Apologies sort of

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apologies sort of

I said some things about which name Phillistine or Palestine were used by who. I still have my original sources but I posted the same assertion where two people who claim to read Greek post. They disagreed -- sort of. The matter appears to be more complicated than I originally thought however their claims have oddly confirmed the intent of my assertions even though the facts are not as clean.

I am not ready to post a clarification as I have to digest the claims. I have obtained a copy of the Septuagint in Greek and am looking for a copy of Josephus Antiquities in Greek before diving in to identify these names in a language I can't claim to more than barely know.

I apologize for misleading anyone on this issue and will post a documented clarification as soon as I sort out the conflicting claims.

In the mean time if anyone has a link to Antiquities in Greek please let me know.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are forgiven, A_Nony

Now, say three hail mary's and four - no five - our fathers.

Your real punishment is to wade through all that stuff "in the greek".

Yikes.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Also - take a look at this link

Greek and English side by side...

http://pace.mcmaster.ca/york/york/showText?text=anti

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
DP

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:
Now, say three hail mary's and four - no five - our fathers.

Your real punishment is to wade through all that stuff "in the greek".

Yikes.

Mea maxima Culpa.

I am making controversial statements on this subject so I want to be certain I am as correct as possible.

I still may find my previous approach of consistency in unrelated translations was correct but those who claimed to read say otherwise. One says that rather that others or other tribe is in the original which translators have assumed to be the same group as on named in another place that is more like Philistine than Palestine. That bad. It might come down to different names being only a different traditional choice between religious and secular translators. So I would still be correct about consistant translation but not why they are consistant.

Yes, wading through the Greek will be the bitch. At least I am familiar with the alphabet from math and can sight pronounce it a bit.

Thanks for the link.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apologies accepted...

...but only if you aren't disfigured like your photoshopped, gnarled-face avatar!

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ Here you go, one of the best places to find Greek and Latin texts. It has a built in dictionary. It even has some sort of quick reference software. I dont know excatly how it works but you can click on any word of a text and have it pop up with a number of possible entries for the word. Enjoy!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Stosis wrote:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ Here you go, one of the best places to find Greek and Latin texts. It has a built in dictionary. It even has some sort of quick reference software. I dont know excatly how it works but you can click on any word of a text and have it pop up with a number of possible entries for the word. Enjoy!

You sure know how to ruin a guy's procrastination.

It has both Josephus and Herodotus and full text download as xml files which I have done.

lynx -dump -nomargins -width=77

strips out the xml notation and gives a text output -- which is fine for English but not the Greek. But it preserves the paragraph numbering so I can get close.

Thanks again.

BTW: lynx is an terminal based HTML browser and the -dump can get you most of the way to plain text for a saved html file. It should be carried on freshmeat.org with a version for MS should you have a use for such a thing.

www.ussliberty.org

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
freethinking?

whether one is an atheist or a theist doesn't the irony of this forum title occur to anyone given that theists are not allowed to post?...... looks  like intellectual cowardice to me!

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:whether one

freeminer wrote:

whether one is an atheist or a theist doesn't the irony of this forum title occur to anyone given that theists are not allowed to post?...... looks  like intellectual cowardice to me!

All other forums are 'up for grabs' for theists like yourself.

This one was made so that people like myself could escape people like you, and still be allowed to discuss and contemplate freely.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

freeminer wrote:

I do not recognize your name but the issue here is nothing theist at all. It is regarding the origin of the Yahweh cult just as there is an interest in the origins of the Jesus and Allah cults. It also relates to the poltical BS of zionism claiming Palestine did not exist until Rome invented the name.

To this issue it barely matters who used Philistine as it is always with the PH from Greek and thus could not have been used in bibleland until after Alexander. However I found that certain claims I had made regarding the usages of Palestine and Philistine are not as clearly attributed to the sources as I first suggested.

What I have found is there is nothing but religious tradition supporting the origin of the old testament stories but that the physical evidence puts its creation in the late 2nd early 1st c. BC and likley in Alexandria as it first appears in history as the Septuagint in Greek. That is just the way it is. This digression into which source uses which term bears upon the words as used and meant back when the stories first appeared. I have no idea where that will lead until I get into it. 

www.ussliberty.org