapkao,

BobSpence1 wrote:

Kapkao, the problem with this idea of making posts largely to 'test' others' reaction, especially if you are verging on mis-representation of your 'real' beliefs and attitudes, is that once people sense this is what you are doing, you are not going get their normal reactions to your posts, so it can be self-defeating. Unless you are also genuinely interested in gauging their reaction to something that they realize has an element of such deliberate 'testing', rather than honest exchange of ideas and opinions. 

Problem is, once you get to that point, you aren't going to be able to test for much else.

Really? I openly admit to experimenting with others' emotions and now I can't expect a candid reaction??? I never would have guessed!

Bob Spence, as intelligent as you are, why do you believe I actively and consciously chose to 'show my hand' with regards to the way I like to experiment with others' reactions towards me and my (usually candid but callously expressed) opinions?

Please; make as many guesses as you wish...

Quote:
You have certainly passed that point for me.

I passed that point just after trying for the 1st time, apparently. Pushing your buttons and toying with your emotions is about as trivial as extracting teeth from a bear without any tranquilizers; a fool's errand, in so many words.

The only thing that seems to provoke you is the manner in which people born native to the US treat individuals trying to escape harsh living conditions in Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America: like criminals or second-class citizens.

Quote:
This seemed to be a significant component, by his own admission, of skeptic23's approach. And then he expressed frustration at people getting pissed-off with him. D'uh.

Seriously, such an approach, and an insensitivity to how it will ultimately affect the way others see you, is a hallmark of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders).

Doesn't mean you have no sensitivity to others, just it is not as much a factor in your approach as it is for most of us.

Just sayin'....

Of course, we still post stuff which is likely to get a reaction from others, but it is not with the same degree of conscious 'testing' for reaction, more because we are addressing issues we know the particular person is concerned about.

It is not a cut-and-dried distinction, but a spectrum. People near one end tend tend to get pissed of with people at the other end, but those at the ASD end don't care about that so much.

Ah, but see, my indifference is learned, rather than congenital. Learned, because you can't spend the sheer volume of time I have on the internet and not greatly distance yourself emotionally from a lot of the "Verbal diarrhea" being spewed on the web over the years -to the point of being apathetic towards virtual strangers unless they give me an important reason not to be.

Also, my POV is that an intelligent person may opt to attack a messenger, but a rational person almost always chooses to attack only the message itself and solely on the basis of what merit it has or lacks.

From this general attitude, you easily qualify as one of the most rational individuals I have encountered over the internet -even more so than myself, because I feel very easily tempted to mock and bully others for their intellectual biases and my own prejudices.

Personal note: my autism (if I even have autism) manifests itself as finding the passions, ambitions, personal values, and fears of others as highly alien and attempting to understand these things in others to be a hit-or-miss affair. I had more troubles with this when I was younger...

edit; make that staggering difficulties with understanding what drives others on a day-to-day basis. I also had trouble with gossip, slang, "reading between the lines", and various other subtle social phenomena.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Your apathy

robj101 wrote:

Your apathy towards others has nothing to do with your own personal interest in what people think of yourself. You may not give a carps ass about what someone thinks on a particular topic but it will bug your ass if they don't care about yours. If you don't care what someone thinks, and you don't care what they think of yours then you are pointless background static.

You did admit "majority" btw so you are apparently selective in your opinions, like most people.

You seemed to miss the boat on me being apathetic, but that's no biggie. I didn't think you'd get it right away anyhow.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
They are happy?

I think you are judging your insides against other's outsides. Christian are taught to act happy. But when alone there is a different story. I have friends who are Christians and know them on a deeper level. They are not happy. One guy is struggling because the Church has come between him and his wife. I was miserable as a Christian, constantly wrestling with doubt and these mind controlled things called sin. Look around with your eyes open and you will see a lot of miserable Christians.  There are the David Koresh types killing themselves - how much fun is that? Christians are quite judgmental.

It took me years to drop the guilt and shame that I took on.

Today I am more at peace with myself than I every have been. It is because I accept life for what it is and not pretend it is something other than that.  You might want to sort out your unhappiness with a good therapist. Perhaps the cause of your unhappiness isn't really about others being happy.  It would be worth the investment.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
I pretty much know the

I pretty much know the secret to being a Christian: You brain wash yourself and you tell yourself this God is real and your brain obeys. I honestly think you could do that with anyone. Why is that a horrible thing? Especially if it can help your social life. I admit I did feel some sense of guilt at times when I was a Christian and could be unhappy, but I could always in the end count on Jesus to save the day. I admit, I created a God in my own head and didn't really worship the true God of the bible. Even if I was wrong on both the Christian and Atheist side of things, I was still happy and I miss those warm and fuzzy feelings. Now I feel almost like an inmate on death row. I feel bittersweet. Like yeah, I'm gonna die and there's nothing I can do about it so gotta try to enjoy this life more...yet I'm not. It feels like if there isn't something better beyond this world, what is the point of living?

I mean really....is life really that wonderful? There's wars, earthquakes, suffering, cancer and anyone here could die in a car wreck or be a victim to crime. Is this life so wonderful that we have to rule out totally that something could be better?

I mean, is believing in *something* that horrible and having some type of dream? I'm sure most of you do have your dreams and believe in something, but speaking for me....I pretty much have nothing. I am too much of an atheist. Nothing warms me, there is no dream and life is just boring now.

I can understand if these people are invading your life, you wanna defend yourself but it seems like RRS is in a way no different then churches because it preaches what it believe's and tries to get others to support it. I once joined Dan Barker's snail mailing list. I can't recall exactly. I think it was like a free trail and I totally respect Dan Barker, but I recall in the mailing list him asking for money to support the cause. I believe RRS has that as well. How is that different then what churches do?

Err....I think I am getting way off track here. What I am really asking is why not just live and let live? Why not be above Christians and not preach all the time. Unless this is just a site for atheists and such to become friends, but why not only attack when we are attacked instead of starting the battles? Why not just let people believe in their fairy tales if it makes them happy? If it doesn't make you happy, fine, don't believe in it but why fight to take away other people's beliefs?

....Again, it's one thing if these people are laughing at you and trying to get you believe what they believe and preaching their own personal BS and acting like Ray Comfort......I'm all for destorying those people verbally, but the good ones. The ones who leave it where it belongs, why go after them?

Clearly I need a crutch. What kind and where to even begin looking is my great unknown.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:My theory is that

cj wrote:

My theory is that "putting your troubles in the lap of Jesus" means you are not working on solving those troubles.  And so the problems swell up until one day - sploosh!  eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww..................

I am in complete agreement with your theory. I don't know how many times I have heard Christians say I have been too negative I need to make a gratitude list. I need to be more happy. They condemn anger and hatred and having a bad day. They tried to run from them. When those things are exactly what is needed to listen to to find out what is the problem is and change. Not wait for God to fix us.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
What Other People Think Of Me

In my 30s I worried about what other people thought of me

In my 40s I said I don't care about what others think of me

In my 50s I realized they weren't thinking about me anyway.

Most of us are wrapped up in our own little world. We spend little time thinking about others, most of it fleeting. I ain't much but I am all I think about.

Religion Kills !!!

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
Let me add

Let me add this....okay....the crutch really didn't break. What happened was....and this is getting deep into my past and I won't go there, but in short, my fellow Christians rejected me or I felt rejected...I also lost a lot of hope and faith in most of human kind and then I  felt God rejected me and I was angry with him for a long time, became Christian again, but then things got a little sour again and I made the mistake of wanting to get closer to Jesus only to discover he is a fraud. I also screwed myself really because I shouldn't have go beyond the bible. I should have just stayed in my little brain-washed crazy world. Because at least I was happy.

I then reverted back to how I use to be, only as an atheist and my real reason for spreading this is not because I have compassion for the world and wanna see it grow...it is somewhat important, but as I typed in the first post...it's to take away other people's belief's. It didn't work for me and I don't want it to work for you. I was very upset when I lost God and found out the truth and I want to make my Christian foes out there go through that same hell because I know it would hurt.

I also question if other atheists have that same goal. I love George Carlin, Bill Maher and Howard Stern, but when discussing God...those guys are very sarcastic. Sarcasm = Anger. And then there was Marilyn Manson. He sounds pissed when talking about God.

We don't believe in God....so why are we so angry? What about the debate the RRS had with WOTM three years ago...the atheists in the crowd were quick to clap and many of them were clearly angry.

These people....the Christians......most of them are not angry. They seem happy as hell. I'd like to be that happy. What is the secret? They have their bullshit. I'd like some bullshit too.

The truth is great, but too much of anything can be bad and I sometimes think being a strong atheist is having just a little bit too much of the truth. There's a reason why Santa Claus, God, the Easter Bunny, etc....were invented. It makes people happy. What do we atheists have that makes us happy?

Sure, some of you have your family and your kids and such, but what about the lone atheists such as myself and Bill Maher? Bill Maher has fame and money that keeps him going.

Okay, trying to break this down to a question....I realize most atheists probably don't give a damn if people join them or not. They probably figure you have to come here on your own terms. You have to sell yourself on it and figure out what makes you happy. The truth maybe

But are we really happy? And is the truth really that great? Or at least knowing this truth?

I know I really rambled. I am thinking all this as I type it. I probably should edit these posts more, but for now since I typed them, I'll leave it all here and those who want to read it can.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister - Pretty

ex-minister - Pretty interesting. Through out my childhood and teens I did care, but slowly thtough out my 20's, I reached the point where I don't care much. I am hoping as I enter my 30's, I'll stop thinking people spend much time talking about me. Regardless, depending on who it is, I should not care, but everyone gets gossiped about. That cannot be controlled.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:I also question

Zeeboe wrote:

I also question if other atheists have that same goal. I love George Carlin, Bill Maher and Howard Stern, but when discussing God...those guys are very sarcastic. Sarcasm = Anger. And then there was Marilyn Manson. He sounds pissed when talking about God.

We don't believe in God....so why are we so angry? What about the debate the RRS had with WOTM three years ago...the atheists in the crowd were quick to clap and many of them were clearly angry.

These people....the Christians......most of them are not angry. They seem happy as hell. I'd like to be that happy. What is the secret? They have their bullshit. I'd like some bullshit too.

Sure, some of you have your family and your kids and such, but what about the lone atheists such as myself and Bill Maher? Bill Maher has fame and money that keeps him going.

Okay, trying to break this down to a question....I realize most atheists probably don't give a damn if people join them or not. They probably figure you have to come here on your own terms. You have to sell yourself on it and figure out what makes you happy. The truth maybe

But are we really happy? And is the truth really that great? Or at least knowing this truth?

I know I really rambled. I am thinking all this as I type it. I probably should edit these posts more, but for now since I typed them, I'll leave it all here and those who want to read it can.

What the hell is wrong with anger? It is another human emotion. To avoid it makes people insane. They say depression is anger turned inward. I love my anger. I used to be afraid of it. Only God was allowed to have it, but it is mine and it reveals a lot to me. It is mine, it doesn't belong to anyone else. I feel it for all that it is worth and go through it. The kind of anger than I supress or blame other people for gets me nowhere. It lives on unprocessed, unsatisfied, a zombie that cannot be killed.

I got very angry at God. How could there be this personal God who watches all the horror of this world and sits by idly. Even the God of the Bible does  horrible things. So, today I don't cower in the corner but feel my anger for all that it was worth. Then I started realizing this God is simply made up by people who want to control others - teaching them how to put on a happy face and not be angry or have lust, etc. etc. I don't believe in a personal God anymore so the battle is over for me. I see life as it is. I experience long periods of happiness these days because I don't fight who I am.  Christian sets up an illusionary battle - spirit against the flesh. You are not allowed to just be.

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is none of my business what others think of me

Zeeboe wrote:

ex-minister - Pretty interesting. Through out my childhood and teens I did care, but slowly thtough out my 20's, I reached the point where I don't care much. I am hoping as I enter my 30's, I'll stop thinking people spend much time talking about me. Regardless, depending on who it is, I should not care, but everyone gets gossiped about. That cannot be controlled.

The ages are relative. Perhaps you are further along on the path than I was.

Right now you care what people think of you and that is all about you, not them. That is honest. I found it helpful to focus not on them but on me. Why was I so worried about what they thought of me? Lots of great stuff came out of that for me.

One thing I had heard years ago that was quite helpful is - It is none of my business what others think of me.  

When I caught myself fretting about what they thought about me, I would quote that to myself.

Religion Kills !!!

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline

Kapkao wrote:

robj101 wrote:

You seemed to miss the boat on me being apathetic, but that's no biggie. I didn't think you'd get it right away anyhow.

I addressed your apathetic nature lightly and pointed out you do not have a complete lack thereof obviously. You are quite self indulgent on the forum, more so than myself anyway. At times you appear to be satisfied to please yourself even at some expense to others, at other times you seem to be more charitable.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:In my 30s

ex-minister wrote:

Most of us are wrapped up in our own little world. We spend little time thinking about others, most of it fleeting. I ain't much but I am all I think about.

Sounds like myself but about 10 years behind, from high school to 30 I cared too much about what people thought.

Now in my 30's I don't really care for the most part. for example everyone I know now knows I am an atheist and I don't mind rubbing it in, even though it really gains me nothing but trouble.

I'm not 40 yet and I don't care to venture a guess.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:ex-minister -

Zeeboe wrote:

Most people I pass I don't even consider, unless they are wacky as hell or something and want to be talked about.

I'm pretty fukin average and I don't draw a lot of attention...unless I'm wearing one of my ungodly t-shirts 

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote: Kapkao wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I addressed your apathetic nature lightly and pointed out you do not have a complete lack thereof obviously. You are quite self indulgent on the forum, more so than myself anyway. At times you appear to be satisfied to please yourself even at some expense to others, at other times you seem to be more charitable.

Nope... still wrong in the first sentence. Because of personal reasons, I feel too much like hammered shit to address anything else with your post... actually, I'm very unindulgent at the moment. "Anhedonic", even...

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
"It is none of my business

"It is none of my business what others think of me. "

I also heard that quote last summer and I agree it is a good way to think and live by.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:I pretty much

Zeeboe wrote:

I pretty much know the secret to being a Christian: You brain wash yourself and you tell yourself this God is real and your brain obeys. I honestly think you could do that with anyone.

You really couldn't do that with me, I guarantee. I've been an atheist since I was 8 when I learned what the word meant, and said, "Hey, that's what I am.". I've never heard a single good reason to believe in gods. And after figuring out the Santa thing, and then reading Greek mythology at age 9, I pretty much inoculated myself against god belief. It's just too ridiculous to get past my bullshit filter. You'd pretty much have to keep me doped up with sodium pentathol or something.

Quote:
Why is that a horrible thing?

Were you not paying attention when I gave examples? Four little symbols: 9/11. See, religion doesn't just involve a minor self-delusion. If that were so, I wouldn't get worked up about it. Religion involves dogma, and dogma leads to bad shit happening.

Quote:
Especially if it can help your social life.

Please. There are better ways to get a social life than to believe ridiculous shit. Try a dating service.

Quote:
Even if I was wrong on both the Christian and Atheist side of things, I was still happy and I miss those warm and fuzzy feelings.

I miss the warm fuzzy feelings from when I believed in Santa. Does that make me want to believe in Santa again? No.

Quote:
Now I feel almost like an inmate on death row. I feel bittersweet. Like yeah, I'm gonna die and there's nothing I can do about it so gotta try to enjoy this life more...yet I'm not. It feels like if there isn't something better beyond this world, what is the point of living?

You gotta start taking life seriously. There *is no* afterlife. Think about that. Try to 'get it'. That means this is the only life you're going to ever live.

When you seriously appreciate this fact, you will be able to see the flip side of what you're talking about: You say "if there isn't something better beyond this world, what is the point of living?" Flip that around. If there *is* something better beyond this world, what would be the point of living in this one? Why not off yourself so you can get to this 'better' afterlife? What would be the point of living in this world with its suffering and terror?

Now try to really let that settle in for a moment. An afterlife would make *this* life pointless. Not the other way around.

In fact, since there is no afterlife, that makes *this* life the only life you get, and so the point of living is to make this life the best one you can make it, because there's no second chance. One life is precious. An afterlife would make this life pointless, redundant, and meaningless.

Quote:
I mean really....is life really that wonderful? There's wars, earthquakes, suffering, cancer and anyone here could die in a car wreck or be a victim to crime. Is this life so wonderful that we have to rule out totally that something could be better?

It can be better.

But the only way there can be something better is if *we* make it better. Think about it. You've won the existence lottery and are given a chance to do something, as opposed to never having existed. Your existence is limited and brief, but you exist. Yes, bad shit can happen. But so can good shit. And you can influence that. You can deal with the bad shit and try to bring about some good shit. And no god is responsible for any of this. We simply exist, for better or worse. Let's try for better.

You ask 'is life really that wonderful'? I ask, 'is life really that terrible'? If a god existed, it would be completely responsible for all the bad shit that happens. Why would you want to be 'comforted' by such an asshole? Nobody is responsible of earthquakes, cancer, etc. Nevertheless we can build systems to minimize earthquake damage, and we've already found several good treatments for an assortment of cancers. That's fucking amazing. No 'god' has ever done that. For the bad shit that people are responsible for, we can hold them responsible and build better systems of government to reduce the bad shit people do.

Quote:
I mean, is believing in *something* that horrible and having some type of dream? I'm sure most of you do have your dreams and believe in something, but speaking for me....I pretty much have nothing. I am too much of an atheist. Nothing warms me, there is no dream and life is just boring now.

Being an atheist means you don't believe in god. That's it.

Living a life without hope and warmth is a sign of mental health issues. Being atheist has nothing to do with that.

I have dreams and hopes and things I 'believe in', but they are things in this world, the real world, not some fantasy world. Why would I want to put all my hopes into a false dream? What sense does that make?

Quote:
I can understand if these people are invading your life, you wanna defend yourself but it seems like RRS is in a way no different then churches because it preaches what it believe's and tries to get others to support it. I once joined Dan Barker's snail mailing list. I can't recall exactly. I think it was like a free trail and I totally respect Dan Barker, but I recall in the mailing list him asking for money to support the cause. I believe RRS has that as well. How is that different then what churches do?

Umm, name a cause of any sort that does not 'preach' its values and does not need money to function. There are none. So I guess all causes are churches, then, eh?

How is RRS different than a church? Well, for one thing, you're allowed to disagree with anything anyone says here. Not so in a church. Here we apply rational thought and evidence-based reasoning. Not so in a church. Here we make no claims about knowing what some supernatural agent thinks, wants, or demands. Not so in a church. Need I go on? The comparison is ridiculous.

Quote:
What I am really asking is why not just live and let live?

Live and let live is a two-way strategy. It only works if both parties participate. Unfortunately, the religious do not practice live and let live. They want to interfere with our lives, and they have done so numerous times, and they want to continue to do so, and we're sick of it. Have you not been paying attention to American politics for the last 20 years?

Quote:
Why not just let people believe in their fairy tales if it makes them happy?

If that's all they did, I *would* let them believe. But that's not all they do.

Quote:
If it doesn't make you happy, fine, don't believe in it but why fight to take away other people's beliefs?

Why are you asking this question, if not to influence us to stop what we're doing? I've never understood how anyone can not see the hypocrisy in trying to influence others not to influence others.

Quote:

Clearly I need a crutch. What kind and where to even begin looking is my great unknown.

I'd start with your doctor and tell him/her you're feeling angry/depressed/hopeless/etc. and you're looking for help with that. That's the first step.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
  Quote:Nice

Quote:
Why not just let people believe in their fairy tales if it makes them happy?

Quote:
If that's all they did, I *would* let them believe. But that's not all they do.

Quote:
If it doesn't make you happy, fine, don't believe in it but why fight to take away other people's beliefs?

Quote:
Why are you asking this question, if not to influence us to stop what we're doing? I've never understood how anyone can not see the hypocrisy in trying to influence others not to influence others.

you apparently missed the total irony in the juxtaposition of these replies!!!!!

Quote:

Nice troll.

thanks........profound response!

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
christian/non-christian relationships

Quote:

(If you're thinking : "Yeah, right, I give it six months", then be advised, it's been 2 years and counting. )

I have a lot of sympathy with your position [the Bible simply advises against it].......just take care!

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As far as a troll

Quote:

by "troll" [a fairly lazy term of abuse at the best of times] I assume you meant that my opinion was put out there merely to provoke reaction and not sincerely held. No doubt having read my mind you can substantiate this........after all, I'm sure we're all interested in evidence here. The issue is whether you care too much what other people think about YOU. My natural starting point is to presume that you are capable of forming your own world-view on the basis of rational reflection........you seem determined to convince me otherwise.

Quote:

you seem to be implying that you only find it possible to form relationships with people who agree with you.......is that your need or theirs? If it's theirs, I'd find new friends. If it's yours I'd ask whether you put any sort of value on a rationally held view at all!

Quote:

yeah, I think the bottom line is what the issue is and the issue of one's world- view is pretty basic.......is yours going to be your own or prisoner to that of others?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Not sure

Anonymouse wrote:
Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean when he leaves for church and I don't come with ? He knew I was an atheist when he fell in love with me, so if that bothers him, he didn't think it through.

I'll ask him.

I find these remarks striking because... well... I basically figured out right away after registering here that The Doomed Soul was female (some of her replies towards me were a dead give-away + the Hello Kitty avatar), but you on the other hand had me fooled until quite recently: here I was, considering Anonymouse to be a guy. Pretty silly, right?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:Quote: (If

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

I have a lot of sympathy with your position [the Bible simply advises against it].......just take care!

Also be advised that 'mouse' isn't the only atheist here married to a theist - Tarpan qualifies as well.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:ex-minister

robj101 wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Sounds like myself but about 10 years behind, from high school to 30 I cared too much about what people thought.

Now in my 30's I don't really care for the most part. for example everyone I know now knows I am an atheist and I don't mind rubbing it in, even though it really gains me nothing but trouble.

You're a 30-somthing who likes hitting on guys in their 20s (me)? That's... a little... strange.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline

Kapkao wrote:

robj101 wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

You're a 30-somthing who likes hitting on guys in their 20s (me)? That's... a little... strange.

huh

Nice attempt to disprove.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:Quote:As far

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

by "troll" [a fairly lazy term of abuse at the best of times] I assume you meant that my opinion was put out there merely to provoke reaction and not sincerely held. No doubt having read my mind you can substantiate this........after all, I'm sure we're all interested in evidence here. The issue is whether you care too much what other people think about YOU. My natural starting point is to presume that you are capable of forming your own world-view on the basis of rational reflection........you seem determined to convince me otherwise.

Quote:

you seem to be implying that you only find it possible to form relationships with people who agree with you.......is that your need or theirs? If it's theirs, I'd find new friends. If it's yours I'd ask whether you put any sort of value on a rationally held view at all!

Quote:

yeah, I think the bottom line is what the issue is and the issue of one's world- view is pretty basic.......is yours going to be your own or prisoner to that of others?

One again, you have taken it out of context and added your own little meaning.

I was not talking about issues specifically, I was talking about human nature.

To roll with your "observations" as far as only getting along with people who agree with me you miss the mark anyway. A lot of people here do not agree with me on everything. Most heads would explode otherwise.

edit: I assumed you were a troll and tried to give you the benefit of a doubt. You have erased that doubt and now I realize you do not understand another mode of thought so in the future I will attempt to be more definitive in my literacy in your direction.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:huhNice

robj101 wrote:

huh

And now you're simply not making a slightest bit of sense.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline

Kapkao wrote:

robj101 wrote:

huh

And now you're simply not making a slightest bit of sense.

Ok so I guess I gave you too much credit. In my claim of not caring I assumed you were making a jab to see if I "cared"

Considering I'm not gay nor am I hitting on you nor have I ever "hit" on you it seemed plausible.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:One again, you have

Quote:
One again, you have taken it out of context and added your own little meaning.

you were the one who came up with the term "troll". Since you didn't define, let alone justify it, it seemed and seems that someone should......you can hardly justify a retrospective complaint. 

Quote:
To roll with your "observations" as far as only getting along with people who agree with me you miss the mark anyway. A lot of people here do not agree with me on everything. Most heads would explode otherwise.

I'm relieved

Quote:
edit: I assumed you were a troll and tried to give you the benefit of a doubt. You have erased that doubt

you are free to labour under any misapprehension which appeals to you 

Quote:
and now I realize you do not understand another mode of thought so in the future I will attempt to be more definitive in my literacy in your direction.

this appears contradictory.......if you recognise a failure to be sufficiently "definitive" why are you presupposing an inability on my part to "understand another mode of thought" on a basis which is insubstantial by your own admission?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:And as far as

Zeeboe wrote:

And as far as love goes, a girl that I felt I had a real shot with dumped me for being an atheist. That's not the first time I've been rejected by Christian girls.

So it's better to be another phony Christian male, pussy whipped into 'believing' because that's what you got to do to get some? Why not get the hell away from all sexual repression of religion, so you would not so dependent on one woman for all you happiness?

Zeeboe wrote:

How do you know they are happier? What if it's all an act and they are really miserable? My experience is that Christians are the most fearful and stressful people on the inside. Religion is just their little pill.

Zeeboe wrote:

You got to get the hell away from these people. Travel around the world. Hell just move to Austin and make some new friends that accept your beliefs and values. Life is what you make it. The meaning of life is what you decide it is. How about that for an atheist ethic?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
natural - Yeah, I read the

natural - Yeah, I read the responses. I just meant that most Christians I've come across and the type of Christian I was is that we lived like we were not Christians. Meaning we sinned and pretty much thought God would forgive us no matter what and the bible even says that. So not only could we watch porn, party, judge people, be a pervert and all that sinful stuff, we also got the warm and fuzzy feelings too and the thought we'd go to heaven one day. To me, that's a pretty awesome life right there. Ignorance is bliss.

Not only was I not living like a true Christian, but I also believed in my own personal God. I think it's more that God I miss then anything and yeah, I kinda miss ol' Saint Nick too. Heck, Christmas has sucked for the most part and I see it clearly see that for much of the BS it is as well. At the very least I had the belief that it Jesus's birthday. Now I don't even have THAT! lol.

I'm all for you guys destorying the types who fly planes in buildings and such. It was the innocent dumb American Christians I was talking about. The right to be "stupid".

Anyhow, I can't just blame myself or stuff I've read on the net. My parents are a big part of the blame. They did a sucky job at raising me and my father pushed the bible onto me waaaaaay too much. If I could have had sucky Christians for parents instead of sucky parents for Christians maybe I'd still believe, not get addicted to the net, and not read too much.

I am 27, I'm living alone in this messy apartment, I work at a sucky job and I just have this feeling this will be it until I'm dead and I really don't want all that and God was a great crutch to lean on. He always helped me before get out of things I felt stuck in. I can help myself now, but yes I am man enough to admit I am too weak. There are shrinks yes, but at least God was free. lol. I am not trying to sound like a cheap bastard but good shrinks are hard to afford long-term.

When you guys feel trapped, how do you get out?  Or when you're suffering, when you lose someone you love because they died, how do you cope?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote: natural -

Zeeboe wrote:

natural - Yeah, I read the responses. I just meant that most Christians I've come across and the type of Christian I was is that we lived like we were not Christians. Meaning we sinned and pretty much thought God would forgive us no matter what and the bible even says that. So not only could we watch porn, party, judge people, be a pervert and all that sinful stuff, we also got the warm and fuzzy feelings too and the thought we'd go to heaven one day. To me, that's a pretty awesome life right there. Ignorance is bliss.

Not only was I not living like a true Christian, but I also believed in my own personal God. I think it's more that God I miss then anything and yeah, I kinda miss ol' Saint Nick too. Heck, Christmas has sucked for the most part and I see it clearly see that for much of the BS it is as well. At the very least I had the belief that it Jesus's birthday. Now I don't even have THAT! lol.

I'm all for you guys destorying the types who fly planes in buildings and such. It was the innocent dumb American Christians I was talking about. The right to be "stupid".

Anyhow, I can't just blame myself or stuff I've read on the net. My parents are a big part of the blame. They did a sucky job at raising me and my father pushed the bible onto me waaaaaay too much. If I could have had sucky Christians for parents instead of sucky parents for Christians maybe I'd still believe, not get addicted to the net, and not read too much.

I am 27, I'm living alone in this messy apartment, I work at a sucky job and I just have this feeling this will be it until I'm dead and I really don't want all that and God was a great crutch to lean on. He always helped me before get out of things I felt stuck in. I can help myself now, but yes I am man enough to admit I am too weak. There are shrinks yes, but at least God was free. lol. I am not trying to sound like a cheap bastard but good shrinks are hard to afford long-term.

When you guys feel trapped, how do you get out?  Or when you're suffering, when you lose someone you love because they died, how do you cope?

You have just tripped my "mom" button.  Sorry, I raised three sons, my youngest is now 33, so you can ignore the rest of this post if you desire.  You have been warned.

Some bad ass murderer in prison, "I found Jesus, and he forgives me for raping and murdering little boys and girls."  Lovely.  Being christian means fucking around however you want, then ask for forgiveness, feel warm and fuzzy, then go out and do it again.  You want to know one of the reasons I quit religion for good?  People like you. 

Own your vices.  Man, we all have them.  But remember, YOU have to forgive you.  If you can't forgive yourself, maybe you shouldn't do that shit.  Duh.

And I told you before and I'll tell you again.  CLEAN YOUR APARTMENT.  NOW.  Then play all the video games or whatever you want.  At least it will smell better.  And it does makes a difference in your mood.  Try it.  You'll like it.

How I make it through the day - when my mom died, when my best beloved dog died, when my best friend is moving out of town, when I lost my job.  This all has happened to me - my mom died in 2006, my dog had to be put to sleep last November, I was laid off and have been unemployed for 18 months, and my best friend is moving this summer.  What you do is put one foot in front of the other.  You get up, get showered, get dressed, and do what you have to.  You have a - brief - pity party and then you put it behind you.  Shit happens to good and bad people.  Get over it and pick up your feet.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote: this

freeminer wrote:

this appears contradictory.......if you recognise a failure to be sufficiently "definitive" why are you presupposing an inability on my part to "understand another mode of thought" on a basis which is insubstantial by your own admission?

Are you that dense? Because even if I think differently on a subject and express a view which could be construed in a different manner or taken in a different context I can type on a level that a 3rd grader could understand, reinforcing it with extra descriptive terminology. This is obviously what you need.

For example, the sun is yellow, yes I mean yellow as in the color of a crayon and by the sun I mean the orb in the sky which we rotate around.

What is your argument again, are you here to stir shit or discuss something?

I'm at work and don't have time a for a long detailed response to a question that has nothing to do with anything relevant to anyone but yourself.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
lol natural. I'm glad to see

lol natural. I'm glad to see there are mothely atheists out there. I have yet to meet one online or offline until now. Most motherly women I come across are Christian. You're right about the apartment stuff. I actually have learned that when I work, I do feel better. I just hated to do it because I figured...no one is here to pat me on the shoulder and say "That'a boy!" or to tell me how good it looks. But why can't I tell myself how good it looks? Why can't I tell myself good job? Having typed that:

When I was a Christian, I prayed. What I was really doing is I was *thinking*. I can still think. I did some thinking today and when I was a Christian and I thought "God" was talking to me, I was really talking to myself. Why can't I do that now? Not talk to myself, but just think and if thinking outloud helps when I'm alone, I'll do that. Only instead of putting a label on my thoughts and naming him "Jesus", why can't *I* take credit for it?

And when it comes to bad thoughts...instead of saying it's the Devil....why not say it's me? And instead of asking Jesus to get rid of Satan why not tell myself..."No, that's a bad thought. Get that thought outta here."

So instead of sitting on here, whining to you guys, whining to a shrink or whining to "God", why not whine to myself, think about the problem, think about what needs to be done...and go do it. Those warm and fuzzy feelings still can exist. Since thinking and discovering this thought, goosebumps have appeared on me and so have those warm and fuzzy feelings. I don't think any of you were praying for me, so how did this happen? I was reading a book....and then I just starting thinking and all I did was transfer how I use to think as a Christian, only I added logic and reason to it.

There was no god who "helped" me reach these thoughts. I helped *myself*. There's a line in "Jesus Christ Superstar" where Jesus yelled "heal yourselves" to a mob of beggars asking him to be healed and that's what I did. I healed myself.

The human mind is very powerful and all that stuff...my attiude, viewpoint of life can change and can go back to how it was, only it'll be different. It'll be BETTER. I'll have a clearer understand of life. My mind can be my church.

Heck, Christmas can still be fun too! Only I'll be Santa Claus and I can view others as Santa Claus and instead of it being about Jesus's birthday, why not see it as a day where it's everyone's birthday and we celebrate all that is good in humans? And instead of giving all the glory to Santa or Jesus, give that glory to people!! Give that same glory you'd give to Santa and Jesus to your Mom or Dad or sister or brother. You get my point I think.

I'll go to my "sucky job" and I'll do the best I can at it and instead of being miserable and always thinking about what is wrong with this job, I'll think about what is right, that I am lucky to have a job and I'll just do it better. And in the mean time....I'll "pray" to myself about what other things I could do and then hopefully *I* will lead myself down the right path and I'll figure out all the things in my life that make me unhappy and figure out how to either get rid of the problem or work with it.

I have to admit, and I hope none of you will rain on my parade here.....I'm excited now. I have hope for my life. And all this came from my mind. Four years ago, I would have typed Jesus. Now I am typing my mind.

I get now what Christians do to make themselves happy. What they do is no different then what I am wanting to do, only they give their different thoughts a name and they give all glory to God instead of to the people that deserve it.

Yes, yes! Praise ZEEBOE! Amen! I figured it out.

BUT....before I can do any of that, I gotta let go of my hate. I'm not going anywhere as long as I'm this miserable, bitter and angry person. My whole purpose as I typed before when I debate with Christians is NOT to help the world....but out of pure hate....and that's not right.

For three summers now, I have mostly hated Christians. That has to stop. It's only proving their points about us and it's not helping me or the cause you guys have. I have to stop preaching to Christians, stop debating them, stop bothering them, ignore them, and even show some level of respect. I can have the same ways of thinking some of them do....don't lie, don't steal, don't be greedy, turn the other cheek, help people, give money to the homeless, have compassion, and be a good person, etc, etc.  All that and more and it will be done because I want to and it makes me feel good and not for any other reason other then it is the right thing to do.

Alright guys, I'm outta here. I have a messy apartment to start cleaning. Smiling

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:Alright guys,

Zeeboe wrote:

Alright guys, I'm outta here. I have a messy apartment to start cleaning. Smiling

See?  Mom knows best.  Good job!